TJ09

2015-09-27 - Encyclopedia Update (and more)

except with 100% less broken necks.

I laughed a little harder than I should have when I read that. Once the holly update comes out, I'll have to make a banner. "Now with 100% less broken necks!"

I'm actually excited about whatever "including (but not limited to)" means in TJ's post. Sometimes the smaller updates are what really make a dragon look refreshed again. And always more dimorphism!

I've never completely stated my opinion on why I don't like sprite updates, but I think this is as good a place as any to speak on the issue.

I don't like sprite updates, because we cannot choose which sprites we see on our scrolls. If there was some way that we could see whichever sprite we wanted to see (in a way which did not hinder anyone else) I would have no complaints about sprite updates at all.

I respect that artists want to put their best work forward so to speak; I think that is wonderful. Everyone should seek to self improve, and offer their very best. However, for some of us the current sprite or past sprite represents something special. For me, the current and only Tsunami sprites represent a moment in time captured by a gorgeous work; that moment in time is when my favorite dragon was created. Right now the sprite is seen as a quality by the general public (both DC users and those who simply see the art here, but are not active scroll holders), and up to snuff with the status quo of the more current art in the cave. Unfortunately, that will not last. Sooner or later the art will continue to evolve here, and my beloved Tsunami sprite will no longer be seen as an impeccable offering to the site, and it will be changed.

Sure, the original sprite will always be in my heart and mean something to me, but I will no longer have the option of seeing it on the main site or on my scroll. A dragon I am both an avid collector and enthusiast of will change; it may become something I love more, it may become something I despise, but it will no longer be what I've come to enjoy and appreciate. That's what rustles my jimmies. Update every sprite you want as often as you want, but please give us the option to see what we wish to see. I like the sprite as it is because of what it is - I see it as a beautiful piece of art.

I am personally not fond of the Mona Lisa - it's a classic, sure, but it's lacking (I appreciate what it means in terms of progress in both the art world and that specific style, but I think it's absolutely hideous). However, I do not have the right to replace it with an update and ruin what it means to those who love it. Da Vinci would have the right to update it, being the original artist (if he were still alive), or having someone else do it with his permission, and there is nothing wrong with that. But I'm sure he would appreciate that the moment in time it both captured and represents to those who view it (as well as the other intrinsic values of art, such as stirring up emotions and memories) and love the original; thus he may update it with a newer piece, but would likely not destroy the original and take it from those who love it. You can replace this story with any other piece of art, from someone famous or otherwise, and get the gist of what I'm saying.

Change is not necessarily a good or a bad thing, but when options can be implemented, you have a better chance of pleasing more people AND still get exactly what you want (with an update).

Just my dull pennies on the matter.

Edited by Wahya

I've never completely stated my opinion on why I don't like sprite updates, but I think this is as good a place as any to speak on the issue.

I don't like sprite updates, because we cannot choose which sprites we see on our scrolls. If there was some way that we could see whichever sprite we wanted to see (in a way which did not hinder anyone else) I would have no complaints about sprite updates at all.

I respect that artists want to put their best work forward so to speak; I think that is wonderful. Everyone should seek to self improve, and offer their very best. However, for some of us the current sprite or past sprite represents something special. For me, the current and only Tsunami sprites represent a moment in time captured by a gorgeous work; that moment in time is when my favorite dragon was created. Right now the sprite is seen as a quality by the general public (both DC users and those who simply see the art here, but are not active scroll holders), and up to snuff with the status quo of the more current art in the cave. Unfortunately, that will not last. Sooner or later the art will continue to evolve here, and my beloved Tsunami sprite will no longer be seen as an impeccable offering to the site, and it will be changed.

Sure, the original sprite will always be in my heart and mean something to me, but I will no longer have the option of seeing it on the main site or on my scroll. A dragon I am both an avid collector and enthusiast of will change; it may become something I love more, it may become something I despise, but it will no longer be what I've come to enjoy and appreciate. That's what rustles my jimmies. Update every sprite you want as often as you want, but please give us the option to see what we wish to see. I like the sprite as it is because of what it is - I see it as a beautiful piece of art.

I am personally not fond of the Mona Lisa - it's a classic, sure, but it's lacking (I appreciate what it means in terms of progress in both the art world and that specific style, but I think it's absolutely hideous). However, I do not have the right to replace it with an update and ruin what it means to those who love it. Da Vinci would have the right to update it, being the original artist (if he were still alive), or having someone else do it with his permission, and there is nothing wrong with that. But I'm sure he would appreciate that the moment in time it both captured and represents to those who view it (as well as the other intrinsic values of art, such as stirring up emotions and memories) and love the original; thus he may update it with a newer piece, but would likely not destroy the original and take it from those who love it. You can replace this story with any other piece of art, from someone famous or otherwise, and get the gist of what I'm saying.

Change is not necessarily a good or a bad thing, but when options can be implemented, you have a better chance of pleasing more people AND still get exactly what you want (with an update).

I like you ! Not least on the Mona Lisa thing. And as for Michelangelo's David....

There is something to be said for retaining history alongside new things. Westminster Abbey is not exactly functionally ideal - but - well, wanna rebuild ?

The moment I read about this update, I snagged a horse from the AP, and as it turns out, it's a 3g Thuwed! I'm so excited to see how s/he will look after the update! smile.gif

Also, am I the only one who thinks the 2007 Holiday hatchlings look like recolors of Dark Green hatchlings?

I like you ! Not least on the Mona Lisa thing. And as for Michelangelo's David....

There is something to be said for retaining history alongside new things. Westminster Abbey is not exactly functionally ideal - but - well, wanna rebuild ?

Picasso's work have some serious anatomy issues. ... Just saying.

The moment I read about this update, I snagged a horse from the AP, and as it turns out, it's a 3g Thuwed! I'm so excited to see how s/he will look after the update! smile.gif

Also, am I the only one who thinks the 2007 Holiday hatchlings look like recolors of Dark Green hatchlings?

Because they are. See also Reds and Bright Pinks.

I basically just roll with it, and if I don't like it then I won't worry about collecting those dragons. Yeah it sucks, and yeah people love the current sprites. But making a big deal out of it is just going to make matters worse. I understand (believe me I LOVE the old golds) but I just keep on going on, knowing that there are going to be prettier sprites to come. *cough* Xenos, Heralds *cough*

Awesome, can't wait to see the updates!

I do really like the silvers as they're now, but I'm sure I will love the new sprites as well ^^

I'm curious if TJ could post the sprite changes on the front page so people could actually see them before hand. I realize a lot of people are on a fence with this kind of thing until they can actually see the new sprite replacing the one they have known. Honestly change isn't always bad but neither is holding onto something you like, both opinions make a lot of sense.

It's supposed to be a surprise, something nice for us.

There are clearly people who do not like surprises, and those who do, and people who both enjoy and fear surprises at the same time, and those who are all meh about everything. We got 'em all on this site - it would make a great psychology paper.

ROFL! Yeah, let's redo Guernica with some "small shading and anatomy tweaks". cool.gif

Still anxious about the Silvers, though. And I don't really want to look at 250+ Flamingos to unlock the last bit of Encyclopedia trivia... huh.gif Oh well. But I do appreciate the other updates.

Ooooooo can't wait to see all of the updates!!!! Particularly silvers and male horses...

The only thing missing here is our eighth egg slot >.>

Ooooooo can't wait to see all of the updates!!!! Particularly silvers and male horses...

The only thing missing here is our eighth egg slot >.>

THIS.

I've already posted, but just wanted to agree with the extra egg slot thing >3>

However, I also wanted to add on that the Horse dragon was actually my first (although female she is) So this is just awesome <3!

Edited by Cupup889

Picasso was a master of anatomy. The thing is there is a vast difference between deliberate distortion to make an artistic statement and error.

And it's more than likely that some sprites on the site will never look "dated." Some art ages better than other. There are other sprites equally as old as the ones being discussed for update. Why isn't there a big discussion on replacing those? Because they still hold their own against the newer sprites. It doesn't mean the original artists were bad artists.

I'm in complete agreement. The world is update crazy. Old does not mean bad any more than new means great. They're both and neither. Updating things just for the sake of updating it makes me wanna bang my head on a desk.

A choice in what we see on our own scrolls (old or new) is something I'd love, but doubt we'll ever see due to file and programming restraints.

Silvers have been my favorite sprites since I joined DC. I wait with absolute dread to see what's being done to them. I've had sprites I loved become something I despised after something as "simple" as a recoloring. I found the new colors neither pleasing, or complimentary to the sprite itself.

*sigh*

And yeah, the Mona Lisa is pretty meh, but it beats abstracts. wink.gif

I'm in complete agreement. The world is update crazy. Old does not mean bad any more than new means great. They're both and neither. Updating things just for the sake of updating it makes me wanna bang my head on a desk.

Old also doesn't mean great, and new doesn't always mean bad either. It goes both ways, holding onto something purely for tradition isn't always the greatest way either. There needs to be a balance between old and new, not being necessarily update crazy, but also not clinging to the old with both hands.

I will use the whiptail as an example. It is a sprite that was updated fairly recently, and I saw very few, if any, complaints about it. It is an example of a change that was almost universally was hailed as good.

Edited by Nectaris

Yay for updates! Glad to see the encyclopedia info released. And I'm looking forward to the implementation of sprite updates! Offhand, I can't think of an update that I wasn't more pleased by in the end than the original. (Certainly understand anxiety over waiting to see the new versions, though, especially where lineages are concerned.)

Well, I'm really sad. The Silvers were my favorites ever since I started playing. No matter what the new sprites look like, they won't be the Silvers that I have loved and worked so hard to collect for the past almost seven years. I also love my Hollies just the way they are, with their funny necks and cartoon shading. Looks like the last of the game I used to care so much about is fading away. Gonna go cry now.

Well, I'm really sad. The Silvers were my favorites ever since I started playing. No matter what the new sprites look like, they won't be the Silvers that I have loved and worked so hard to collect for the past almost seven years. I also love my Hollies just the way they are, with their funny necks and cartoon shading. Looks like the last of the game I used to care so much about is fading away. Gonna go cry now.

I feel your pain.

Like they say! of it ain't broke Don't fix it.. Why mess about with them now? i like them the way they are.. I will be so sad to have them changed now... sad.gif

HATE! HATE! HATE! The Idea... mad.gif

Edited by Anniepimm

I'll never understand nostalgia. >_>

Sticking to something because you like it isn't exactly nostalgia.

I like the current Silver sprites too, but I'm still looking forward to seeing them updated.