Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

On 12/2/2019 at 12:58 PM, DarkellaLord said:

Do we breed Christmas dragons on December only? Or we can breed them all the year round? Can you tell me from your experience . is it hard to get holiday dragons you've missed from previous years? There are some I really want to get, but I am confused how.

It's usually the 7 days leading up to the 25th. Or something. You can easily check if the breeding season for Holiday dragons has arrived by looking at a leetle tree. If it turns into a Christmas tree like Leetle_Tree.gif, you can breed the Winter Holidays. (It is easy to mix up with the regular winter tree, which looks like this: Winter_Leetle_Tree.gif When the leetle winter tree turns up, the breeding season is over.)

And, just in case you don't have a leetle tree of your own, here's a link to mine: Reucu.gif  (Currently in autumn form.)

Edited by olympe

I just hid one of my posts - there wasn't anything bad in it, I just realized I'd jumped into a discussion that I didn't want to engage in. Which got me curious - what actually happens to hidden posts? I can't see it now to edit it or anything. Is it deleted?

Just now, Twimm said:

Which got me curious - what actually happens to hidden posts? I can't see it now to edit it or anything. Is it deleted?

They are just hidden from public view. I suspect that mods could still check them if someone had reported a post before it got hidden, but to the regular user, they are as good as deleted.

I know for a fact that mods can see hidden posts and even restore them if they wish. But no one else, including yourself, can see them.

So, I just had a refusal despite using fertility on one of the dragons before breeding them - wasn't fertility meant to prevent such things from happening? Fortunately, I can replace the mates, but it's still frustrating...

7 minutes ago, stagazer_7 said:

So, I just had a refusal despite using fertility on one of the dragons before breeding them - wasn't fertility meant to prevent such things from happening? Fortunately, I can replace the mates, but it's still frustrating...

It GREATLY reduces the chances but doesn't set them to zero  I've had almost no misbehaving since taht change in the mechanics but it's not impossible :(

1 hour ago, stagazer_7 said:

I can only recall one refusal after fertility since that was changed (and I breed a lot of new pairs), but as Herk says it is not 100% guaranteed.

Other refusals that still always happen:

- neutral-element holiday + GoN

- holiday + holiday (of course you knew that)

- holiday + something else which had refused prior to an earlier holiday breeding week already

13 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

@stagazer_7 Was one of the dragons a Turpentine?

@Confused Cat No, a Solstice and Lunar herald, I'm working on some holiday lines before the big holiday breeding week starts. ;)

Also thanks for the answers @Herk@Ruby Eyes and @purplehaze! :)

Edited by stagazer_7

What happens if you EQ a sunrise/sunset egg outside the hatching window? Does it always just die/do nothing or can it actually hatch. 

I saw a Vampire dragon that had a lineage which usually means another Vampire bit it. However, there’s no “bitten by” anywhere on the dragon’s profile. Does this mean the one who bit it was released into the wild? Or, is it a glitch?

Bitten by came in only a couple of years ago. Anything bitten before then, it doesn't show.

This one of mine was bitten by another of mine, but it doesn't say so.

https://dragcave.net/view/uIat

Edited by Fuzzbucket

42 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Bitten by came in only a couple of years ago. Anything bitten before then, it doesn't show.

This one of mine was bitten by another of mine, but it doesn't say so.

https://dragcave.net/view/uIat

LOL, "a couple of years ago", as in around 9+ plus retroactively for anything bitten around 9.75 years ago. Considering the Bite BSA came out around 10 years ago, that's like most of the time. :lol:

As a matter of fact, I can pretty much pinpoint when the change to display "bitten" lineages got into effect:

@Solaries I have one vampire that was bitten on March 18, 2010. She has no "bitten by" entry. (I'm 90% sure she was my first successful bite, that lady is my 2nd vampire.) https://dragcave.net/view/0kr8

I also have one vampire that was bitten somewhere between March 27 (egg laid date) and April 1 (hatching date) of the same year, and he has a "bitten by" entry. https://dragcave.net/view/BPO8

The 2nd one's sire, https://dragcave.net/lineage/iPGO, is one of those vampires with a lineage, but no "bitten by" entry. The reason is simple: The dragon was bred (thus the lineage), but bitten before "vampire lineages" were acknowledged and put down in the database. If you actually look at that lineage, you'll find that there's no other vampire in there, it's just a regular lineage, which even lets you guess at its original breed - either stone, green or geode. Since geodes were pretty rare back then, it was probably a geode-fail.

23 minutes ago, olympe said:

LOL, "a couple of years ago", as in around 9+ plus retroactively for anything bitten around 9.75 years ago. Considering the Bite BSA came out around 10 years ago, that's like most of the time. :lol:

As a matter of fact, I can pretty much pinpoint when the change to display "bitten" lineages got into :

@Solaries

I am 75 years old. 10 years is moments to me.. :lol:

I cannot delete that ping. How odd are the ways of a tablet!

2 hours ago, Solaries said:

I saw a Vampire dragon that had a lineage which usually means another Vampire bit it. However, there’s no “bitten by” anywhere on the dragon’s profile. Does this mean the one who bit it was released into the wild? Or, is it a glitch?

The Bitten by stats were implemented in Dec. 2010, two years after the Vamps first appearance in the cave. TJ had to import the data for anything bitten before that date manually:

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I cannot delete that ping. How odd are the ways of a tablet!

It's not just your tablet. Pings behave oddly and sometimes don't want to leave. :rolleyes:

Thank you, @Fuzzbucket, @olympe, and @rinoa26!

Your explanations all made sense now. I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen a Vampire without “bitten by” aside from your examples. 😆

Edit: I just checked the Vampire in question again and the time it was “laid, hatched, and grew up” are in 2011. From everyone’s explanations, anything after April 2010 would have the “bitten by”, correct?

Edited by Solaries

@Solaries It definitely should have, yes. So it's a bug - probably either related to the sire being killed, released, zombiefied or the scroll being burnt. At least those would be my suspects. :) 

On 12/7/2019 at 12:14 PM, Ruffledfeathers said:

What happens if you EQ a sunrise/sunset egg outside the hatching window? Does it always just die/do nothing or can it actually hatch. 

I once EQ'd three at once outside their window and they all died. They're guaranteed to not hatch, but I think odds of killing them are greater than leaving them unharmed.

People DO use that thread - but PM a mod if you're worried.