Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

What happens to the eggs that are in the biomes when no one picks them up? Some eggs just disappear when it's time for another 5 minute drop. Are they dropped later on in the future, or are their codes recycled and given to a different egg?

On the 5m drops, the eggs get shuffled. The ones from the front disappear somewhere into the back of the queue, but they're still there. If you want to prove it for yourself, open a biome page at XX:X4 and some odd seconds, wait until XX:X6, and try to grab one of the eggs. You'll still be able to, even though the egg isn't visible from the biome page anymore.

On the hourdrops, the eggs get completely recycled. Anything left in the queue is destroyed and new eggs are generated.

.....Is it possible to be too curious?

Nope.

Is there still a character limit for descriptions?

I assume the counter is not showing up for you either? I will go report.

When will the name thingo be implemented? In which people could 'steal' names off of those who have been inactive for a v long time?

Edited by Master0fPuppets

When will the name thingo be implemented? In which people could 'steal' names off of those who have been inactive for a v long time?

No one but TJ can answer that.

On the hourdrops, the eggs get completely recycled. Anything left in the queue is destroyed and new eggs are generated.

Might be worth noting, since 'destroyed' might be ambiguous to readers: The eggs that weren't picked up all turn into egg shells, i.e. dead eggs.

Edited by pinkgothic

Might be worth noting, since 'destroyed' might be ambiguous to readers: The eggs that weren't picked up all turn into egg shells, i.e. dead eggs.

I'm not saying that is not true but how do you know that?

I'm not saying that is not true but how do you know that?

Follow an egg's view code and see what happens to it after the refresh, I imagine?

Yeah I've done that too. It displays a dead egg graphic, for sure, though I never interpreted that to mean it was a literal dead egg in the same sense as they can be on our scrolls, though - to me it was just a 'this egg is unavailable forever now' kind of image. But it's entirely possible they are quite literally dead eggs, same as we'd get on our scrolls.

I assume the counter is not showing up for you either? I will go report.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. (Thanks AGYK for answering though, hehe.) There used to also be a progress bar-type-thing under the description box. Figured I would ask instead of cause trouble to reviewers by experimenting with description length.

Follow an egg's view code and see what happens to it after the refresh, I imagine?

Oh I did not think of that. Thank you. Anyway, I went after this egg and it shows as an Wild Egg. Actually it was showing that way even just before the hour. Anyway, I'm stalking it to see what and when happens to it.

Uh oh. Now the egg can't be found. Interesting. I doubt that someone would hide an Olive so... what happened to it? No broken shell. Will try with a few other commons.

Edited by NotBambi

I imagine it "dies" but then TJ wants the code back so he vaporises it ?

This is something that's been bothering me for a while now...

When you get the message "they don't show much interest in each other" as a breeding outcome, does that suggest incompatibility on an individual level (i.e. Sally doesn't like Bob) or a breed level (i.e. Gold x Silver isn't very likely to give eggs)? Has anyone kept detailed breeding logs on this, or noticed a pair that used to get the message a lot suddenly deciding to give lots of eggs?

When you get the message "they don't show much interest in each other" as a breeding outcome, does that suggest incompatibility on an individual level (i.e. Sally doesn't like Bob) or a breed level (i.e. Gold x Silver isn't very likely to give eggs)? Has anyone kept detailed breeding logs on this, or noticed a pair that used to get the message a lot suddenly deciding to give lots of eggs?

I think it's PERSONAL. I have a gold x green nebbie pair (not a huge issue as a breed thing - my lineage is chuntering along nicely !) who do that A LOT. They did ONCE give an egg - which went the wrong colour ! but they really aren't keen. I look on it as being not that interested in each other or maybe just not in sex... xd.png

I could try them with others, I suppose. I will do...

I believe it's a personal level. I have no conclusive data for this, but a few of my common x common pairs are stubborn. The most notable example is this Gold Wyvern x Royal Blue pair - I have only a dozen eggs from them since August 2015.

The reason I think that pair is notable is because there was an entire breeding project focused on GW x RB, which seemed to do pretty well. I feel like a breed incompatibility would have shown up with that much focus on that pairing.

Incompatibility on an individual level: refusal.

Not in the mood to breed at all: no interest by these particular dragons right now. They might just need a break.

They liked each other, but the to-be-laid breed is less likely to get laid right now (due to "ratios"): no egg produced.

Well, I have some pairings that are pretty stubbornly "not interested". Two of them are magma x bronze shimmer from my checkers. Of course, this happens where the mate is as good as irreplacable. :/ Since I have at least one other magma x bronze shimmer pairing which does like each other quite well (but cannot produce checkers...), I know this is more of an individual thing.

My experience is similar: "no interest" vs. "no egg" seem to reflect how well a pair of individuals like each other. Independent of the ratios and breeds, some pairs seem just less likely to be willing to breed (i.e. "no interest" vs. "no egg or egg"), which I interpret as different levels of attraction. They're not incompatible (or they'd refuse), they just don't like each other very much.

Of course, you can't infer this from one or two breedings. But if you keep breeding the same pair, you sure get a tendency (at least, I do tongue.gif).

Edited by Lastalda

The first ever silver I got (years ago) gave "no interest" for pretty much every dragon I tried to pair her with. Tried for 2 years and only ever got a couple of eggs from her. finely decided she was just "anti-social" lol. But most of the time, they just don't feel like it that week. smile.gif

I do keep quite detailed recordings on my breedings since over a year (starting Feb 2015), and looking at the data I got from there most pairings which decide to give me me "no interest" on a regular base do so for the first time within the first two weeks. I keep breeding them together nevertheless, and often get an egg out of them after some time. In my breedings I don't see the tendency of pairings "growing tired" of each other, but then again I don't breed that much so this can just be a rough interpretation. Looking at my stats it seems to be an individual thing though and nothing which is happening between two specific breeds in general.

I imagine it "dies" but then TJ wants the code back so he vaporises it ?

After "stalking" a few eggs in the biomes, here is what I figured out:

- When the egg shows in a biome, its View shows it as Wild egg

- Once the next shuffle gets it out of the biome, its View still shows it as Wild egg

- As soon as there's the hourly refresh, the egg does not exist anymore; no broken shell, just gone like it had never existed.

I've kept absurdly detailed logs, exactly for this reason. Never noticed any oddities to suggest it was on a species basis. smile.gif I can share my data with you if you want. Hit me up in PM if you're interested!

After "stalking" a few eggs in the biomes, here is what I figured out:

- When the egg shows in a biome, its View shows it as Wild egg

- Once the next shuffle gets it out of the biome,  its View still shows it as Wild egg

- As soon as there's the hourly refresh, the egg does not exist anymore; no broken shell, just gone like it had never existed.

Thanks so much for checking! That's different from June 2013 (holy...! I didn't realise it had been that long since I checked, my bad!).

Edited by pinkgothic

not sure if I remember this right or if it's just been a figment of my imagination but I recall that TJ said at some point that we'd be able to change our usernames in the future? Does anyone know if this will ever get implemented? I'm honestly quite tired of the random, ugly scroll name I picked when I was 13, hehe. Thanks!

not sure if I remember this right or if it's just been a figment of my imagination but I recall that TJ said at some point that we'd be able to change our usernames in the future? Does anyone know if this will ever get implemented? I'm honestly quite tired of the random, ugly scroll name I picked when I was 13, hehe. Thanks!

You recall correctly that he did say something about working on a way for us to change our own user names. But there has been nothing more said about it and that was a looooong time ago, so . . . is it really going to happen or not? No one but TJ knows. There is a suggestion about it in the Suggestion/Requests forum. You might want to go there and post to bump that thread up.

When is DC's anniversary? I know it's soon, but I can't remember the day.

I believe it's either the 20th or the 21st of May. This year DC will be turning 10 years old.