Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

Ok, I am not sure if I am in the right place or if this has been discussed already, but - whenever there is a drop in the cave(mostly happens with the 00 or 30 ones with me), I would first get a "No eggs found here" message, then refresh to see the eggs that were there before the message, refresh again or try to switch to a different biome and then the whole thing freezes for quite a few seconds... It happens to me wherever I play, so it isn't something to do with my internet speed or my computer as it happens on different machines, it also doesn't seem to be related to the amount of users currently online. It is extremely annoying as I feel like I may be missing out on the good stuff, as mostly when it finally unfreezes and lets me properly refresh I only see commons... Is this something that happens to everyone/a lot of people/literally anybody else? And is there something I can do to fix it somehow?

Unfortunately a lot of people are affected by the top of the hour lag, myself included. I don't think there's anything we can do about it o our end.

My theory is, at the top of the hour, or even at the half, tons of people suddenly surge on the cave to see the refreshed set up, and that causes the lag.

Yeah, it's totally normal.. along with the eggs vanishing for a little bit before the set up; that's the cave purging anything that hasn't been picked up and replacing them with new eggs.

My theory is, at the top of the hour, or even at the half, tons of people suddenly surge on the cave to see the refreshed set up, and that causes the lag.

I don't think that totally explains it. It seems to happen no matter the number of people in the biomes. I have seen it happen when there were less than 10 people in each biome -- and only 1 or 2 in some of them.

At the bottom of this post you can find where it will teach you how to code in images and image links :3

Thank you very much biggrin.gif

Sadly, I see it even even when there are like 2 people on the biome(both before and after refresh), so it doesn't seem like it would really explain it, the site should be able to handle far greater demand than this, otherwise holiday catching would've been an absolute nightmare... I just wanted to know that I am not the only one getting this, I get that the eggs vanishing is normal, but this lag was bothering me as I have only started experiencing it about a year ago or so(i've been playing on and off for more than 4 years now), but I didn't mind it as much since I was away for most of the year, but now that I am back and trying to get more dragons for trades or simply to fill my scroll gaps it just gets extremely frustrating, as I feel like if only portion of the people is affected by it then it makes the game unfair as it becomes harder for us to catch the eggs than for other players for no good reason

If lag at the top of the hour is bothersome then try catching at the 5-minute intervals. The same effect is there with the shuffle, but there is generally a lot less lag. It's true that the lag still exists even without the other players because of the cave reset when the system wipes away the current eggs to replace with the new ones, so when there are lots of people refreshing to see what's new the effect can be doubled.

Edited by ParticleSoup

The lag is being caused by inefficient or poorly scalable code. I don't know exactly what or where, but I am certain - from my past experience running a similar game - that this is the source of the problem. It is possible, even probable, that TJ is well aware of this, but cannot locate the problematical bit of code, or else (less likely) he knows where the problem is but doesn't know how to fix it. Coding can be remarkably difficult even for seemingly simple things, alas!

If lag at the top of the hour is bothersome then try catching at the 5-minute intervals. The same effect is there with the shuffle, but there is generally a lot less lag. It's true that the lag still exists even without the other players because of the cave reset when the system wipes away the current eggs to replace with the new ones, so when there are lots of people refreshing to see what's new the effect can be doubled.

While this is obviously a workaround and what I have been doing, I do feel like it's somewhat of an inadequate "solution", as 5 minute drops are smaller than the top of the hour ones, and in my experience they include less rare dragons(the latter may just be my perception of it, donno if it's *science*), and I experience the lag with the 5 minute drops too, but not always... I just hope that it gets fixed soon, as the problem seems to be new(ish) or has simply became worse over time and it sort of spoils some of the fun of the game since I am less inclined to get more CBs for new lineage projects or trades

Sadly, I see it even even when there are like 2 people on the biome(both before and after refresh), so it doesn't seem like it would really explain it,

The site doesn't update the number of people every second. So the displayed number is not always accurate. I forget how often it updates, but we talked about this a while ago. So there site could show 5 people in the biome but there is really 10. Because the people showed up after the number was updated.

The site doesn't update the number of people every second. So the displayed number is not always accurate. I forget how often it updates, but we talked about this a while ago. So there site could show 5 people in the biome but there is really 10. Because the people showed up after the number was updated.

It updates every minute. Regardless, except on holidays/new releases, I doubt the jump of people at the top of the hour could (alone) explain the regular lag.

I cannot use BSAs on one of my eggs even though it still has 4 days and 22 hours left. I wanted to incubate it, but it didn't show up on the list of eggs at all when I tried to use the action. Then I tried to influence it, and again, it did not show up on the list even though all my other eggs do. (And no, it hasn't already been influenced. Then it would say so.)

Do you have it in a teleport or trade?

Wow. I didn't even realise. Thanks, time to go to bed now biggrin.gif

If the egg was killed with the kill action or one of the BSAs that can cause death, then it counts for exactly 24 hours to the second from the time of death. If it dies from illness or lack of views it does not count against your total at all.

And yes, the answer can be found in the FAQs (Pinned at the top of this section):

Q: Do dead eggs count towards the egg "limit"?

A: Yes, manually killed eggs count for a day (24 hours). Vampire bite kills and earthquake kills count as manually killed eggs. This is to make waiting the five hours to abandon a caveborn egg more desirable than killing said egg.

Edited by purplehaze

I looked in the FAQ, but I didn't find the exact answer I was looking for:

If I bred 2 dragons, and they don't show interest, does that mean they will never refuse each other from then on? I just wanna know when a refusal happens, like if they refuse, it was from day 1 and not like egg>no interest>no egg>egg>refusal.

If I bred 2 dragons, and they don't show interest, does that mean they will never refuse each other from then on? I just wanna know when a refusal happens, like if they refuse, it was from day 1 and not like egg>no interest>no egg>egg>refusal.

If a refusal is going to happen it will always happen immediately. No interest means they'll never refuse smile.gif

The only time you may get a "surprise" refusal after two dragons have already bred is when one (or both) is a holiday dragon. Refusals are turned off during holiday breeding, but the same two dragons may refuse the rest of the year. In that situation only. smile.gif

On the first breeding, if you get a refusal, those two will never breed again. However, if you get "no interest" "bred but no egg", they will still breed again in the future with potential for an egg. Once they've "agreed to breed" they will never refuse each other.

On the first breeding, if you get a refusal, those two will never breed again.

Except during holidays - if one is a holiday dragon.

Why are my male and female signs replaced with letters? I keep confusing frozen hatchlings for adults.

Your browser might just have failed to load the according fonts. Try clearing your cache and refreshing?

Why are my male and female signs replaced with letters? I keep confusing frozen hatchlings for adults.

It happens. Click here to fix.

http://dragcave.net/check

It happens. Click here to fix.

http://dragcave.net/check

Tried the link, page still not fixed. Also the text is in all the wrong places.

EDIT: Youtube is also different? Maybe it's my browser? Aaaaa man what did I do?!?!

Edited by Tango