Lantean_Pegasus

Travel through Europe

3rd to 5th:

Three of these:

Yerevan - Armenia

Baku - Azerbaijan

Tbilisi - Georgia

Astana - Kazakhstan

Thank you for your input, Shroomlet. If no one has anything against it, I will include your first two suggestions in the list for the vote. The others, however, are not within the geographical borders of Europe, so they will not be nominated. (Some of their nations have European territory, but if you want to include that you'll have to choose a city that is actually situated there and meets the other criteria.)

@Beldarius:

Yey - more cities ! laugh.gif Thank you ! (And looking at the explanations, they do sound quite interesting !)

@everyone:

I'll try and complete my candidates today, tomorrow at the latest - and everyone else should do so, too ! If I don't get some more nominations, I'll probably give some more time, but I had hoped that the whole affair would raise a little more interest. wink.gif

My choice of cities:

1. Heidelberg (Germany): The first university on territory now being part of Germany was founded in Heidelberg and the city is famous for it. There is a castle and many other buildings that are worth being visited.

2. Petersburg (Russia): former imperial capital and cultural capital of Russia

3. Marseille (France): A city founded by the Greeks, Marseille has an important Mediterranean port. The French national anthem is called the Marseillaise because soldiers from Marseille sang it when they marched on Paris during the French Revolution.

4. The Hague (Netherlands): residence of the Dutch monarchy, also the city where the International Court of Justice and the International Criminal Court are located

My choices for new cities:

Cardiff - capital of Wales

Carmarthen - legendary birthplace of Merlin

Istanbul - capital of the former Ottoman Empire

Venice - historically important city-state on the trade route between Europe and the Ottoman Empire

Hi everyone and sorry for just dropping in like this.

I am not yet a member but would like to be a host of one of the new cities being up for selection in the coming weeks - I'd revive one of the inactive territories, but I'd really love to add my favorite cave-breed, the Blusangs, to the mix.

So if the current travellers don't mind, I'd very much like to chime in on the selection progress.

Here are my suggestions for new cities:

1st: The Hague - Netherlands.

Reason (from here): "The city of The Hague contributes substantially to international politics: The Hague is home to over 150 international organisations. These include the International Court of Justice (ICJ), the International Criminal Court (ICC), the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), and the Appeals Chamber of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR). The Hague is the fourth major centre for the United Nations, after New York, Geneva and Vienna. In line with the city's history as an important convention center and the current presence of institutions such as the ICJ, The Hague's city council employs a city branding strategy that aims to establish The Hague as the Legal Capital of the World and the International City of Peace and Justice."

2nd: Frankfurt - Germany.

Reason (from here): "Since the enlargement of the European Union in 2013, the geographic centre of the EU is about 40 km (25 mi) east of Frankfurt.

Due to its central location within Germany and Europe, Frankfurt is a major air, rail and highway transport hub. Frankfurt Airport is one of the world's busiest international airports by passenger traffic and the main hub for Germany's flag carrier Lufthansa, the largest airline in Europe. Frankfurt Central Station is one of the largest terminal stations in Europe and the busiest junction operated by Deutsche Bahn, the German national railway company, with 342 daily trains to domestic and European destinations. Frankfurter Kreuz, the Autobahn interchange close to the airport, is the most heavily used interchange in the EU with approximately 320,000 cars daily."

3rd to 5th:

Three of these:

Yerevan - Armenia

Baku - Azerbaijan

Tbilisi - Georgia

Astana - Kazakhstan

Reason: They are European capitals not yet included in the project. All are partially European territories, like Turkey. I just thought the other two cities very important, too, and more complicated to reason for, so I leave these four up for discussion / suggestion by others. I tried to decide which of them to leave out of my post, as we are only supposed to list 5, but the choice is one too tough for me to make.

Here are my amended cities:

(According to Wikipedia, all the cities I mentioned before are - like Turkey - partially European. Azerbaijan even won the European Song Contest once.)

3rd: Basel - Switzerland.

Reason (from here): Located where the Swiss, French and German borders meet, Basel also has suburbs in France and Germany. The Basel region, culturally extending into German Baden-Württemberg and French Alsace, reflects the heritage of its three states in the modern Latin name: "Regio TriRhena". It has the oldest university of the Swiss Confederation (1460). Basel is among the most important cultural centres of Switzerland. The city comprises a large number of theatres and many museums, including the Museum of Fine Arts, the world's oldest art collection accessible to the public.

4th: Strasbourg - France.

Reason (from here): It is the official seat of the European Parliament. Additionally, Strasbourg is the seat of several European institutions, such as the Council of Europe (with its European Court of Human Rights, its European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines and its European Audiovisual Observatory) and the Eurocorps, as well as the European Parliament and the European Ombudsman of the European Union. The city is also the seat of the Central Commission for Navigation on the Rhine and the International Institute of Human Rights. Strasbourg's historic city centre, the Grande Île (Grand Island), was classified a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1988, the first time such an honour was placed on an entire city centre.

5th: Barcelona - Spain.

Reason (from here): It is the capital city of the autonomous community of Catalonia. Barcelona has a rich cultural heritage and is today an important cultural centre and a major tourist destination. Particularly renowned are the architectural works of Antoni Gaudí and Lluís Domènech i Montaner, which have been designated UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Barcelona is one of the world's leading tourist, economic, trade fair/exhibitions and cultural-sports centres, and its influence in commerce, education, entertainment, media, fashion, science, and the arts all contribute to its status as one of the world's major global cities. It is a transport hub with one of Europe's principal seaports, an international airport which handles above 35 million passengers per year, an extensive motorway network and a high-speed rail line with a link to France and the rest of Europe.

Since we don't have that many suggestions yet, I intentionally chose different cities from those mentioned already.

Edited by Shroomlet

I'll probably give some more time, but I had hoped that the whole affair would raise a little more interest. wink.gif

I'm happy to go along with what the majority of the seasoned thread users want.

I'm not well-travelled (and definitely not well educated) enough to know much about the cities of Europe without taking the time to look the lot up on google. Then I'd feel like I'd cheated because I didn't know it in the first place!

This thread is both fun and educational for me, whichever of everyone's favourite choices get picked.

Thank you for your input, Shroomlet. If no one has anything against it, I will include your first two suggestions in the list for the vote. The others, however, are not within the geographical borders of Europe, so they will not be nominated. (Some of their nations have European territory, but if you want to include that you'll have to choose a city that is actually situated there and meets the other criteria.)

@Beldarius:

Yey - more cities ! laugh.gif Thank you ! (And looking at the explanations, they do sound quite interesting !)

@everyone:

I'll try and complete my candidates today, tomorrow at the latest - and everyone else should do so, too ! If I don't get some more nominations, I'll probably give some more time, but I had hoped that the whole affair would raise a little more interest. wink.gif

I'm EXTREMELY interested. I THINK I already said what I wanted though ! (I HOPE I did....)

@fuzzbucket:

Well, many ideas were bandied back and forth, and yours were among them. smile.gif But to compile the list for voting, I'll need your 3 to 5 personal favourites. (The procedure is explained here.)

@quinney:

The suggestions are definitely not meant to be only made from personal experience. I guess there are very few among us who could come up with five major cities in different European countries that they visited. wink.gif

So if there are places you find in Google or Wiki or whatever, and deem cool to visit, go ahead and nominate them. (If they meet the criteria.) You don't have to, of course, I just wanted to make sure that you know you are welcome to !

@Shroomlet:

Well, most countries that the cities you mentioned belong to, have some European territory. But the cities themselves are in Asia, geographically speaking. And I figured that we should travel what belongs to Europe geographically, not politically (or via the ESC). (I know, the original list brought one or two oddities there, but I'd like to keep it at that.)

And your new list is really interesting ! smile.gif

@catstaff & Altiron:

Thank you for your lists !

@catstaff:

To keep some national diversity, the suggestions are limited to only one city from any country per person. So, sadly, you'll have to take out/replace either Cardiff or Carmarthen. sad.gif

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

Make an offer on my eggs/hatchlings!

Here's a new ticket to Nicosia, Cyprus. Hopefully the weather holds.

Offered a ticket to Brussels.

As for new cities:

1. Bruges - Belgium: As a Belgian, I can assure you that our capital pales in comparison to the "Venice of the north" aka Bruges. Add in it's rich history, and you've got yourself a great destination.

2. Florence - Italy: One of the greatest cities of Italy, the birthplace of the Renaissance is actually the city I enjoyed most of all during my trip trough Italy last year.

3. Barcelona - Spain: The 2nd largest city in Spain and home of the largest stadium of Europe (Camp Nou) is probably in top 3 list of cities I want to visit IRL, as well as here biggrin.gif.

4. Saint Petersburg - Russia: The 2nd largest city of Russia and it's cultural capital, Petersburg is another city with a rich history, including some name changes (Petrograd and Leningrad).

@catstaff:

To keep some national diversity, the suggestions are limited to only one city from any country per person. So, sadly, you'll have to take out/replace either Cardiff or Carmarthen. sad.gif

Whoops!

Well, take out Carmarthen, then. Wales is apparently considered its own country within the United Kingdom, so Cardiff needs to make the list as its capital.

Travelling Europe !

Travellers involved: fuzzbucket, Lokiphantom

Capitals travelled: Zagreb (Dublin egg will be offered in return as soon as I get one!)

@fuzzbucket:

Well, many ideas were bandied back and forth, and yours were among them. smile.gif But to compile the list for voting, I'll need your 3 to 5 personal favourites. (The procedure is explained here.)

Oops. OK

• Edinburgh - because it is the capital of Scotland and may soon be the capital of an independent country and I like it anyway !
  • Pristina - because I am one of those who has always recognised Kosovo and thought it should have been in already
  • Marseille - because France is HUGE and should have another city and Marseille is very historic and a long way from Paris (if not Marseille, Nimes, for sheer MASSIVE historical significance - the Roman amphitheatre is the best preserved in France, maybe even anywhere...) and I'd rather run with history than size
  • Milano - again, Italy's size, and I'd rather Milano than Venice as whatever tourist agents may have you believe (gondolas, anyone xd.png ?) it is a far more significant city.
  • And for Germany I am really suffering. My heart says Bremen, as my first love in the country - though since they built that vile Parliament building it isn't what it was mad.gifbut I feel it OUGHT to be Dresden... but I will run with Bremen.
Edited by fuzzbucket

i have finally caught up reading the new city adding phase.

Just in time it seems.

RL had been very busy, but keep in mind i am always reachable by pm.

1. Tromso - Norway: Not only is Norway my personal favorite country but Tromso is also worth visiting. It's the capital of the most northern part of Norway and you can find the most northern universety in the world there.

2. Brugges - Belgium: Brugges is one of the prettiest cities of Belgium. The historic city centre is a prominent World Heritage Site and it brings you back in history with it's old but pretty restorated houses.

3. Florence/Firenze -Italy: a city i really would love to travel in real live. Place where the Renaissence started. The city has a very rich history and therefor worht visiting.

4. sint petersburg - russia: used to be the capital of russia. It's an importand historic site. I know people who have been there and they say it's a real have-to-visit city.f

btw

Kiev and Prague are open for visits

Kiev and Prague are open for visits

Offered a ticket to Luxembourg. smile.gif

Travelling Europe !

Travellers involved: Dolphine, Isanor

Capitals travelled: Prague, Luxembourg

Nominating Cities:

- Lyon (France) “City of Light” The third largest city in France, famous for the light festival 'Fête des Lumières' in August. And the Lyon astronomical clock is placed in the Cathédrale St-Jean.

- Edinburgh (UK) “Athens of the North” Famous for its gorgeous castles. Stories lie behind the architectures, like the Palace of Holyroodhouse and Edinburgh Castle. And I love Celtic elements.

- Florence (Italy) The place where the Renaissance began. As for places of interest... Basilica of Saint Mary of the Flower, Medici Square, Uffizi Gallery, Giotto's Campanile.

- Zürich (Switzerland) Fresh air, clear sky, home to loads of financial institutions and banking giants. And the Chinese Garden there is quite adorable.

I apologize for any typo and grammar mistake, correct me if I made something wrong...

Edited by Isanor

Travelling Europe !

Travellers involved: Idril, Isanor

Capitals travelled: Bratislava, Riga

The Hunt For New Cities - Update

Well, finally we picked up some speed ! smile.gif Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions so far, there are so many great places to travel !

Some facts up to now:

- 8 users submitted nominations

- we have 20 different cities from 13 different countries

I'll send PMs out today (or tomorrow, depends when I can get a new monitor for my PC at home, the old one suddenly didn't work anymore this morning sad.gif ) to the people who didn't submit any suggestions so far, so perhaps we get a broader base to choose from. With the birthday event coming up, I guess even the people less active in the forums will be on and get the message.

@fuzzbucket:

Edinburgh and Pristina are set already (I said that in the post which explains the whole procedure, but there's quite some info in there, so I guess you missed it).

So if you'd like to use the spots for other cities, just go ahead ! (If not, I'll just move Marseille, Milano and Bremen up to be your 1 to 3.)

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

Late but here's my 2 cents

Zermatt, Switzerland might be an idea (The Matterhorn)

Barcelona (Spain) La Sagrada Familia and other Gaudi buildings

Cardiff (Wales) significant tourist center and the most popular visitor destination in Wales

St. Petersburg (Russia), most european city in russia and one time capital

The Hague (Netherlands) the International Court of Justice and where the government is mostly located

And Rome and Monaco are ready for visitors smile.gif

Sorry for being late, here are my 5 cities. smile.gif

Venice - beautiful not only at carneval time

Barcelona - city of Gaudi

Salzburg - one of Austria`s oldest cities; birthcity of Mozart; Salzburg Festival (Salzburger Festspiele); Hohensalzburg castle

Saint Petersburg - former capital of the Russian empire; the Hermitage is always worth a visit

Istanbul - capital of the East Roman/ Byzantine empire and Osman empire, lots of history there.

Edited by Idril

I know these have already been voted for but apart from their historical/political/places of beauty interest, they're also places I managed to get to! (Apart from the latter - Istanbul featured heavily in a favourite book!)

Zurich

Venice

Brugges

Istanbul

Sorry I'm late! Here are my cities (I know a few have already been voted on, but I totally agree with people who have chosen these! smile.gif

1) Zürich, Switzerland -- it's the largest city in Switzerland, and its among the world's largest financial/banking centers; It also hosts one of the most important theatres in the German-speaking world. It also is a wonderful city to visit! xd.png

2) Barcelona, Spain -- an important tourist, economic, trade, and cultural centre in the world; It hosted the 1992 Summer Olympics, and is the 2nd largest city in Spain!

3) Cardiff, Wales -- capital city of Wales and its chief commercial centre, and was recently nominated the "European City of Sport" in 2014; it also is a place where shows like "Doctor Who," "Merlin," Sarah Jane Adventures," "Torchwood," and "Sherlock" are filmed! xd.png

4) Istanbul, Turkey -- largest city in Turkey, and is the fifth-largest city in the world by population within city limits (with 14.1 million people); used to be known as Constantinople, which was the capital of the Roman, Byzantine, Latin, and Ottoman Empires back in the 300s AD.

5) München, Germany (or Munich) -- capital of the German state of Bavaria, and is the third largest city in Germany; was the host of the 1972 Summer Olympics, and is a center of arts, culture, and science since the early 19th century. Also is home to the "Oktoberfest"

Would anybody like to visit Budapest? (Check my passport to see which cities I've been to)

Bookings are here~

And late nominations~

1. Venice, Italy - The canals here basically are the roads, some amazing architecture to~

2. Zurich, Swizterland - Famous for banking, pretty much the largest city in Switzerland, and not really a reason, but many people here think that it is the capital of Switzerland tongue.gif (I can't do the umlaut u on my keyboard, or find/remember the alt code...)

3. Salzburg, Austria - Well known here at least for the Sound of Music, Mriabell Gardens (Don't know if I spelt that right) and the Hohensalzburg Castle

4. Dresden, Germany - Well known for the procession of princes and the Altes Meister Gallery.

5. Cardiff, United Kingdom - The home of several well known BBC tv shows :3

Edited by StarLaDragon

3. Salzburg, Austria - The hills are alive, with the sound of music~

That musical is actually hardly known in Austria. wink.gif

tempestsea, I offered a Vienna ticket for your Rome egg. smile.gif

Edited by Idril

Travelling Europe !

Travellers involved: idril, TempestSea

Capitals travelled: Vienna, Rome

Book your next trip to Vilnius, Lithuania right here! biggrin.gif

Offered a 'San Marino' egg. wink.gif