Lantean_Pegasus

Travel through Europe

The Hunt For New Cities - Update

Good news: I have a new computer monitor, so I can be online from home again (and not only sneaking in from work) ! cool.gif

Many thanks to everyone who posted their suggestions so far !!

Current numbers:

- 14 users submitted nominations (including DragonLauren here)

- we have 24 different cities from 14 different countries

PMs went out to all members who haven't made nominations yet. I extended the period for nominations till this Sunday (25th). After that I'll write up the list and we can vote.

We'll probably have some follow-up votes to determine which city from a certain country should be included, because as it looks now there might be a few countries represented more than once among the top 15.

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

Well, I have a couple of nominations.

- Santiago de Compostela (Spain); Not as well known as Barcelona or Madrid, Santiago is a very important cultural, touristic and gastronomic destination. It houses the Cathedral of Santiago, which is an architechtural wonder, situated in the center of Plaza del Obradoiro and next to the Parador de los Reyes Catolicos (a reformed palace made into a hotel while taking in account the architecture and style).

- Dubrovnik (Croatia); Another relevant city would be Dubrovnik. From Croatia it is probably the best known touistic destination. An ancient city bordered by a wall and flanqued by the Adriatic Sea, it is visited by thousands of people each year.

I've been told I need to add two to my list so -

I support Dubrovnik.

And as my other other:

Istanbul. Much more exciting than Ankara; MUCH more historic..

Offered a 'San Marino' egg. wink.gif

Just accepted your offer - sorry for the wait! Thanks, Tiga! biggrin.gif

Travelling Europe !

Travellers involved: LumosSeeker148, Tigacat

Capitals travelled: Vilnius, San Marino

Edited by LumosSeeker148

Nobody wants to go to Budapest? If you don't have an egg right now feel free to offer a dummy.

I offered an AP Brimstone Dragon smile.gif

If accepted, I promise the next kin from my Lithuanian dragons is yours! smile.gif

I support

- Florence (Italy) : important city for its history and art

- Istambul (Turkey) : very long story and has some very famous touristic places

- Munich (Germany) : capital city of Bavaria. Famous for its art and also for its Oktoberfest

- Saint Peterburg (Russia) : historic capital of Russian Empire

- Barcellona (Spain) : probably the second most famous city of Spain

Monaco still available .

I'd love to go, but I'm scroll locked. I know by tomorrow it will have hatched, but I'll be unlocked by then (not sure if you've been to Madrid, I think not?) and will be able to breed my Madrid dragons.

I offered an AP Brimstone Dragon smile.gif

If accepted, I promise the next kin from my Lithuanian dragons is yours! smile.gif

Accepted :3

Travelling Europe !

Travellers involved: StarLaDragon, LumosSeeker148

Capitals travelled: Budapest, Vilnius

Return trip to Vilnius will follow next week :3

My nominations!

1- Florence, Italy

Florence was the home of the Medici family and a center for the arts during the Italian Renaisance. The Uffizi art museum has one of the best collections of Italian sculpture and art and is a tourist destination on its own. Thereis also the Florence cathedral aka 'Il Duomo' which contains the largest brick dome ever built!

2- St Petersburg, Russia

Built at the demand of Peter the Great, St Petersburg is a cultural mish-mash of eastern and western culture. It contains sights such as 'the Hermitage' and the Winter Palace which were hilt by Catherine the Great as well as the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood. This church is more commonly recognized by its iconic onion-domed exterior but the mosaics are even more spectacular!

I will post 3-5 later as I am about to run out of the house!

-sofi

Edited by BringsTheSnow

Anybody for Chisinau?

Bookings are here~ (If you don't have an egg right now feel free to offer a dummy.)

I offered a Water egg for now. I can hopefully breed you a Bratislava egg tomorrow. wink.gif

Mine couldn't be bothered again this week sad.gif and the first I get is spoken for.

I offered a Water egg for now. I can hopefully breed you a Bratislava egg tomorrow. wink.gif

Okay :3

Travelling Europe !

Travellers involved: StarLaDragon, Idril

Capitals travelled: Chisinau, Bratislava

Return trip to Bratslava should follow tomorrow

Edit : Been to Bratslava now, weather is lovely :3

Edited by StarLaDragon

Travelling Europe !

Travellers involved: fuzzbucket, Lokiphantom

Capitals travelled: Zagreb (Dublin egg will be offered in return as soon as I get one!)

And fuzz is on her way to Dublin (as soon as that person who ASKED me to breed yesterday and I said only if you can pick up quickly - and still hasn't picked up takes his eggs mad.gif)

I LOVE Dublin. But not sure about the needle...

I wish someone would take on the four inactive CAPITAL cities I haven't been to sad.gif Lantean - shouldn't they be taken up before new ones ? as they ARE capitals (well, so is Pristina, but...)

Edited by fuzzbucket

Travelling Europe !

Travellers involved: fuzzbucket, Isanor

Capitals travelled: Zagreb, Riga

Thank you fuzz, I LOVE the weather out there. biggrin.gif

YAY - just Podgorica to go smile.gif (and the four inactives of course...)

Travelling Europe !

Travellers involved: Idril, WolfParadise

Capitals travelled: Belgrade, Vienna (trip will follow hopefully later this week)

With all the organising I completely forgot to post my own suggestions:

1. St. Petersburg (Russia):

The great capital of Tsar Peter the Great, who built himself a modern city to lead Russia into a modern age.

It has lots of history, one of the largest art museums in the world (The Hermitage), and many beautiful sights along the Neva River.

2. Istanbul (Turkey):

A transcontinental city, Istanbul spreads on both sides of the Bosporus, the border between Europe and Asia. It was of great importance through thousands of years of history, be it under the name of Byzantium or Constantinople.

Visiting the city, you can discover infinite treasures of historical and cultural significance, explore the sprawling bazaars, or just enjoy exotic cuisine while relaxing on the shores of the Bosporus.

3. Heraklion (Greece):

This city is the capital of the island of Crete, and lies near the excavated ruins of Knossos, which is considered Europes oldest city.

4000 years ago there was a harbour in this place, and the Saracens, the Byzantine Empire, the Venetian Republic and the Ottoman Empire ruled the city and left their traces.

You can follow the facts and myths of the old Minoan culture here (anyone heard of the Minotaurus and the labyrinth ?), look out over the cerulean blue of the Mediterranean Sea from the top of the Venetian fortress, or just enjoy one of the 300 sunshine days each year.

4. Avignon (France):

*sings* "Sur le Pont d’Avignon... lalala-la, lalala-la...* *stops singing* Sorry...

Since the times of Celts and Romans there is a city here, in southeastern France, on the banks of the Rhone river. In the 14th century seven Popes resided here, and the Papal Palace with it's surrounding ensembles, as well as the Avignon Bridge (the one from the song) are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

If that's too much history for you, you could just visit during the "Avignon Festival", when lots of different art performances (theatre, dance, music, cinema) are shown in, on and around the historical monuments.

Or you just grab some excellent wine and enjoy the French cuisine.

Phase One (Nominations) is over !

- 18 users submitted nominations

- we have 28 different cities from 16 different countries

A big "Thank You !" to everyone who thought up and nominated potential destinations !

I will rig up a poll later today (tomorrow, at the latest), and post the link to it, thus starting "Phase Three."

Phase II - Announcing the Candidates

Until then, have a look at what we've got so far (and if you'd like to know more about each city, either use the internet, or look up the reasons people had for their nominations from page 35 of the thread onward):

- Salzburg (Austria)

- Bruges/Brugge (Belgium)

- Dubrovnik (Croatia)

- Torshavn (Faroe Islands/Denmark)

- Avignon (France)

- Lyon (France)

- Marseille (France)

- Strasbourg (France)

- Cardiff (UK)

- Bremen (Germany)

- Dresden (Germany)

- Frankfurt (Germany)

- Heidelberg (Germany)

- Munich/München (Germany)

- Heraklion (Greece)

- Florence/Firenze (Italy)

- Milan/Milano (Italy)

- Venice/Venezia (Italy)

- The Hague/DenHaag (Netherlands)

- Tromso (Norway)

- Krakow (Poland)

- Saint Petersburg (Russia)

- Barcelona (Spain)

- Santiago de Compostela (Spain)

- Basel (Switzerland)

- Zermatt (Switzerland)

- Zürich (Switzerland)

- Istanbul (Turkey)

Phase III - The Vote For New Cities

Phase Three is here, which means the voting for new cities starts now !

Important:

1. Each member has 15 votes.

----- You may use less, but you are not allowed more than 15 !

2. You may choose no more than two cities from the same country !

----- There are some countries that have more than one city on the list. You may choose up to two cities from each of those, but not more.

----- To keep a high national diversity in the project, there shouldn't be any country with more than two or (at the very most) three cities on the final list of destinations, capitals included. To achieve that, there might be one or more follow-up votings once this one is through, if we get too many cities from one nation among the Top 15. You shouldn't worry about that when voting now, I just wanted to inform you all in advance.

3. Please post in the thread or send me a PM once you gave your votes, so I know whom to remind if the voting is nearing the end.

And now off you go !! Isn't it fitting, that our very own European elections run parallel with the Elections to the European Parliament ?! cool.gif

Vote here for the New Cities !

Elections will be open till Sunday, June 8th.