Shajana

More releases/ Bigger releases

What is the highest number of new breeds would you be willing to accept per-month?  

597 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One thing I really like(d ?) about this game is/was its simplicity.... sad.gif

This all sounds too much for my aging brain....

I have a young brain or so I'd like to think, but the simplicity of this game is also one of the major draws for me.

One thing I really like(d ?) about this game is/was its simplicity.... sad.gif

This all sounds too much for my aging brain....

Unfortunately they are right though. If we add too many new releases to a biome then the chances of things getting blocked are really high. We may NEVER see any of our older breeds or we may ONLY see our older breeds.

Really I think eventually it will get to the point if we increase releases that something will have to be done and I would MUCH rather it be migration then retirement.

Edited by Reidragon

Unfortunately they are right though. If we add too many new releases to a biome then the chances of things getting blocked are really high. We may NEVER see any of our older breeds or we may ONLY see our older breeds.

Really I think eventually it will get to the point if we increase releases that something will have to be done and I would MUCH rather it be migration then retirement.

While I agree that I like the simplicity, I also agree that if something has to change, I'd rather have a rotation of breeds than a retirement of breeds.

However, I do not think that bred eggs should be limited during the 'off' seasons. Only CB dragons.

For example, right now I'm working on a White/Tri-horn checker. It would be awful if only Tri-horns could be bred right now and I had to wait months for the next season to breed my Whites. It would make a simple checker go from taking a few weeks to taking a few years, and, in my opinion, absolutely ruin the breeding portion of the game.

Although its true that these suggestions are making the Cave a bit more complicated, I think that they have merit. I really like the idea of migrating breeds- but, as GhostMouse suggested, ONLY CBs. Otherwise it would make lineages a nightmare.

While I agree that I like the simplicity, I also agree that if something has to change, I'd rather have a rotation of breeds than a retirement of breeds.

However, I do not think that bred eggs should be limited during the 'off' seasons. Only CB dragons.

For example, right now I'm working on a White/Tri-horn checker. It would be awful if only Tri-horns could be bred right now and I had to wait months for the next season to breed my Whites. It would make a simple checker go from taking a few weeks to taking a few years, and, in my opinion, absolutely ruin the breeding portion of the game.

Oh I agree with you. I think that the rotation should only count for CBs meaning you could still breed the breed out of season since you HAVE them. But can only pick them up as CB during a certain length of time.

> Retirement of breeds

nopenopenopenope

For me that would be another reason not to do 2 releases a month. Or we'll have to keep CB spares on our scroll for fear that a Refusal out-of-season will muck up our lineage work.

So? Lets let all the breeds migrate. I don't see the issue. There will be more then enough uncommon ect breeds if the releases get increased to make up for it. It would also help trading I think.

What if all the breeds start migrating and a hybrid is released from two dragons that drop at different times? That's really going to frustrate new players who don't have one of the parent breeds. And trying to remember the "drop season" for everything does not sound like fun to me…

If there got to be a real problem with blockage, solutions like only allowing one of a particular breed in the cave at a time and/or adding a second line of CB eggs should alleviate the problem.

I would suggest generally having two eggs in a release (though that isn't a hard and fast rule — occasional ones or threes, particularly if hybrids are involved, are reasonable), and trying to guarantee that the two fall in different biomes would be a good solution. It would be appreciated if only the new releases dropped in their biomes on the 1st day, allowing a mix after 24 hours.

I kind of like the unpredictability of when releases take place rather than "every 1st Sunday". Even if that means that I missed a release or two and had to catch up on it.

I do think that if we ever did do some rotation thing, we should still keep rare breeds like the Golds, Silvers, and unbreedables still in circulation.

Oh I agree with you. I think that the rotation should only count for CBs meaning you could still breed the breed out of season since you HAVE them. But can only pick them up as CB during a certain length of time.

Obviously. I forgot to mention that, but it was in the back of my mind since that issue came up in the migration thread ages ago. Of course, it should only count for CBs, so newbies still have a chance to get bred eggs from out-of-season breeds gifted or traded.

Migration should also not affect rares. They're already rare enough and more than hard enough to get, and adding migration to their repertoire would only increase the current dissatisfaction. (Or maybe no? On the one hand, not seeing a single CB gold in 9 months would be frustrating - but being there when the cave decides to drop them again (and in higher numbers to make up for 9 months of no eggs) might give even slower players a chance at them. Hmmm. *thinking*)

What if all the breeds start migrating and a hybrid is released from two dragons that drop at different times? That's really going to frustrate new players who don't have one of the parent breeds. And trying to remember the "drop season" for everything does not sound like fun to me…

If there got to be a real problem with blockage, solutions like only allowing one of a particular breed in the cave at a time and/or adding a second line of CB eggs should alleviate the problem.

I would suggest generally having two eggs in a release (though that isn't a hard and fast rule — occasional ones or threes, particularly if hybrids are involved, are reasonable), and trying to guarantee that the two fall in different biomes would be a good solution. It would be appreciated if only the new releases dropped in their biomes on the 1st day, allowing a mix after 24 hours.

I kind of like the unpredictability of when releases take place rather than "every 1st Sunday". Even if that means that I missed a release or two and had to catch up on it.

But even adding two rows of eggs all that would happen is you would be left with two rows of say pebbles. (just using them as an example) All the breeds that are new or rare or desired would get picked out first leaving just 'blocker breeds' having two rows won't fix the problem it will just increase the number of blockers that can sit and block a biome.

Adding more breeds no matter how you look at it eventually will cause the cave to block more because there will be a heck of a lot more things it can potentially block with.

Also only allowing one of a particular breed at a time won't work cause all would happen is that breed would sit there if it was a blocker. You would then end up with three different blocking breeds. Say one fog, one pebble, one mint. -shrugs-

Edited by Reidragon

WELL - my seasonal biggie went to hell in a basket over the Spring debacle last year. One DOES get over the rage.

Eventually.

Probably mad.gif.

No you're right - one doesn't ! xd.png

Please no more retired breeds though. Maybe migration within the biomes and not for breeding ?

A while back, we've had exactly that problem. Back then, we only had one cave, but (roughly) 60 or so breeds. That's why biomes were introduced. But there were other possible solutions discussed in various threads - like migration (affecting CB egg availability), retiring breeds (big no-go!) or shuffling eggs with every refresh (which has its own problems).

I think the easiest thing to do is add more biomes as the number of breeds increases. This might lead to biomes being re-evaluated and the dragons therein being taken from one biome to another, but it's still the best solution thus far.

A while back, we've had exactly that problem. Back then, we only had one cave, but (roughly) 60 or so breeds. That's why biomes were introduced. But there were other possible solutions discussed in various threads - like migration (affecting CB egg availability), retiring breeds (big no-go!) or shuffling eggs with every refresh (which has its own problems).

I think the easiest thing to do is add more biomes as the number of breeds increases. This might lead to biomes being re-evaluated and the dragons therein being taken from one biome to another, but it's still the best solution thus far.

I support this.

Then we can not have to worry about renaming and changing the biomes we already have.

Please no more retired breeds though. Maybe migration within the biomes and not for breeding ?

That's what I am proposing if this more and bigger release things does happen. Rotation/migration for CBs in the biome but not for breeding.

The "Seasonals are desirable because they are only here 1/4th of the time" is just not true.

Several years ago, back when we had one Cave, seasonals were blockers all year round. When we switched to multiple biomes, they became much less blocker-ish. Then, when Winters were put into Alpine (then GWs were released) it royally screwed up the ratios for Seasonals which made them extraordinarily rare in the Spring and Summer (they only really came back in the fall).

So, even with "migration", you'd still get blockers.

To me, the way to balance the ratios better is to have eggs that sit in the Cave for 1 minute without being picked up rotated to the AP, and then to have all eggs in the AP start loosing time at a faster rate. Honestly? If I see any egg, inbred / long lined / CB that is at 5 days or less, I'm gonna grab it and raise it. I know a lot of people who do the same. Then, make the AP bigger and...

Basically, a lot of the ideas in this thread would fix the problem of the ratios even with the new breeds:

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=144203

Cheers!

C4.

I guess that for the people who have been playing longer it would be more interesting to have new breeds more often.

*big sigh* Well, since TJ said it, I guess I'll just have to come to terms with the fact that I'll no longer be able to even *try* to keep up with new releases. This royally sucks.

I admit I'm not as active on DC as I used to be, but that's because of Life. And apparently 3-4 hours every single night isn't enough for me to catch semi-new releases (still don't have an Olive, I think I have one Blusang, etc). So 2 new breeds released *every month*? I'll either be frustrated playing catch-up for years, or I just have to give up and concentrate on older more common breeds.

*sigh*

I think one conclusion that can be drawn from all this is that no matter what you do, there will be blockers. Perhaps they are to the DragonCave as death and taxes are to life.

And yeah, I can sympathize with the game losing its appeal if it gets too complicated. That's why I left until recently, shortly after the biomes were implemented. I didn't want to spend time flipping between biomes and flipped the table and left.

Whatever happens this time, though, I'm not gonna give up so easily.

Although I am gonna shut up in this topic because I clearly do not know what I'm talking about and in trying to contribute ideas I am in way over my head. xd.png;

I clearly do not know what I'm talking about and in trying to contribute ideas I am in way over my head. xd.png;

Me too. But I shall carry on playing no matter what. Because no matter what, it IS still fun xd.png

Frankly speaking, I do not care about blockers and to me so many new breeds all the time do not seem necessary .__. I am happy with what we have. And by the way I am one of the people who have all dragon types and have (nearly) completed their scroll goal.

To be honest, I like the fact I do not have to hunt for new dragons all the time because there are releases. We get a release and I try to work on it for the first days; then I stop catching them and try to focus on getting dragons I LIKE and NEED, even though they are old. If there were 2 releases per month, it all would be too much.

Can I make this suggestion again, in response to people saying 'two breeds a month is too much'?

How about ONE release every month- so that people don't get too overwhelmed and can focus on other things like breeding and collecting what they like. But, there can be TWO releases in June and July, since there's such a long stretch in between Vday and Halloween. That way, there's still a set schedule and guaranteed releases, but it's not so hectic through most of the year.

I feel like this is a good idea/compromise. But there may be downsides that I'm not realizing... ?

I really don`t understand why so many people Vote for ony 1 dragon per month, most of you complain because they can`t catch an new dragon, if we only have 1 dragon per month it is hard to catch them again, if people have to focus on at least 2 new breeds people with slow internet can catch those easier.

I really don`t understand why so many people Vote for ony 1 dragon per month, most of you complain because they can`t catch an new dragon, if we only have 1 dragon per month it is hard to catch them again, if people have to focus on at least 2 new breeds people with slow internet can catch those easier.

Perhaps it's the way the question is written.

To me it sounds like "what minimum would you be happy with?" in which case 1 is my answer. I'd be happy with one a month.

If it was more about what I'd prefer, though, 2-3 would be my vote.

But TJ has already SAID (4 march 6:30 AM - page 6 about 3/4 way down) that it wasn't always going to be TWO breeds, just some times. I really like the idea of more regular releases, feeling that it can only add vitality to the Cave and could be a big help in the Trade thread.