Shajana

More releases/ Bigger releases

What is the highest number of new breeds would you be willing to accept per-month?  

597 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I completely and totally agree with more/bigger releases. There is a limit on how fast we can release dragons because we don't want to give newbies an impossible task, but an average of two non-holiday dragons per month [maybe 2.5 or 3] shouldn't be a problem for them, but would give the older players something more to do.

Right now new sprites are made much much faster than they are released, producing a horrible backlog on the completed list and artists withdrawing their sprites so they can use them on another site that will release them right away.

And to the people complaining about still not having ___ dragon, so what? It's an uncommon/rare dragon and the ratios are probably still wacked from all the people trying to get it. Doesn't mean we shouldn't have more releases that will distract other people and maybe give you the chance to grab that dragon you're missing.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Personally I like how things are now to be honest :/ There is enough new ones released to be exciting and in between release I have time to work on projects x3 IMO the amount of releases we had last year was right on the dot perfect. I hope this year is much the same.

If I can just weigh in on the whole catch-up thing, as a person who left the site shortly after the biomes were implemented (at the time, I felt they made things far too complicated, yeah I know, dumb), also back when there was no teleport and trades were done by AP?

When I re-joined I sort of had to make a completely new account, as I've had a lot of emails and passwords in the past, and I never worked out the combo of email and password I used to have. (Same thing happened with my Amazon account, actually, I need to stop switching emails at the very least.) I rejoined late last year, sad I would be missing my hoard of frills, my bright pinks, and the one CB silver I managed to catch once upon a time and the lovely silvers he gave me with his Guardian partner. (Er, the shield Guardian one. This was before rares could breed with other rares, too.)

Now, I don't really have any lineages or whatnot going partially because I'm still building back up my collection but between the trading, the increased egg and hatchling spaces, species that bred like rabbits now being rare, etc, but for a few months I like to think I've made good progress. Heck, I think I left shortly after the first tinsels, I never thought I'd own any of those. Never thought I'd have any alts, either, I had given up on getting alt blacks and vines back then. The only ones I'm really feeling like I'll have trouble catching up on is the holidays, but that's understandable.

I do feel the way the biomes are moving right now leave room for improvement. When I first came back I noticed the desert emptied out pretty quick and now the same goes for the alpine. One thing I HAVEN'T felt I caught up on is pretty much all the discussion on what new ideas, BSAs, etc can be tried, so I've kind of stayed away from commenting.

(Although I did look at all the waiting completed dragons and am just going AHHH WANT NAOW. So many Easterns, Eastern dragons have been my fave since I was a wee little one.)

I kind of forgot what my point was.

And as someone who doesn't really take part in any lineage projects I guess I can't really say that I'm affected strongly that way by more new releases so keep that in mind.

That and this time around I've sort of decided to just get what I like as my first priority, although if you look at my scroll you can probably see I have a leaning towards the newer guys. (Well, by "new" I mean guys released in '09 or so and on. Which may not be very new to a lot of you.) I just chalk that up to the spriters getting more and more amazing, tho.

Y'know I'm just going to shut up now.

Right now new sprites are made much much faster than they are released, producing a horrible backlog on the completed list and artists withdrawing their sprites so they can use them on another site that will release them right away.

I think part of that backlog also is TJ hasn't gone through and removed the ones that will never make it. Some of those dragons have been on the list since I started playing 5 years ago xd.png!!!

Edited by Reidragon

I like the idea of a regular 2-breed release, more variety is always fun and having more breeds to collect and add to lineages is cool.

I was thinking about all the people saying "but I won't have time for my projects!!". Well, why did you start doing those projects to begin with? My bet is because you were bored during the downtime between releases and needed something to do, for at least a good chunk of you. So is it all that much of a hardship to slow down your projects so the rest of us who aren't interested in lineages aren't quite so bored out of our minds during that same downtime?

Seriously, just about the only thing I do any more is breed my rares for gifting/trading and raise AP eggs to abandon once they hatch. Rather dull.

I think part of that backlog also is TJ hasn't gone through and removed the ones that will never make it. Some of those dragons have been on the list since I started playing 5 years ago xd.png!!!

TJ does remove a certain number of dragons that he will never release, so I think it is mostly that he doesn't have anywhere near enough releases to release all the pretties and he doesn't give any priority to the nice older dragons.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Do Not Support, for reasons already stated.

1. Look at the last 2 years of DC history, you will see that releases ARE already fairly frequent, except right around holiday times. I see nothing at all wrong with the amount of releases we have right now.

2. I really, really, really latch onto the concept of "let users play how they want". You all know that by now. Many users have elaborate breeding plans, breeding the same dragons consistently, either for lineages or for trades. Some users spend tons of time hunting and grabbing things they don't need, in order to trade for what they do need. MANY users are working diligently towards their own personal scroll-goals. Things like breeding and trading and lineages are already an OFFICIAL part of the game, so why interfere with user's abilities to carry on with those parts of the game by shoving new releases down their throats?

3. Multi-releases are HELL. I'm not the only one who feels that way. You have 4 egg slots and 5 new breeds are released?! Breeds that, if you don't pick up during the few-hour mass-drop, will become increasingly hard to pick up at all. How is that fun? Isn't DC supposed to be fun? How is stressing about grabbing something that might become uncommon/rare in the tiny mass-drop window "fun"? It sure isn't for me. And I remember many others complaining of that as well.

4. Commenting on not understanding the "have to have it right away!" attitude. For many of us, new-release mass-drops are the ONLY chance we will have to get that breed. I'm still trying to catch dragons released over a year ago. And no, not all of us can just trade for them, either. So yes, it really IS a "now or never" type of feeling. Or at least a "now or 12+ months from now" feeling.

Support.

I'm not into lineages, so breeding projects are few and mainly just for giggles. This leaves me bored duirng the long 'droughts' between releases, especially duirng spring/summer and I often end up going semi-inactive during those times.

3. Multi-releases are HELL. I'm not the only one who feels that way. You have 4 egg slots and 5 new breeds are released?! Breeds that, if you don't pick up during the few-hour mass-drop, will become increasingly hard to pick up at all. How is that fun? Isn't DC supposed to be fun? How is stressing about grabbing something that might become uncommon/rare in the tiny mass-drop window "fun"? It sure isn't for me. And I remember many others complaining of that as well.

I'm all for a lot more releases and stuff, but I'm pretty sure 5 is going a little overboard. blink.gif

Edited by MaggieXawesomeness

I don't care. I just want to see my favourites from the completed list released. The Gold Wyverns I was waiting for since 2010 and Blusangs have been released after god knows how many years. I'm just glad that they saw the light of cave eventually.

Has there been a 5 egg release? I know Mod Madness was 4, and I think I remember the consensus at the time was "yeaaah that was a bit much wasn't it?"

(Didn't help Mod Madness had what are still some of my favourite dragons. Amazing jobs, all of them.)

Teej said he certainly wouldn't do 24 a year, which is roughly what 2 dragons a month would be. (Shift the numbers around a bit for holidays, of course.) I don't think that's gonna be an issue...

TJ said he would release 2 new breeds per month, so we wouldn't have to struggle with a multi-release of 5. 2 breeds would still allow people to get breeding pairs. And, knowing when the drops would occur in advance would give everyone time to prepare their scrolls with open slots.

And that completed list would move. There's a ton of dragons that people want released- and these Speckles were sprited by someone who hasn't seemed active in a year. So currently, requests are moving extremely slowly.

Edit: As stated by someone above, that 2-per-month isn't exact. That's the max it would be at a time, it seems.

Edited by Dimar

Has there been a 5 egg release? I know Mod Madness was 4, and I think I remember the consensus at the time was "yeaaah that was a bit much wasn't it?"

(Didn't help Mod Madness had what are still some of my favourite dragons. Amazing jobs, all of them.)

Teej said he certainly wouldn't do 24 a year, which is roughly what 2 dragons a month would be. (Shift the numbers around a bit for holidays, of course.) I don't think that's gonna be an issue...

The DC 5th birthday release was five pygmies. ^^

The DC 5th birthday release was five pygmies.  ^^

Oh, that's where they all came from. xd.png; That's mainly why I asked, in case I missed one in my absence... unsure.gif

Edited by DorkJulian

The current eggs being released were on the completed list in 2012. Idk if TJ is trying to do a release from each year, but while I think that the current pace of release is ok, I think that I understand the frustration of spriters. If there are too many releases, I can see players being overwhelmed. So I am a bit on the fence here.

I'm also noticing a lot of the non support is people mentioning going inactive. That seems a little off, to release based on people that aren't playing it, rather than people that are.

I honestly don't know what happens if TJ releases too many species, though. Possible negative consequences:

- More caveblockers

- Even more difficulty getting a desired species of dragons from the cave - there are so many species of dragons!

And that completed list would move. There's a ton of dragons that people want released- and these Speckles were sprited by someone who hasn't seemed active in a year. So currently, requests are moving extremely slowly.

Yeah that dragon was Cheshire's. I'm super sad she left. She was an AMAZING spriter. She left cause of school issues and then never returned. I often think about her actually. She had some amazing concepts in the works. Shame they all got cleared sad.gif

I honestly don't know what happens if TJ releases too many species, though. Possible negative consequences:

- More caveblockers

- Even more difficulty getting a desired species of dragons from the cave - there are so many species of dragons!

If I remember correctly, those two things are large parts of why biomes were implemented.

Of course, the biome system has far from eliminated those problems, but perhaps adding more to some of the slower biomes and maybe re-distributing where some of the eggs go (I know some people have mentioned that before, especially since they felt the biome they were in contradicted what their descriptions said) could help.

(Also, I've noted that some "cave blockers" are some of the more "universal" species that are released in multiple biomes, it may be something to consider to scootch back some of those numbers a bit.)

Also I know there's talking of adding biomes going on, especially to remedy the "the biome doesn't match the habitat described in the dragon's profile" dealie, but I'm sure that there are people afraid of that over-complicating things. >.>;;

@DorkJulian: I think that the biome suggestion thread turned towards renaming the current ones, and not adding more. So that system would better represent the habitats, without becoming too confusing. smile.gif I don't know how much that would help with new releases like this, but it has potential to do so.

I think more releases could be implemented fairly well.

I would love 1-2 new dragons a month (a 3rd with one would be cool too if it were a hybrid instead of a regular cave drop). If people find egg spots to be an issue, adding/altering trophy levels could always be considered.

I definitely feel like 4 or 5 is way too many, and 3 is pushing it even as hybrids. I feel like having 1 a month, and some months having 2, is a good idea.

I'd like at least one per month, if not more. There are so many gorgeous dragons in the Completed List, it's a shame to know that most of them don't stand the slightest chance of a release as of now.

Edited by rampaging wyvern

I would love 1-2 new dragons a month (a 3rd with one would be cool too if it were a hybrid instead of a regular cave drop). If people find egg spots to be an issue, adding/altering trophy levels could always be considered.

This, totally this!

1-2 regular cave drops per release, plus 1-2 hybrids seem like a really good idea to me. Because, well, hybrids won't cause the "gotta catch 'em all" frenzy, but might help with getting blockers to move.