TJ09

2022-12-25 - Happy Holidays!

Oh wow those adults are absolutely gorgeous! Wonderful design. Definitely going to collect as many as possible next year.

*peeks in* Wow, those adults are gorgeous! After all these years DC finally has a real Hanukkah dragon, that's so awesome. 

The whole Frosty Farm game seems annoyingly bugged/finicky to me, and I don't actually care enough this year to read through all the forum posts trying to figure things out. The space where you plant/water seeds is incredibly finicky, it seems like it's very difficult to actually get the character into the exact right spots for the little arrow-thing to actually show so you can 'activate'. It's also rather hard to actually *see* the growing plants until they are ready to harvest, which makes it hard to see which plots are empty and which are already taken (without going step by step 'activating' each one to check).  (Also, are all the houses supposed to be completely unplayable, or is that a bug? It just seems... unnecessary... to have so many buildings/houses in the game that you can't actually go into or do anything with. Or do they only become active once you do certain things?)

@HeatherMarie, I have exactly the same problem.  Keep finding my little Snowa having to dance about all over the place to try to come at the planting spots from a different direction in the hope of getting her in the right place to trigger and retain the little triangle for action.  Just using keyboard commands is ludicrously inaccurate and tiresome.  Anyway, I reckon I've found everything there is to find now, so I'm done ;).  Time to go and admire the beautiful new dragon instead. 

Edited by LadyMadonna

Oh, oh those are beautiful, holy crap.  As I'm not Jewish I don't celebrate the holiday, but I knew immediately what I was looking at when I saw those adults and was stunned (in a good way) to see this year we got something different!  I'm so glad to see these made it in!

In regards to the cookie event, how do y'all get such nice neat lines on your cookies? I can't draw straight lines to save my life. I tried to do a snowflake like one of the cookies I received last year has, and it looked like it was done by a black widow tripping on acid (for those who don't know, black widows make messy tangled webs with no pattern whatsoever). I erased it and just did some sprinkles instead.

What beautiful dragons! And much as I love Christmas, it's really nice to see a Hanukah-themed dragon for a change. Thank you, sprite artists, for these beauties. 

They're really beautiful new dragons, and absolutely glad to see all winter holidays. To be honest, I thought the Starsingers were Hanukkah-themed & give them names that reflect that sometimes.

But I do feel something needs to be pointed out here: Christianity is definitely not over-represented, or even represented at all, in the prior holiday dragons. Mostly they represent Yule or other European winter festival traditions. 

Edited by Stirfry
Forgot Starsingers

This new holiday dragon friend is beautiful and heart-filling.  Thanks you for making this winter's festivities more welcoming to more of us, @Pixxelation and @PiedPipecleaner!   

Now I want a Purim dragon in a mask and a honey-and-apple-themed Rosh Hashanah dragon and... 

The adult holiday dragons are absolutely gorgeous. I really like the Chanukah theme with the colors and candelabra antlers. It makes this dragon look a little different than the other ones with Christmas or general winter color schemes.

I almost dread next year's holiday season because I know I will never ever be able to get as many pairings of this beautiful dragon as I want. TJ, please, is there any chance we can up the number of CB dragons we can have on our scroll to 3 or 4? It would not make the holidays more hectic at all, truly!

On 12/28/2022 at 2:47 PM, Pixxelation said:

Chanukah sameach, Dragon Cave!

I hope you all enjoy the Light Weavers, Dragon Cave's first Hanukkah dragon! It's been really lovely seeing everyone responding positively to this little bit of representation, and I'm so glad it's made other folks smile the way Pied and I smiled making them.

As silly as this may sound, this is an actual childhood dream come true for me! I've been playing Dragon Cave since I was a 10-year-old in elementary school, and even way back then, I'd dreamed of seeing a Hanukkah dragon get released. Back when holiday dragons were still called "Spirits of Christmas" on-site, I'd even made a Suggestions and Requests thread about secularizing Christmas on-site so that players like myself of non-Christian faiths could feel more included (a change I was so thrilled to see get implented).

The timing of this finally coming through is really meaningful to me as well. I worked on my first Hanukkah-inspired concept alongside a couple collaborators in 2013, so this is the 10-year anniversary of my first attempt at a Hanukkah dragon. And as others have mentioned, this release comes at a time when antisemitism has been on the rise in the real-world. Having this piece of positive representation, now, means so much to me. And to other players who are Jewish or of other underrepresented faiths and cultures, I hope this makes you smile as well.

@PiedPipecleaner, thank you for making these blue noodles with me (especially since I asked you as late as December 20th)! It was so lovely collaborating with you, and it was really awesome getting to work with another Jewish artist on something based on our culture. I'm thrilled to share this release with you ❤️

@TJ09 Thank you for taking a chance on these! This release means so much to me, Pied, and other Jewish players, and I'm so thankful to get to have them lighting up the skies of Valkemare.

Happy holidays, everyone, and may your 2023 be happy, healthy, and full of light~

Wow, I was feeling kind of bummed that I missed the holiday eggs this year the one time there were actual Jewish-holiday themed ones representing my religion/culture, but I managed to get them from the AP! It's a miracle! Thank you spriters!

Edited by Amaryllis_Flair

1 hour ago, Stirfry said:

But I do feel something needs to be pointed out here: Christianity is definitely not over-represented, or even represented at all, in the prior holiday dragons. Mostly they represent Yule or other European winter festival traditions. 

I'd hate to be the voice of dissent here but, until I believe 2010, the holiday events were called "christmas releases/event", and only in 2011 were they called holidays, so.... also like, as a person who is from Asia and is currently living there, the color scheme(red and green), many of the motifs(holly, ribbon dancers, wrapping wings, etc) are very reminiscent of the symbols of Christmas decorations and such over here as well, so Idk how you'd... frame that as "European winter festival traditions"; I'd agree if you said that it's not Christianity itself but like, commercialized "christmas" decorations, but considering that the holiday itself is still associated with Christianity even in comparatively secular societies like mine, I kinda find your point a bit of a stretch. 

Anyways, I am very much enjoying the look of the Light Weaver dragons. I especially like the string of light around their body. It's very pretty and reminiscent of the clothes of "heavenly women" in taoist mytholgy. 

10 hours ago, TJ09 said:

There is no trash can icon in Frosty Farming. There should be an "Empty" option for each decoration that will show nothing for that spot. It may have been missing for a number of people, but I believe that is now fixed.

Yes, it works now! Thank you!

Hanukkah-themed dragons. It's now making sense. I felt a feeling of familiarity with TJ's codes Festival and Lights. 😁Festival of Lights! I am not Jewish, but I appreciate how we have our first Hanukkah dragon.

Thank you, TJ, and spriters Pixxelation and PiedPipeCleaner! It's... beautiful!

Happy Xmas, Hanukkah, and holidays, everyone!

🙂Chanukah sameach to the Jewish community of DC!

Lovely dragons. Great job, everyone. ^_^

I can move around in the game, but can't seem to plant things or interact with much. Guess I'll have to try this on my computer later. For now, I guess I'll play the snowball game until the mana alchemy one finally gets unlocked.

10 hours ago, Moondragon007 said:

In regards to the cookie event, how do y'all get such nice neat lines on your cookies? I can't draw straight lines to save my life. I tried to do a snowflake like one of the cookies I received last year has, and it looked like it was done by a black widow tripping on acid (for those who don't know, black widows make messy tangled webs with no pattern whatsoever). I erased it and just did some sprinkles instead.

I decorate cookies on mobile. It takes me maybe 5-10 attempts per line (sometimes a lot more) and I just keep undoing until I get a line I am happy with. Then move on to the next line and repeat the process. Long lines are both easier and harder. Easier because you don't have to worry about stopping in the right spot but harder because it is easier to accidentaly put a bend in it. 

The other trick is to go back with another color and slightly overlap your first line so the edges are sharp and the line is thinner. 

A question about Frosty Farming: according to the signpost there should be a teleportation station. Has someone found and used it, or isn't it supposed to be working?

I really like the lore of these beautiful dragons! For sure, I don't know enough about winter festivities and traditions in different religions and cultures, I was raised without religion myself. So much to learn about when I have time! Even so, I can only adore anything that promotes inclusivity and acceptance, I've enjoyed all our previous holiday breeds but it's just wonderful to see more variety. I'd like to think it's about spreading kindness and happiness, most of all, no matter what you celebrate around this time, and how (if at all).  ❄️

Once again, well done with the concept and spriting, @Pixxelation and @PiedPipecleaner. I love the light weavers even more now that I know how much their release means to you and other Jewish players!

Wow, they're so gorgeous! I adore that shade of dark blue. I'm going to hoard so many of these next year...

I celebrate (non religious) Christmas but it's very nice to see another holiday in the spotlight this year!

Haha!  I didn't expect a Hanukkah dragon!😆  That is a beautiful addition to Dragon Cave's holiday breeds.  Instantly I thought of the Candelabra dragon as a mate, especially my coded "yummy"...

https://dragcave.net/lineage/YUMmY

A special thank you to the spriter's for these!

I'm not getting any decorations any more, from anyone. Does this mean I have them all ? I did get a "here, have this" and nothing happened....