TJ09

2021-01-24 - January Dragon Release

I changed my scroll's sort order to go back to naming and grouping my dragons... and the new eggs spread out between dead (vampire bitten) eggs and older eggs. None are Incubated.

28 minutes ago, Syiren said:

Wait? Why is there a release in January? And with Valentine's so close? I wasn't prepared at all!

I feel like A LOT of people are asking the same thing. People preparing mates for V-day dragons, and then this happens. Definitely should've happened earlier in the month 😬

5 minutes ago, DragonNeko said:

I feel like A LOT of people are asking the same thing. People preparing mates for V-day dragons, and then this happens. Definitely should've happened earlier in the month 😬

Maybe that's exactly why? If it gets too regular then it's too easy to plan for, lol. I kinda like that there was a surprise, takes me back to the years when we'd go awhile without a new release and then it'd pop up out of the blue :)

22 minutes ago, DragonNeko said:

Agreed. Maybe last weekend? That would have worked much better. Equal time after Christmas, and a full month away from V-Day which lets more people prepare.

16 minutes ago, kerrikins said:

Maybe that's exactly why? If it gets too regular then it's too easy to plan for, lol. I kinda like that there was a surprise, takes me back to the years when we'd go awhile without a new release and then it'd pop up out of the blue :)

I don't mind surprise releases, but maybe not in between 2 holidays. ^^;

Really, really hate the drop rate. This is the very day they drop and not only have I seen just one lure egg, but all 3 of my guardian x royal crimson pairings failed: two royal crimsons and a refusal. Ridiculous, imo. Release date is obviously important to everyone and making them as hard to get as rare eggs out for months, I hate it.

1 hour ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

They might be Warded.

That's a very risky thing to do, imo. You can only Ward an egg once, so if you (general 'you') toss fresh eggs in hatcheries and Ward them and they get sick, the Ward will wear off in 6 hours and then they can't be Warded again if they get sick later on (or don't get better during those 6 hours). 

54 minutes ago, dragongrrl said:

Since I'm probably one of the more active players on the site since I returned in November, this statement makes no sense to me. I am on the site randomly throughout the day, and since my sleep patterns went away in this past years, I'm on at odd hours during the night. I am here but there is no way I will ever have the speed I need to compete against those with faster reflexes.

I feel locked out and it is horribly frustrating.

Try tomorrow, when many people will have their fill already. And keep an eye on the AP, a lot of us have tossed some in there. Also check out the trading hub, there are tons of trades with the new ones right now

3 minutes ago, Syiren said:

I don't mind surprise releases, but maybe not in between 2 holidays. ^^;

There were still a few holiday hatchlings on the click sites and in trade in January. Diligent use of Stun was involved I imagine. 

4 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

That's a very risky thing to do, imo. You can only Ward an egg once, so if you (general 'you') toss fresh eggs in hatcheries and Ward them and they get sick, the Ward will wear off in 6 hours and then they can't be Warded again if they get sick later on (or don't get better during those 6 hours). 

People are loading up for EQs. So it doesn't generally matter for that situation. Some people aren't though but, they probably aren't on forums or discord, since people are quick to remind people not to put them in.

I Love surprise jan releases, never expect them so its a two cake situation.

Edited by Tinibree

1 minute ago, Tinibree said:

People are loading up for EQs. So it doesn't generally matter. 

I Love surprise jan releases, never expect them so its a two cake situation.

Two cake situation?

7 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Try tomorrow, when many people will have their fill already. And keep an eye on the AP, a lot of us have tossed some in there. Also check out the trading hub, there are tons of trades with the new ones right now

Does the AP even really matter anymore? Or am I missing something? I never, ever see a younger egg than 4 days and 2 hours anymore. Right now it's all Celestials and tiny handful of others. Things bred/dropped within the last 48 hours wouldn't even show up, I imagine.

In fact, there's enough eggs and players, there should be two caves. One for breds and one for cave-born or one for rarer and one for commons or something. Near impossible to see anything except a wall. Especially on holidays.

Edited by rayemoon

16 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Two cake situation?

More dragons! Thought we had to wait to see a new dragon but no! Surprise here's another! Squeezing a release into jan means more dragons, and judging by last year, we had a release every month except jan and november, so maybe the coveted 12 release year awaits us :3c

16 minutes ago, rayemoon said:

Does the AP even really matter anymore? Or am I missing something? I never, ever see a younger egg than 4 days and 2 hours anymore. Right now it's all Celestials and tiny handful of others. Things bred/dropped within the last 48 hours wouldn't even show up, I imagine.

In fact, there's enough eggs and players, there should be two caves. One for breds and one for cave-born or one for rarer and one for commons or something. Near impossible to see anything except a wall. Especially on holidays.

You have poor timing I guess. The ap regularly gets down to 3dxteenhours. Its also regularly full of CB stuff, that's how I'm getting my CB numbers up lol.

TJ does not want to split the ap up at all/filter it, if you wanna read all about that its in the really long suggestions thread.

Anyway, I assume anything infi works on is rng until otherwise proven lol.

Edited by Tinibree

34 minutes ago, rayemoon said:

22 minutes ago, Tinibree said:

You have poor timing I guess. The ap regularly gets down to 3dxteenhours. Its also regularly full of CB stuff, that's how I'm getting my CB numbers up lol.

Yeah, I've actually posted multiple times in the 'bad luck' thread about the AP being full of CBs when I'm hunting for messies! It's luck, and good timing, but the AP definitely has CBs and low times fairly often. I know some people don't want to grab-and-toss AP eggs looking for CBs, but that's their choice I guess. I recently got a CB Zyu from the AP. 

3 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I do think it'd be cool, because of the different time-zones and such, if there was a 2nd flood like 20 hours after release or something. Or maybe even a 2nd flood 2 days after, for the late-comers. 

ooh, this is a good idea too!

i got all my cave eggs 10 hours into the release, 10 a.m. Cave Time.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

Yeah, I've actually posted multiple times in the 'bad luck' thread about the AP being full of CBs when I'm hunting for messies! It's luck, and good timing, 

How can we switch luck? Do I need to provide crystals and exotic ingredients? Truck batteries, brick Nokia phones, and copper wire? Earl Grey and crumpets?

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

I'm super excited about this release!! Probably won't have a single one from release day, cuz I was asleep and then at work, but I'm still so stoked to nab these babies in the next few days!!!

I'm already trying to decide which dragons to use to get the hybrid, and thinking of fun lineage ideas with them! ...on a side note, I need more Guardians and Royal Crimsons, lol.

Has anyone noticed if there's been changes in sorting if using influence on the eggs?

I like having male/female pairs but if influencing also messes with sorting then I might take my chances [already holding off on incubating my pairs (I have 2 from each biome)]

3 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Oh, I'll be here off and on tonight. Two eggs hatch in the next four hours so I'll try to fill those slots with a Jungle and a Coast.

I just personally do better when the eggs drop for a day before the others mix in, and I love the AP as it is. People drop all kinds of beauties and CBs, even though the messies get frustrating sometimes. But the lowtime eggs just help me build my collection faster.

I will never forget the nightmare of my first Halloween - with my speed, I never got a single CB Marrow with days of trying in both the Cave and the AP. And they are still my favorite Halloween dragon, although there is some great competition.

The dragons look great but this looks to be yet another dragon I wont be getting for a while. 😕

Is anyone else's hybrid eggs getting sick really easily? They're about the same age as all my other new releases and they have fewer views. 

I think having the pink coming from the market would be a cool idea! As long as they aren't too expensive, it'll be the first 'market-exclusive' dragon :) 

I agree this is really close to Vday - I was fortunate and bred early (because I forgot to breed for both Halloween and Christmas last year! Didn't want to make the mistake again). 

I love the little wyvern dragon and can't wait to see how it turns out.

I also like how the hybrid has the simple hatchling description - "Aww, it's a cute baby dragon."

Edited by High Lord November

1 hour ago, Jazeki said:

Is anyone else's hybrid eggs getting sick really easily? They're about the same age as all my other new releases and they have fewer views. 

I might be wrong on this, but (I read a long time ago) if you own the egg's parents, that egg gets a little boost. As in, it should require less views to hatch. But I think the downside is they might get sicker faster.

7 hours ago, Spirulina said:

Well, it's a game

Games promote active players. 

What benefit would be for those who check regulary and play a lot? 

Yeah, I know not everybody can and different time zones etc. 

But this is a game ;)

Would be pointless if you remove "game" part and just give flood of eggs repeatidly ;)

While I get where you are coming from, I respectfully have to disagree a bit.

For some players, time zones and/or work often make it so that they aren't available to play when releases/floods occur or have circumstances that make it difficult to egg hunt. And when those players may otherwise be dedicated players who put lots of time and effort into the game, continually missing out on or being late to events can be quite frustrating and disheartening. So in this case it wouldn't be an issue of not having active players, but ones with the bad luck of unfortunate circumstances. 

At that point it can start to feel like you are being punished or left behind by the player base for things that are out of your control. Which isn't fun, and fun is ultimately what this game is for.

A second, staggered flood would help mitigate this issue. It would be a reprieve for players who missed the initial flood, and would help even the playing field for players who simply can't participate during the initial flood even if they want to.

There are several options for implementing two floods that would keep it from being "too easy" if you are concerned about it impacting the competitive side of the game. Like you said, Dragcave is a game, so competitive and challenging aspects are expected and enjoyed, but it is also just a game.

As for this particular release, I'm really liking the new eggs, and the hatchlings look great! I'm a sucker for dimorphic sprites. I'm trying to hunt on the 5-min mark, since I'm still seeing drops then. No luck yet, but I've only got 1 slot till I'm egglocked anyways lol.