TJ09

2021-01-24 - January Dragon Release

Guardian.

Royal Crimson.

This dragon literally spells out 'Royal Guard.'

I'm in a world of pain. I don't use incubate often (been trying to round out some missing scroll goals) but I happened to use ALL 3 of that BSA yesterday! Now how am I gonna get the incubate variant? =(

I'm focusing on the cave ones for now - have at least one from each biome so I'm content for now! Will be following this thread to see what people figure out. 

Wow!  New eggs this close to Valentine's Day.  Who'd have thought?   And I just took a walk up the coast at 3 minutes after the hour and they were laying all over the beach.  I just picked one up and walked away with it, no racing around, no stress at all.  Too bad I don't have more empty slots just yet.  :D

8 minutes ago, Dragon Mage said:

Guardian.

Royal Crimson.

This dragon literally spells out 'Royal Guard.'

I'm in a world of pain. I don't use incubate often (been trying to round out some missing scroll goals) but I happened to use ALL 3 of that BSA yesterday! Now how am I gonna get the incubate variant? =(

Do you need more reds? Some of us could probably help you out if you do (though I'm locked right now, of course!) 

That was remarkably easy. For the cave ones, at least. I have no spare guardians for the others.

What's this about an incubate variant, please?

5 minutes ago, kerrikins said:

Do you need more reds? Some of us could probably help you out if you do (though I'm locked right now, of course!) 

I do! Yes! Very much!! I'm going to be egg locked for just an hour or so. It seems the AP reds are getting snatched up like lightning. =(

Edited by Dragon Mage

7 minutes ago, Lagie said:

That was remarkably easy. For the cave ones, at least. I have no spare guardians for the others.

If you use Incubate on the lure eggs, they switch order on your scroll. If you get 2 of each biome, and they drop in 3 biomes, that leaves 6 dragons. TJs first post has 8 of the lure eggs, and if we still go off the idea of 1 of each gender for each variant, that means incubate is what causes the 4th variety not in cave.

Edited by Dragon Mage

6 minutes ago, Lagie said:

There are 3 biomes and four varieties, it seems. What do you have to do to get the fourth - or is it even more complicated that that ?...

1 minute ago, Dragon Mage said:

If you use Incubate on the lure eggs, the switch order on your scroll. If you get 2 of each biome, and they drop in 3 biomes, that leaves 6 dragons. TJs first post has 8 of the lure eggs, and if we still go off the idea of 1 of each gender for each variant, that means incubate is what causes the 4th variety not in cave.

I believe there are probably all kinds of other possibilities. Unknown factors.

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

There are 3 biomes and four varieties, it seems. What do you have to do to get the fourth - or is it even more complicated that that ?...

Good question! I expect it to be something more, but we can't know just yet.

I currently have two eggs from each biome and am trying to decide what to do about incubating. I ordinarily incubate everything, but I am holding off for the moment.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

My assumption is that each biome is a variant, and then the fourth variant is made by incubating any of the biome variants. Of course, this is completely unconfirmed, just speculation XD We do know that incubating does effect them, though, since they sort below the non-incubed ones once incubated.

14 minutes ago, Lagie said:

I'm wondering about this too. I normally incubate ALL my eggs so do I need to hold off on one pair?

I have influenced and incubated my first pair and saw no discernable change.

Also, they did not change order on my scroll, but I had already sorted them before the BSAs.

Edited by dragongrrl
Additional related info

10 minutes ago, Dragon Mage said:

If you use Incubate on the lure eggs, they switch order on your scroll. If you get 2 of each biome, and they drop in 3 biomes, that leaves 6 dragons. TJs first post has 8 of the lure eggs, and if we still go off the idea of 1 of each gender for each variant, that means incubate is what causes the 4th variety not in cave.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

3 minutes ago, dragongrrl said:

I'm wondering about this too. I normally incubate ALL my eggs so do I need to hold off on one pair?

Thanks, all! I think I'll hold off the incubate for the moment. ;)

I have to admit, I dislike not being able to use incubate without possibly changing the variant 😕 I don't want to have to wait even longer for eggs to hatch. 

13 minutes ago, dragongrrl said:

Also, they did not change order on my scroll, but I had already sorted them before the BSAs.

Yeah, as Paintra said right above your post, they do change order once you use Incubate on them. But it probably didn't show on your scroll if you sorted them, unless you know exactly which codes were incubated?

Also, I'm not certain, but legacy sort may goof the order too xD I would test it and try, but I can't atm.

Even odder - the S2 hatchlings seem to have 5 forms thus far, and all are female (not that that means anything.)

On my scroll (using legacy sort and no egg being incubated yet) they don't seem to sort by biome, but by time left. Like this:

Jungle (6d 13h)

Coast (6d 13h)

Volcano (6d 13h)

Jungle (6d 17h)

Volcano (6d 23h)

So it's probably a time based mechanism rather than one depending on biome??

1 minute ago, Caileh said:

On my scroll (using legacy sort and no egg being incubated yet) they don't seem to sort by biome, but by time left. Like this:

Jungle (6d 13h)

Coast (6d 13h)

Volcano (6d 13h)

Jungle (6d 17h)

Volcano (6d 23h)

So it's probably a time based mechanism rather than one depending on biome??

Well, I have no idea, I think it goes simply by WHEN you catch them. First at the top, rest go underneath. I meant, I don't know how legacy sort + incubate mechanic impacts the order.

Just now, Dragon Mage said:

Well, I have no idea, I think it goes simply by WHEN you catch them. First at the top, rest go underneath. I meant, I don't know how legacy sort + incubate mechanic impacts the order.

It's not that. I picked up a pair from the same exact drop and a few hours later two of them swapped positions on my scroll. 

6 hours ago, Malcorium said:

pterosaur child........... i love
edit: i stand corrected, 4 pterosaur childs

Already planning to collect a frozen army of those stage-1 pterosaur babies!! They *SO* remind me of them!  (And why does pterosaur try to autocorrect to stegosaurus, weird internet!)

I'm very very curious what the different variants are, it's so strange to have 3 biomes but 4 variants. Hmmm. Well, I'm going to wait on Influencing/Incubating mine, hopefully some of you all will find out when yours start hatching and I can decide what to do then!

The s2 hybrid hatchies are kinda reminding me of hellhorses just with the equine feel of the pose and body. ...... And now I'm curious if there would ever be a hybrid of a hybrid released, lol. 

If incubate is what affects the color, I've a new (funny) theory regarding temperature

Unincubated coast - Blue *could be a tropical coast and warm*

Unincubated Jungle - Pink *many jungles are hot and humid*

Unincubated Volcano - Orange *yeah, it's hot in there*

Incubated any - Black *oops, the red burned it*

Ugh, I'm so torn now about using incubate or not...I might wait and see what happens to others eggs who did use it.

2 minutes ago, Tinibree said:

It's not that. I picked up a pair from the same exact drop and a few hours later two of them swapped positions on my scroll. 

Welp, I got no idea then! XD Anyone knows!

2 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

The s2 hybrid hatchies are kinda reminding me of hellhorses just with the equine feel of the pose and body. ...... And now I'm curious if there would ever be a hybrid of a hybrid released, lol. 

uod was asking that question too while we were trying to solve it lol. 

2 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

If incubate is what affects the color, I've a new (funny) theory regarding temperature

Unincubated coast - Blue *could be a tropical coast and warm*

Unincubated Jungle - Pink *many jungles are hot and humid*

Unincubated Volcano - Orange *yeah, it's hot in there*

Incubated any - Black *oops, the red burned it*

Ugh, I'm so torn now about using incubate or not...I might wait and see what happens to others eggs who did use it.

This seems like a good possibility (if its not rng). Hopefully some people with earthquakes will be able to help us figure it out if it is something like this.