TJ09

2021-01-24 - January Dragon Release

I agree with Vixendra. the last example of this was the Staterae egg, the new super rare CB egg that was available only in the very first hours of their relase... I mean, I understand there is a "race" among us, the one who clicks faster gets the egg... but we should all have the chance to look for them on the day of their announcement, before they get lost under 250+ other breeds. Some of us don't have that chance because of valid in-life reasons. I like to offer others the same chances that I have, making the game just a bit more fair and fun for everyone.

I'm all for being inclusive. It's not talking about gifting or rewarding those who are more active in the game, I could be online breeding 5979867 dragons and not giving 2 cents about the new relase... we all know how precious some eggs become, to the point of being very rare and their only "reasonable" window spawn is often the relase date itself.

EDIT: I may also add that maybe a solution for this is to receive a notification? like for the holiday relases? if 23th March there is a relase we may get a notification via Game/Forum a week in advance... so everyone knows what's coming and can deliberately choose to stay up late/commit their time to DC.

I also love the market and the chance we've got to "buy" the eggs from there, but remember that the eggs you buy there are labelled as they are from "Market" and not from any biome. This influences the game aswell, for example the BREEDING BEHAVIOUR of copper dragons relies on the parent's biome. If I don't even get a chance to catch the super rare Staterae it means that even by buying the Staterae I will be precluded to build certain lineages (copper father x female staterae buyed from the Market = forced color of the Copper Father)

Edited by Naruhina_94

1 minute ago, kerrikins said:

If there was an 'easy' solution beyond just teleporting eggs onto people's scrolls, I think TJ would have introduced it awhile ago. 

While I agree with the rest of your post, I wouldn't bet on this part lol. There are plenty of quality of life suggestions, or even just simple fixes to certain issues, that have gone ignored for years.

36 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

The market, trading, gifting, and the AP are definitely all options if you can't catch something right at the initial release. 

There have been many releases over the years (at all different release times) and these are permanent. It's not good to assume every new dragon is going to be rare or that the release is glitched because you can't catch it in the first few hours. 

As @Nine  and others have said, you'll do better if you learn to have no expectations. 

Agree here. We are less than two days into a new release, it's really very premature to talk about not being able to get a new release or wondering if they are rare. Give it some time! I believe I've seen people thinking they are rare or aren't dropping right in *every single release* within the past year or two. This is how it goes every single time. And every single time they end up pretty dang common (with the exception of the Xenos) after the release-hype dies down.

Also, for people suggesting 24-hour drops, while I agree that *might* make it easier for people in different time zones, it's not going to stop the complaining. There will still be people who didn't see the announcement, couldn't get on, had obligations away from the computer, etc etc. There will never be any way of accommodating everyone. And *please* remember that we *did* have 24+ hour floods at one point and there was complaining about long floods! Again, can't please everyone. 

I'm still waiting on Incubating my biome-eggs, I'd like to see other's eggs hatch and maybe get an idea if I should or shouldn't Incubate, but it's frustrating! I Incubate pretty much everything (except AP eggs that only have a few hours until hatching).

2 hours ago, Naruhina_94 said:

I haven't read all the discussion about BSA able to change the final color but...

What if....

influence the egg female -> pink adult

Influence the egg male -> blue adult

Incubate-> red adult

Precognition -> yellow adult

Could it be? And if u performed more than 1 BSA it's either first one or last one that prevailes.

Now wouldn't that be awesome?

15 minutes ago, MissK. said:

While I agree with the rest of your post, I wouldn't bet on this part lol. There are plenty of quality of life suggestions, or even just simple fixes to certain issues, that have gone ignored for years.

Oh, I know there are things that could be introduced, I just think that the constant debate on making new releases easier is one that isn't so easily fixed. A lot of the 'suggestions' on here would throw things off in the cave for months and other users would still be left unhappy. 

30 minutes ago, AnariaZanyr said:

If this is a reply to me:

trust me, I have learned to have absolutely no expectations in life through bitter disappointments decades ago.

I still don't think a GAME that's supposed to be FUN and a step away from the harsh reality should deliberately be unfair. 

But I guess that's me. I can chose to walk away and I will be doing that, because I get enough s**t from life I can't walk away from to add to it where I have a choice.

This was a comment directed towards the general "you" populace of players who inevitably appear every release. 

If the game is that frustrating for you, by all means step away. 

I really don't think they TJ is actively trying to make the game unfair. It's true he could make the drops more international-friendly, but in the end, we can either be on for the release or we can't. 

5 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

I really don't think they TJ is actively trying to make the game unfair. It's true he could make the drops more international-friendly, but in the end, we can either be on for the release or we can't. 

It USED TO BE international friendly then it got changed to this. THAT is DELIBERATELY making it unfair.
It's not some dream we are asking for it's something that used to be.

12 minutes ago, AnariaZanyr said:

It USED TO BE international friendly then it got changed to this. THAT is DELIBERATELY making it unfair.

I've been playing since 2009 and DC is directly tied to the USA. All releases are done according to cave time/ implied Eastern Time. TJ has tried all manner of release times from 24+ hour drops to scheduled releases to randomly having a dragon drop in the middle of the evening for  a few hours. Nothing really drastic has happened to make getting the dragons unfair or unaccessible to international players. We now have biomes, a market, a discord, and a trading hub.

I have missed out on plenty of dragons on release day (original holiday releases, cheeses, dinos, all of the rare metals, etc.) for one reason or another. There's really no way to make everyone happy. 

Edited by Jazeki

7 minutes ago, AnariaZanyr said:

People complained. Things didn't work. It *used* to be that TJ would *announce* releases ahead of time, telling us exactly when they would happen. It *used* to be that releases happened in the middle of the day. Those things were changed because they just didn't work for the site, for the game as a whole. And yes, people complained back then too. Could things be tweaked now to be better than it currently is? Of course, but it's misleading to act like the current is the worst or things are deliberately made this way to be unfair. At the end of the day, DC is an internet game, and running it requires thinking about things that maybe us users don't really care about or understand.

15 minutes ago, AnariaZanyr said:

The drops used to have varying times and if I recall correctly, there were just as many complaints then as there were now. More, even. That's partly why the site eventually settled on a set time, and usually people abroad are up around three hours after the release so that doesn't seem so bad to me. I mean I'm in North America and I actually forgot to check the site and went to bed, so I didn't get a chance to hunt until 11 hours in 😛

That's why I said that really, short of just placing eggs on people's scrolls, new releases are always going to have issues surrounding them. 

Edit: Also, I'll note here that I wasn't on the site for about nine months this year, just busy with other stuff (politics, pandemic, etc). Came back and found out I'd missed out on a ton of new releases! Sucked, but I have managed to catch and trade for many of them, though there are still some I'm looking for. That's part of DC life. The dragons are always going to be there and usually are eventually achievable with time and patience. 

Edited by kerrikins

Not being here for 9 months is an entirely different thing. I DID come here on the SAME DAY, yet got excluded. Not just harder to catch but nearly a day passed and I only saw ONE egg and managed to get NONE in that time.

anyway, doesn't matter, my problem with this anyone else's problem it doesn't matter because at the end of the day it's TJ's playground and we can take it as it is or leave it.

Like I said I'm leaving it, likely for months now because I don't need to be frustrated with yet another thing next to the pandemic and losing my job thanks to that.

not to be rude and this is just speculation but i think some of the people in this thread are missing out on eggs because they don't realize DC time is like 1.5 or so minutes delayed from EST. are you guys using the clock on DC or your device? because that tripped me up when i first started being diligent about new releases

edit: i am wrong

9DBADECD-86DA-4B0F-B9CE-A0096121A602.gif.6b9e8689bc0d26e3373cadb5de11bb51.gif

Edited by Plaguenurse

38 minutes ago, kerrikins said:

Oh, I know there are things that could be introduced, I just think that the constant debate on making new releases easier is one that isn't so easily fixed. A lot of the 'suggestions' on here would throw things off in the cave for months and other users would still be left unhappy. 

This is true.

31 minutes ago, AnariaZanyr said:

When ? I am not in the US, but I live part of the time on DC time. It is no easier when I'm over there, it really isn't, and never has been. And there was a release no long ago (I forget which) that everyone was complaining about because they "aren't supposed to happen at lunch time..." TJ can't win. But a bit of patience doesn't go astray - and for goodness sake - set up an email alert for new news threads. That's how I find out about them.

18 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

I've been playing since 2009 and DC is directly tied to the USA. All releases are done according to cave time/ implied Eastern Time. TJ has tried all manner of release times from 24+ hour drops to scheduled releases to randomly having a dragon drop in the middle of the evening for  a few hours. Nothing really drastic has happened to make getting the dragons unfair or unaccessible to international players. We now have biomes, a market, a discord, and a trading hub.

I have missed out on plenty of dragons on release day (original holiday releases, cheeses, dinos, all of the rare metals, etc.) for one reason or another. There's really no way to make everyone happy. 

Indeed there isn't. But these are permanent, and I am willing to bet that in a day or so they will be easy enough to get. I caught one earlier today, just saying. I've seen a lot since - looking out of curiosity.

18 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

People complained. Things didn't work. It *used* to be that TJ would *announce* releases ahead of time, telling us exactly when they would happen. It *used* to be that releases happened in the middle of the day. Those things were changed because they just didn't work for the site, for the game as a whole. And yes, people complained back then too. Could things be tweaked now to be better than it currently is? Of course, but it's misleading to act like the current is the worst or things are deliberately made this way to be unfair. At the end of the day, DC is an internet game, and running it requires thinking about things that maybe us users don't really care about or understand.

When releases were announced ahead of time, everyone was on at that moment and it was even worse than the Staterae; everything went in seconds - and then showed up for trade asking for CB golds and the like - and the following week they would turn out to be cave blockers ! Hang in there and be patient.

7 minutes ago, Plaguenurse said:

not to be rude and this is just speculation but i think some of the people in this thread are missing out on eggs because they don't realize DC time is like 1.5 or so minutes delayed from EST. are you guys using the clock on DC or your device? because that tripped me up when i first started being diligent about new releases

oh that actually makes sense now.  when it gets to the hour or :x5 or :x0 on my computer or phone, i refresh, but nothing changes yet.  but after a few moments, when i refresh again, there's the new eggs!

also, fwiw, there used to be a time when DC was TJ's project that he didn't really have to share with the world, so....

I'm on DC time and I definitely do not use the site clock because it's laggy.

And @Fuzzbucket has a point. Lots of people use the new releases as a time to try and get rares. This does not mean that they are automatically going to be rare or worth a rare dragon in exchange. The first day or so is always hectic. But, by the time adults come out, people decide if they like them or not and they're usually much easier to get because a lot of users are locked or the novelty has worn off. 

11 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

TBut a bit of patience doesn't go astray - and for goodness sake - set up an email alert for new news threads. That's how I find out about them.

I forgot to ask earlier - does this work now? It didn't used to work on the old forum, TJ said it was because the post wasn't actually 'new', just hidden until release time. If this works I will definitely subscribe! 

3 minutes ago, kerrikins said:

I forgot to ask earlier - does this work now? It didn't used to work on the old forum, TJ said it was because the post wasn't actually 'new', just hidden until release time. If this works I will definitely subscribe! 

yep, it works, i have lots of threads set up to send me email alerts all the time, including the actual news forum.

I'm confused. There's a dragon release on 1-24?   Subscribe? what  planet am I on ?! I read the news but obvioously the wrong one. lol

Edited by Suzan

54 minutes ago, Plaguenurse said:

I don't think this is true, for me DC refreshes each 5 minutes, right when it should be by the clock, but see below for some details.

44 minutes ago, trystan said:

oh that actually makes sense now.  when it gets to the hour or :x5 or :x0 on my computer or phone, i refresh, but nothing changes yet.  but after a few moments, when i refresh again, there's the new eggs!

also, fwiw, there used to be a time when DC was TJ's project that he didn't really have to share with the world, so....

DC takes around 1 sec (by my clock) to process the 5-minute refreshes, and then the hourly refreshes takes more than ~8 seconds to process, with DC shortly freezing in the middle of that period.

1 hour ago, Naruhina_94 said:

I agree with Vixendra. the last example of this was the Staterae egg, the new super rare CB egg that was available only in the very first hours of their relase... I mean, I understand there is a "race" among us, the one who clicks faster gets the egg... but we should all have the chance to look for them on the day of their announcement, before they get lost under 250+ other breeds. Some of us don't have that chance because of valid in-life reasons. I like to offer others the same chances that I have, making the game just a bit more fair and fun for everyone.

I want to note that increasing the length of the event would give people more equal opportunities, but their actual chances of seizing those opportunities (clicking an egg) would still not be equal. But this problem has already been mentioned.

Edited by Lost_Unicorn
clarified one thing

11 minutes ago, Suzan said:

I'm confused. There's a dragon release on 1-24?   Subscribe? what  planet am I on ?! I read the news but obvioously the wrong one. lol

Set an alert for the news forum, and you will get notified of any new thread.

image.thumb.png.ec1627f6d04642b423338f0e896d7436.png

The link you sent is an image. Got it. Thank you Miss Claw!

Edited by Suzan

28 minutes ago, Lost_Unicorn said:

I don't think this is true, for me DC refreshes each 5 minutes, right when it should be by the clock, but see below for some details.

DC takes around 1 sec (by my clock) to process the 5-minute refreshes, and then the hourly refreshes takes more than ~8 seconds to process, with DC shortly freezing in the middle of that period.

This is exactly how the cave functions for me! 

I find top of the hour during the release drops to be a good time for getting the newest eggs, then usually at the 05 marks after the mixing in starts.

(However, I am having forum issues now. The letters delay showing after I've touched them, and I have to wait till they show to see if I have made any mistakes. This started yesterday and is driving me nuts. The scrolling up and down the pages is also laggy.)

28 minutes ago, Lagie said:

I find top of the hour during the release drops to be a good time for getting the newest eggs, then usually at the 05 marks after the mixing in starts.

(However, I am having forum issues now. The letters delay showing after I've touched them, and I have to wait till they show to see if I have made any mistakes. This started yesterday and is driving me nuts. The scrolling up and down the pages is also laggy.)

I had an easy time grabbing NR eggs, so I did not pay attention to that; but I do assume that the hourly refresh uses different weights (algorithm) when it chooses which eggs to drop.

I have no issues with forum on the computer.