TJ09

2020-10-25 - Halloween Event Begins!

15 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Okay, please help. I'm looking at the wiki pictures/explanation for the door puzzle, and I'm *not* seeing what it shows in the wiki? It looks like each of the four doors is supposed to have one of the symbols, so you can look at the symbols on those first tiles and figure stuff out? But I have no symbols by my doors!

image.png.2894cfc4d028a7ce8aed437b00410fcd.png

I never saw any identifying marks on my doors either! I had to brute force guess all of them.

Welp... the game was interesting. I likely would have adored it a few years back when I felt a lot better. Thank you for the hard work as always, humans. Runa made me think of the Discord people I knew. Nice times. Now my head hurts. Yay.

Doors: if you enter a door that chuckles, you entered the wrong door. Just keep in mind the pattern. You go through a door and no cackle? That is the right door. Any door that cackles sends you back to square one. So, you might go door 1, door 2, door 3- cackle!!! Crap, well, start over. Door 1, door 2, door 4, door 1- cackle!!! Crap... Start over. Door 1, door 2, dooe 4, door...

Edited by Nyxity

28 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Okay, please help. I'm looking at the wiki pictures/explanation for the door puzzle, and I'm *not* seeing what it shows in the wiki? It looks like each of the four doors is supposed to have one of the symbols, so you can look at the symbols on those first tiles and figure stuff out? But I have no symbols by my doors!

image.png.2894cfc4d028a7ce8aed437b00410fcd.png

Spoiler

There are only symbols by the doors in the first two rooms. You've gotta figure out which symbols correspond to the second two doors in the subsequent rooms 😄

16 hours ago, Teez said:

This is what I've got, up to the rune puzzle... assuming the solutions aren't randomized.

Hide contents

Going through the doors:
1. x O
2. x x x O
3. O x x x
4. x x x O
5. x O x x
6. x x O x

Cauldron (#1):
1. moonblossom
2. wormwood
3. water
4. trickster
5. scale

Mana orbs:
orange blue red blue

Rune Lock:
I had so much trouble with this. Had to go look up solutions to other puzzles, and this is the one that worked for me.
The order the runes change in: yellow - white - green - orange.
Treat it as solving the puzzle twice over. Pick a rune and call it "1" so that the rest are numbered in order (so, in my case, ye-1, wh-2, gr-3, or-4).
For the first run, consider 1 and 3 the state "on," and 2 and 4 the state "off." (So, yellow and green are both "on," and white and orange are both "off".)
Start on the top row. Click all of the "on" states just once as you move across the row, then move to the start of the second row. Do this for all rows.
Repeat this, starting from the top again. Eventually, you are left with only your "off" states (2 and 4).
Consider 2 your new "on" state and 4 your new "off" state. Use the previous method, clicking your "on" tiles (2) as you go down each row, BUT instead of clicking once, click TWICE for each "on" state (to make sure all the tiles are still either 2 or 4).
Eventually, all of your tiles should be 4.

Now I'm stuck on the first puzzle after the runes... The hints don't make nearly as much sense to me.

you have saved my life. i finally got past the rune puzzle!!

If that swearing wolf to werewolf trick or treat is a “we’re werewolves not swearwolves” reference, whoever sprited it I love you forever XDD ❤️❤️❤️

edit: SPRITED NOT SPRINTED

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

That was fun!  I'm glad someone already had set up the hints to help with the puzzles, otherwise I'm pretty sure my dumb-dumb brain would have gotten frustrated before it figured out the rune puzzle.  The door puzzle probably would have killed me after awhile without hints as it reminds me painfully of another game I played on Warcraft to get a mount....those never-ending halls are burned into my brain.

My only critique would be that there's way too many loose ends.  Why did we show up in the crater?  Did we have a really bad teleportation spell and cause the explosion?  Which caused the crater in the town and ended up in the desert?  Or was the spell CAST on us and screwed up?  If it was a messed up spell, was that what caused our amnesia?  Did we slowly start gaining our memory back as we went?  Or are we still just as in the dark as we started when we began??  And are we still going to have to deal with those guards later??  Why was there a zombie dragon in the sewers trying to sing?  Did they think the acoustics were better in there??  (I hope we can apologize to them, I felt bad for thrown a shoe at them!  Just cause it's a zombie doesn't mean they don't have feelings! [Well, at least in this world])  Also why do all the Pseudo-wyverns sound like enraged Karens??  Bugs I ran into were just a few times of the name of Sanda turning back into 'Player' at times.

The lost city looked like a mix between Mesopotamia, Greek, and Egyptian, which I'm guessing was more stylistic rather than a hint towards what happened.  From what I cobbled together, the city was filled with magic users that used magic for the littlest things, and that seemed to be sorta controversial between peoples.  The younger brother took over the kingdom from his elder brother after something happened to him (whatever that was isn't clear but considering what is implied by the servant's note, maybe the younger brother killed him?).  From the servant's note also, it seemed that there were....some very dark shenanigans going on in the palace, ones that might involved human sacrifices, which leads me to question, was the Lich the younger brother king?  After that it seemed that the controversy of using magic recklessly and possibly dark magic reached other places and basically had 'crusaders' come in to raze the city (he almost sounds like Emperor Caracalla who killed his brother [Though that was the elder killing the younger] and then suffered intense instability and invasions from the Germanic peoples, while also being considered almost as cruel as Nero or Caligula and possibly the most tyrannical of roman emperors) of it's dark mages....annnnd by proxy pretty much destroy the rest of the city while the king and his dark mages all hid in the palace.  Now the question is, did the Lich set up all the puzzles?  Or did he ask some dragons to help him make those puzzles to keep people away from his devious plan?  How long as he been planning that anyways???

The characters were also interesting, I'm most interested in figuring out Stella, who claims her order (I'm guessing it's a her with the name but you never know) is against giving out information after phase-shifting.  Does she have phase-walking magic like Shadow-walkers?  It would make sense then why she's connected to the Shadow-walker puzzle I suppose?  To be fair, all of the wizards seem connected to some dragon that the puzzles are based on, aside from Biscuit.  Biscuit is just...Biscuit.  A cute friend.  That does bring up the question though, if each of the explorers are connected to a type of dragon, what is Sanda's dragon?  Clearly not Magi dragons with the teleportation magic screw up (if that's what happened)  I thought maybe the Caligene since well, Biscuit isn't really a Caligene, but the color scheme doesn't match Sanda.  Sanda honestly looks like a blue-eyed mummy, even Runa asks us that at one point.  And then I thought 'OMG ARE WE GETTING A MUMMY DRAGON!?'  And I would totally be cool with that.  AND THEN I end up in the museum and a randomly placed werewolf- er I mean 'Lycanthrope' sculpture appears and now I'm wondering 'Omg, werewolf dragon!?'

Other fun asides would be:  I had fun with the magelights, pushing the little Punki around was cute, tried to get him over the bridge, wasn't able to.  The Gold Dragon egg jab was cute.  Still trying to figure out where Sanda was hiding a ham, let alone all of the carrots.  PET ALL THE GOATS.  Runa's laugh was funny, I had to keep repeating the sound and it would sound like a hyperactive mouse trying to do an evil laugh.  Always nice to see Cabbage Guy with a new stall that's not destroyed (yet).  I don't think it was intentional, but I liked the almost Journey-like vibe it had in a 16-bit format.

I think I got it all, I'll add more if I think of anything else.

Edited by ironmaiden66

Well, with the help of the guide I managed to make it through the game and get the badge. I also found all 50 treats. Since I already had all the previous years treats I guess I am done until Halloween. Good job everyone who put this holiday together!

Now waiting for Halloween - the new dragon to drop and creating my zombies.

Edited by jis99

Trying to defeat the Lich King and I've been trying to attack as much as I can while defending when he casts his spell. How come I keep losing so much health from his minor attacks? What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Nvm I figured it out and beaten him

Edited by Zilverwing

Omg we can get stuff from past years?? Please make this a thing for every year!!! I got some from other events I missed. This is awesome!!!

I'm not very far into the game but I gotta say, the dialogue is hilarious. The game looks really good, too! Great job to everyone involved!

Do we really only get a badge for this event if we *finish* the game? I'm seriously hating these puzzles, it's not fun at all and I'm very frustrated, but I'd hate to miss out on a holiday badge!

8 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

No-one says you have to play. You seem to feel the same way every time - so why do you bother ? I got stuck loads of times and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

And you know they don't get paid for any of this, so I still think we are lucky to have any games at all.

I bother because there is enough good in the games that the fact that these pitfalls that would be easily avoided with more aggressive scope-cutting (why, if the team knows that they have a harsh time limit and are 100% volunteers, do we have a route split with the guard encounter? why do we have nothing-areas, if the time and dev power is apparently so limited? that's precious dev time that would be better spent elsewhere, because even when it's a bunch of copy-pasted code, you need to spend the time to check for places the player can get stuck or go out of bounds) show up constantly and it speaks very poorly of the production process that this keeps happening despite it causing problems previously. It actively interferes with enjoyment of the genuinely nice writing and art if the mechanics are bad!

I literally work as a one-person dev team so I know intimately how important and painful it is to cut down to things that NEED to be done vs what I WANT to have done. I WANT these games to be 100% enjoyable, which is why I bring it up.

Busted my butt all day today at work by checking my phone every 5-15 mins and got all 50 pretty quick! Now I'm getting the few treats I missed in previous years and it is SO gratifying. Those things bothered me for YEARS ;v;

I hope Easter eggs will get a similar treatment next year, though if so I hope we get more than the normal 3 days. I'm missing all the eggs from the very first year it started so xD

Edited by TheDarkLatias
Added extra

10 minutes ago, TheDarkLatias said:

Busted my but all day today at work by checking my phone every 5-15 mins and got all 50 pretty quick! Now I'm getting the few treats I missed in previous years and it is SO carthatic. Those things bothered me for YEARS.

same i missed almost half my first year treats and its the only year i missed any. so nice to finally have the full collection.

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

2 hours ago, Arella said:

I never saw any identifying marks on my doors either! I had to brute force guess all of them.

the doors dont have the tile symbols exactly.

Spoiler

the symbols are shown through the spikes on the door. and a door can represent 2 symbols. so its 50/50 on which door is correct.

which door means which:

Spoiler

4 spikes = empty diamond and full star.

2 spikes at top only = empty star and full diamond.

Edited by reddof-f6

Question, I'm using firefox and having trouble with the rune puzzle? Once the tiles are blank, are they supposed to change back or stay blank?

Just now, Sextonator said:

Question, I'm using firefox and having trouble with the rune puzzle? Once the tiles are blank, are they supposed to change back or stay blank?

That's intentional! You have to:

Spoiler

finish all the temples before you can solve that puzzle :) 

Hope that helps!

Just now, Pixxelation said:

That's intentional! You have to:

Reveal hidden contents

finish all the temples before you can solve that puzzle :) 

Hope that helps!

.....I missed a step, lol.

^- Yeah I just started taking all of one color orb and lining them up, finding the colors that lit up and then lined them up as it showed XD way easier to figure out that way.

Okay, wait, hold on. We have to go through all the puzzles twice?!?! Did the rune puzzle, opened the door, went through the spooky areas, and now I'm back at those same freaking puzzles?! Okay, nope, this is *not* fun.

I just got my first old treat!  Looks to be from the year before I started (it's a 2017).  I'm interested to see if it stays that way and slowly tracks back, or if it's random.  What's super cool is that I now have the 2018 banner!  I've always hated that you don't have the banner from your first year!  Thanks for giving us the old treats, TJ!