TJ09

2020-10-25 - Halloween Event Begins!

1 minute ago, MissK. said:

Yeah I can imagine. When I first saw the doors thing I was so confused, and kept going back and forth trying to figure out if there was some kind of pattern on the floor and walls I was missing lol. At least for that one though I just spoke to Avery again and it basically skipped me to the end - I do think it would help to have a bit more of that incorporated into the puzzles, the option of extra hints or eventually just skipping through it if someone really can't figure it out. (I absolutely had to follow the solution posted in this thread for the runes, which feels a bit like cheating.)

I had to as well. I can not stand puzzles like that because they are math based. I actually had to get my husband to do the Mine Sweeper one we had a while back because I couldn't from the moment I saw what it was. I do think for puzzles like that a skip option will help keep the complaints to a small degree.

Completed the game at last!

Here's a long critique:

I really liked it, and found the colours and elaborate visuals (yes, granted the stylistic graininess) superb especially in the two potion puzzles. There were readily-available clues for most puzzles, and with a little brain-jogging I found them rather straightforward as puzzles go. I found the orbs and potion puzzles the most explicit, because the potions' scroll scraps literally told you what to do step by step (even despite that wording issue I mentioned earlier) and the orbs' pre-tries staying up with those little lights were great help (I must admit that at 3am it made perfect sense to me that the circles in a square pattern were supposed to be read 1-2 top, 3-4 bottom, but I'm not sure if my broad-daylight brain would have caught onto that...)

Just to say, the only one of these puzzles I'd ever played before was the maze of zombie-dogs, so I can't tell if it would have been hard to grasp were I not already initiated to that one.

I liked the variety in puzzles, different ones to suit all types of brain (or so I thought until I read the comments on this forum) and then having the different types of brains pool their resources on the forum. However, if the point was that a single player should solve all these puzzles without requiring help from forums... I don't think it's possible for the majority of players. The previously-suggested idea of 'difficulty levels' might be a good one to even it up.

But still, there were places where the clues... well, the Desipis/door puzzles, there didn't appear to be any hints at all in the Lich Palace version, and in the first ones I didn't see the symbols at all and went by memory alone (time-consuming and not a 'puzzle' as such when played that way). And the runes puzzle made zero sense to me even after Teez' and others' hints, I'm still entirely at a loss as to the logic behind the solution xD 

Could there have been some scroll(s) somewhere with hints for that runes puzzle? Maybe interacting with the goats could have 'burped' some clues for that puzzle! Give carrot, receive clue. Think clue useless until 5h later when all other puzzles solved and you're faced with the runes... and go, 'oh, dear, is that what goats were trying to tell me? Quick, back to pettin goats!'

28 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

The event has been updated. You may need to reload the page to see the full changes:

• You can change your player name from the pause menu.
  • A crash when using slightly older browsers (i.e. not the exact latest version) has been resolved.
  • The desert has been adjusted to prevent being warped into places you can't otherwise reach, and people who are stuck should be able to escape by walking to the edges of the map.

The event will continue receiving updates, bug fixes, etc as it continues.

TJ I was stuck by the blue head.  Per your fix I walked into the edge of the map ending up here:

2020-10-25_17-30-13.png.5888fa928a5d8c72b02e328290207cf3.png

As you can see...I am now invisible!  I've tried all the arrows but can't find me and I can't walk back into an edge of the map :(

Well, I , for one, really enjoyed this game -I loved the nostalgic, SNES 16 bit feel- and the puzzles were fun even if they were a bit confusing.

The only issue I had was on the first orb puzzle and had tried lots of different combinations but after a point I couldn't fully reference the list of combos I used i.e once the list got to a certain size I couldn't scroll through to see what partial combos were correct and the game froze only once and all I had to do was click on the dragon cave logo to get out then re-enter the game and it was fine.

At any rate, I loved this game and hope there will be more AND..whoever crafted the game environment..you are real pro's and should make more. Maybe mini-games for this site or something.

P.S: Also missed the snow wars simply because I liked making my own little village

Sorry..I ramble..thank you for such a awesome event!

2 minutes ago, Pinch of StarDust said:

TJ I was stuck by the blue head.  Per your fix I walked into the edge of the map ending up here:

2020-10-25_17-30-13.png.5888fa928a5d8c72b02e328290207cf3.png

As you can see...I am now invisible!  I've tried all the arrows but can't find me and I can't walk back into an edge of the map :(

You might like to join other who are stuck (though visible) in that same general area.

I'm dizzy and sleepy after like an hour trying to solve the altar with indentations puzzle, I don't see any clues... I already had enough frustration with that door that sent you back to the beginning >.<

I'll continue later if I feel motivated.

Meanwhile I'll get back to collect those treats I lack from previous years.

For me, I'm still trying to figure out the 16 rune puzzle. If this is based on a 4 row Rubik's cube, I'm screwed. The only I was able to figure out was the sequence of the tile changes from the green markings to the red markings to the yellow markings and finally the white markings. Everything else was easy so far.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You might like to join other who are stuck (though visible) in that same general area.

Fuzz I was stuck in that part of the desert for hours.  Up and to the right is the blue head.  At least I'm past that part with TJ's fix, going thru the edge on the right...to become invisible and stuck.

17 minutes ago, MissK. said:

Just so you know, the orb puzzle is based on a game called Mastermind, and while it takes a couple of random tries at the start you can then start deducing what to try next from the information you have. It's almost exclusively logic based (unless you are extremely lucky and get it right immediately).

But I agree with a lot of what you said, especially that puzzle was easy for me because I already knew the rules; I can imagine someone who hasn't played it before might be confused. And the door part being purely trial and error was just tedious.

Edit: Since I'm talking about it already, I thought a couple of clues in the potion game were a bit unhelpful too, though the general idea was great.

Spoiler

The puzzle of the leftmost temple is not just trial and error. :3 The solution is in the first room. For more information: https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/Currently_Being_Released#Puzzle_guide
We can definitely learn much from this experience and hopefully improve in the future! Thanks for the feedback.

2 minutes ago, Mewtie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The puzzle of the leftmost temple is not just trial and error. :3 The solution is in the first room. For more information: https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/Currently_Being_Released#Puzzle_guide
We can definitely learn much from this experience and hopefully improve in the future! Thanks for the feedback.

Interesting, that's where I searched for a solution and at the time it basically said we have to brute force it by trial and error. I suppose people hadn't fully figured it out yet? Still, I feel like I was either blind or experienced some form of visual glitch though because I swear I checked everywhere for something connecting the doors to the..."information" in the first room, and didn't see anything. 

Can't do this, too complex with the ruins and I tried reading the advice people here had to give on it but for a person with ADHD it doesn't help a lot and my brain can't wrap around it. Giving up, prize can't be that worth it to give myself a headache over it.

Edit, nevermind, found a guide for it and managed to get through.

Edited by RikkaChan
Spelling mistake.

1 hour ago, TJ09 said:

The event has been updated. You may need to reload the page to see the full changes:

• You can change your player name from the pause menu.
  • A crash when using slightly older browsers (i.e. not the exact latest version) has been resolved.
  • The desert has been adjusted to prevent being warped into places you can't otherwise reach, and people who are stuck should be able to escape by walking to the edges of the map.

The event will continue receiving updates, bug fixes, etc as it continues.

Great, now it works with my favourite browser - thank you!

Successfully finished left doors several times and didn't receive runas. I think I'm dissappointed enough for killing so much time on it to stop here.

3 hours ago, CopperPayne said:

My issue with that was that the symbols weren't showing on the floor.  They were just...normal tiles.  Thankfully, a screenie on the wiki lined it up and I was able to figure it out but anyone else have that problem?  Blank floor tiles?

Ok I knew I can't have been crazy so I went through the entire thread to see if anyone else had this issue. Yes I had the same problem CopperPayne. 

The only reason I know for sure I can't have missed it is that I did notice the clues in the first room, and was looking all over for how to apply them, even considered if the shapes were somehow associated with the door arches or the things outside (torch, tombstone etc). I'm glad it was at least meant to have a proper solution instead of random chance though. 

Well I managed to get through the whole game but I had the issue with it - it was completely mute. No sound or music playing throughout the game, not even after hard refresh or restarting the browser.

I have a spread sheet of combinations for the first cauldron but none work, is my brain glitching? Can anyone help me before I rage quit XD

3 minutes ago, Elery. said:

I have a spread sheet of combinations for the first cauldron but none work, is my brain glitching? Can anyone help me before I rage quit XD

Sometimes you get the combo right but it's the browser that's not working. Hitting refresh fixed the glitch for me when I got it, your progress is saved. If that doesn't work, the combo is:

Spoiler

Moon blossom, wormwood, sacred water, jester's cap, and magi scale.

1 minute ago, soullessheartofsteel said:

Sometimes you get the combo right but it's the browser that's not working. Hitting refresh fixed the glitch for me when I got it, your progress is saved. If that doesn't work, the combo is:

Hide contents

Moon blossom, wormwood, sacred water, jester's cap, and magi scale.

Thank You I will refresh, I put that one in and got no results. ill try again.

you guys outdid yourselves, this is the most fun i had for a Halloween event XD

even if the puzzle were a bit unclear, and i'm SO HAPPY to finally be able to get the past treats i missed.

now if only we could get actual CB vampire back to the caves then i'll be completely spoiled 💖💖💖

I just don't understand this game. I've walked all over the place but just end up back at the dark circle on the ground you start on. What am I missing? 🤨

2 hours ago, Sylph264 said:

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if anybody else has put up a guide for the orb puzzle. This isn't the fastest way to solve the puzzle, but it's easier to wrap your head around than faster strategies. 

Hide contents

1. Put four of any one color of orbs on the pedestal- let's say you start with blue. The number of dots tells you how many blue orbs you'll need in your final pattern. No dots= no blue orbs, one dot= one blue orb, two dots=two, etc.

2. Put four of any of the other three color of orbs on the pedestal. Let's say you use white. Again, the number of dots tells you how many white orbs you'll need in your final pattern. 

3. Do this with all four colors, and by the end you'll know exactly how many of each color you'll need in your final pattern. It's possible you'll need multiples or none of certain colors.

4. Now you start trying to figure out the order of your orbs. You can start by taking the proper number of each color orb and putting them on the pedestal in a random order. Each yellow dot means you have a correct color orb in the correct spot, and each white dot means you have a correct color orb in the wrong spot. Since there are only four spaces, there aren't that many possible orders (24 total if you don't feel like puzzling out what the dots mean). Just take it slow and swap spots between two orbs at a time, and you'll get it eventually. 

I don't know if this is worded that well, but I hope it can help some people who're having trouble. :)

OMG thank you! I finally got my own puzzle figured out thanks to your tip. Three blue and one white = white, blue, blue, blue =

Aww. I just got The Little Prince's rose! :wub: How lovely!

And I love that there appears to be a kneeling Weeping Angel in the stone angels graveyard scene.

The treats are amazing again!

Thank you, spriters! :D