TJ09

2020-10-25 - Halloween Event Begins!

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

I thought I had checked that multiple times. It seems you have to be in exactly the right spot and a little yellow dot shows up. Thanks! Now to see where I get stuck next. XD

Those yellow dots were definitely a bit wonky at times; I generally try to interact with everything I can and read any available text, so sometimes I noticed I had to keep walking into an item to manage to read it. Keep an eye out for the flickering dots!

I only have 13 treats so far ^^ really hoping to get all 50!

and hopefully some halloween eggs, since I'm egglocked at the moment. 

(didn't prepare for the event in any way)

Aaaaaaah seriously, game artist(s), you made everything so pretty!

EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! OoooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo! AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Delighted noises!  :D

Edited by Confused Cat

Anyone have issues with the first cauldron? I am 99% sure I'm putting in the ingredients correctly and yet it does nothing.

3 minutes ago, Onakra said:

Anyone have issues with the first cauldron? I am 99% sure I'm putting in the ingredients correctly and yet it does nothing.

Can you post (in spoilers) the order you're using?

I could have sworn I had gotten all the old treats, yet I have gotten three that would have come out in 2012(?) - the red swirl peppermint, the candy corn being munched, and a dragon orb thing.

Apparently I miscounted and have my 50 for this year, but I think I received one of the old ones before I got my 50 for this year.

Edited by pegasi1978

I have got to a screen with lots of quares that made me stuck, I pressed like a lot of keys and nothing get's me unstuck, please help, I'll leave a screenshot

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c068316cf3bba117394ea14581864361.png

Edited by Glaciarie

1 minute ago, Glaciarie said:

I have got to a screen with lots of quares that made me stuck, I pressed like a lot of keys and nothing get's me unstuck, please help, I'll leave a screenshot

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.c068316cf3bba117394ea14581864361.png

you need to collect all the runes in all the puzzle rooms ^^

Woohoo, got the badge! :D
I'd never have thought I'd make it after getting stuck in that maze for ages. But then all of a sudden I got the hang of it and the rest was fairly easy. Loved the door and orb puzzles, but they were all done 

so well. A huge thank you to everyone who contributed to this wonderful episode of Valkemarian Tales! Love love love this game and definitely wouldn't mind another Valkemarian Christmas story. :wub:

And now you'll have to excuse me, I've got some old treats to catch.

Foof,,, I'm stuck on the rune puzzle. It's quite a lovely game though, so Kudos to everyone who took part in making it!! I plan to try and do some research on how to complete puzzles like this one after my classes. Maybe I'll learn something, heh!

I think there may be a glitch with mine. On the first potions puzzle, I put in

Spoiler

moonflower, wormwood, water, jester's cap, then magi's scale

, but nothing happens. It's the solution on the wiki page so either I have a randomized solution, or there's a glitch. 😅
I also tried picking them up in the same order and still nothing. Is this a glitch issue?

Edited by MoonTiger

I'm at the cave reunited with the group and i interacted with the key hole and it shows 16 stone plates and nothing is happening, I can't activate anything and they don't go away.

I am so happy to have access to old CB halloweens! I came back in December after an extremely long hiatus and am stoked I was able to catch up on allll the holidays I missed. I'm especially happy about the halloweens, though, since I love the holiday. 

11 minutes ago, MoonTiger said:

Hide contents

, but nothing happens. It's the solution on the wiki page so either I have a randomized solution, or there's a glitch. 😅

I tried this one. I also exchanged the water and the flower and tried that. But nothing happens.

14 minutes ago, MoonTiger said:

Reveal hidden contents

I also tried picking them up in the same order and still nothing. Is this a glitch issue?

Same problem!

Re: Nothing happening after the first cauldron–

Spoiler

That solution looks correct. After you put in the ingredients, the room should shake and you get a message about something shifting deeper in the temple. Go back to the room to the north where you found the ingredients, and there will now be a door through to a new room.

I haven't started the game yet, I've had a busy weekend, but so far I am loving the Halloween event! I love it every year, but I'm so excited that I can find trick-or-treats from previous years! I missed the entire event the year the Cavern Lurkers arrived, and have been kicking myself ever since!

Thanks for all the work you guys put into these events, and I can't wait to play more Valkemarian Tales!

Ok, I think I found all the NPCs and interactable things in the city! Tell me if I missed anything so I can find it on replay!

Spoiler

Upon arrival, you're chased by the yellow- and cyan-masked guards in a minigame where you have to move left and right to avoid obstacles. If captured, escape prison by interacting with the cell door and then the sewer grate at the bottom right of the cell; the only character in the sewers is a zombie dragon (and a boot you can optionally throw at it if you want to be mean!!). Escaping the sewer puts you on the first map you'd be on if you successfully fled.

Aside from the zombie, you can always return to an NPC and try a different dialog choice without affecting the story.

Map 1 (can't go south because of guards; exit north to Map 2):

• MAN in area on left, inexplicably: "Cake makes me explode."
  • XY: found 2lb of wrapped beef on the ground, and has decided to just take it because it's still cold. Sanda is bemused.
  • MERCHANT (white goatee): thinks it's a beautiful day for some shopping.
  • MERCHANT (red hair): loves Sanda's outfit, thinks it "really brings out the color of your... eye."
  • MERCHANT (green shirt): a cabbage merchant who describes cabbages as the best plant on the planet, won't sell you any, and gets angry if you "insult" them by not wanting them.
  • CAMEL: makes a groaning sound.

Map 2 (exits south to Map 1, west to Map 2, east to Map 3): The Palace is on this map.

• OLD LADY: Tells you not to trust someone dressed in a parka, because she heard they got coal for the holidays "and we all know what that means."
  • SINGER: Sings that this sand was made for you and me.
  • The alleyway directly right of palace leads to a muffled conversation you can hear through a wall: two unknown people plan to sneak out of the city, taking the guards with them, and throw a birthday party in the desert.
  • GUARD (right): hates their post in front of the palace, asking if you can cover for them for ten minutes before sheepishly changing their mind because it'd be a security risk.
  • DOOMSAYER: grows increasingly eloquent, if you keep listening, about how all must repent because the great lord Amon Snipper-Snapper has been awakened from his long ocean-bed slumber now that the great horn is blown, and he will destroy all humans and their works with his mighty claws. Sanda thinks it's a hoax but is happy to not be near the ocean.
  • GUARD (left): hates the heat, wants to be promoted to a post inside the palace.

Map 3 (exits east to Map 2 and north to Map 5):

• BOY: asks what's under Sanda's hood, apologizing for his rude curiosity if you don't unmask, screaming for the hood to go back on if they do -- and then apologizing again for the rudeness of this reaction: he just "didn't expect.... that."
  • GIRL: confides that the orange-masked guard has a crush on the cyan-masked guard. Sanda responds with a pun.

Map 4 (exits west to Map 2 and north to Map 5):

• The Great Desert Museum is here. The CURATOR blocking the door greets you as their missing colleague and tells you to hurry up and join the archaeological expedition in the desert. After this encounter, Sanda can leave the city by exiting at the top of Map 5.
  • RANDI: says magicians tell you honestly that they're about to fool you. Sanda prefers real magic over illusions; Randi approves.

Map 5 (northernmost map in city; exits west to Map 3, east to Map 4, and north to leave the city after visiting the Museum):

• GUARD (yellow mask): Asks if you've seen a hooded person who might be wielding powerful magic. Interacting with them starts the chase-scene minigame again, and one way or another you end up back at Map 1.
  • MAN and WOMAN on some steps: tell you off for ruining their moment.
  • GIRL: describes an explosion a few days ago, where someone wearing a hood tried to cast a spell and it went awry. Sanda nervously says it's lucky hoods are so fashionable that it could have been anyone.
  • GUARD (a guardian dragon, left of the northern exit): has a rhyme based on a pun.
  • WIZARD: tells you about his career and how he accidentally blew up his lab some years back, losing some fingers, but it he was already tired of his busy career and wanted to retire anyway. Mentions that the police consulted him on the recent explosion, which was an "ill-advised" teleportation spell that had either transported or vaporized the caster. Sanda pretends innocence.
  • GUARD (a guardian dragon, right of the northern exit): has a request based on a pun.
  • WOMAN: wonders if she's seen you before.
  • A crater in an alcove resembles the one you woke up on in the desert, full of static, slag, and magical residue.
  • GIRL: is SO EXCITED TO SEE SANDA'S NEW SHOES. Sanda poses smugly.

Looks like I'm in the desert now. Will try to find all the NPCs here too.

Edited by infiniteviking

11 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Re: Nothing happening after the first cauldron–

Reveal hidden contents

That solution looks correct. After you put in the ingredients, the room should shake and you get a message about something shifting deeper in the temple. Go back to the room to the north where you found the ingredients, and there will now be a door through to a new room.

Ok. I did the other three temples first, then left the game. Came back to the temple with the cauldron, collected the ingredients in the order that they need to go into the cauldron, dropped them in and it opened the door to the rune.

@Glaciarie @kammo Press Backspace, that should get you out of the blank rune puzzle, then go through each door & solve the puzzles there to collect the 4 sets of runes needed to activate the puzzle.

5 minutes ago, infiniteviking said:

Ok, I think I found all the NPCs and interactable things in the city! Tell me if I missed anything so I can find it on replay!

<snip>

Great, thank you! Not sure if this is the complete list, but I can't remember any other NPCs.

I also liked the information about all the exhibits at the museum, including one artifact on loan from Nulhora. :D

Just finished the games, really, really like the puzzels!

Two small critics tho:

Spoiler

- The Door-Puzzle could been explained better, i had to use a guide to figure out that no, the first rune in the previous room doesnt apply to the acual solution but is part of the room that it is present in, could been more clear

- What the yellow and white dots mean in the orb puzzle, i spend an whole hour making all white first...