TJ09

2020-10-25 - Halloween Event Begins!

@walkinslow You're welcome! :D I'll definitely be documenting the exhibits when I get to that part of the game. Right now I'm in the desert finding all the goats! 

15 hours ago, Vain.3805 said:

What part are you stuck on?

The maze in the dark game & the find the right door game. It's where you meet up with everyone & then there's a tile game, but I have no idea how to play it, since I don't have all the tiles. At this point I'm giving up. This is the 3rd game of it's type that I'm having trouble with. The two previous games from previous years both froze on me & I was unable to complete them. I think it stinks that in order to get the badge you have to play the game, unlike previous years where if you tried & couldn't do it, you still got a badge.

I do appreciate your offer to help, but I'm considering this a lost cause as I work & really don't have the time to sit & play this. I already wasted most of my day yesterday, trying to get somewhere with this game. All the other games we've had on this site were fun, except these ones.

I have made A MISTAKE. I bred my Pumpkin x Misfit pair to get a perfect even-gen, because I thought I had room - but I hit the scroll lock due to 24 eggs/hatchies. If anyone finds the offspring of Lluc Pumpkin and Julia Pumpkin, I will happily trade to get one of them back!

1 minute ago, kiramaru7 said:

The maze in the dark game & the find the right door game. It's where you meet up with everyone & then there's a tile game, but I have no idea how to play it, since I don't have all the tiles. At this point I'm giving up. This is the 3rd game of it's type that I'm having trouble with. The two previous games from previous years both froze on me & I was unable to complete them. I think it stinks that in order to get the badge you have to play the game, unlike previous years where if you tried & couldn't do it, you still got a badge.

I do appreciate your offer to help, but I'm considering this a lost cause as I work & really don't have the time to sit & play this. I already wasted most of my day yesterday, trying to get somewhere with this game. All the other games we've had on this site were fun, except these ones.

There's a solve on the currently being released wiki page

It's just math

4 minutes ago, Vain.3805 said:

There's a solve on the currently being released wiki page

It's just math

Thanks. I saw that about the wiki last night & got nowhere with it. I have a lot of difficulty with math, that's why I work in a job where I don't need it. ;) As far as I'm concerned, these games may look pretty, but they are sooo NOT fun. :(

Edited by kiramaru7

2 minutes ago, kiramaru7 said:

Thanks. I saw that about the wiki last night & got nowhere with it. I have a lot of difficulty with math, that's why I work in a job where I don't need it. ;) As far as I'm concerned, these games may look pretty, but they are sooo NOT fun. :(

Just click each tile the number of times it says

All ya gotta do is count! It saved me

34 minutes ago, Sunrunner said:

@Glaciarie @kammo Press Backspace, that should get you out of the blank rune puzzle, then go through each door & solve the puzzles there to collect the 4 sets of runes needed to activate the puzzle.

Oh thanks!

Thank you to all of the volunteers, candy spiriters, and anyone else involved in the event. So much fun! ^_^

Now I just need to get past the weird maze where I can only access one door lol ^_^;

Edited by flower1818

The site is really lagging for me. Is this happening to others, or is it my Internet acting up?

Got this year's treats gathered and was super excited to find my own piece of pixel art amongst them. :DNow trying to complete the rest of my collection; thanks for the opportunity! There were so many lovely treats this year that it's hard to pick a fave, but the swearwolf and eye candy were particularly puntastic. Special shoutout to whoever made this year's treat banner: it is simply gorgeous! :wub:

48 minutes ago, kiramaru7 said:

I think it stinks that in order to get the badge you have to play the game, unlike previous years where if you tried & couldn't do it, you still got a badge.

Where has TJ said this ? People in this thread have said it - but there hasn't been any official statement - not a word from TJ. I still reckon those who DON'T compete will get a different one. @TJ09 - can you please clarify : Not to get one at all would be unprecedented.

Well, with the help of the forum and Dragoncave Wiki, I got through the game. Thanks to all who helped post information and solutions! It was fun to play! :)

Now I have to do a *lot* of TaT treat collecting. I'm a bit behind... like... a few years worth? ^^;;

3 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Where has TJ said this ? People in this thread have said it - but there hasn't been any official statement - not a word from TJ. I still reckon those who DON'T compete will get a different one. @TJ09 - can you please clarify : Not to get one at all would be unprecedented.

Haven't seen TJ say anything about it, but it's an understandable assumption given that *usually* we get the badge once we start playing the game, but this time the badge doesn't appear until after we've *finished* the game. I guess it's possible at the end of the event everyone who doesn't finish will get a badge, but that's not usually how it goes. 

I've finally finished the freaking game, and have thoughts. The artwork is GORGEOUS, and even though I honestly didn't like this installment of 'Valkemare Tales' at all I did save some screenshots because of the amazing artwork. It looks like a lot of time went into the beautiful buildings and statues and such. 

However, there have been a *lot* of bugs this time around, more than usual it seems like? Outright blank page, getting frozen in one corner, the map glitching repeatedly, it feels like it took longer than usual for the game to 'stabilize'. I'm not a coder and have no real idea what goes into making a game like this, but I'd personally think more time should be put into making sure everything is working smoothly *before* rolling it out to users, especially since it seems like a lot of extra work went into 'extra' map areas and tons of random things that don't actually advance the game at all. That leads to my next point, as a DC-player who wanted to participate in the holiday game but doesn't really care for these specific type of character-roleplay-puzzle games in general, it felt like there was a *lot* of extra stuff that just took way too much time for no real reason? Like, we had to wander in the desert literally going back through the exact same spots for a specific number of times until we 'found' the city, that really wasn't fun or needed. And the guards chasing us, I thought I did something *super* wrong when I actually got away from the guards and was just wandering all around the city with no clue what to do next?? 

The puzzles, while frustrating and not fun for me, were mostly okay... Except that door one. It was not obvious at *all* how to figure that one out, and even reading this entire thread *and* the wiki I still have no idea how the tile symbols were supposed to help, I literally just had to try every single door combination possible and write down which doors I got through successfully. That was the most frustrating one for me because it really was just random luck and it took forever. (Also, just, whhhhyyyyy did we have to go through and do all the puzzles again after the rune puzzle?? That was just way too much.)

Also, I agree with a few other posts I've seen about the story itself... It's still rather unclear exactly what happened? That Lich thing stole souls, which somehow caused everyone to disappear (?? because the temple/cave/whatever was near deserted and the characters wondered where everyone went), and there might have been a laser beam for some reason? The story seems very fragmented, I got to the end of the game feeling like I'm still missing a lot of explanation. 

Anyways. Sorry for the long post. Back to hunting the AP. 

The game won't run for me.  I can see parts of it, but mostly it's a black screen. 

I got all the new treats this morning. Now for the race to see if I can get all the 2010 treats, the only year I missed because I hadn't joined DC yet. According to the wiki there were 94 of them that year. So far I have...7 XD

29 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

The puzzles, while frustrating and not fun for me, were mostly okay... Except that door one. It was not obvious at *all* how to figure that one out, and even reading this entire thread *and* the wiki I still have no idea how the tile symbols were supposed to help, I literally just had to try every single door combination possible and write down which doors I got through successfully. That was the most frustrating one for me because it really was just random luck and it took forever. (Also, just, whhhhyyyyy did we have to go through and do all the puzzles again after the rune puzzle?? That was just way too much.)

Well, I thought the door puzzle was very clever and not too hard to figure out. After the clue that the architecture of the place mattered, I first tried the number of columns next to each door. When that didn't work, I had another look around and discovered the tiles.

You see, minds are not alike - what is fun and easy for some people is hard and frustrating for others. There have been several event puzzles/games that I didn't much care about, but I always thought it was fair enough that other people enjoyed them, even if I didn't. It's good to have a lot of variety.

Meanwhile, when I saw the carving on the wall of the Desipis puzzle that said something about being strong-willed i was like "Alright, brute-force it is, let's go babey." 😂 

It's now the second day of the event and unfortunately I'm still unable to get out of the sewers (see attached screenshot). :( There is nowhere for me to go but left, but my character freezes up once he goes left and then there's nothing more that can be done with him.

sewerfreeze.png

Hard refresh ?

Change browser ?

16 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Meanwhile, when I saw the carving on the wall of the Desipis puzzle that said something about being strong-willed i was like "Alright, brute-force it is, let's go babey." 😂 

So did I. Did me NO good at all !

The first door puzzle I brute force my way through it and then the second one I wrote down the doors(I also finally notice the runes in the first room fit the doors that work so it when fast because my last three doors was mid r. XD), although for both I still actually remember which door works so it wasn't so horrible. Just somewhat tedious lol

39 minutes ago, walkinslow said:

Well, I thought the door puzzle was very clever and not too hard to figure out. After the clue that the architecture of the place mattered, I first tried the number of columns next to each door. When that didn't work, I had another look around and discovered the tiles.

You see, minds are not alike - what is fun and easy for some people is hard and frustrating for others. There have been several event puzzles/games that I didn't much care about, but I always thought it was fair enough that other people enjoyed them, even if I didn't. It's good to have a lot of variety.

If you don't mind, could you explain just how the tiles related to the doors? I tried so hard to find some sort of connection but it just didn't click for me, I *think* I understand from the wiki that each 'type' of tile represents a specific door and the order of the tiles is the order you go through the doors, but how do you figure out what tile represents what door?

2 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

If you don't mind, could you explain just how the tiles related to the doors? I tried so hard to find some sort of connection but it just didn't click for me, I *think* I understand from the wiki that each 'type' of tile represents a specific door and the order of the tiles is the order you go through the doors, but how do you figure out what tile represents what door?

Spoiler

There are tiles in front of the first two doors that give you a starting point, and the meaning of the other two can be discovered through testing.

The diamond means door 1, the star means door 2, the filled diamond door 3 and the filled star door 4.

4 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I never noticed the tiles in the first set of doors and in the second it sorta matched what the wiki said if I shifted the door tiles all right one.

I saw no tiles at all in the door room of the second puzzle

Is there a way to figure out a strategy for the rune puzzle? I ended up looking at the solution on the wiki (then had to start again because obviously the solution doesn't work when you've already tried it). But I wish I could figure out how to do it. Like, a strategy to solve it from any starting point.

But... how? I normally do that kind of puzzle by figuring out what it must look like before the last step, then the one before that, but there are too many options here...

I guess it's like a Rubik's cube? Because I have no idea how to solve those, either!  :lol:  (And there must be a strategy, people can do it in 10 seconds...)