Sparrownado

Blame other person or say nothing prompt?

So the beautiful upside down Mints are growing up now, which means I'll never be able to trade for one, despite all the trading offers and hunting I did.

I'm very sad not to own one of these beauties. But what makes it even more depressing, is that some people have MORE than one. sad.gif

Keep in mind: we still have no idea if they'll actually stay upside down or not.

Its not a new or altered sprite - its one teeny tiny snippet of code TJ could easily remove at any time. Since its not a real sprite change I still think its much more likely that they'll flip over and the flipping to right side up will be the real trick.

So my two produced a regular mint egg on the first try. I'll still hatch it though, just in case.

Still, that's only two breedings that I know of. The odds could just make them a bit of a rarity.

If the mints indeed stay permanent, one thing is that realistically there is no real perk to have them except having something extra to look at on scroll and the satisfaction of participating in event:

- They show as normal sprite on scroll view page, so I am assuming when you see others' scroll who have inverted mints, you won't know the difference unless you specifically knew they had one or checked every mint.

- They appear normal in lineages, so no real incentive on collecting their second gens, besides some mental satisfaction.

- They breed normal sprites, and as such will be out of the trading hype very quickly

Finally got to name mine. I'm kinda surprised it wasn't taken. She is now dubbed "Ceiling Mint is Watching You"

If the mints indeed stay permanent, one thing is that realistically there is no real perk to have them except having something extra to look at on scroll and the satisfaction of participating in event:

- They show as normal sprite on scroll view page, so I am assuming when you see others' scroll who have inverted mints, you won't know the difference unless you specifically knew they had one or checked every mint.

- They appear normal in lineages, so no real incentive on collecting their second gens, besides some mental satisfaction.

- They breed normal sprites, and as such will be out of the trading hype very quickly

They show as upside down on the dragon's view page. And many of us use the dragons view page (not lineage link) to view the dragon.

Finally got to name mine. I'm kinda surprised it wasn't taken. She is now dubbed "Ceiling Mint is Watching You"

Excellent biggrin.gif

They show as upside down on the dragon's view page. And many of us use the dragons view page (not lineage link) to view the dragon.

I think the point was that it is only there if you know to look for it. That may be valuable to some, but it is not earth-shattering, because there's nothing unusual about the offspring, unless you click though to the parent's view page.

I am happy to have one, but I don't think I would have been devastated to miss it. But maybe I'm not as much a completionist as some. To each his own.

I would ask that the people howling to the heavens about the utter unfairness of the event dial back their public trauma. The only possible "solution" to their problem is to take something cute away from somebody else, and I don't think that anybody really wants that. It is pretty inconceivable that there would be any other opportunity for this to happen. Maybe if we play nice, there could be a Dragon's Dilemma II next year, and everyone would have a second chance, maybe this time for an upside-down pebble or Bright-breasted Wyvern.

I find it sad tbh, how this event was organized sad.gif I do like the upside down Mints, they're really cute and I wouldn't like them to disappear from those who got them, but I think the whole thing was really unfair to begin with. Three different egg versions to obtain (unobtainable otherwise if we don't count the original cave biome, but not everyone was here for it!), one of them the most desirable, and a bunch of ppl didn't get anything at all let alone the upside down sprite. Plus some users ended up with more than one through trading or AP catching - not saying there's anything wrong with that bit at all, don't get me wrong, but it's just that in the end there are so many people who ended up with no event dragon at all as a result, which is a shame.

I don't like lottery kinds of events, where only a group of players get something cool with no competition involved, only sheer luck. It would have been much better if everyone could try more than once at least, to get something, no harm in that.

There's nothing wrong with expressing frustration about this by the way, I think. Ofc people who were lucky are happy about this April Fool's prank, but it's kinda logical that those who weren't are upset.

Anyway the Mints themselves I really like so yeah happy.gif Hope those who got them enjoy them, and those who didn't don't get too disappointed.

My right-side-up April Fool's dragon Mint Potts will grow up in about four hours, and her planned partner Upside Downey Jr will mature in a day. Woop.

I still think it would have been better to have them breed upside-downs, if only to give users who missed it a chance to get 2nd gens. Mint breeding rates aren't terrible enough for them to have their 2nd gens be overly valuable.

Oh well. If anyone wants them, i'll be breeding my pair weekly to throw in departures.

Edited by Robot Chimera

I got one from a friend - am on the hold for another one to pair the first with.

I really hoped they'd breed upside down offspring - to gift and to AP them for those who didn't get a CB one...

Yay, I got an upsidedown female biggrin.gif

So now I have Downside Up and Up Sidedown! Even if they flip back over like I expect, its cute and I'm happy to have a special pair.

I highly doubt they'll flip right-side up. This seems like a permanent thing, not a temporary one.

I strongly disagree.

Upsidedown Mints - eggs, hatchlings, and adults - do not have altered sprites. If you save the sprite its the normal one, there's nothing new about it. The only different is a very small section of code that flips the image upsidedown. The code is: style="transform: scaleY(-1)". You can see it yourself if you go to an upsidedown Mint's page, right click the sprite, and click on Inspect Element.

They might stay, sure, but the fact that they didn't get separate sprites that show correctly everywhere makes me doubt they will. It would be nice if they stayed flipped, since its cute, but its such an easy thing to undo I really think that's the real trick. The tiny snippet of coding feels very temporary to me since its so basic and incomplete.

Edited by shortaxel

Ayyyyyyy!!!! Upside down mints confirmed!

Now I gotta think of a partner for my mint.

And start chucking babies into the AP.

I'm glad they stayed flipped, and I'm also glad it's a subtle enough change that it can still only be seen in one place. Congrats to those who have theirs.

I think it's most likely to be permanent. If it was temporary, I think we'd know by now.

heh, you know what would actually be interesting?

When the upside-down mints would only produce right-side-up mints when bred... and vice versa. x'D

Edited by miyuuma

Thanks to my paranoia, I stunned my mint just in case it was going to grow up normal so I can see the flippy hatchies for longer. And now I have 1 day extra left from now for them to grow up. rolleyes.gif I can be over calculating at times. But to be fair, it did help me win because I assumed that doing "anything good" possibly can't be a good idea on April fool as it won't be "prank", so I chose lying purely for that reason. tongue.gif

I didn't think they'd stay upside down. But now that they've grown up this way I think they'll stay. But yeah, I doubt we'll get any upside down offspring (though that would be a fun way to continue the joke, and also allow others to acquire their own flipped mints)

Well, there's still the possibility that they'll turn right side up once all the April fools babies have grown up.

Just thinking it'd be a shame if they had reversed before some of us even had a chance to see our own as upside down adults.

Edit: Not counting frozen hatchlings, so in other words, two weeks after release.

Edited by Ripan

I honestly don't see any reason why they'd turn normal other than "hah April Fools guys" but isn't it a bit late for that now? You can only see they're upside down if you go to the view (or actions) page, which means that even if we build lineages around this you'd still have to go and manually check the first gen to know that the others are offsprings of April Fools mints. It's not like a SA or a prize dragon which is instantly recognisable from lineage view. I think this makes the mints more of a "trophy" than anything, specially since they don't produce any different offspring.

They still say cave, which is pretty special and means they can influence offspring's outcomes for coppers (and apparently xeno?).

Anyway, all of my mints' babies went to the departure thread. A couple might still be there for people who want them.

Edited by Jazeki