Sparrownado

Blame other person or say nothing prompt?

Like nothing against the admins, I think they're great.

But I think this April Fools joke was in poor taste.

I saw no announcement for the event and that is why I missed out.

I'd been really hoping for an event this year too

Badges would have been nice. I don't understand the utter "secrecy" surrounding this event. Not only did people miss out from being eaten, but some people missed the event entirely because they didn't hunt biomes the day of and had no idea an event was going on as there was no announcement.

Well, it was an April Fools prank. Announcing it would ruin the surprise, and being transparent about it goes against the tradition of perpetuating a hoax that is associated with April Fools.

Well, it was an April Fools prank. Announcing it would ruin the surprise, and being transparent about it goes against the tradition of perpetuating a hoax that is associated with April Fools.

There is no surprise to be had if one doesn't happen to visit the biomes though. On April Fool's I checked the forum, DC's main page and my scroll, didn't notice any hints to some kind of event, and assumed there would be none. I normally don't hunt in the cave and only checked there completely coincidentally.

Dino cave was announced. And announcing that you only get one try is not the same as going against perpetuating a hoax. Like when you tell someone to stick their hand in something to win/not win a prize. They still don't know what the prize is or is not. They just know there's one try.

I didn't mind the joke or that other people got a prank dragon to keep, I just wish I'd have had more than one shot at it xd.png

The worst and the most tasteless "event" everrrrr!!!! Like seriously, what kinda event leaves 70% of the community with a bad taste in their mouth? Events are supposed to be positive things, leaving most people happy about them, bringing ppl together, and instead this event was made to purposely divide members? to create tension, and bad mojo in the already small community? I'm speechless, it's not about having or not having the mints at this point, it's just about the principle of it, the most unfair event one could think of, and for the love of god I have no idea why it was created in such manner.... So lame, like really, wow

Dino cave was announced. And announcing that you only get one try is not the same as going against perpetuating a hoax. Like when you tell someone to stick their hand in something to win/not win a prize. They still don't know what the prize is or is not. They just know there's one try.

Dino Cave AND the Celestial Dragons were announced.

Looking back at previous April Fools Day, TJ HAS announced previous April Fools News, some of them being actual jokes and some of them being actual news.

Dino Cave AND the Celestial Dragons were announced.

Looking back at previous April Fools Day, TJ HAS announced previous April Fools News, some of them being actual jokes and some of them being actual news.

I did have celestials initially in my reply, but I edited it back out to focus on what turned out to only be an event. But yes, TJ usually announces things.

Edited by Jazeki

I did have celestials initially in my reply, but I edited it back out to focus on what turned out to only be an event. But yes, TJ usually announces things.

It kind of surprised me that he didn't have anything on this event blink.gif

On a different note, I named a cave mint pair Arthur Turvy and Topsy Tartlet. I'm shocked, no Mary Poppins fans?

On a different note, I named a cave mint pair Arthur Turvy and Topsy Tartlet. I'm shocked, no Mary Poppins fans?

STEP IN TIME! STEP IN TIME! WE STEP IN TIME!

The announcement for Dino Cave was part of the joke, though. And Celestials were an actual release.

But I was talking in general about April Fool's. Websites don't give notice, like "Hey, we're going to pull a prank on April 1st!" They just do it.

Was it last year, or two years ago that we got the eggs that wouldn't come out of their eggs? That was a good one happy.gif

I checked the forum April 1st to see if there was anything going on, and found this thread - that's how I knew about it. Yeah it's not titled April Fool's but it was an active thread so naturally I checked it.

The announcement for Dino Cave was part of the joke, though. And Celestials were an actual release.

But I was talking in general about April Fool's. Websites don't give notice, like "Hey, we're going to pull a prank on April 1st!" They just do it.

Was it last year, or two years ago that we got the eggs that wouldn't come out of their eggs? That was a good one happy.gif

I checked the forum April 1st to see if there was anything going on, and found this thread - that's how I knew about it. Yeah it's not titled April Fool's but it was an active thread so naturally I checked it.

I'm aware, but jokes don't usually involve giving things away to some users and not all. Chicken Smoothie took away all the color on the site and its pets, but everything eventually reverted back to normal (and users all got a free badge.) DeviantArt did the pear thing. Participants who submitted art got a pear badge. People didn't lose out on anything unless they chose not to participate/didn't get on the site.

As Jazeki said, I don't think people expected an announcement with all the details, just something to actually clue people in on the fact that there was an event in the first place. You found out about it through this thread, but there are lots of people who don't visit the forums, or who might just not go into site discussion specifically. I saw posts in this thread from people who missed out on their chance.

An announcement can be a prank in an of itself; TJ has made both real and fake announcements on April Fool's. So simply posting about it doesn't really give us any more information on if it's permanent or not, just alerts people to the event, and it would probably be important to hint that there would only be one chance per person.

My guess is that this event was for the people who run events more than for the users. If it was for the users, there would have been the usual niceties like an event notice on our scrolls, badges for at least trying the game, and notice that you only were able to play once, which is unlike most cave games. Plus, there'd be some behind the scenes people around to tease us a bit in the thread.

So, someone is enjoying watching us twist in the wind over mints, i.e. make April Fools of ourselves. Good one!

There has NEVER been an announcement of any kind about April Fool's except Dino Cave - and that ANNOUNCEMENT was part of the foolery.. If there were, it would take all the fooling out of it.

Edited by fuzzbucket

There has NEVER been an announcement of any kind about April Fool's. If there were, it would take all the fooling out of it.

Fuzz. I quoted the actual announcement for dino cave, which was a prank.

Fuzz. I quoted the actual announcement for dino cave, which was a prank.

I edited already !

I just think it's logical to expect something to happen on DC for April 1st, given the history and the day itself, and if players really care about it, why wouldn't they go to the effort of checking around the forum to find out? Or ask in Help, or PM a friend, or whatever.

Not to mention that an announcement would've ruined part of the joke anyway...

"Today you may get caught while trying to steal an egg"?

I just think it's logical to expect something to happen on DC for April 1st, given the history and the day itself, and if players really care about it, why wouldn't they go to the effort of checking around the forum to find out? Or ask in Help, or PM a friend, or whatever.

That's a little unrealistic to expect people to search for an event. I'm currently PMing a user who checked for an announcement, checked the main site, and then assumed there was no event because they didn't go in the biomes. Another user asked specifically in this thread where the event was because they didn't expect it to be biome-specific.

Edit: TJ's specialty is being vague. I'm sure he would have been able to find the right thing to say.

Edited by Jazeki

There has NEVER been an announcement of any kind about April Fool's except Dino Cave - and that ANNOUNCEMENT was part of the foolery.. If there were, it would take all the fooling out of it.

Don't forget the one with too many eggs.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree there, TJ can be quite vague as we all know. A simple news post with "there seems to be unusual activity in the biomes; make your decisions wisely, you may not have a second chance" wouldn't take anything out of the event in my opinion.

People who are unhappy because it feels like they were penalized for doing the "right" thing (cooperating)-- if it helps any, you still would have gotten just as eaten if you had chosen to blame/defect. Being eaten happened 50% of the time regardless of whether you blamed the NPC or not.

An event badge for everyone who took part, eaten or otherwise, would have been a really nice idea. If it's not too terribly inconvenient, I think it would still be a nice thing to implement after the fact. The little jester's cap from earlier in this thread would be perfectly suitable IMHO.

I disagree, I think it's totally reasonable to expect people to make a minimal effort to find out about an event. If it crossed their minds to wonder what was going on with DC on April 1st, the information was here and easily found. Some asked in Tiny Little Questions and were directed to this thread. And for those who never visit the forums (mentioned above) in that case an announcement wouldn't have helped, would it?

Edited by Laura-Borealis

I actually just went to catch some eggs in biomes on april first and the event just popped out, and I kinda freaked out because the event said something like "you have been caught" and I was like what have I done xd.png // Edit, I think that "surprise" might have been part of the joke, lol

I don't really wanna defend either side of the discussion since I think arguing about this is kinda late already. wink.gif

Edited by Bamboomonkey

I disagree, I think it's totally reasonable to expect people to make a minimal effort to find out about an event. If it crossed their minds to wonder what was going on with DC on April 1st, the information was here and easily found. Some asked in Tiny Little Questions and we're directed to this thread. And for those who never visit the forums (mentioned above) in that case an announcement wouldn't have helped, would it?

It would, news posts appear in the cave as well.