TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

If they absolutely won't ever come back no matter what, I think there should be a poll, and competition for new sprites.

The now-spriter is obviously uncomfortable with even the copyright. This would be better in that regard, at least. They might even be able to submit polished sprites that they would be happy to take credit for. No rushed sprites, let the user base vote on the final one, and implement that in a month or so as the permanent sprite.

I think transparency at this point would be best. Not about the details of the situation I mean, but allowing input and some measure of control would be a very exciting, and I think appealing, option to an otherwise disappointing situation. I think people would actually find it really fun, honestly, which would be a great way to offset the stress that some people are feeling.

I'm gonna let my two grow, cause anything could still happen and I might want to breed these purple problems at some point xd.png

If the new set were released first, it would not be the same as them being a replacement. The first sprites have a very different aesthetic than the new ones have, and it's reasonable to be upset about having that changed.

I do not feel like the new set is up to snuff currently, but if they were the first released in a mor polished version, while I would still think they look like knock-off Spyro and would not care for them, I would not be as upset.

@shokomon stop

This is unhelpful. Shokomon is trying to make sure everyone sees what's happened and has all the information to form their opinion, since the thread is moving so fast and new people keep coming to look.

Shokomon, don't stop! You're doing good work!

I don't hate the S1 sprite, I just dislike it. And though I'm battling Insomnia, I've never asked for, demanded, or expected an answer on the Why's of the change. I'm reading the drama because its, Yano, drama.

I prefer the originals, but I certainly can think of many reasons why it might possibly have been pulled (all entirely speculation) so... I'm keeping my set of V babies, because completion addict, and I kind of like the adults, and also holding out for updates o them.

would people really be wanting to abandon their eggs/hatchlings if the new ones were released first?

I like the first ones but I don't think the new ones are bad. and good luck to the people who are desperately wanting an explanation because I can't think of a time the general userbase has actually gotten one

The new ones don't look like they would've been released independently at all.

Maybe with a bit more polish, but... they probably won't get to a state where we'd like them to be before the event is over. I'd rather have that space cleared up for other things than hatchlings that might not even be tweaked.

Like, it's not childish to only keep what sprites you like? People abandon hatchlings and eggs all the time.

If it wasn't a holiday dragon no one would be batting an eye at them being released.

Killing is different, because that means people won't get them at all, but... at least if people who don't like them abandon them, people who do like them but missed them will get them?

It's a win-win for everyone. I, and others, don't need to keep dragons we don't like. People who missed the event and love them - as many do - get them.

No need to be snarky or insulting, everyone (not specifically at you, though!! other people in the thread as well)

I do not feel like the new set is up to snuff currently, but if they were the first released in a mor polished version, while I would still think they look like knock-off Spyro and would not care for them, I would not be as upset.

I totally agree, and no offense to the new spriter as they were probably rushed, that the new sprites need some polishing/fixes.

I think the wings are gorgeous, I prefer them to the old sprite, but I think the body could use some defining esp. the horns.

I think it would be nice if we could get any indication if these new sprites are 100% set in stone or if there will be any small changes made to them.

That might help out with people emotionally killing/abandoning their eggs?

This is unhelpful. Shokomon is trying to make sure everyone sees what's happened and has all the information to form their opinion, since the thread is moving so fast and new people keep coming to look.

Shokomon, don't stop! You're doing good work!

Agreed smile.gif

This is the exact reason why the frills got pulled all those years ago is because we users were absolutely terrible to the spriter.

ohmy.gif Really? That's before my time, so I wouldn't know. I thought they were pulled to limit the supply. You know, to make them rare and valuable.

I think the updated ones are beautiful. I love those colors and how saturdated they are. I missed the release, so I'll happily take any from people who no longer want them.

I actually think the new sprites look okay, especially the adults. Caught me off-guard when I checked my scroll and the hatchies were different, but I can get used to it.

If anyone does decide to abandon their hatchlings, there was someone who missed the event a few pages back who might appreciate them. Or people who missed the eggs in general.

I'm one of the peoples who missed the eggs completely. To read that some users do want to freeze or kill their eggs/hachis makes me really sad, because I don't have even one sad.gif

People should take a day to have a think before they go freezing/killing/abandoning their CB holidays.

It's a CB holiday. Be reasonable. See sense.

This. Absolutely this. CB Holidays are literally once in a lifetime dragons. I might dislike the new stage ones and it's not the same dragon we caught, but when it comes down to it this is a CB Holiday, and the first non-pink/white/red Valentine's ever! The adults have problems in both forms, and if the change had been from these new ones to the old ones, we still would have been upset.

We can dislike it all we want, but the reason we're upset isn't the change itself, it's how the change was handled. Like with the Prize Raffles - I myself was furious, as I joined DC very shortly after the last raffle in 2015 and was looking forward to my first in 2016, and it never happened. I'm not angry that it didn't happen though, I'm angry that we were not warned, were given no explanation, and still have not been communicated with about it. It's not the change. The old dragons were pretty, and the new dragons are also pretty, especially for such a rushed job. It's how the change was implemented.

I think the best resolution is the new spriter have some more time to add some polishing and address critiques of the new sprite. I do like it, but it does feel a little rushed and thrown together. I think if the spriter took a little time to revamp them, they will be beautiful. Obviously TJ wanted to get up the new ones fast, but now that the old ones are gone, there's no time crunch, so why keep a time-crunch sprite?

ohmy.gif Really? That's before my time, so I wouldn't know. I thought they were pulled to limit the supply. You know, to make them rare and valuable.

Frills were in fact removed at the artist's request, and only recently came back. Same for Arias.

But this isn't the same thing. Someone on another site was saying someone else accused the sprites of having been traced apparently. idk the whole truth of course, I'm still piecing it together myself.

Yeah people were nasty, critiqued and whined about them for so long (especially since they were super common) that the spriter pulled them. Luckily said spriter years later forgave us and updated the sprites and we all get to enjoy them again smile.gif

Also to clarify, I don't have a problem with abandoning eggs/hatchlings if they don't like them, I just have an issue with people killing a holiday dragon out of spite because they don't like it when there are people who DO like them and weren't able to get one because of various circumstances.

Have a little generosity please is all I'm asking.

*Unhelps some more by thinking about how shokomon is literally spamming*

I think Shokomon is doing a wonderful job smile.gif keep it up Shokomon!

Yeah, now when I go afk or sleep, I won't have to dig through pages and pages to find out info straight from the sources. So, thank you again

And everyone new coming in gets instant updated instead of the same questions asked and possible misinformation given

Edited by Nightwalkerkey

seconding this. Shokomon is the reason I got to see all the sprites side by side, not to mention a comment I missed.

So Shokomon, thank you c:

Abandoning the dragons if you hate the new spites is much better than freezing them or killing them.

Because while you might hate the new dragons, there are people who would be happy have those dragons.

121 pages makes me thankful Sokomon is posting.

Edit: 121 pages on a cell phone. I do not own a computer or laptop; I have a phone and a kindle I won. Hard to read through so many pages this way.

Edited by PaintdGryphon

121 pages makes me thankful Sokomon is posting.

Edit: 121 pages on a cell phone. I do not own a computer or laptop; I have a phone and a kindle I won. Hard to read through so many pages this way.

I agree with you there. Shokomon is doing a fantastic job <3