TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

Huh. Unfortunately, it seems that if I love a spider, then I cannot stay with my date. Too bad. I was hoping for some kind of a message telling me that we got married but ultimately ended up with a divorce due to my attraction to spiders.

Keep the divorce rate down, just skip straight to the spider.

What happens if you ask the Beaver King on a date? I think I did it, but I don't remember what happened.

Huh. Unfortunately, it seems that if I love a spider, then I cannot stay with my date. Too bad. I was hoping for some kind of a message telling me that we got married but ultimately ended up with a divorce due to my attraction to spiders.

I noticed this. I've tried everything I can think of but apparently that spider cast some sort of spell on me. xd.png

My girls are not getting names because their codes are perfect words already, and I already have fantastic mates chosen for them from my other word-code dragons. smile.gif

I noticed this. I've tried everything I can think of but apparently that spider cast some sort of spell on me. xd.png

Yeah, it probably learned that spell in its book Spellcasting for Dunces. wink.gif

Edited by TheVoid

Mine are "Violet Spyrol"get it

And since I'm bad at names, the other is "Violet Goldleaf"

Because violet. I dunno.

As for the sprite issue, I honestly like the new ones better. Maybe because I hadn't seen the old ones at the time. But something is off about the old ones to me. They look like a reference to something familiar but I can't place it.

I think the new ones are just fine and not a "knock-off". That's a pretty rude thing to say. I've had to rush to finish projects to meet a deadline and it's not fun at all. It's awful. And then thinking their work is crap, that's just not fair to the spriter. They did what they could and I think it looks like it fits in more with the rest of the site than the old ones.

~View links removed, please remember to use /lineage/ in your links instead of /view/ for growing dragons.~

Edited by purpledragonclaw

Yeah, it probably learned that spell in its book Spellcasting for Dunces. wink.gif

Indeed. xd.png It can't accept that it would never work between us!

The whole event has been most unfortunate.

This sums up my thoughts, though I really enjoyed the game (well, maybe except the brambles part). BTW, many thanks to people who posted spoilers and commands - I don't think I would be able to end the game and find all those funny references without your help!

As for the new dragons, I really liked the original hatchlings and I still can't get used to the new s1, which looks for me like a scared purple goatling... but adults are really nice. Hope to see many pretty lineages with them.

I feel sorry for the spriters - both for spriters of the original version and for the anonymous spriter who had to redo everything last minute. From what I know, Tazzay posted on another forum that sprites were replaced because according to someone, legs of the original version of the dragon looked like on some photo of the horse from the internet - or something like that. Don't know what to think about that, though.

- With the sketch

Sometimes, there is a pose reference. Anatomy is quite hard, and from what I've seen many artists like to see how things are put together in the real world. Also for the non-artists among us, having a reference to say "something like that!" is very helpful. However, on another site with a huge art community, I've seen cases of tracing, where the reference picture was traced in part or in its entirety. This makes the outline of the new piece identical to the reference. That is a big league copy-write infringement,and is usually pretty easy to spot by overlaying the two. Even having a sketch too close to a reference can be a major problem.

- With the color scheme / markings

I've seen this one in Dragon Requests a time or two, where a reference piece or creature was copied too closely, and the end result looks just like the original.... even though all the artwork is completely new. This can also get into copy-write infringement territory, which can cause major issues. Especially if the concept is similar to the original work.

Aaaaah, these are the only two things I really had in mind (considering that the name and description were left basically the same after the change). I'm no artist, so I'll have to rely on the opinions of people who are experienced in this sort of thing:

When it comes to the sketch, surely it's not enough that the poses from the removed sprite are the same as some other picture unless it's a very famous bit of art or it was already known/admitted that a particular reference was used during the sprites' creation? You could probably do a simple reverse Google search on any remotely accurately proportioned drawing of an animal/person/building/etc (even a photograph), and find a dozen others where the composition is 'identical', just by chance. There's just too much existing media for anything with remotely normal constituent parts not to match up with several other pre-existing things, even if they're completely unrelated.

As to the pattern/color scheme/markings, it seems like it's a similar problem unless there's some source that has several things in common with the removed sprites. Just when the Trihorns were released, a store near me that sells lots of cheap, filmy scarves started selling one with a pattern basically identical to the female Trihorn's markings. That doesn't mean they have anything to do with each other.

--------------------------------------------------

As others mentioned, I can't imagine this was done unless it was absolutely unavoidable (unfortunately I can imagine several scenarios where it was unavoidable due to drama/internal conflict rather than due to actual facts). If plagiarism was the problem, I find myself in the strange position of hoping that the issue was genuinely so blatant that it couldn't be put down to coincidence. Unfortunately, I doubt most of us will ever get the chance to judge for ourselves. sad.gif

From what I know, Tazzay posted on another forum that sprites were replaced because according to someone, legs of the original version of the dragon looked like on some photo of the horse from the internet - or something like that. Don't know what to think about that, though.

Oh my, you posted while I was rambling away (as usual rolleyes.gif I'm not sure I can do 'brief'). I sincerely hope that the 'plagiarism' was not something so incredibly generic...

Edited by Sycamore

My girls are not getting names because their codes are perfect words already, and I already have fantastic mates chosen for them from my other word-code dragons. smile.gif

I saw that in the other thread! Congratulations - great codes, great pairings!

As for the sprite issue, I honestly like the new ones better. Maybe because I hadn't seen the old ones at the time. But something is off about the old ones to me. They look like a reference to something familiar but I can't place it.

I did notice that their pose and appearance were quite similar to that of the female Hellhorse dragon:

user posted image and ~Removed~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I feel sorry for the spriters - both for spriters of the original version and for the anonymous spriter who had to redo everything last minute. From what I know, Tazzay posted on another forum that sprites were replaced because according to someone, legs of the original version of the dragon looked like on some photo of the horse from the internet - or something like that. Don't know what to think about that, though.

For real? If it was, did Taazay and EEF know? Because if they didn't, then that's kind of a poor excuse to change them IMO. I understand plagerism but how can it truly be that if they really didn't know about it?

Oh my... that is so adorable:

Spider er spoiler:

> ATTACK SPIDER

You brandish your sword at the spider threateningly.

SPIDER: Why do you have be so insensitive? Can't you see I'm sad?

The spider skitters off and disappears into a surprisingly small crack in the wall.

> TALK SPIDER

There is no spider to talk to.

> ATTACK SPIDER

What spider? Did you know that, as you sit here reading this text, a spider is probably no more than a few yards away?

> GIVE BOX TO SPIDER

You give the spider one of the old Valentine's cards.

SPIDER: Really? For me?

It looks a lot more cheerful now. You politely ask if the tunnel behind it leads towards the exit.

SPIDER: Oh yes, it's just through there. Please, take this.

The SPIDER hands you a Valentine's card of its own and steps away from the tunnel. The card reads, "I think WE'B be grEIGHT together!"

You turn the card over. It appears to have been written on the back of a page torn out of a book called Spellcasting for Dunces (Beginner's Spells for Everyday Use!) Your page has instructions for using the Spell of Resilience:

"Enter the text 'Cast Spell of Resilience on' followed by the item of your choice. This will make the item unbreakably hard for the next several minutes.

For example, Debbie needs to enchant the castle doors to withstand the invading king's battering ram. Debbie types 'Cast Spell of Resilience on doors' and the doors will be impossible to break down until the spell wears off. Good job, Debbie!"

Soooo awww! wub.gif Need another ending so i will not ask, but i want to... sad.gif

I named mine Call Me Pearl Bailey and Pearl Barley.

I look forward to breeding them and seeing what lineages I like best.

For real? If it was, did Taazay and EEF know? Because if they didn't, then that's kind of a poor excuse to change them IMO. I understand plagerism but how can it truly be that if they really didn't know about it?

This was posted on Pokefarm forum (here). I hope it's OK to copy the text here:

(Tazzay 18/Feb/2017 05:28:36)

...now I have my dragon get its sprites replaced because the legs looked like a photo of a bloody horse on the internet. Course now the admin isn't responding to my request to remove the dragon entirely. Thank you to whoever did this and smeared both my name and Sci's in the dirt. I hope you're happy.

Also, EEF's post is here, just found out that one.

Wow! Just...Wow!

I do hope that's not the real reason. It's so ridiculously generic - almost every rearing horse looks like that!

I do hope that's not the real reason. It's so ridiculously generic - almost every rearing horse looks like that!

Exactly! It's like drawing an ant dragon and saying that the antlers look exactly like every other ant drawings out there! I am sort of shocked.

Hrm. Just when you think it's over something new crops up. I think I'll just sit in the corner with my little DVD-clutching hatchies for now thumbs_up.png

...and here I almost didn't include this part because I thought it might be too paranoid... dry.gif

(unfortunately I can imagine several scenarios where it was unavoidable due to drama/internal conflict rather than due to actual facts)
It even sounds like EEF and Tazzay were going out of their way trying to appease whoever was complaining about this stuff. If the root of all this is actually worry about similarities with other art, it would have been infinitely better to just let them slightly rework the sprites and announce on the forums that, out of an abundance of caution, there might be a slight delay until the sprites were available.

...and here I almost didn't include this part because I thought it might be too paranoid... dry.gif

It even sounds like EEF and Tazzay were going out of their way trying to appease whoever was complaining about this stuff. If the root of all this is actually worry about similarities with other art, it would have been infinitely better to just let them slightly rework the sprites and announce on the forums that, out of an abundance of caution, there might be a slight delay until the sprites were available.

Seriously. It sounds like the legs were the only problem (although as has been pointed out, they're very generic horse pose like the hellhorse...), why not just keep the old ones up until new legs are done? D.C. has used Pokémon sprites on occasion as jokes with no trouble, I doubt a random soon to be replaced set of horse legs would cause concern.

Obviously we only have their word on the matter right now but erghhh.

(And again I really love the new sprites, I just feel this whole thing was a nightmare. Wish the new ones could've appeared as their own thing someday.)

And a lot of us preferred the old sprites but now we're stuck with these new dragons. It's a win for everyone who actually likes them, but it's huge loss to Tazzay and EEF because they don't get their spriter's alt and they get their names smeared in the dirt. And it's a loss to everyone who preferred the original all because of one person.

Thats... honestly really sad if that's true. I can understand them being that upset. Mad props to the substitute spriter though. There's no way in heck I could have done something that good in 48 hours. blink.gif

Honestly I like the old ones more, but that's still really good work for something that was rushed in just a couple days. Sure it could use a couple edits but... still it's not bad at all.