TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

Yeah people were nasty, critiqued and whined about them for so long (especially since they were super common) that the spriter pulled them. Luckily said spriter years later forgave us and updated the sprites and we all get to enjoy them again smile.gif

Also to clarify, I don't have a problem with abandoning eggs/hatchlings if they don't like them, I just have an issue with people killing a holiday dragon out of spite because they don't like it when there are people who DO like them and weren't able to get one because of various circumstances.

Have a little generosity please is all I'm asking.

^^^

This.

Isn't Valentine's supposed to be about celebrating love here, people? Let's show a little more of that, and a little less negativity, whaddaya say?

And thank god the Frills came back - I liked them, joined just in time to grab a couple as I started building my scroll, then they were gone & I was censorkip.gif . I joined the forum to find out what happened! Could not believe folks were being so petty over a game. Do please exercise better manners over this situation, or at least more patience than has been shown so far from the most outspoken of the negative-nancies, & allow the spriters & TJ the time they need to finish tweaking things. It's not even been two days. Give it at least two weeks. They're pixels. They ain't going anywhere.

Abandoning the dragons if you hate the new spites is much better than freezing them or killing them.

Because while you might hate the new dragons, there are people who would be happy have those dragons.

I second this so so much. I, for one, will never give up my CB Holidays for anything (I don't even understand freezing CB Holidays when you can freeze messy ones next year, but to each their own) - but to kill (and in this case, freeze) them just out of spite or revenge is so petty. If you hate them that much, give them to someone who will love them, nobody is forcing you to keep them.

~Closing due to the over whelming amount of reports, will reopen after we finish. ~

Edit to add: Just a thought, demanding a sprite that DC can not use does not help. Try to remember we fixed the problem as quickly as possible.

~Edit: This topic now open, if it becomes necessary it will be closed. ~

Edited by _Z_

I second this so so much. I, for one, will never give up my CB Holidays for anything (I don't even understand freezing CB Holidays when you can freeze messy ones next year, but to each their own) - but to kill (and in this case, freeze) them just out of spite or revenge is so petty. If you hate them that much, give them to someone who will love them, nobody is forcing you to keep them.

lol I feel bad for any holiday dragons that die this way, but in the end if this happens it will only make them more rare and collectable if there are fewer of them. I liked the elegance of the first sprites, but someone needs mad props for making such nice sprites in such a really short time to replace them after whatever issue happened. Thumbs up to that quick art.

I honestly never even noticed the change, LOL! I love my CB's and will never abandon, freeze, kill or set them free. CB's of any dragon are a special prize to me. And I honestly think every dragon ever made is beautiful.

I've had a couple of people PM me begging me to please give my dragons to someone else and not kill them, and it seriously irks me because in literally every single other facet of the site, it's agreed that once it's on your scroll it's yours to do with as you please, whether that's kill, freeze, bite, or breed until there's hundreds of your eggs clogging the AP.

I'd like that same courtesy extended to me and MY decision for MY dragons, thanks.

It's not as if 2nd-gen or even CB holidays have any value unless they're Hollies anyway.

Edited by Derranged

Oh goodie, my '17 vals are starting to gender!

Mine are 18 hours from growing up. Lately I've been breeding holiday dragons with whatever and not making plans. People are already posting plans and these might be the first ones I plan for in a long time.

I've had a couple of people PM me begging me to please give my dragons to someone else and not kill them, and it seriously irks me because in literally every single other facet of the site, it's agreed that once it's on your scroll it's yours to do with as you please, whether that's kill, freeze, bite, or breed until there's hundreds of your eggs clogging the AP.

I'd like that same courtesy extended to me and MY decision for MY dragons, thanks.

It's not as if 2nd-gen or even CB holidays have any value unless they're Hollies anyway.

I think it's just that some people missed out and people are PMing you hoping you will change your mind and give them to someone...but there's nothing like constant pestering to make you want to go with your original plan more. It's just like when Cheeze (sp?) zombified their CB holly and people got upset over that. It's yours to do with as you please but people will always be upset with people destroying things that others want and can't have.

EDIT because I forgot how quoting works on this site.

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

That may be true for you, but CB holidays have considerable value for lineages. I shall be trading to get 2nd gens from these to mate with things I breed from my CBs.

Yes it's your absolute right to kill them if you want to - but it can be nice to help others if you have something they want and you don't.

Admittedly the decision to lock up the particularly desirable name you have is on the spiteful side, but it is your call.

Alright, now that I'm done being upset about them (even though I am highly disappointed) here are my new thoughts:

The reason why I was so upset about the changes is because the original sprites when first released were bright, smooth, and highly adorable. I just adored the fluffiness of them and was very shocked to see it replaced with what we have now. I do hope it does get polished out in a few days and we're not stuck with this jagged mess.

I did read back to when it first went down and a bit beyond that reading either EEF or Taazay saying that they had been working on this since 2012(?) and just to have a five year art work in progress to be replaced by something that was made in an hour would making me mad as hell as well.

The only thing is Taazay is saying one thing and TJ is saying another. EEF hasn't said anything about the whole ordeal which makes me wonder if they did truly know about the new sprite TJ has requested.

I agree with everyone else who preferred the original sprites, if TJ was going to change it, it shouldn't have been released at all and something different should have taken its place. HOWEVER, I don't think TJ knew that he literally had to change the sprite until after the fact. Also, some one had made a comment way back when I was first started my mocking wyvern project that someone literally had redone one of the pictures and just put the colours and design over the dragon but the same pose, I had to replace it only to find out some one had mentioned it was a completely different dragon from the original.

So in all honesty, I don't think that this was art theft.

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

thumbs_up.png Do what you want as long as you don't break the Terms and Conditions or the rules in this forum!

Please be respectful people and Derranged please feel free to use your blade on your dragons. I stabbed dragons just for getting my perma-enraged Aegis and then i discovered that i enraged the other one and had to wait until the tombstones are gone. Then i stabbed anther dragon, without any hesitation. Because i don't liked that i think it was a hatchling. *shrugs*

So i saw pictures with the New Valentines (already forgotten the name again) and Purples and it still is a good idea for a lineage.

At the moment i am copying nearly everthing that i do in this adventure and will give that script to Bluesonic1.^^ I trie to inclued as many easter eggs as possible. ninja.gifcool.gif

Edited by Tigerkralle

@ Raptor: TJ posted that both spriters had responded to PMs from him, so...

And he didn't know he was going to have to pull the sprites - whatever came up to make them unusable happened AFTER they showed up on the pages here.

But can we please concentrate on what we have - I think they are gorgeous; my only problem is deciding which lineage to start first.

Have there been any new things in the game since the bridge was invented ? I ripped through today, and didn't notice anything, though I licked everything I could, and ate a few things I shouldn't have...

Edited by fuzzbucket

EDIT: Got some sort of error when trying to post (maybe due to the thread being locked/cleaned?), sorry if double post...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, so I had no idea all this drama happened. (I knew I was egg/scroll locked, so I didn't spend much time on DC since I picked up my Val'17 eggs).

First of all, condolences to the original artists, the sprites were great. I love it when the dragons are a bit of a departure from the usual poses/body-types. What makes me sadder than not getting to enjoy the original dragons, though, is that the new sprites are blatant redraws of the old ones, just with more generic designs and much less polish (not surprising given the apparent timeline for their creation). I trust a future update will pull them up to the cave's standards, but the fact that the design for this dragon was just taken from the original artists leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Like everyone else, I can only speculate about the cause of the change. The original artists seem to have been blindsided by it, so they obviously didn't request it. After reading through the last few pages of the post, I dismissed a lot of other possibilities, and there aren't many options left that make sense. My only guess for what could have caused the original sprites to be removed without the artists' input/knowledge is a case of plagiarism, but that doesn't really seem to add up in this case either. I would be surprised if similarities with a released DC design were the cause of the change (considering that the pose/style was pretty unusual for DC). On the other hand, I would also be surprised if the problem was with something external, because the pose is extremely common for anything remotely related to the Cervidae/Equidae families... No way do I believe that the dragon as a whole was straight up ripped off from somewhere else; that's just asking for trouble. It surely would have been caught well before the sprites were used for the holiday event.

Unfortunately, that leaves no options at all. I'm left in the dark like everyone else unless someone decides to come forward and enlighten us. sad.gif

But can we please concentrate on what we have - I think they are gorgeous; my only problem is deciding which lineage to start first.

I do prefer the old sprites in my opinion (mainly because I got attached to them), I'm only raising one of these girls up to adulthood just in case something happens. Maybe if we get a polished version of these new dragons, maybe, just maybe, these could grow on me.

While I may not be the biggest fan of the new sprites, I certainly don't hate them. (Still adore the design on the wing. So pretty!) I'm already trying to decide what I might want to breed them with next year, though it's entirely possible that I'll change my mind as more dragons are released. I breed my holiday dragons for a friend in order to help her fill her 2nd gen goals, so I know there will be some eggs floating through the AP next Valentine season for others to grab and, hopefully, enjoy.

On a different note: I know that I'm never going to remember how to spell the name of these girls... They'll probably end up being "The purple Valentine dragon." Not out of disrespect or anything. I just don't want to butcher the name by accident!

This. Absolutely this. CB Holidays are literally once in a lifetime dragons. I might dislike the new stage ones and it's not the same dragon we caught, but when it comes down to it this is a CB Holiday, and the first non-pink/white/red Valentine's ever! The adults have problems in both forms, and if the change had been from these new ones to the old ones, we still would have been upset.

We can dislike it all we want, but the reason we're upset isn't the change itself, it's how the change was handled. Like with the Prize Raffles - I myself was furious, as I joined DC very shortly after the last raffle in 2015 and was looking forward to my first in 2016, and it never happened. I'm not angry that it didn't happen though, I'm angry that we were not warned, were given no explanation, and still have not been communicated with about it. It's not the change. The old dragons were pretty, and the new dragons are also pretty, especially for such a rushed job. It's how the change was implemented.

Echoing this. I would have been upset regardless of which sprite replaced which. And I do agree with sentiments that perhaps it might have been better if there was a delay to give the new spriter time to revise or a whole different concept had been chosen entirely (as this seems like it was something that was a problem even before these reached maturity--as the PMs between TJ and spriter appear to have been going on for days, if not a week).

Still, I have renamed my ladies and will be letting them grow to adulthood. What's done is done. The thread will be locked and people will move on from the experience. I hope that the new adult gets smoothed out, but I also hope that there is a little more communication in the future. I.E. a post on the front page of the thread as well or a locked news post like we occasionally get for announcements as it is impossible for changes to quietly occur. I also hope that the artist agreement gets fleshed out in terms of concept creators.

I still think a thread should be opened and people encouraged to create their own sprites/new species* to compete for this Valentines event dragon release. :P Then let people vote on the result. The current dragons can be included, updated or otherwise.

1) The current spriter may not be comfortable with their sprites being permanent anyway, do to the controversy and drama, but that's just speculation, since we can't ask them personally. We do know that they are currently uncomfortable with taking credit. This would either make them feel official and accepted if their sprite was voted in, or it would remove the stress of having a "rushed" sprite with controversy surrounding it on site.

2) The old spriter(s?) do not like their concept staying when their art was denied. New "species" with similar color schemes or poses can be introduced instead. The Cermorvus dragon doesn't have to be the only purple and gold dragon out there, or the only dragon with pearls or antlers out there. It would be a kind gesture towards them to not have their "Cermorvus" concept taken and used without their credit.

3) It would be a great nod to the userbase to allow them control and be able to, for example, vote it a softer, fluffier, lighter Valentine dragon if they so preferred. More people would be satisfied with the end result than are now currently. It would feel less like a "cheat" (even though it wasn't one in the first place) since you're placing power in the hands of the people instead of taking something away and leaving them confused.

4) It would be fun and a more diplomatic ending imo to an event, which is a lot better than just ending it with a knock-off Cermorvus that a lot of people, rightly or wrongly, feel disappointed with. I am not commenting on the sprites -- what I mean, it's by definition knock-off, since it's just a copy of the original. Not that they are bad (I quite like them).

* So long as we keep the color scheme here, lol.

This probably won't happen, but hey, let me dream.

edit: I meant new concepts submitted willingly, perhaps with a requirement of "purple/gold/white". Emphasis on the willingly part.

Edited by Painter

Snip

While this seems like a good idea, there are other artists who have had to shelve concepts since this one was chosen. Perhaps they don't want theirs to be seen/voted on.

Wow I acually managed to miss this years v-day event due to work. sad.gif

Keep an eye on the AP - I've seen several Val'17 eggs today and they sit for a lil bit because most people already have their two.

Usually I have problems naming my new dragons, but not today...

Meet my new Vals: Good Old-fashioned DC Drama and Bruouhaha smile.gif

Addendum to the event credits! The village painting was done by Wookie and Process!

I actually prefer the new dragon, I love the style, the jaggedness looks amazing in my opinion. ninja.gif

I've been watching a bunch of Doctor Who recently, so meet my newest Holidays (and my first female only breed): There's A Crack In My Wall and DJ Bad Wolf.

Somebody said that the new adult looks like it's holding a CD not a pearl, and that was too funny to pass up