TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

And is there anything new to discover (like how to catch up with that horse smile.gif )?

I must admit that I haven't found any new options or even new easter eggs.

I've not found anything new either. I really wanna catch that horse but it's obviously more magical than I am. xd.png

If anyone reported anything new, I haven't seen it. Everything I ever seen is below. Check out the Easter egg section. See if you see anything new or missing.

My Updated guide also found here.

~Wall of text Removed, link is sufficient. ~

Edit: The Explanation for the Valentine Sprite Replacement is not included in the link. For an explanation on the sprite replacement, comparisons between sprites, and current updates, please go here.

Edited by Shokomon

If anyone reported anything new, I haven't seen it. Everything I ever seen is below. Check out the Easter egg section. See if you see anything new or missing.

My Updated guide also found here.

Thanks for reposting, Shokomon. I've not found anything not mentioned in your guide so far. smile.gif

Well that was certainly an interesting turn of events. I'm certainly not upset by the change. I don't have the time or energy to be upset about a situation like this. I enjoy the game, the collecting, and the fact that it's free and has been for years. I will always still thank TJ and all involved for their time and effort to maintaining the dragons, the events, and the game itself. I think that those who maintain the site, the forum, moderate, draw, etc. catch way too much crap for the work they do to make sure the game and forums run smoothly and as drama-free as possible.

So it's a shame to see such a heated exchange that the thread had to be closed temporarily during the release of dragons surrounding a holiday that's supposed to be about "love", not that I'm a big advocate of Valentine's Day. As for what happened to cause the change, no, it's none of our business, unless parties involved want to make it our business by shedding light on it. The lack of an explanation isn't what's causing more drama. It's the demands for one (not polite requests, but demands) and other back and forth between each other, and the users of DC, who are not involved whatsoever with this particular release jumping at each other in anger and being upset that causes more drama.

It has happened, it is done. Sure, I wouldn't mind knowing what happened, but I'm not going to ask, demand, or even speculate about it. I'm going to enjoy these new beauties and get back to working on my other goals in DC. To ALL involved, from TJ, to Taz, EEF and the anonymous spriter, thank you for putting time and effort into the release. I appreciate that this place still exists (and isn't it about to be 10 years in existence? I can only imagine the big party that's gonna take place in a couple months!) after so long of a time, that it is still free and enjoyable. Much appreciated, and good luck in resolving this situation if it hasn't been already. wub.gif

Shokomon maybe I am just too tired, but I didn't see ASK SPIDER ON DATE to trigger the optional ending where one needed to make 2 other decision for THE END If you have included it, my sincere apology.

I'm not going to lose sleep over the issue (losing enough of that over other stuff in the world, these days) but I've been kind of turning it over in my head. In general, I think I'm just really uncomfortable with the use of the concept, in this case. If the previous spriters are the concept creators, will they get alts of the redone sprites? Assuming they even want them.

It seems there was some trouble before release, though it doesn't seem to have been too serious - I can only speculate, of course - as immediate action wasn't taken. It can't be that the concept was plagiarized, because here it is? And if it was that serious, still, why keep the concept, why not just cut them out and lay out a harsher response? I know someone answered before that there might have been an even greater furor over a totally different dragon, but there's always going to be a furor anyway.

I don't know, I don't know anything about it really. It just sits uneasily.

A lot of my concerns regarding the sprite swap have been alleviated by posts following the original one made by TJ.

Now that I have seen the original sprite, I'm no longer bothered by 'what might have been' since, well, we know. I still prefer the original hatchlings and the original color scheme, but I do prefer the new adults overall.

TJ has said that the new artist explicitly requested to remain anonymous and that they were in fact a rush job; therefore, I'm no longer concerned by the lack of credit on the art page. Thank you to the new spriter- it could not have been easy to make new sprites on such short notice. Whether we get tweaks or not, that adult is stunning - more so considering that they were made in two days. I mean, holy cow.

TJ has also said that he was vague out of concern for those involved and that the spriters were indeed aware, at least to some extent, of what was going on. One of the spriters has posted a conflicting account and the other has said nothing at all; I think I'm inclined to trust TJ here, barring any other information coming out.

The only thing I'm really still concerned about is the fact that the same concept was tackled by a new artist- though, as TJ has said that he was in touch with EEF and Tazzay and, as we will probably never know what was discussed or to what extent, we can't really know what all went down in that regard before the new sprites were made.

As much as I'd love to know what happened that prompted all of this, I'm satisfied with knowing why everything was kept vague and what the original sprite looked like.

If nothing else, at least this year will be a memorable one.

Edit for spell fails.

Edited by Daypaw

Shokomon maybe I am just too tired, but I didn't see ASK SPIDER ON DATE to trigger the optional ending where one needed to make 2 other decision for THE END If you have included it, my sincere apology.

It's fine! You are just trying to help.

I put that command in the Spider section, where I say something along the lines of "If you like spiders so much, why don't you marry it?"

Go rest! Take care of yourself!

Edit: Adding quote so people know who I am talking too.

Edited by Shokomon

Usually I have problems naming my new dragons, but not today...

Meet my new Vals: Good Old-fashioned DC Drama and Bruouhaha smile.gif

*snickers*

Mine are just "a Cermorvus" and "a Fluffbutt."

Oh my. This really has blown up, hasn't it.

In my opinion, I don't mind the change and I won't pry into the reason for it. Though curiosity does encourage me to ask, I think it's better to just leave it to the people involved. I'm sure they wouldn't enjoy having almost every user on the website demanding to know why the change occurred.

Found a couple almost Easter eggs:

EXAMINE HORSE

You can no longer see the horse, nor follow it up the cliff. Maybe you didn't see it at all.

> EXAMINE CLIFF

A very steep cliff that no longer has a horse on it.

Edit: This is after you've already examined the cliff.

Edit 2: Found another thing :

After you've taken the crystal: A mana crystal. It's a shame anyone who can do magic leaves your town for the city.

Edit 3:

After you've taken the sword:

EXAMINE SWORD

A sword you took from a skeleton. You can't use it very well but they don't know that.

Also, dunno if this has been said yet, but you can "Give armor to spider" and it'll have the same effect as giving it the box.

Edited by legofrodo12

Whatever the cause, there was no good solution to this problem. Dragon Cave, as ANY other small site that uses art in any form, must be ever vigilant against copyright infringement. A case that is brought and NOT dropped could have extreme consequences for TJ and the site. And some of the entities out there (*cough* Disney *cough* mean very mean *cough*) get really vicious when their "intellectual property" is infringed upon... intentionally or not. If one of those goes after TJ.... TJ looses. At best, he pulls the sprite. At worst....

Its not a cheery thought, not at all. So as unhappy as a lot of people are, you need to think about the consequences to others (like TJ, who after all owns the site) before getting angry over it and demanding the original.... or blaming TJ. When its your neck on the line, you can do as you will. But its not: its TJ's, and I respect his decision to choose his own fate.

Cheers!

C4.

<snip> This. It would not have been done lightly.

My dragons are in S2 and they are cute. It's silly but after backlash they got yeasterday I decided to find them a really nice names. So...

/rN3eN ~Eggspam removed; you may share growing creatures for reasons other than to get clicks with their /lineage/ link by replacing /view/ with /lineage/ in the url~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

> ATTACK SPIDER WITH SWORD

What spider? Did you know that, as you sit here reading this text, a spider is probably no more than a few yards away?

> WELL, ATTACK THAT SPIDER, THEN

Unknown command.

Mine are named Pearl's Jam and Purple's Haze. tongue.gif

How fun. Mine are PearlJam and PurplRain

Woah, I missed some drama I see.

Idk. I like the new sprite, I liked the old sprite. It would be nice to someday find out what happened, but I trust that TJ would only make such a move if he had no other choice. The fact that he was in contact with the artists before he pulled the sprite says to me that he was trying to fix it with them and couldn't for some reason, so he was forced to do this instead.

I'm still happy with the dragon and this site overall. I'll wait to see what's going to happen in regards to edits and the like, but for now it'll just hang out with my other holiday dragons and I'm not going to worry about it.

My babies have hatched and have been given names that I think are pretty fitting. As they are "twins" they are Purple Heart of Honor and Purple Heart of Valor. They shall make beautiful adults with names to be proud of OuO

I was in a silly name mode when I named mine.

One is named Fist of Love and the other one is "That not how it's done you know'. xd.png

Huh. Unfortunately, it seems that if I love a spider, then I cannot stay with my date. Too bad. I was hoping for some kind of a message telling me that we got married but ultimately ended up with a divorce due to my attraction to spiders.

Edited by TheVoid