TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

Okay, here's my thoughts after going back and reading what people are saying:

We could always make it like the sweetlings. The people who actually prefer the original will always get the original and the people who prefer the new one will always get the new sprite.

I know a lot of people are upset about this, and trust me, I am too because when I went to go look at my little Fluffy hatchlings earlier, I'm just like, what's Spyro doing in my scroll? Because to me, they look like Spyro in the S1.

That's not how I recall the Sweetlings playing out; many people who have alts don't like them, and many people with the originals prefer the alts. It was an apology for a glitch causing all the eggs caught at the beginning of the drop to auto-abandon and nothing more; nobody had a say whether they got the alts or not.

We could always make it like the sweetlings. The people who actually prefer the original will always get the original and the people who prefer the new one will always get the new sprite.

I know a lot of people are upset about this, and trust me, I am too because when I went to go look at my little Fluffy hatchlings earlier, I'm just like, what's Spyro doing in my scroll? Because to me, they look like Spyro in the S1.

The problem with that though, is that presumable there is a reason that art was pulled off of the site. And I'm going out on a limb, but I'd be willing to bet that means it isn't going to be released on the site due to _____ reason.

Not to mention I feel like it would be a headache to try and parse out which users want what art. Not that I don't doubt TJ could do it, but still.

EDIT: ^^^^^ ninja.gif Also what Pie said.

Edited by Wandering4Ever

If whatever issue there was to make them be changed in the first place can be resolved this sounds like a good plan to me. smile.gif

I think both sets are lovely and am just thankful for another wonderful holiday release.

I just hope that something this serious hasn't been a result of art theft or something along those lines.

That's not how I recall the Sweetlings playing out; many people who have alts don't like them, and many people with the originals prefer the alts. It was an apology for a glitch causing all the eggs caught at the beginning of the drop to auto-abandon and nothing more; nobody had a say whether they got the alts or not.

Ah, true, sorry, my mind's not all that here with me being sick and all, I just thought it would be a solution.

Keyword: a

Yes Sweetlings did not play out on who liked them or not. There's still people upset about how that played out.

(Me personally, I'm bummed out because I was up before the glitch trying to catch and if I hadn't given up I would have probs had the cool sprite haha, but it's no big deal to me)

Assigning one or the other sprite to people is just going to cause more problems.

I obviously don't know anything about this, but I suspect that if it was art theft, we wouldn't have a similar replacement like we do. If it was stolen, the original artist presumably did not give DC permission to use the concept, and even if that's not illegal, I imagine the site would want to refrain from making a similar sprite out of respect. That's just an assumption, of course.

OMG... What is going on??? Why don't we thankful for the EGGY and those who work really hard for us to get your hands on????

I'm grateful to all....

Please make this VALENTINE's EGGY happy PLEASE!!!!!!!!

**HUGS**

**CHUUUUUUUUUUUUU****

On the other hand... I'm playing catch-up on the EVENT biggrin.gif

Maybe in a perfect world, these two sprite sets can be released as normals, with the original being the norm and the new being the 'alt' like vines or blacks(or vice versa, whatever works); while TJ picks a different Valentines so somehow everybody can be happy!

Or maybe just me. I love new dragons and can't get enough xd.png

Edited by Nightwalkerkey

But.... Sweetlings are male and pink? Except for the goths, obvs. o_0;

Yeah, which is my point. Some people did not end up with the pink ones an would like to have a future male pink valentine.

Maybe in a perfect world, these two sprite sets can be released as normals, with the original being the norm and the new being the 'alt' like vines or blacks(or vice versa, whatever works); while TJ picks a different Valentines so somehow everybody can be happy!

Or maybe just me. I love new dragons and can't get enough xd.png

I would assume that if the original sprites were suitable for use on the site in the first place, they would not have been replaced, so I doubt we will be seeing them as a normal release.

But where is permission for using the /species/ given in the contract artists sign?

If they're signing over their sprites that does *not* mean they have permission to use a species in its entirety. That's the whole concept behind closed species.

Unless it is specifically stated and an artist signs over their rights to DC for use of the concept as a whole and not just the art, I truly believe DC does not have the right to do something like this. Legally, stuff like that has to be written out word for word. :/

This. There is, to my memory, no permission given for concepts to be handed over to DC in the agreement. The artists/concepters retain the rights to the concept, as far as I'm aware.

At this point, I think it would have been better to have the sprites replaced with another breed entirely. Would have been bad, but it wouldn't have been this.

I would assume that if the original sprites were suitable for use on the site in the first place, they would not have been replaced, so I doubt we will be seeing them as a normal release.

Oh yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up for anything other than what we currently have, personally.

In a "perfect" world... tongue.gif

I'm just thinking, with all of this drama and this side that side stuff...To my (not so vast) knowledge of dc, nothing like this has happened where TJ has to change sprite sets, but follows the same concept, then spriter comes saying xyz, TJ says abc... It's just such a big mix up-never know what could happen, right?

Edited by Nightwalkerkey

On the prospect of having the older ones as alts, how about we just give them a hand-wave BSA that lets em form swap?

Who cares why or how they change form?

Edited by blockEdragon

The new adult sprite is holding a CD. I can't unsee this.

I love everything about this. Strongly considering re-naming a hatchling to go with the CD theme.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the released sprites had to be changed. I apologize for any inconvenience that may cause, though thankfully it has no chance to impact lineages, since all dragons are CB and none have bred yet.

The originals were pulled for a reason, everybody. They can't be used.

*stares* uhhh....damn, I'm here again for some drama oy vey

I like both new and old sprites, although I prefer the new ones a bit more.

...and I think I might be one of the few that likes the new s1. They look cute to me. *pats them on the head*

On the prospect of alts, how about we just give them a hand-wave BSA that lets em form swap?

Who cares why or how?

Hand-wave BSA for the win.

10/10, would support.

On the topic of recreating the concept, once a concept is chosen and released for DC, DC owns that concept.

Should the art for said concept need replacing, the new spriters are well within their rights to just redraw the dragon if they see fit.

I don't see anything about the concept being owned, just the art?

Either way I understand why people feel uneasy about it, since in this case the concept was created and yoinked to new owners literally before the original owners got their full artwork uploaded. That feels a lot different then, say, a dragon concept from 5 years ago with the original artist long gone getting a sprite update.

I really wish EEF/Tazzay would say what happened. Less than two days ago they were both stoked to have their dragon chosen. Going from that to a full on replacement is very strange indeed.

But where is permission for using the /species/ given in the contract artists sign?

If they're signing over their sprites that does *not* mean they have permission to use a species in its entirety. That's the whole concept behind closed species.

Unless it is specifically stated and an artist signs over their rights to DC for use of the concept as a whole and not just the art, I truly believe DC does not have the right to do something like this. Legally, stuff like that has to be written out word for word. :/

There is no permission given. It's an artist agreement. Unless the concept creator also did physical art in some way, all rights go to the artist. The agreement only relates to the sprite/art.

Edit: You can read the agreement in the sticky in the DR section.

Edited by Jazeki

I want to just abandon my hatchies, because those are *not* the hatchies I loved and seriously there is so much wrong with them. But I'm holding onto them for now because I'm hoping that there are going to be tweaks made. Hopefully? This can't really be the final sprites, can it?

I should apologise fro the censorkip.gif-storm that my dragons caused on here. I regret submitting my dragon to dc now.

While the newer spriter did a good job in the very short timeframe they had, I still would have rather my dragon be completely removed than have the sprites replaced.

Sorry again, everyone.

Those are very gorgeous sprites. I'm very glad they got to be shared. I do hope people realize we can make an opinion on hatchies -- e.g. based on the hatchies, most people could surmise they would prefer the adult of the old one, even before they saw it, based on style. There was a lot of flack for a little while about how we shouldn't be attached to sprites that we haven't seen. But people can make guesses, and most of them guessed right I think.

I totally respect the spriter for remaining anonymous. In fact I'm glad they did that, I wouldn't want them to have to deal with backlash either. =/ Your sprites are very nice, it's unfortunate they had to be rolled out like this. Certainly they're above and beyond what most people could produce at short notice.

Also. As everyone is affected, I think there should be an alt that all people can receive. laugh.gif Like Sweetlings, but more like Solstices. ;P

I honest to goodness wish this dispute would have resolved itself and the originals were used. Is there no hope that we may go back to the originals? sad.gif Can't we arrange some kind of scenario where TJ and the spriters accidentally go to the same beach vacation together, and through a series of bonding experiences and wacky situations, learn to get along?

edit: It's okay Tazzay. They're gorgeous. I wish everything had worked out well.

Edited by Painter

Y'all may be right, it's been a long time and that had been the impression I was under. Regardless, this is an interesting situation

I want to just abandon my hatchies, because those are *not* the hatchies I loved and seriously there is so much wrong with them. But I'm holding onto them for now because I'm hoping that there are going to be tweaks made. Hopefully? This can't really be the final sprites, can it?

Tweaks can be made post release.

Those most recent blue pygmy sprite updates (sorry name eludes me) had something funky with the neck on the female? People gave polite constructive criticism and the spriter worked with everyone on fixing it and now it looks great!