TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

Quoting the DRAMA!

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the released sprites had to be changed. I apologize for any inconvenience that may cause, though thankfully it has no chance to impact lineages, since all dragons are CB and none have bred yet.

{snip}

Comparison:

~Removed~ --> user posted image (Provided by Aurigena)

~Removed~ --> user posted image

Even the egg sprite was modified a bit

user posted image New Egg Vs. Old Egg user posted image

{snip}

Well, since people want to know -

(Shokomon: Current Adult Added for Comparison)

This is what the original Cermorvous looked like. I don't know why it was changed without EEF's or my consent, but it was. Sorry to everyone.

EEF and I were treated rather poorly about this release.

I don't know why it was changed without EEF's or my consent, but it was. Sorry to everyone.

If you're going to play the victim, please don't outright lie about it. You were notified via PM last night (in addition to the repeated contact I've had with edwardelricfreak over the past several days, that I know you are aware of because you PMed me about it). You responded to the very PM I sent you about an hour later. To claim that you don't know why the events that have happened transpired as they did is a bit more than disingenuous.

My earlier post in this thread was intentionally vague about the swap because I didn't want to draw negative attention to you and edwardelricfreak, but I'm not going to tolerate outright falsehoods.

However, since that's not the case... at this point the best way to settle things is probably to give some explanation. D.C. has a reputation for annoying levels of hyper secrecy and while I get that in this case it's actually justified as being sensitive, things are going to explode more without answers, not quiet down.

I am avoiding giving specifics out of respect for the people involved. If they wish to share what happened, they can, and if it turns out they are comfortable doing so, I will gladly share my side of things.

The new spriter doesn't get credit for their sprite, because of the negativity attached to the whole ordeal.

The new spriter(s) explicitly asked for anonymity/to go without credit.

I should apologise fro the censorkip.gif-storm that my dragons caused on here. I regret submitting my dragon to dc now.

While the newer spriter did a good job in the very short timeframe they had, I still would have rather my dragon be completely removed than have the sprites replaced.

Sorry again, everyone.

Form your own opinions, but don't insult the spriters

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I want to just abandon my hatchies, because those are *not* the hatchies I loved and seriously there is so much wrong with them. But I'm holding onto them for now because I'm hoping that there are going to be tweaks made. Hopefully? This can't really be the final sprites, can it?

I am feeling the same way. First time I wanted to abandon a holiday dragon, but part of me also wants to keep them. When I saw my hatchlings change, I was confused because they looked like dogs to me.

Having seen the old adults, I can say that I definitely prefer the new ones. The wings on the old ones lack structure, and so look like they could never actually be used as wings. They're -pretty-, but they don't look -useful-. I think the old ones are also a bit too on the nose for deer anatomy. The new ones perhaps could have used a few more deerish details, but overall I like the more dragony look.

And the new s1 is growing on me. x3

And to everyone suggesting that the old ones be available in any fashion, remember that there was a reason why TJ pulled them. There is some reason why they can't be used on this site. That isn't going to change from people saying they want them.

If they weren't a Holiday and thus irreplaceable, I probably would have abandoned mine as well. Not a fun thing to see sprites you were excited about turned into knockoff spyro.

I am feeling the same way. First time I wanted to abandon a holiday dragon, but part of me also wants to keep them. When I saw my hatchlings change, I was confused because they looked like dogs to me.

I'm going to freeze mine before they reach adult hood. And I agree with you there. This is the first time I really wanted to abandon a holiday release.

If anyone does decide to abandon their hatchlings, there was someone who missed the event a few pages back who might appreciate them. Or people who missed the eggs in general.

If they weren't a Holiday and thus irreplaceable, I probably would have abandoned mine as well. Not a fun thing to see sprites you were excited about turned into knockoff spyro.

Omg! Yes! Someone else who thinks these dragons look like Spyro!

If anyone does decide to abandon their hatchlings, there was someone who missed the event a few pages back who might appreciate them. Or people who missed the eggs in general.

Quoting this as it is a really good suggestion!

If you don't want your dragons then just give them away to someone who does want them and wasn't able to get them. Problem solved.

Here's a good idea.

If you really hate them that much, please give them to someone who truly needs them and missed out!

I wonder if a thread where people could donate their hatchlings/eggs if there are any to people who missed the event would be worthwhile?

I ended up giving mine to someone who missed out... I'd rather they go to someone who didn't prefer the first set :/

I missed the event because I was on vacation :'(

I'm quite sad that people want to abandon their hatchis, because I don't have one at all and no chance anymore to get a CB sad.gif

While I did greatly prefer the old stage ones, there's things I like and dislike about both adults. I love the hooves and the antlers on the old adult, as well as the head and neck as compared to the new, but I also adore the wings on the new adult. They feel like the dragon could actually fly, and wing structure really makes or breaks a dragon sprite for me. It's the reason I personally dislike the Solstice dragons as extremely as I do, because their wings don't look like they could ever hold the dragon's weight in the air, not attached to their bums the way they are.

It's a weird situation. Weird snazz is happening today.

I wonder if a thread where people could donate their hatchlings/eggs if there are any to people who missed the event would be worthwhile?

I ended up giving mine to someone who missed out... I'd rather they go to someone who didn't prefer the first set :/

They can always just go to the departures thread asking for PM's from an established scroll who missed out

I'll probably just kill mine if nothing changes before my kill slots are off cooldown. I got the name Cermorvus Dragon, and there's something pretty satisfying about the thought it being locked away forever on a dead dragon. Or maybe I'll get a zombie out of it. Win/win.

Either way unless there's a really, really good reason for this, I'm probably done with DC for good. I hoped that things would change during my two-year hiatus, but, nope, they're the same as they always were. Pity.

Quoting the DRAMA!

{snip}

Comparison:

If you're going to play the victim, please don't outright lie about it. You were notified via PM last night (in addition to the repeated contact I've had with edwardelricfreak over the past several days, that I know you are aware of because you PMed me about it). You responded to the very PM I sent you about an hour later. To claim that you don't know why the events that have happened transpired as they did is a bit more than disingenuous.

My earlier post in this thread was intentionally vague about the swap because I didn't want to draw negative attention to you and edwardelricfreak, but I'm not going to tolerate outright falsehoods.

I am avoiding giving specifics out of respect for the people involved. If they wish to share what happened, they can, and if it turns out they are comfortable doing so, I will gladly share my side of things.

^ Thanks for reposting. I was really confused as to why my hatchlings have changed.

Looking at the sprites, I prefer the old set way more. Anatomy-wise, the head and neck of the new dragons are way too large for the body. The shading is harsh and flat. I get that there's *a* reason why the old sprites can't be used but why provide sprites that were rushed and below DC's regular quality? Having them "grow" into a fog and reveal less hurried adult sprites would have been better imo.

would people really be wanting to abandon their eggs/hatchlings if the new ones were released first?

I like the first ones but I don't think the new ones are bad. and good luck to the people who are desperately wanting an explanation because I can't think of a time the general userbase has actually gotten one

Edited by dragonstar

I'll probably just kill mine if nothing changes before my kill slots are off cooldown. I got the name Cermorvus Dragon, and there's something pretty satisfying about the thought it being locked away forever on a dead dragon. Or maybe I'll get a zombie out of it. Win/win.

Either way unless there's a really, really good reason for this, I'm probably done with DC for good. I hoped that things would change during my two-year hiatus, but, nope, they're the same as they always were. Pity.

I literally just froze mine. I was really excited about the old sprites because of how cute they were and then they got pulled and replaced by harsh colouring.

Valentine 2017 - Sprite Replacement Explanation and Current Developments

Edit: Missing Old Val '17 images provided by Laura-Borealis

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the released sprites had to be changed. I apologize for any inconvenience that may cause, though thankfully it has no chance to impact lineages, since all dragons are CB and none have bred yet.

{snip}

Comparison:

Even the egg sprite was modified a bit

user posted image New Egg Vs. Old Egg user posted image

{snip}

Well, since people want to know -

(Shokomon: Current Adult Added for Comparison)

This is what the original Cermorvous looked like. I don't know why it was changed without EEF's or my consent, but it was. Sorry to everyone.

I don't know why it was changed without EEF's or my consent, but it was. Sorry to everyone.

However, since that's not the case... at this point the best way to settle things is probably to give some explanation. D.C. has a reputation for annoying levels of hyper secrecy and while I get that in this case it's actually justified as being sensitive, things are going to explode more without answers, not quiet down.

The new spriter doesn't get credit for their sprite, because of the negativity attached to the whole ordeal.

I should apologise fro the censorkip.gif-storm that my dragons caused on here. I regret submitting my dragon to dc now.

While the newer spriter did a good job in the very short timeframe they had, I still would have rather my dragon be completely removed than have the sprites replaced.

Sorry again, everyone.

Edit (2/18): Fixing broken links, and adding things.

Edit: For Comedy! The Legendary Bee Movie Post, forever archived. Viewer Discretion is advised.

Am I the only one who kinda likes the new S1 sprite? Not as much as the old one, but it looks like a tiny purple goat with its butt on fire.

would people really be wanting to abandon their eggs/hatchlings if the new ones were released first?

I like the first ones but I don't think the new ones are bad. and good luck to the people who are desperately wanting an explanation because I can't think of a time the general userbase has actually gotten one

I thought the same thing. People are upset and are refusing to even attempt to like anything about the new sprites (I've seen some legit critiques and comparisons, kudos to not letting emotions cloud judgement)

The way people are being.... so childish... about it, it's no wonder the new spriter is staying anonymous.

This is the exact reason why the frills got pulled all those years ago is because we users were absolutely terrible to the spriter.

People should take a day to have a think before they go freezing/killing/abandoning their CB holidays.

It's a CB holiday. Be reasonable. See sense.

While I did greatly prefer the old stage ones, there's things I like and dislike about both adults. I love the hooves and the antlers on the old adult, as well as the head and neck as compared to the new, but I also adore the wings on the new adult. They feel like the dragon could actually fly, and wing structure really makes or breaks a dragon sprite for me. It's the reason I personally dislike the Solstice dragons as extremely as I do, because their wings don't look like they could ever hold the dragon's weight in the air, not attached to their bums the way they are.

It's a weird situation. Weird snazz is happening today.

Not sure what you mean. The solstice's wings are attached at the butt. xd.png

Okay, what I miss? This randomly came up in convo on another site and apparently there was maybe theft?

I'm not killing my dragons. If guys want to, I'll just keep my new super-rare. xd.png