TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

Well, then a post must have gotten deleted or something, because I distinctly remember one of them saying that the dragons had both hooves on their back legs as well as a tuft of fur on the chin, and my memory is very, very good.

I definitely remember reading this as well, because my instant reaction to that was that they were kind of reminiscent of Qilin then, but with wings.

This is a very, VERY good post and one that I hope the spriter(s) will take into consideration. I'm certainly hoping that these are not the finale versions of these sprites, I hope there will be tweaks made. I hope very hard that there will be tweaks made.

I still would have preferred a "fog" period, in which new sprites were tweaked and made better and we had "fogged" sprites, to this putting forward rather sloppy looking sprites.

Same. I'd rather have a breed full of Missingnos than... this. I miss the soft pastels and delicate look of the originals.

I do hope an in-cave spriter will fix all this set into a quality more of the level the originals had, the smoothness, rendering of detail and, honestly, that pearl placement... Best would be if the design was altered back a bit. And I'd like to see a bit more contrast the original set had. Not to mention the S1 hatchling had a best pose... and since poses cannot be copyrighted and this general pose is pretty much to be seen in nature, I beleive a very silimar pne couuld be used actually... And I liked the previous colours better too, I'd like to see at least a compromise here. And it's way too grainy and difficult to make out, esp. the hatchies but the replacement adult is much less clean and clear than the S1 of the original set, which is really bad...

But really, with NO explaination it is just outrageous... WHAT can possibly lead to such a thing? it is CRUCIAL that we know...

not only so we can understand and feel less bitter but also so noone from the current userbase might find themselves and their sprites in a disaster like this...

BTW TJ technically can everything in this game(excluding using trademarked characters which he learned the hard way:P), so I don't want to see a lame 'reason' like 'because the 'rule' of secrecy was broken'(pfft as if it was indeed more important than the sprites themselves..) because that would NOT be at all worth the scrapping the, so far, perfect sprites...

I want to be reassured the reason was VALID enough, or I will feel worse than bitter that a good sprite was released just to be removed...

Right now I'm having the lamest excuses floating in my head(even including TJ realising he doesn't want debut in-cave spriters have a start with having spriters alts anymore - no matter how riddiculus that sounds but this is what can happen if no reasons are revealed and everything is such a mystery...) and can't help feeling the reason was NOT valid if TJ didn't reveal it... only the lamest excuses are kept secret like this and called 'unforseen circumstances' and alike...

It's not that all the details should be given, but at least the crucial ones... because right now NO excuse had been actually given... 'some sth' means nothing... As long as there's no reason given, there wll be some drama... either in here on in people's heads...

Just like human babies, whose heads are disproportionately large; they form 25% of the baby's height; by adulthood it's down to a sixth. Just saying...

While I agree with what you are saying 100%, the difference here is human babies can't walk for a very long time, nor support their heads for quite a while. In the animal kingdom, an animal that cannot walk or support a large head either has to be protected by a parent at nearly all times, or will not survive due to predation. As many dragons on here are hinted at being able to walk (explorative types) or left soon after hatching, I still say that the head is overly large. smile.gif

Aww, I felt the original sprites had so much more elegance and grace than their rather bumpkin-esque replacements.

I do hope an in-cave spriter will fix all this set into a quality more of the level the originals had, the smoothness, rendering of detail and, honestly, that pearl placement... Best would be if the design was altered back a bit. And I'd like to see a bit more contrast the original set had. Not to mention the S1 hatchling had a best pose... and since poses cannot be copyrighted and this general pose is pretty much to be seen in nature, I beleive a very silimar pne couuld be used actually... And I liked the previous colours better too, I'd like to see at least a compromise here. And it's way too grainy and difficult to make out, esp. the hatchies but the replacement adult is much less clean and clear than the S1 of the original set, which is really bad...

But really, with NO explaination it is just outrageous... WHAT can possibly lead to such a thing? it is CRUCIAL that we know...

not only so we can understand and feel less bitter but also so noone from the current userbase might find themselves and their sprites in a disaster like this...

BTW TJ technically can everything in this game(excluding using trademarked characters which he learned the hard way:P), so I don't want to see a lame 'reason' like 'because the 'rule' of secrecy was broken'(pfft as if it was indeed more important than the sprites themselves..) because that would NOT be at all worth the scrapping the, so far, perfect sprites...

I want to be reassured the reason was VALID enough, or I will feel worse than bitter that a good sprite was released just to be removed...

Right now I'm having the lamest excuses floating in my head(even including TJ realising he doesn't want debut in-cave spriters have a start with having spriters alts anymore - no matter how riddiculus that sounds but this is what can happen if no reasons are revealed and everything is such a mystery...) and can't help feeling the reason was NOT valid if TJ didn't reveal it... only the lamest excuses are kept secret like this and called 'unforseen circumstances' and alike...

It's not that all the details should be given, but at least the crucial ones... because right now NO excuse had been actually given... 'some sth' means nothing... As long as there's no reason given, there wll be some drama... either in here on in people's heads...

Seriously. That WE DON'T KNOW is probably the biggest sticking point for a lot of people, including me. I want a proper reason given, not "something happened but I won't say what".

Not really liking the changes to the sprites. The lighter purple looked much better, as did the shape of the old hatchling's body.

I could say the exact same thing about this community for the opposite reason. People are screaming about this like TJ did this to personally spite each and every user, and the new sprites killed your pet dog and pushed over your grandmother, and how dare this possibly happen.

This has gone past complaint - this is just hysteria.

It's okay to like the old sprites more - I did too! - but acting like they're the Worst Thing Ever is a disservice to the artists that had to create them on such short notice. These things don't happen for no reason, and TJ might just not be able to disclose the reason why. I'm curious, but I'm also guessing the answer is wrapped up in legalese.

I mean, really, think of what it'd be like to be the artist that made the new sprites, and read this waterfall of hatred on the board. Maybe then you might understand why you're getting such a pushback.

My thoughts exactly. Sure, I also prefer old hatchlings, but the new ones are very nice, too, and the adult sprite looks great.

I'm really thankful to all spriters who were involved. I really admire that you're doing so much even though sometimes you're met with so much criticism - and let's be honest, not all of said criticism is fair. You're all great artists, gals and guys!

I prefer the old look too. I don't see why people complained about it leaning forward. From the old description, it makes sense that the baby would be a little top heavy, but it look like she grows into it when she genders.

Seriously. That WE DON'T KNOW is probably the biggest sticking point for a lot of people, including me. I want a proper reason given, not "something happened but I won't say what".

I would also like a real reason, even just saying "we can't tell you or they will sue us" would be fine by me.

Edited by blockEdragon

Just thought I would share some of my own adventure, and some silly things I tried out. The 'Easter Eggs', as some like to cal it, are in pink, as well as some basic tinker commands I thought were slightly amusing/bummed about:P Enjoy!

terrerio35 2:41 pm EST

Mountain Path

You soon encounter a TREE growing right between two large boulders and are unable to progress any further along your current route, but another PATH forks off to the LEFT and goes a little way back up the slope.

> EXAMINE TREE

What an inconvenient place for a tree to grow.

> MOVE BOULDERS

There doesn't seem to be anything to do that with.

> EXAMINE SKELETON

At least he went out swinging.

> EXAMINE ROCKS

Whoever the knight was, he was much larger and a lot more foolhardy than you.

> OBSERVE AXE

A very large, rusty battle AXE.

> TAKE TREE

Don't be absurd, you can't take this with you.

> LICK TREE

You get close to the tree and—actually no. I'm not going to go there. That's strange.

You know what? I give up. You win. You've successfully weirded me out. And for what? To see if you could? Well, fine. You keep doing strange things without me. I'm leaving.

THE END

…You're still here?

Ugh. You don't know when to quit, do you? Well, if you're not going to leave, I guess I have no choice but to placate your demands until you reach the actual "THE END."

> PUNCH SKELETON

It doesn't look like you can do that with the SKELETON.

> HACK SKELETON

It doesn't look like you can do that with the SKELETON.

> PLAY WITH SKELETON

Unknown command.

Edited by terrerio35

I've been at work all day and I've tried reading back - what exactly has happened? Why? I did prefer the original hatchies, the new ones look very fuzzy and peculiar.

I think we are owed some explanation. You can't dangle new dragons in front of us and then take them away.

Not sure how I feel about the new sprites.

Had I never seen the old ones, I would probably be fine with them. They do look rushed, and mildly unpolished, but I like bulky dragons. Mutamores are one of my favorites, as are Aegis.

But the fact that we originally had dainty, agile deer-dragons as our hatchlings makes me feel a bit.. Disappointed. I do like the adults, but it isnt what was originally offered.

Again. Im not trying to be overly harsh, and by no means bashing artists. But I am saying these new sprites look rushed and a little unpolished. Like they were made last minute to replace the originals.

I could say the exact same thing about this community for the opposite reason. People are screaming about this like TJ did this to personally spite each and every user, and the new sprites killed your pet dog and pushed over your grandmother, and how dare this possibly happen.

This has gone past complaint - this is just hysteria.

It's okay to like the old sprites more - I did too! - but acting like they're the Worst Thing Ever is a disservice to the artists that had to create them on such short notice. These things don't happen for no reason, and TJ might just not be able to disclose the reason why. I'm curious, but I'm also guessing the answer is wrapped up in legalese.

I mean, really, think of what it'd be like to be the artist that made the new sprites, and read this waterfall of hatred on the board. Maybe then you might understand why you're getting such a pushback.

Hahaha this is the best post I just saw it. I agree entirely... I mean, c'mon, this has to be a serious problem for TJ to stir up the hornet's nest. He KNOWS how much backlash there is to any change of any kind!!!

Right now I'm having the lamest excuses floating in my head(even including TJ realising he doesn't want debut in-cave spriters have a start with having spriters alts anymore - no matter how riddiculus that sounds but this is what can happen if no reasons are revealed and everything is such a mystery...) and can't help feeling the reason was NOT valid if TJ didn't reveal it... only the l****t excuses are kept secret like this and called 'unforseen circumstances' and alike...

Or the situation was delicate and required a degree of privacy.

It's easy to say "it's not valid because I don't know" but it's also easy to realize "oh it was valid I just didn't realize it" once you do know.

You're frustrated and upset. How you are feeling is valid and completely understandable. But, as you said, you don't know the reason for the replacement, so you really have no idea how valid (or not) the reason for the secrecy is. I think you guys just need to trust that this was not a decision that was made lightly or on a whim. It's not a decision that was made spur of the moment. There is a reason for the decision and how it was handled, even if you are in the dark about it. I'm sorry you are upset, though.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the released sprites had to be changed. I apologize for any inconvenience that may cause, though thankfully it has no chance to impact lineages, since all dragons are CB and none have bred yet.

Quote for people just coming on.

I really miss the old sprites. sad.gif

I'm curious to know what happened. I'm not gonna ask, as it's none of my business. However, if the new sprites were rushed, I wish they'd tell us. I think people would be very understanding about it if that's the case.

I think the current adults are beautiful. They will probably end up becoming one my favorite V-Day dragons. I kinda wish they had a regular dragon tail but that is only my personal preference. Honestly, I'm just grateful we got a dragon this year that wasn't some shade of pink. tongue.gif I'll still hold out hope for a darker V-Day dragon like the Alt Sweetling... someday.

I didn't get to see the original adult sprite before the change (was there a different adult confirmed?), but I liked the original hatchlings better too. The new hatchies are more cute looking, while the originals were more elegant. I do appreciate that the new sprites make it look more dragon-like and less deer-like though. Whatever the reason for the sudden change however, it seems it was a necessary one? So there's probably not much use in complaining. Is there room for improvement in the new sprites? Well, yes. Hopefully the artists will take any constructive criticism posted here into consideration. But I'm happy with the dragon as is, too.

To everyone that worked on it, thank you for the new holiday dragon. smile.gif

Edit: Thanks for the adult clarification, C4. Also edited my post to include the deer comment.

Edited by bloodonmyfangs

Whatever happened,... happened. TJ had his good reasons to replace them.

Shame, cause I kind of liked the original hatchling sprites.

Didn't get to see the other adults, so I can't really comment on that. It's cute though.

Edited by earthgirl

I've been at work all day and I've tried reading back - what exactly has happened? Why? I did prefer the original hatchies, the new ones look very fuzzy and peculiar.

I think we are owed some explanation. You can't dangle new dragons in front of us and then take them away.

I was in the same boat earlier myself. Apparently there was an issue with the original sprites and they were changed. No one knows why as a reason hasn't been given and many people have varied issues with it.

I myself don't mind because I can understand and relate when things don't work out. I did like the original sprites better, but I'm not about to grab my torch and pitchfork and riot down the cobblestone street.

Such a shame about the original hatchies, I really liked them. But wow - beautiful adult!

I do still like the adult, so I'm not disappointed. I really am not a fan of the hatchies though, but I don't usually freeze holidays anyway.

I really liked the paler purple though, I can't help but think what could have been? I feel very sad for the original spriters

It's just a very strange situation. If the originals were unable to be used for some reason, why replace it with such a similar but distorted design? I understand if it was rushed, but then why not just go with a whole other dragon?

Edited by munificent

I think the current adults are beautiful. They will probably end up becoming one my favorite V-Day dragons. I kinda wish they had a regular dragon tail but that is only my personal preference. Honestly, I'm just grateful we got a dragon this year that wasn't some shade of pink. tongue.gif I'll still hold out hope for a darker V-Day dragon like the Alt Sweetling... someday.

I didn't get to see the original adult sprite before the change (was there a different adult confirmed?), but I liked the original hatchlings better too. The new hatchies are more cute looking, while the originals were more elegant. Whatever reason for the sudden change, it seems it was a necessary one? So there's probably not much use in complaining. Is there room for improvement in the new sprites? Well, yes. Hopefully the artists will take any constructive criticism posted here into consideration. But I'm happy with the dragon as is, too.

To everyone that worked on it, thank you for the new holiday dragon. smile.gif

The change happened 2 hours before TJ's grew up.

TJ's dragons never had the original adult sprite, the change happened 2 HOURS before his grew. This bruouhaha is ALL about the egg, s1 and s2 sprites that we had for less than 2 days each.

C4.