TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

*Sign* I guess I will have to accept the new look, its not that I hated it, its just that I wanted it to look like the one I loved before. But I do really really hope they fix those feet x-x

I do hope they change the pearl to the middle of the antlers.

That would look AMAZING. Right now it just does not look great in the paw and feels like copying a PearlCatcher dragon from FR

And if the S1 sprite keeps the googly eyes I can at least freeze babys and give them silly names.

Can we please not have posts like this ? TJ would not have done this without a very good reason, and one that is probably none of our business. I am guessing something copyright-ish - and if that';s the case, it is between him and the artists. We have a lovely new dragon, and while the S1 hatchie is a little odd, it is far from ugly.

More to the point - think before you post, people - how would you feel if you had been one of the artists who came forward to sort this situation out ? If these sprites are really the work of two days - they are a freaking miracle. Especially the adult.

It's fairly obvious that something big happened and that it is simply not going to be possible to have the original sprites back. Can we move on from that and enjoy the ones we have ? There is no point banging on about something we can't have. TJ does some very odd things at times - but I am certain sure that this was one case where he had no choice.

This. All this.

I suspect that we will never know who did the new sprites, and if I were them I'd do the same thing! People.... from TJ's post, this was not a good situation! This was not a case of the artist not being satisfied, or it wouldn't be an "unexpected situation", per TJ's post. Also, had the original spriters done the artwork, they would be credited.

I, too, suspect that the new sprites were the work of 2 days. And in that sort amount of time, what we got is amazing. But....

What artist would even consider fixing any flaws in work done so fast for a userbase so utterly ungrateful?

You don't do this much work on seemingly no notice unless the crap has hit the fan. Really, really hit the fan. What artist would do work like this, that they had to KNOW the DC userbase would crap all over unless there was a super compelling reason?

I hate unnecessary sprite updates. But what I hate even more is having a sprite pulled well after the fact because of problems with the artists, copy-write problems, or legal issues. And DC has had to pull them in the past because of those very reasons.

C4.

This. All this.

I suspect that we will never know who did the new sprites, and if I were them I'd do the same thing! People.... from TJ's post, this was not a good situation! This was not a case of the artist not being satisfied, or it wouldn't be an "unexpected situation", per TJ's post. Also, had the original spriters done the artwork, they would be credited.

I, too, suspect that the new sprites were the work of 2 days. And in that sort amount of time, what we got is amazing. But....

What artist would even consider fixing any flaws in work done so fast for a userbase so utterly ungrateful?

You don't do this much work on seemingly no notice unless the crap has hit the fan. Really, really hit the fan. What artist would do work like this, that they had to KNOW the DC userbase would crap all over unless there was a super compelling reason?

I hate unnecessary sprite updates. But what I hate even more is having a sprite pulled well after the fact because of problems with the artists, copy-write problems, or legal issues. And DC has had to pull them in the past because of those very reasons.

C4.

Yeah, c'mon, guys. I feel like if there was a sudden replacement like this, with no warning, it has to be for a pretty serious reason. TJ knows how y'all get when anything at all changes on this site, do you really think he'd open things up to that unless he was darn well sure it was necessary?

He'll probably announce why at some point, so please keep a firm grasp on your equines, but it's okay to have a preference too.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

Stop insulting the artists, I definitely agree on. That's just plain rude and even someone as outspoken as me would never go that far.

I think a lot of people have just posted criticisms to the sprite. Normally, they're made with a lot more time and input, and probably go through a lot of tweaks and updates before they are finalized. I'm assuming Holiday dragons go through that same process between the artists creating them and whoever they ask to review. If these sprites were indeed just made within the last few days, a lot of the criticism is constructive and warranted - something the spriters could take into account in a further update.

I haven't seen people insulting the new spriters so much as criticizing the sprites and pointing out what needs to be fixed or changed.

I like the new look, but more than anything I want communication as to what happened.

I think a lot of people have just posted criticisms to the sprite. Normally, they're made with a lot more time and input, and probably go through a lot of tweaks and updates before they are finalized. I'm assuming Holiday dragons go through that same process between the artists creating them and whoever they ask to review. If these sprites were indeed just made within the last few days, a lot of the criticism is constructive and warranted - something the spriters could take into account in a further update.

I haven't seen people insulting the new spriters so much as criticizing the sprites and pointing out what needs to be fixed or changed.

When you're saying the new sprites are 'crap', or 'a joke', you're no longer criticizing the sprites, but the artists who made them.

Crit that actually specifically addresses errors with the sprite is fine, but things that amount to 'I hate them' without any fine tuning are just insults.

When you're saying the new sprites are 'crap', or 'a joke', you're no longer criticizing the sprites, but the artists who made them.

Crit that actually specifically addresses errors with the sprite is fine, but things that amount to 'I hate them' without any fine tuning are just insults.

Thankfully, the vast majority of the criticisms have indeed been sprite-related and more polite then that. I saw only two instances of "crap" or "a joke", and everyone else seems to be pointing out what it is that they don't like about the sprites.

Well, anybody that petty and willing to paint an entire community in one color probably shouldn't be a volunteer, unpaid artist for a public site anyway.

Truly never understood this "they don't all like my work and shower me with praise? Punish the whole crowd" mentality. Let's stick to personal opinions being just that.

The hatchling spites look much worse, and while not as bad as the hatchlings the adults are very disappointing, the pearl isn't even in their antlers.

I'd really like to at least know h'why our beautiful dear are gone.

I'm sure if everyone got an explanation most wouldn't be AS harsh.

Nothing against the spriters but the new ones just look like buff, purple, snowflakes.

I'm all for sprite updates if they are good like golds, silvers, and splits but this easily falls under a bad/lackluster update, at least Nils wont be so lonely...

Maybe one day they can get a second sprite update that isn't as rushed as an overnight sprite switch must have been

Edited by blockEdragon

Thankfully, the vast majority of the criticisms have indeed been sprite-related and more polite then that. I saw only two instances of "crap" or "a joke", and everyone else seems to be pointing out what it is that they don't like about the sprites.

True, and I should clarify, I have no issues with that.

WELLLL technically, even using those birds words when referring to the sprites is a criticism of the sprites...just a rude and unhelpful one.

Hoping the spriters will take some of the actually constructive and useful criticisms into account and update the sprite set, that's all.

Edited by Pryanka

Even the egg sprite was modified a bit

user posted image New Egg Vs. Old Egg user posted image

Newer egg looks sloppier IMO.

A lot of the shininess is gone from the new egg. The shading is more consistent in the newer egg than the older egg. The older egg was more reflective and glass like. The newer egg looks much more solid and opaque. Oh well.

I love the adults!

However, I wonder if these are the original adults or new adults? What did the originals look like if these are new? Why were the sprites changes?

So many questions.

However, I wonder if these are the original adults or new adults?

Well, since the description mentions the pearl being carried on the antlers, as well as the back hooves being gone and the chin fluff that was supposed to be there also missing, I'm gonna hazard a guess at these being new.

It's free for anyone to use! smile.gif

Awesome! Thank you! happy.gif

Also, does this new valentine dragon have three stages? It looks differently from before, but it doesn't look like the gendered stage like TJ's? I see that there is already conversations going on about the sprites, but I'm just jumping back on from a long day and so this is totally new to me. huh.gif

ETA: Also, my gosh those adults are beautiful! I am in love with them! wub.gif I am so breeding them with Purples next year.

Edited by Syiren

Really we need a better explanation, maybe someone used a design from somewhere else and then TJ found out and that's why we needed such a big change. If that was the case then all my upsetness would be begone and I would completely understand.

But with only a sorry the design had to be changed it leaves us all very upset.

Exactly what I have a problem with...

aside to a better quality sprite replaced to a lower quality (and really, even if I myself made that replacement, 'd be harsh on it if not harsher)

I see that there is already conversations going on about the sprites, but I'm just jumping back on from a long day and so this is totally new to me. huh.gif

TL;DR-

All the sprites were replaced due to "unforeseen circumstances".

Well, anybody that petty and willing to paint an entire community in one color probably shouldn't be a volunteer, unpaid artist for a public site anyway.

Truly never understood this "they don't all like my work and shower me with praise? Punish the whole crowd" mentality. Let's stick to personal opinions being just that.

There's been a lot of really vicious posts in this thread, for sprites we had for at most 3 days. Its not petty to decide to back away and do nothing more with a sprite when so many people were so nasty.

Especially since its easy to extrapolate just what must have gone down to result in this sort of change.

I'm just happy that someone was willing to step up and help. I like the adult sprites, though the s1 is kinda creepy. O.o Really love the big beautiful wings! And that they aren't pink.

Cheers!

C4.

TL;DR-

All the sprites were replaced due to "unforeseen circumstances".

So the current adult is the replacement adult?? I want to see what it looked beforehand then. v.v

So the current adult is the replacement adult?? I want to see what it looked beforehand then. v.v

Sprites were replaced before we saw adults.

That would literally defeat the purpose of replacing it in the first place, I'm pretty sure?

I'm sure there was a good reason for this change and I do hope we find out what it is at some point (I hate not knowing!) but I think my biggest disappointment with the new version is that is looks so different to the deer-like hatchies we had before. Weren't they sleeker, with hooves and fluff? If the new ones really were done over ~48hrs they're very impressive and if these were any other new dragon I'd probably by happy with them, but as it stands I can't help but be a bit disappointed. (Apart from with those wings, those are as beautiful as the original egg promised!) Only purple/gold remains and they're not the same shades. I was going to breed these with Witchlights once Halloween rolled around but I don't think I will be unless the new adults get some tweaking. Like several other posters, I would like to know what the original adults looked like, though I don't suppose we ever will.

Edited by Aurae

Oooh, I love the new hatchies. And I actually understand their pose this time, lol.

Adults are beautiful as well. thumbs_up.png

The adults are so pretty, but I think the "matchmaker" thing is getting a little overdone.