TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

You could release it ans catch another CB egg from the AP smile.gif

Oh, wait, you can do that?

Be right back!!!!

Well, I read back to the start of the sprite replacement situation. There are good points on both sides, and while I hope we eventually get some details on exactly what happened, I'm not counting on it and that's okay. Whatever the situation was, it can't have been an easy thing for anyone involved.

About the sprites, I don't like the new hatchlings very much, but I wasn't exactly in love with the old ones either. Funny, I've been wanting a purple Valentine for years and now we have one I don't love it nearly as much as I thought I would. The only thing that bugs me about the current hatchlings is that it's hard to make out some of the details of the sprite. The s1 looks a little flat (shading problem? I dunno, I'm not an artist), and the s2 looks like it has too many details in too small a space. That might just be personal preference though. I like the adults, even if I am not in love with them. Wings are gorgeous, feet look spindly, but they will probably grow on me. Holidays usually do (though not always). I wonder what they'd be like bred to Fell dragons. Or maybe Monarchs. I hope we eventually find out who sprited them.

Well the AP has gone back to (very very low-timed) regular dragons now! Goodbye Valentines, see you next year!

Yeah, looks like all new eggs are gone, unless you refresh like a hundred times. Wish I could snag more than two, they are really pretty!

I just came back to my computer and went like "What is that thing doing on my scroll ??!!".

I left one of the cutest S1 hatchies I ever had, and returned to some googley-eyed, very purple... being.

Life is full of surprises, I guess. sad.gif

Thankfully, while I absolutely dislike the new hatchlings (the S1 because of its fish-eyes, mostly, the S2 because I can barely make out anything regarding its head) and absolutely loved the old ones (the colours were so much more harmonic and subtle, the S1 had antlers, was super cute and wonderfully in-motion), the adult dragon is really nice.

This is a beautiful new dragon, and will be one of my favourite Valentines.

The only issue I have are the feet - why are they so spidery ?? (And don't tell me anything about a reference to the famous spider in the game !)

And maybe the wing-tip of the left wing showing under the belly should be removed. It could as well be hidden behind the body and still make a viable position of the wing, and it looks a bit strange hanging there. (I actually had to look up the visible wing to verify this had to be the tip of the other one and not some strange appendix on the belly.)

And this description needs to be reworked. Not only does it sound a bit boring and very businesslike (lacking a better word, sorry), now that the pearl has been moved it is also plain wrong: "seen in the mysterious pearl they carry atop their antlers" no longer fits any stage of sprite. (Which is a crying shame if you ask me.)

Holding the pearl in their claws makes an unfortunate similarity to a dragon species on another site that is always carrying a pearl with them in the same way...

Still - I'll miss the old hatchies very much (and liked the old egg better as well), but all in all I love the new dragon, sprite-wise. (Hope the description gets better.)

My sympathy to the spriter(s) of the original flufflebutts, I'm sure it's really sad to loose them in the cave !! sad.gif

And also to everyone involved in this sad business, I guess no-one really wanted to do such a thing. (And I want to believe there was a compelling reason to do it all the same.)

Edit: Writing this took a while, and when looking at the S1 after that I had the Chihuahua effect. At first look I find them ugly, but then comes the "but they have a character and want love, too", and the dislike fades away. They're still not good looking, but you ignore it somehow in favour of treating them like (tiny) dogs (or dragons, in this case). Sympathy, I guess... wink.gif

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

The adult are okay. The sprites aren't my favorite.

noticed my post on first page was deleted for some reason. *shrugs*

Edited by Condorflight

The adult are okay. The sprites aren't my favorite.

Same. This is the second event that's happened to me in .

Edited by Wahya

Oh I arrived late to the drama apparently. Let me recap in order to be sure of everything:

TJ relased the new S.Valentine's egg that took more than usual to hatch. The hatchling where ~Removed~ until few moments before the Adults could grow.

The sprites were substituted with different ones: user posted image and user posted image and these definitive ones look more like an earlier stage of the dragon itself, instead of the final one.

This is my guessing, I may be wrong so don't take it for granted!

I think that the current set of sprites that is in cave now was the original one, made by some "unknown" spriter.

Some time later Edwardelricfreak and Tazzay made the version that has been taken off, adding shades and basically finishing it, as it usually happens to abandoned sprites or even just when the author requests help.

However it has been a long time I personally saw Edwardelricfreak (she was involved with one of my Dragon Request, too), it may be that she didn't granted the usage of the new sprites so TJ's only choice was using the old ones.

Whatever the reason this happaned I hope they will get a visual update, and maybe even a story update in the future, made by all the spriters involved with both new and old sprites, in order to keep it fair and balanced.

I am not fan of how these dragons look right now, they seem an earlier development stage of what was first relased more than a substitute made out of scratch to "save the day".

If these spriters where done in hurry in order to have something ready to show than I congrat the autors, because a sprite is not easy to be done so quickly! However, I repeat, I don't feel it's the case.

Not bad the colors per se, I waited so long for a S.Valentine dragon that is not pink/white/red/fuchsia that I will gladly accept anything xd.png

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I was wishing that there was an option to insult Burger King. Insult the Beaver King for wearing the Burger King crown and say that does not say Beaver King. laugh.gif I imagine the subjects to be surprised and will lead to an uprising when they realise that they are serving not the king of beavers but burgers.

@Lantean: FR was far from the first place dragons carrying pearls were introduced. China beat them to the punch thousands of years ago. The dragon / pearl association is too strong to be anything but open smile.gif Shimmers are also mentioned as carrying their eggs and having them mistaken for pearls.

I thought there might be a credits post and I try to give the second part to the first artist who posted so the credits aren't buried in the thread. ^^

While I share the general dislike for the new stage ones (the first ones were so dynamic and cutehe and unexpected and I loved them instantly) I actually like the new stage twos better?? They're more dynamic than the first stage twos, which is a better match for what I liked about the initial stage ones..

The adults are beautiful though, so well done to whoever whipped up the replacement sprites! Wish we could have seen the original adults too but overall I'm happy. Lpvely colours on the adult!

I do hope the description gets an update though. Maybe something a little more enigmatic than another "true matchmaker" - maybe they could have been dragons who give gifts to people who don't have a Valentine? They carry a pearl after all. And itlike would fit the theme of how we could cheer up the spider in the eventsame. wub.gif

Can everyone just chill out? Good heavens, you guys. Yes, complaining is fine. go ahead and dislike them all you want, but do we really need to go so far as to call the new sprites a "joke?" Like, come on! The spriters must've been on the biggest time crunch ever, I'm surprised they scraped something together at all.

Do you really think that unless there was no other choice, TJ and others would have swapped out the sprites? I highly doubt people were just sitting around thinking "ooooh, what can we do to anger as MANY DC users as possible?" Seriously!

I think the old ones were really cute. I think the new ones are very pretty.

Can we stop attacking the people who made them?

Edited by EmmaD333

@ADP:

Oh, I didn't intend to suggest that the idea of a dragon carrying a pearl around was a FR invention, or copyrighted (is that a word?) in any way.

It probably is just the fact that seeing a dragon that's supposed to be carrying a pearl in their claws for their whole life (more or less) was something I met first on another collectibles site - and that image stuck terribly, mainly because I wondered how the hell they managed to live with something as impractical as that (basically being three-legged due to having one "hand" constantly full, or using their precious pearl as a stepping stone).

Placing the pearl between (or atop of) the antlers would have been more original (and practical) in my perception, that was what I wanted to say.

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

Can everyone just chill out? Good heavens, you guys. Yes, complaining is fine. go ahead and dislike them all you want, but do we really need to go so far as to call the new sprites a "joke?" Like, come on! The spriters must've been on the biggest time crunch ever, I'm surprised they scraped something together at all.

Do you really think that unless there was no other choice, TJ and others would have swapped out the sprites? I highly doubt people were just sitting around thinking "ooooh, what can we do to anger as MANY DC users as possible?" Seriously!

I think the old ones were really cute. I think the new ones are very pretty.

Can we stop attacking the people who made them?

While I disagree about the new sprites being pretty, I agree with everything in the post. And even if I dislike the new sprites, I will never call them a joke. That's rude and belittling the work of the artists.

The old ones are cute and pretty. As for the new sprites? laugh.gif I find them dashing!

Man...kinda disappointed now.

I do like the adult sprite. But the old hatchling sprites were so much better and I was actually excited to see what they looked like when I saw them. Because obviously it was going to look different.

Not so much anymore.What the heck is going on .Did the dragons get swapped? Seriously?

So many things to be frustrated about these days on here. smh

And to the people getting mad at the negative response to this:

If someone would actually shed some light on the situation, instead of keeping everyone in the dark as usual, then maybe it would be easier to understand? Just a thought. Keeping a player base in the dark in ANY game without giving a reason at all to a change is not good, at all. I can't even think of another game that makes changes but doesn't say when/why.

Could have at least put in "These will be placeholder sprites. *Gives reason why.*" :<

The only thing that confuses me about the adult description is the floral scent. Do they just smell like flowers or is this an attractant that's tied to their matchmaking like the heartseekers' chocolate smell?

Also, a name explanation would be great--not that there is anything wrong with it--I would just like to know what it means. Cervos/Cervus are deer, and these are not very "deery" anymore.

Admittedly I'm not a huge fan of the new hatchlings (S1 especially- I don't know enough about art to figure it out, but something just looks off). The adult is very pretty though, although I didn't realize that that white thing was a pearl at first, I thought maybe it was some kind of flowered tail. I was really excited to get another deer-based dragon and I don't see that at all in the new sprite, apart from maybe the antlers. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was curious about why this happened, but I doubt we'll get any sort of explanation except off-site rumors.

That being said, if this was indeed a rush job, it's very good considering how little time they had to do this. Even if I'm a little disappointed, the adult is probably my favorite Valentines dragon so far, and it looks like it'll look fantastic in lineages. Hopefully we might get some little tweaks a little later on, but in my opinion, the adult, at least, is very pretty.

I'm not an in-cave spriter, but if any ever of my sprites got in but then had to be removed - even if I myself requested their removal - I would HATE for their replacements to be imitations of my design. Furious. Obviously I cannot speak for the spriters of these dragons, but I think to replace them with a clone is not ideal.

I also couldn't resist...

user posted image

Okay, I have to admit, I really don't like the new ones. They're much too dark and hard to see the details of. Still, if it has to be done, it has to be done.

By the sounds of it, the name and description were intended for the original dragon, and weren't changed when the dragon itself was.

I completely missed the drama as per usual but just here to say that the Adult Dragons are really lovely & a great shade of purple (purple valentine's dragon yes!! <3)

The new hatchlings... mhm. huh.gif