TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

"shut up about things you can't change, don't ever complain, how dare you not like things"

Now I remember why I left this hellsite for two years...

This isn't in the usual class of things people don't like. If it is indeed something really serious like breach of copyright - there is nothing that CAN be done. I wasn't here for the Great Fog, but if it might otherwise lead to something like that - is that really what you'd prefer ? It's quite likely that it cannot legally be discussed in public.

Regret for the earlier sprites is one thing, but calling the new ones - apparently produced in record time- crap is uncalled for. Spriters here do a great job; without them there would be nothing.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Lavinia

Posted on Feb 17 2017, 03:40 PM

I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't even notice the sprites had changed until I read the latest posts in the News thread. I feel so observant.

Thanks to tj and all artists involved with both sets of sprites for their efforts.

lol same here and I personally love the dragon

Do you know what the original adult looked like? I would imagine if someone provided a replacement they probably had like... seen the thing. I'm not sure hatchling appearance is as big a deal as adult appearance

No - I absolutely agree. We cannot really claim to be totally attached to a sprite we had never even seen.

I LOVE the adult. Even if its pearl isn't in its antlers ! Especially the gold tracings on the wing. (and the description has changed to carrying a pearl....)

Edited by fuzzbucket

I mean I too prefer the old sprites, especially s1 but eh, at least the new adult is pretty even though i don't like the new s1 and s2. I just wish we were given an explanation for it, thats all.

Edited by Scarlet

eesh, like i mean theres a reason behind the change, but man these look reeealy wonkey. the first thing i see is that the new s1 hatchling has "anxiety eyes" like its terrified about something going to eat it at any moment.

user posted image

these also look horribly choppy and not shaded well to make any feature on them stand out, so they just look like a mess of blob pixels over each other.

kind of reminds me about that whole issue with spyros old vs new bug eyed design.

user posted image

i really hope they spiffy these up over the next few days/ weeks a bit so there not so clunky.

I admit I kinda liked the old babies more but my god the adult is lovely, such a lovely shade of purple and its not the typical red/pink dragon we get for valentines. Imma hug mine when they grow and give them names befitting their prettiness.

Honestly I am in awe of whoever re-sprited these guys... blink.gif Sure, I really thought the old sprites were adorable, and I was excited for them, but I also love these guys too! So many Valentine dragons don't really look "dragonish" to me... It's nice to see a big, intimidating Valentine dragon! xd.png Very unique looking at the past ones.

...Wow, new Spyro looks weird. Stop messing with my childhood, guys.

Given how quickly new sprites had to be created and put onsite - I'm sure the new sprites can be touched up if need be.

Do you know what the original adult looked like? I would imagine if someone provided a replacement they probably had like... seen the thing. I'm not sure hatchling appearance is as big a deal as adult appearance

I would imagine the hooves still would have been there as that would be a rather strange change from a hatchling with hooves to a adult without hooves. And the hatchlings look like the Desipis which is not cool to copy another spirters sprite design. And in the description it says the pearl should be on the antlers.

I understand there was pressure to change the sprite last minute but changing the dragon and not just the sprite is not ok, its normal that me and a lot of others would be so upset. If they would have stayed true to the design and just made new sprites i'm sure most would be ok but just want to know why.

Really we need a better explanation, maybe someone used a design from somewhere else and then TJ found out and that's why we needed such a big change. If that was the case then all my upsetness would be begone and I would completely understand.

But with only a sorry the design had to be changed it leaves us all very upset.

The new adults are absolutely spectacular! I love, love, love the purple and gold combination. These are easily one of my top favorite breeds now. I can't wait to start breeding them!

Awh, im sorry this had to happen but oh well

People need to stop whining about it and insulting the artists, after all, its just a pixel art on the internet, chill. smile.gif

Aw, I was really looking forward to these new dragons growing up when I saw the original hatchlings, but the new hatchlings are freaky and there's something off about the adult that I can place... unsure.gif The wings and colours are great though.

HOLY POOP THE ADULT wub.gifwub.gif

Thank you spriters & TJ! ^.^

Edited by coo_

eesh, like i mean theres a reason behind the change, but man these look reeealy wonkey. the first thing i see is that the new s1 hatchling has "anxiety eyes" like its terrified about something going to eat it at any moment.

user posted image

these also look horribly choppy and not shaded well to make any feature on them stand out, so they just look like a mess of blob pixels over each other.

Thank you for mentioning the "anxiety eyes", the eyes were bugging me but I couldn't figure out why.

Look, if the sprites had to change, they had to change. And I'm not going to complain that they changed. I *am* going to point out the many, many flaws on the new sprites, and say that I *wish* we had a "fog" like back in the day, instead of pushing forward sub-par sprites.

"shut up about things you can't change, don't ever complain, how dare you not like things"

Now I remember why I left this hellsite for two years...

Thing is, there's ways and ways to express an opinion or offer criticism. I honestly doubt that this change was made lightly or for no reason - goodness knows, if I were running this site and knowing how touchy the userbase can be, I'd be jolly sure before throwing out a change like this. I think I preferred the old hatchies too, but since I never saw (and never will see) the adult... well, the heart can't mourn what the eyes never saw. Also, if this was a rush job, it's entirely possible that we'll see minor tweaks and smoothing to the new sprite set in due course. The artists here have immense pride in their work and I'm sure they'd want the best possible representation to be the final version.

While I still prefer the original hatchlings and wish I could have seen the original adult, the adults we have aren't bad at all. The feet are rather odd looking to me and I preferred the softer colors of the original hatchlings, but I really love the pattern on the wing. I think it's quite pretty. Like I said before, the new sprites we have aren't bad at all. They aren't my favorite, but they aren't my least favorite, either. Even though these dragons don't really appeal to me overall, I know how much work must have gone into them and I greatly appreciate the artist(s) and how hard they must have worked on them. If it was a rush job, wow. While they do have a few issues, they're incredible if they had to be done on short notice.

Edited by prismatika

say that I *wish* we had a "fog" like back in the day, instead of pushing forward sub-par sprites.

same here, i think i would have preferred the fog. instead of worrying about the possibility that these mite end up being the official sprites.

I would imagine the hooves still would have been there as that would be a rather strange change from a hatchling with hooves to a adult without hooves. And the hatchlings look like the Desipis which is not cool to copy another spirters sprite design. And in the description it says the pearl should be on the antlers.

I understand there was pressure to change the sprite last minute but changing the dragon and not just the sprite is not ok, its normal that me and a lot of others would be so upset. If they would have stayed true to the design and just made new sprites i'm sure most would be ok but just want to know why.

Really we need a better explanation, maybe someone used a design from somewhere else and then TJ found out and that's why we needed such a big change. If that was the case then all my upsetness would be begone and I would completely understand.

But with only a sorry the design had to be changed it leaves us all very upset.

Okay, two things.

First off - while I think the webbed feet are a little odd, the original hatchling did not have hooves. There were very clearly claws on the S2. The limbs were thinner, but they were clawed, not hooved.

Second - 'copying another spriter's hatchling design?' There are plenty of hatchlings that share poses, it's inevitable with how many dragons we have at this point, and Shifu just posted about the comparison and seemed more amused than anything else.

And yeah, I'd like a better explanation just because curiosity, but I can extrapolate well enough from what we've been given, and - it may be something that TJ or the original artists don't want to disclose.

I trust this had to happen, and in the end, that's enough for me. The reasoning doesn't change the outcome.

First off - while I think the webbed feet are a little odd, the original hatchling did not have hooves. There were very clearly claws on the S2. The limbs were thinner, but they were clawed, not hooved.

ok but didn't one of the spriters confirm their back legs were hooved

Awh, im sorry this had to happen but oh well

People need to stop whining about it and insulting the artists, after all, its just a pixel art on the internet, chill. smile.gif

Stop insulting the artists, I definitely agree on. That's just plain rude and even someone as outspoken as me would never go that far.

But people are allowed to complain if they don't like something as sudden as a sprite change. Yes, we had them for only 3 days, and yes, the adults are quite lovely, even I admit that, but people are allowed to express disappointment if they feel the need to, so long as it's within reason and not being rude/cruel.

Edited by CharonDusk

ok but didn't one of the spriters confirm their back legs were hooved

Did they? I must have missed that.

[snip]Also, if this was a rush job, it's entirely possible that we'll see minor tweaks and smoothing to the new sprite set in due course.  The artists here have immense pride in their work and I'm sure they'd want the best possible representation to be the final version.

This.

I for one really, really like the adults (purple! yay!). wub.gif Thanks TJ and all spriters (those we know of and the mysterious ones ^^) for your hard work!

Interesting. I think I remember the original spriters posting and being excited about their work on site, which doesn't sound like someone who is aware they would be replaced soon. And if it was a copyright issue, I'd think the creators would have been notified beforehand. That makes me wonder if it was an issue of "these look too similar to my sprites" or "this design was used on another site" or something else art related. The changing of the concept from very deer-like to more dragon-like, but still keeping the colors, small design choices, and lore reminds me of similar cases where art was accused of being too similar.

Regardless, the new adults aren't too bad. The straight lines on the one leg bug me just a bit and there's a few things that look like they need a final polishing, but I like them fair enough. I'm happy with a VDay dragon that isn't pink and/or red for a change. Heavily deer-inspired dragons aren't really my thing, anyways.

The adults are so beautiful!

I liked the original hatchlings more, if I may say so, they were delicate and smooth, I will miss them. Also, this whole last minute change is so weird.