TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

Exactly what I have a problem with...

aside to a better quality sprite replaced to a lower quality (and really, even if I myself made that replacement, 'd be harsh on it if not harsher)

I can kinda understand the current quality as I'm pretty sure these where rushed to be done within I'm guessing 1 to 2 days as I believe it would have been changed before hatching if TJ was aware of what ever the problem was before. I think its something that happened after.

But if they had said ''sorry about the quality we where on a time limit! Things will be fixed up later!'' Then I'm sure we would not have so many commenting on the quality. And would wait until it was fixed up better before talking more about it.

Communication is very important x.x

Edited by maylin

I am rather curious as to the art credits, are they the same or different or a new person added on top of the old?

That would literally defeat the purpose of replacing it in the first place, I'm pretty sure?

Because everyone like me who "missed it" might be really, really curious because everyone on this thread keeps talking and complaining about it.

Questions like yours don't really serve any purpose. If TJ & DC artists really didn't want it to be seen, maybe they shouldn't have been so sloppy and replaced the sprite earlier, before the hatchlings grew up or put in a placeholder image. I stand corrected! Everyone's talking about the before/after for the hatchlings.

cyradis4 - "The hatchies were updated BEFORE TJ's grew up, no one here saw the adults."

Edited by kiyoura

TL;DR-

All the sprites were replaced due to "unforeseen circumstances".

Ah, I see. While that is unfortunate because the originals were so elegant, I can understand if there was an issue that couldn't be helped.

The new S1 sprite is a little off-putting, but at the same time if there was only a very limited amount of time to create a replacement it's not that bad. It just takes some getting used to. It's still a dragon, still purple and still looks cute.

It's like with Popplio from the new Sun and Moon pokemon games. People made fun of it and gave it a ton of hate, but look what it evolved into at the end. That plus its stats make it the best of the three to choose from on a competitive standpoint.

This new sprite should be seen the same way. Things happen and while it doesn't look as shiny or graceful as the previous version at least we get some new and different and it still holds up well.

*cackles* Absolutely, amazing. The old one was gorgeous. How could they change it?! *joking*

---

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the released sprites had to be changed. I apologize for any inconvenience that may cause, though thankfully it has no chance to impact lineages, since all dragons are CB and none have bred yet.

{snip}

Comparison:

user posted image --> user posted image (Provided by Aurigena)

user posted image --> user posted image

Even the egg sprite was modified a bit

user posted image New Egg Vs. Old Egg user posted image

{snip}

Make your own judgements.

I can't see the dragons on my computer for some reason so I had to look on my phone. These are probably my favorite holiday dragons in a long time. The neck looks a bit thick but I love how whimsical they look. I do hope that we can have a pink male valentine dragon next year. It seems all the pink ones we get are female and the non pink ones are male. It's nice to see a female one in a different color.

I wasn't so sure about the colors but they really mind me of a fairy tale dragon; very fitting with the event we had...even though I'm having a hard time getting through it. The sweetlings are still my favorite valentines dragons but these might be a close second.

I can kinda understand the current quality as I'm pretty sure these where rushed to be done within I'm guessing 1 to 2 days as I believe it would have been changed before hatching if TJ was aware of what ever the problem was before. I think its something that happened after.

But if they had said ''sorry about the quality we where on a time limit! Things will be fixed up later!'' Then I'm sure we would not have so many commenting on the quality. And would wait until it was fixed up better before talking more about it.

^ This.

Because everyone like me who "missed it" might be really, really curious because everyone on this thread keeps talking and complaining about it.

Questions like yours don't really serve any purpose. If TJ & DC artists really didn't want it to be seen, maybe they shouldn't have been so sloppy and replaced the sprite earlier, before the hatchlings grew up or put in a placeholder image.

The hatchies were updated BEFORE TJ's grew up, no one here saw the adults.

As for ever seeing what they would have been.... I seriously doubt anyone will. The most likely reasons for an update like this means there are many legal issues involved.

Cheers!

C4.

Well, I'm pretty sure no artists are going to step up and say anything because with the circumstances, who'd want to touch the situation with a ten-foot pole?

This is one very rare time I'm going to go all out. Probably going to hurt feelings, and for that I apologize, but my feelings are valid, too.

I named my babies,  before the change, Trippy Fuzzbutt and Limpy Fuzzbutt. The elegant, streamlined, very graceful look of the baby made me squeal with joy, and I love giving humorous names to my best breeder lines.

This change, though. I'm sad to say I find it quite ugly. The pose makes me think that poor lump is going to fall over with its too big head, and the feet look too small to support its size. The colours are harsh compared to the streamlined original, and looks very pixel-y. The blue eye just seems dotted there.

I'm sorry if this hurts feelings, but this is my honest opinion... I don't like it, and unless the Adult is far and away better, I probably won't be breeding them. sad.gif

EDIT: Just saw TJs adult. Pretty, but not exactly what I was hoping for. It's... Inelegant, to me.

Quoting myself here, NOT to hurt feelings, but to better highlight what I dislike about the new sprites in the hopes that since I'm not alone in this, maybe we can sway some change by being more clear.

What I LOVED about the original baby sprites was that the horns were big, yet slender and elegant. The pose looked like a bounding deer, tail flagged like a whitetail in flight. The rear feet were dainty hooves. The overall design was light, airy, sleek and extremely elegant.

What I greatly dislike about the new babies is the head seems over large, large enough to tip it's balance forward. The lines are harsh and pixelated, and the colours far too saturated. The light blue eye seems more pasted on than an actual eye. The feet are feet, not hooves, and are so small on the overall larger baby that it doesn't seem capable of supporting any weight, let alone the weight of a dragon. And..no antlers? This is for the S1 New baby, as I've not seen the S2 yet.

As for the Adults, they're pretty, but to me the neck seems too long and meaty, which makes the smaller rump look like something was chopped off. The tail is cute, believe me, but doesn't seem in keeping with the look of the head. There are antlers, but they're tiny in comparison to what was being hinted at with the original baby sprite.

Overall, I *like* the adults, but I don't love them, and I greatly dislike the S1 hatchling now. I saw dainty. I want dainty. They're far from dainty. Many sadness here.

EDIT: Saw S2, looks familiar, love the pose. Still not keen on the colours, or the horns, but the S2 does look quite nice.

Edited by PaintdGryphon

The hatchies were updated BEFORE TJ's grew up, no one here saw the adults.

As for ever seeing what they would have been.... I seriously doubt anyone will. The most likely reasons for an update like this means there are many legal issues involved.

Cheers!

C4.

Oooooohhhhh.

So everyone was complaining about the hatchies, not the adults. Ah. Ok, I see.

Well, I'm pretty sure no artists are going to step up and say anything because with the circumstances, who'd want to touch the situation with a ten-foot pole?

I meant more if TJ posted that, like ''We needed to replace the old sprite and we wanted it done before they grew up so new spriters where rushed! We know there are things that need to be fixed and they will be fixed up at a later time!

Or something like that

Oooooohhhhh.

So everyone was complaining about the hatchies, not the adults. Ah. Ok, I see.

Yep.

ALL the complaining is about the egg, s1 and s2 hatchies, none of which we had for more than 2 days. That, and what people were thinking the adults would look like. But I've never found hatchies to be a good barometer of what the adults would be. Quite the opposite! Usually if I like the hatchies, I don't care for the adults.

Cheers!

C4.

I can't see the dragons on my computer for some reason so I had to look on my phone. These are probably my favorite holiday dragons in a long time. The neck looks a bit thick but I love how whimsical they look. I do hope that we can have a pink male valentine dragon next year. It seems all the pink ones we get are female and the non pink ones are male. It's nice to see a female one in a different color.

I wasn't so sure about the colors but they really mind me of a fairy tale dragon; very fitting with the event we had...even though I'm having a hard time getting through it. The sweetlings are still my favorite valentines dragons but these might be a close second.

But.... Sweetlings are male and pink? Except for the goths, obvs. o_0;

I am honestly content with the sprite we have. It is another dragon to love on and rather impressive given the time span.

Though looking back at Tazzay's posts I am even more curious and confused as to what happened so suddenly. The sprites were originally made for 2013 then adjusted right before valentines days so what happened to cause this disruption? I know we may not get a very detailed answer but the switch was a tad bewildering at first.

Should mention though, the resemblance to Solstices was unintentional - EEF and I made these girls back in very late 2012/early 2013 for that year's Vday. It was only this year that we brushed them off and gave them a touch up to submit them for a final time to be a Vday dragon

I don't really mind at all the change, but tbh the s1 & s2 give me that "Halloween-ish" look in them.

The adult spriye looks pretty good. I really really wanna breed them with a GoN rn xd.png

However, I am wondering how the original adult sprites looked, but now I kind-of understand the poses, I had a hard time before (even though I thought it was a two-head when I first saw it).

I really wanted another different color for a Val dragon and here we have it, a purple, beautiful & interesting dragon that surely looks dope af in many many maaaany lineages!

ok but didn't one of the spriters confirm their back legs were hooved

I have just been through this entire thread.

No. So....

(Also I happened to have saved the images. They CERTAINLY didn't have front hooves, at least.

From Tazzay a few days ago:

Posted by: Tazzay Feb 15 2017, 01:52 AM

Both EEF and I took to nicknaming them "flufflebutts" from their fluffy deer tails c:

They still have fluffy tails.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Quoting myself here, NOT to hurt feelings, but to better highlight what I dislike about the new sprites in the hopes that since I'm not alone in this, maybe we can sway some change by being more clear.

What I LOVED about the original baby sprites was that the horns were big, yet slender and elegant. The pose looked like a bounding deer, tail flagged like a whitetail in flight. The rear feet were dainty hooves. The overall design was light, airy, sleek and extremely elegant.

What I greatly dislike about the new babies is the head seems over large, large enough to tip it's balance forward. The lines are harsh and pixelated, and the colours far too saturated. The light blue eye seems more pasted on than an actual eye. The feet are feet, not hooves, and are so small on the overall larger baby that it doesn't seem capable of supporting any weight, let alone the weight of a dragon. And..no antlers? This is for the S1 New baby, as I've not seen the S2 yet.

As for the Adults, they're pretty, but to me the neck seems too long and meaty, which makes the smaller rump look like something was chopped off. The tail is cute, believe me, but doesn't seem in keeping with the look of the head. There are antlers, but they're tiny in comparison to what was being hinted at with the original baby sprite.

Overall, I *like* the adults, but I don't love them, and I greatly dislike the S1 hatchling now. I saw dainty. I want dainty. They're far from dainty. Many sadness here.

I agree with a lot of this. I think these new sprites really do require a few tweaks, they're lacking 'something' in the way of elegance that the originals had.

I can't breathe this is kind of really funny to me because I had picked up a new valentine with the code OLD8U and apparently it was predicting that people would be angry and wanting the old sprites back.

What have I done???

And then I realize that these guys are females, and my avatar of creation is male...

I'm going to do it guys I'm going to breed OLD8U and tUNDO together. The ultimate prophecy pair.

Yep.

ALL the complaining is about the egg, s1 and s2 hatchies, none of which we had for more than 2 days. That, and what people were thinking the adults would look like. But I've never found hatchies to be a good barometer of what the adults would be. Quite the opposite! Usually if I like the hatchies, I don't care for the adults.

Cheers!

C4.

Thanks for explaining the situation! Knowing that the "old adult sprites" were never shown due to whatever issue - I think the situation was handled fine. (I thought the old sprites WERE shown and then replaced and then people complained, and so I guess I felt left out and if this was the case, this was a badly handled situation... it would be like, here, have this but then I'm going to take it from you).

Anyways, my two cents - I prefer the old hatchlings, but the adult sprite is gorgeous.

What I greatly dislike about the new babies is the head seems over large, large enough to tip it's balance forward.

Just like human babies, whose heads are disproportionately large; they form 25% of the baby's height; by adulthood it's down to a sixth. Just saying...

I have just been through this entire thread.

No. So....

(Also I happened to have saved the images. They CERTAINLY didn't have front hooves, at least.

Well, then a post must have gotten deleted or something, because I distinctly remember one of them saying that the dragons had both hooves on their back legs as well as a tuft of fur on the chin, and my memory is very, very good.

EDIT: Saw S2, looks familiar, love the pose. Still not keen on the colours, or the horns, but the S2 does look quite nice.

This is a very, VERY good post and one that I hope the spriter(s) will take into consideration. I'm certainly hoping that these are not the finale versions of these sprites, I hope there will be tweaks made. I hope very hard that there will be tweaks made.

I still would have preferred a "fog" period, in which new sprites were tweaked and made better and we had "fogged" sprites, to this putting forward rather sloppy looking sprites.

I can't breathe this is kind of really funny to me because I had picked up a new valentine with the code OLD8U and apparently it was predicting that people would be angry and wanting the old sprites back.

What have I done???

And then I realize that these guys are females, and my avatar of creation is male...

I'm going to do it guys I'm going to breed OLD8U and tUNDO together. The ultimate prophecy pair.

xd.png Nice plan.