Andalusian

Option to view updated sprites differently

Yeah... except that I have sympathy for people who are complaining because they spent years creating something on a game and it has just gotten deleted when it didn't really need to be, and I DON'T have any sympathy for people who are complaining because it's hard for them to catch rares so they think nobody should get to. I think the former group has a valid point and the latter group needs to suck it up, sorry. *rueful grin*

Hey, I agree with the sympathy factor. Pity that those two groups tend to heavily intersect.

I sympathize quite less with the "blackmail style" posts i.e. "Gloom and Doom on you", "The sky is falling", "You'll lose a ton of money if you do not do as I say", "I'm going away with all my toys and will tell all my kindergarten friends to not play with you either". The only reaction that kind of stuff gets from me is a ton of giggles followed by checking my contacts list and sending them the most alluring "Join DC" email I can think of.

I also feel sympathy, but that doesn't mean that we should consider suggestions that would ruin things for even more people who are currently unaffected.

(although, now that I think about it, I would be massively pissed if my 2nd gen shimmer from silver was ruined because the prize owner chose the old silver)

I'm kind of confused by this. Wasn't your shimmer's parent an old silver when you originally traded for it? Why would you consider it incontrovertibly ruined if its breeder decided to keep the same parents you originally traded for?

You do have a point that my idea would end up ruining some prize lineages. This didn't originally seem like such a big deal to me because I already have a bunch of previously really nice prize lineages that were completely ruined when two different people decided to kill off their prize dragons higher up the line than mine (one of them after I directly traded with him for his dragon's offspring, at that.) It already happens, but you're right that this would make it happen more often. So... maybe not, I guess.

It just seems really depressing that in order to get a cool new dragon, we've been forced to throw away an old dragon that was actually really pretty good too. This is a collection site; we shouldn't have to sacrifice an old dragon breed if we want a new one. There should really be some way we can keep the old stuff we collected AND get shiny new sprites too.

Edited by tjekan

I did not trade for it as an old silver because I like old silvers, but because "silver" as an idea is a good pairing and rares make good mates for prizes. If the silver is improved the pairing is improved. If the mate for the CB prize is kept as an old silver I would have to either keep my mate for my dragon as an old silver (and I do NOT want to keep old silvers on my scroll) or ruin the lineage. And the silver may have been used in other breedings, which complicates things further.

And as to your last paragraph, that is why I believe if anything is done to solve the upset over sprite updates it should be something like the original suggestion in this thread that solves the "wrong sprite" problem without upsetting new people like pretty much every suggestion that would make the old sprites real would.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I don't see individual retroactive changes as a good solution, either. I liked my old lineages better than the new lineages, but I'd still prefer the new lineages over some mismatched patchwork of old and new silvers.

And you may as well strap in and get comfortable with people being very vocal about things they don't like, because we won't simply stop bringing up complaints when we don't like something.

The old sprites may never come back, but we may be able to prevent having things ruined in the future by more drastic changes. The artists may have the right to change their art as they see fit, but we have the right to express that we disagree with this practice and that we find essentially ruining potentially months or years of work in an instant to be very unfair. We won't stop. Ever.

~Removed~

You act like every sprite is on the chopping block of getting "altered" in the future. TJ himself said that most of the sprites that have been altered are the ones over 5 years of age. Considering the art clash that this site has, it is logical to update the old sprites that were produced longer ago at a lower standard to the higher standard that was created over years. All everyone is complaining about are the Silvers, yet Two-Heads were given the exact same treatment. Why? Their old sprites drastically differ from their new counterparts. Compare both side by side. You will see anatomy fixes, shading fixes, and pose changes. You can see the pose changes the most on the hatchlings. Am I mad? No. Am I raging about all of my "ruined" lineages? No. Why? Because I can accept that the art change needed to be done to the sprites and as a person that has experienced change over and over and over again in other games, I can accept changes with a blink.

Trust me. I've seen some seriously game-ruining changes just in my experience playing World of Warcraft since Burning Crusade, alone. You won't believe how many years I lost in just that game. Am I mad? No. Why? Because I had fun for all of those years and the new content that replaced the old was just as fun as the last. Well, except Draenor. But that is aside the point.

One idea could be to decrease the general rarity by a bit (not so it's raining silvers mind you, but just a little more common) and to have both sprites from the same egg. [...] There could be a one-time option to change your dragons back to the old view, which would help deal with lineages. [...] Or that all dragons generated before the update are reverted to the old and going forwards the change to get the new sprites would in place.

You wanna ruin lineages? Because this is how you ruin lineages.

~Removed~

It would be a pain about lineages across multiple scrolls, but the same risk could be run any time if a person kills a dragon and puts a tombstone in that nice lineage. Thus I still prefer the idea that there be a toggle switch.

Except you might as well call this ruining a lineage via tombstoning. If an idea like this happens, I will not hesitate to throw all of my dragons through an RNG and kill whichever dragon it tells me to. If you're gonna ruin my lineage like this, I'm gonna make sure you have plenty of tombstones sitting in your's.

That's not necessarily true. Implementing personalized gameplay options for each end user is WAY more resource-intensive than site-wide changes like releasing a new breed and allowing a variable to be added to a dragon. I'm only a low-level programmer and even I know that much. He still might not find it worth the time investment, but it's not the same idea he's already rejected.

You're a low-level programmer, so you're not thinking about all of the ins-and-outs of a decision like this. You also completely ignored the point I was trying to make and took what I said literally.

If you create a new breed like this, then what about those of us that approve of the new changes? We're SOL. Or it becomes a new breed and it completely floods the page. And at the same time, it is a "new" breed that looks exactly like the "old" breed. And let's say we avoid all of that by creating a one-time change. Then we change up, right? Not that simple. Now you have lineages with the "new" dragon checkered in and out from user decision. Obviously, these "new" dragons can't breed to create the "old" unless it makes sense. Then it's a mess. A bigger mess than the one originally created. And what about how the artist felt? Obviously, they didn't like it and wanted it changed. They don't want it published anymore. Are you going to make those artists be unhappy? OK. Now they don't want to produce art for the site anymore because they feel they don't have rights.

So let me ask you again. If he doesn't feel the cost-to-reward ratio isn't good enough for an option on client-side, then why would be make things even more complicated? Once again, I bring up the fact that Old Pinks were a "Old Pinks" change for a reason. Because of the colossal poopstorm that came from it.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Why can't we have both sprites, old and new, for two different breeds?

This makes no sense because it goes completely against why they're being replaced at all. It's either old or new, but please, please, please not both because that defeats the purpose.

BUT, more important, the majority of the customers is quite happy with the free service that is provided. I'm one of those, very happy with the way updates are introduced and the way obsolete and wonky sprites are replaced with what I think are better ones... And I would not be a happy puppy if, because some complain, those improvements were taken back. There are always two sides on a coin and, if I insist on posting, is because I think all voices must be heard. And I'll keep playing and inviting a bunch of friends to join. Others will be doing the same. So I doubt that the site will see less revenue or that the add revenue will be suffering. TJ has the numbers, we do not, so I trust that he knows very well, for sure better than any of us, what he is doing.

I would like to ask a question about this. How do you know that the 'majority' is happy with the update? I am genuinely curious as to how you know this. Not all DC players are on the forums, but even if we assume that they represent the majority of DC players, has there been a poll or something on this?

I hang out on three different DC fansites, one of them being the forums, and so far, on the other two fansites, I've seen much less enthusiasm (more like, barely any) towards the update than on the forums. Maybe the ones that do like the changes are not speaking up, or maybe there is another reason, but in any case, I do not find that argument convincing; that those of us who are upset by the change is the 'minority' (so we should just accept things as it is).

Even if this statement is true, I do not think that gives anyone the right to tell the 'minority' that is upset to stop complaining. As many people have been saying above, this thread was kept open by TJ and the admins. Maybe there is not other meaning to it, and they just forgot about it, but in any case, I believe people should have the right to post how they feel about things. Perhaps a different solution can be found.

Another thing I wish to stress, because I am seeing something along these lines mentioned by various people, is that art is subjective, meaning that what some people may consider 'ugly', others may not. It is one thing to state you think it is ugly - it is an entirely other thing to state that others think it too. Not everyone has the same perspective on what looks good or bad, and I find it insulting when someone claims that everyone must think that certain sprites are/were ugly. Even if I agree that something does not look good, I would not say that everyone else must think so as well.

There will be people who consider the old sprites 'prettier', and there will be people who think the new ones are much 'better'. That is fine as long as those people say that they find them to look good or bad, but please do not go ahead and assume everyone would consider something under the same standards as you do.

I for one am still upset with the changes, but I am trying to find a way around to compromise, looking at the suggested lineage crop/sharpened(?) views. The sprites themselves are pretty, now that I have gotten more used to them, but I still find myself cringing at some of my lineages. Changes to the lineage view would help greatly.

I find the idea of having the possibility of either sprite (like an 'alt' right?) from an egg interesting, but I can't say that I am all for it. I wouldn't mind it, and I'd probably end up taking it as a (positive) challenge to make lineages, but I feel it would cause much more of a disturbance among players.

As to everyone having the choice to keep the old sprite or the new one, I think that would cause even more problems than the 'alt' option. I prefer creating lineages starting from the CBs, so that I have every single dragon in the lineage on my scroll - and in this case having the choice would not affect me. However, in cases where I had to trade with others for a checkered lineage, and which I believe is the case for many people who make lineages,... I shudder to think of what the resulting lineage would look like. I already get upset when people decide to tombstone dragons, which happened to my 6th-gen silver&blue-nebula lineage, and having everyone choose a different sprite according to their preference would make my checkered lineages look like, well... okay I don't know what they would look like, but I would not like it.

Just to put in a small opinion here: I always liked the Silver sprites for their grace and beauty, a breed trait as stated by their description, and something reflected beautifully in their sprite. With the new sprite changes (Right after I got my first two CBs, lol) those qualities are represented even better. Sure, they don't have the same DC feel about them. But it's the artist's right to create an image that better represents the dragon, and in this case I think they have done so.

Yeah, they've lost the feel of the sprite. I agree with that.

But it's not our decision OR OUR RIGHT to disagree with the artist's work that, as pointed out earlier, we agreed was used with their permission.

I understand that many people have made beautiful lineages with the old dragons. I understand that these lineages have been changed. But here's the thing; the dragons, with their new look, better represent their breed. Why can't we look at a different representation of the same thing with the same kind of respect and joy we did before?

It's the same breed. Both sprites are beautiful. But the new one is more beautiful to the artist who created it, and we have to accept that.

I would like to ask a question about this. How do you know that the 'majority' is happy with the update? I am genuinely curious as to how you know this. Not all DC players are on the forums, but even if we assume that they represent the majority of DC players, has there been a poll or something on this?

Just go to this thread Sprite Update (Round Two) and count how many people posted "gorgeous!" "wow" "omg" "the silvers looks great" and so on.

The majority of the users who have forum accounts approve the update. It's a minority who are in this thread complaining.

My 2 cents: it's done. The new silver is gorgeous. I'm really happy in have all my silvers updated to this new one with full lineages of new silvers.

Edited by danicast

the original thread is closed, but i like to say something to the update too and hope, here is the right place.

~Off-topic post removed~ This is a suggestions thread, not a discussion thread to discuss the update.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

@SharonLilly:

For what concerns the 1st paragraph... see Danicast's answer.

For what concerns the 3rd paragraph... I did not tell anybody to stop complaining. In particular because that's counterproductive. For the same token, I will keep posting my thoughts.Too many times I saw threads full of posts against a suggestion or event to the point that it seemed to be the prevalent opinion. Mostly because the pro-people wrote short and to the point posts and deserted the thread afterwards. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite amused by "I'm getting my toys and going away" and I feel that "I'm staying and bringing more toys" is not an inadequate response.

I really like tjekan's suggestion. Yes, some lineages may be ruined by people's choice, but isn't that where we are now? Some people have had lineages ruined by TJ's choice and lost years of effort. At least if we had a chance to revert, there would be the possibility of reclaiming some of what was loss.

As far as the "strap in and get comfortable" comment goes...No. I am not a sheep and there for am not required to just quietly accept when someone does something I don't approve of. The issue may not get resolved, but future ones may be avoided. By ignoring people's concerns, the only thing that occurs is a rise in player dissatisfaction. Some players will leave because the game no longer fulfills their entertainment needs. Some who have been long time supporters of the site become disenchanted with it, and may still play out of habit, but they no longer encourage new people to come to the site. If this trend continues, you begin to see less add revenue and the site itself begins to suffer.

A wise admin will always treat customer concerns seriously and attempt to find a workable solution instead of brushing them off with "suck it up" styles of thinking.

I've literally seen smaller games torn completely apart by this sort of thing.

The staff allowing certain users ridiculous privileges, or making changes that screwed over a number of users who then complained... And were banned for it, or outright ignored, leading eventually to the collapse of the game. Typically I've seen it happen in smaller games due to inexperience in leadership, but that doesn't mean one should think "Oh, I have a well-enough established game, I don't need to bother with paying too much attention to upset users."

This doesn't mean changes like this would put DC under--but it is a thing that, when continued too long or pushed too far, has in fact cost several smaller games and communities (and, in fact, actual large businesses) their existences. It doesn't mean TJ has to do what all the users say--but he should be aware of user opinion and should be able to take it into account when planning updates.

Except you might as well call this ruining a lineage via tombstoning. If an idea like this happens, I will not hesitate to throw all of my dragons through an RNG and kill whichever dragon it tells me to. If you're gonna ruin my lineage like this, I'm gonna make sure you have plenty of tombstones sitting in your's.

That's quite alright. It won't harm me in any way. You see, this threat is absolutely no different than the risk we all run each day in using dragons with ancestors on other scrolls in a lineage. At any point in time a person could decide to do something like this. Or spite-kill things. There is a very specific reason that the lineages I care about most are those that have all the dragons on my own scroll.

If you create a new breed like this, then what about those of us that approve of the new changes? We're SOL.

I'm afraid that, if that happened, you'd simply have to "strap in and get comfortable." You know, the exact same advice you so readily gave to those of us who dislike the change and are SOL.

But it's not our decision OR OUR RIGHT to disagree with the artist's work that, as pointed out earlier, we agreed was used with their permission.

Actually, it is our right to disagree with their choices--and to voice that disagreement. They have the right to do as they wish, but we have the right to disagree with it.

Nowhere in the rules does it say that users are barred from having an issue with a choice made on the site and voicing that issue.

Edited by KageSora

I am totally against the option that people would be able to change how other people see lineages. I think if people would have the hability to choose between old sprites or new sprites this should only take effect on their own scrolls. If I want to view all my silvers as the new sprite then my lineages should be viewed with the new sprites. Other people's choices should not appear in my scroll.

Just go to this thread Sprite Update (Round Two) and count how many people posted "gorgeous!" "wow" "omg" "the silvers looks great" and so on.

The majority of the users who have forum accounts approve the update. It's a minority who are in this thread complaining.

My 2 cents: it's done. The new silver is gorgeous. I'm really happy in have all my silvers updated to this new one with full lineages of new silvers.

Thank you...I agree.

1) Count how many people didn't like the update (or, even simply voiced SOME unhappiness with it, even if they liked some things about it)

2) Compare the negativity shown to the amount shown in the split update

Even if it wasn't a majority, it was a sizable chunk of players not worth ignoring. And the fact that updates like the splits went over far more smoothly shows that this update did miss the mark more for most of us then did some of the others. While this could partly be because silvers were so popular already, I think the main reason is that they look so DIFFERENT, style and color wise, than the previous ones. See Nilias for proof of how this drives people crazy. Nilias were never a super popular breed and people were still pretty sad about the update.

I don't mind the new sprites themselves. They are pretty in many ways. I've also seen some great new lineage ideas with them. However, all the new stuff doesn't replace the fact that most of my CURRENT stuff now doesn't look the way it used to to my eyes, and, in fact, looks uglier to me--not because the new dragons suck, of course, but because I planned and worked hard on lineages based on significant differences in the old silvers that are just gone now (like the harder outlines and less vibrant color). I'm going to finish a few lines simply because I already assembled most of the pieces, but after that those lines are going to sit unworked on.

That's a big part of the issue for most of us, and one a simple change view option would work so nicely with. I do think, though, that it's ok for some very small updates (like those done to the SWs, female purples, and female electrics) to not be counted as updates for filter purposes though, as correcting very minor mistakes or fixing incorrectly submitted uploads is different then doing a really huge style changing overhaul.

While I'd be ok with the OP's suggestion (I don't support it fervently, but I see no harm in it either), I can't say I like the alternatives being offered.

I'm afraid I'm very much against going the Bright Pink route with the Silvers, with both Frills and Old Pinks we have enough exclusive sprites already (CB Prizes, Alts and Hybrids probably go into this category too)... besides, because I like my checkers perfect, this would make all my CB's almost useless for any further project I might wish to start unless I specifically wanted to create a original Silver based line. Meaning I would have to go through the Herculean task of getting a new set of CB Silvers again. *shudders*

I'd also be really upset if my Silver lineages suddenly consisted of a bunch of different sprites - while some of my lines don't look as good as they used to, this would damage them beyond repair. I realize that I'm taking chances every-time I trade for a mate for my line, but there's a difference between having a relatively small chance of someone offing their dragons and ending up with a tombstone and having a drastic sprite change almost guaranteed.

Also don't really fancy the idea of 50/50 change of getting either the original Silver or LL's Silver sprite, Metallic breeding is a big challenge already and this would up the challenge further. It also wouldn't change the fact that we'd all be starting with LL's sprites now that the change is already in place so we'd only have 2nd gens of the original Silvers.

I also believe TJ left this and the lineage tile open because he wishes to hear different opinions and maybe find some solution to keep as many of his players happy as possible. smile.gif

Edited by stagazer_7

I cleaned up some spam from this topic. As long as a suggestion is open, it up to be discussed. If you think that mod intervention is needed, please use the report function and let us know. If you are not a mod, please do not try and do our job for us.

I highly support something being done. A player-based "I want to see only X Silvers" that would apply to all huge changes like this sounds like the best idea so far. It would allow both parties - the happy and the disappointed - to enjoy their preferred sprite. I don't support picking between the two sprites for every single Silver that exists. That would be nice in theory but in practice it would be very chaotic.

Personally, I still don't know how I feel entirely. The new sprites are absolutely beautiful as artwork (and I love them as a strictly artwork pieces) but they're just not Silvers. They're so painterly they barely look like pixel art anymore and don't really fit with the other dragons. I don't even think they fit with Xenos because they're just so soft. They look like the WIP of a piece of art waiting for the background, not like in-game DC dragons. On top of that, some of my favorite hatchlings are gone forever. They used to look so peaceful but now they're just menacing.

On the other hand, I think the new sprites might look good with Silver Tinsels, so that's nice. I've been trying to get a Silver line going so I'm glad all that effort wasn't for absolutely nothing. But still, the eggs of other Silver lineages I own just aren't the same anymore and I don't like most of the outcomes.

Seeing this change and the reactions to it has gotten me really worried about dragons that might get changed. I only got into lineages and such just under a year ago but I've been working hard on an absolutely huge one. Its song based and the sprites I picked are perfect for it, especially in pose. They look like they're being over-dramatic and singing. Both the sprites and lineage view show it well and I absolutely love it. That's why I picked them. If either of those sprites changed it would ruin my lineage and all of my work. I'd probably leave. One of them is quite old so now I'm actually really worried. I'm afraid to play the game and put in more time/effort in case that gets destroyed down the line. That's not how you want your players to feel.

I also didn't realize DC allowed artists to entirely change things that have been in the game for years just because. This knowledge is going to have quite an effect on how I play and how much time I spend here from now on. I'm all for tiny tweaks, fixes, and small revamps (updating quality and such) but if every effort to preserve the original pose/lineage view and general color scheme isn't made... I don't know. It really doesn't encourage one to play when the entire game is collecting the art and spending frustrating months/years to make a pretty pattern breeding it. Artwork you have provided for a game that is open to the public for playing is not portfolio work. Its not just your feelings about the art, its thousands of players' prized dragons, painstakingly bred lineages, and years of love.

I can't imagine how the people who've been working on Silver lineages for years feel seeing their hard work just gone. I'm genuinely happy for the people that like the change but a lot of people are very unhappy and that's a big deal.

Edited by shortaxel

I'm just glad we didn't have lineages back when essentially every single sprite in the game changed completely. xP Sorry, shortaxel's post made me think about the fog and what might have happened if we had lineages and the time to spend months/years working on them back then. x3

Now, some reassurance for the people who are afraid of future lineage damage:

For the most part, it's only the early sprites that need to worry about updates. I am certain that's what TJ meant by his "5 years" and older sprites that have been/are most likely to be replaced. IMO, it's not a rolling 5 years as people seem to think based on the way they use the phrase. Newer sprites are made to a higher standard and if anything is done to them at all they will most likely be tweaks, not overhauls. Like the ice update that nobody ever knew happened, literally. It's not in the wiki because nobody noticed anything changed. It's old and flawed sprites like my Guardian that would get overhauls like the splits did, and they're the ones that need them. For the most part, however, changes would be more like the splits, which went over quite well.

Silvers are the massive exception to the rule because the old silvers never *really* fit the breed description and had some sad anatomy issues. No other breed would have any reason to have the color of the sprite change, which was the main thing that harmed lineages.

If, however, you are still worried, choose the best constructed dragons to invest your time in. The ones with no anatomy flaws and skillful shading are essentially update-proof. There's no real reason to update them, and so they are quite unlikely to get an update. (You can never say never, so I'm not going to)

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Now, some reassurance for the people who are afraid of future lineage damage:

For the most part, it's only the early sprites that need to worry about updates.  I am certain that's what TJ meant by his "5 years" and older sprites that have been/are most likely to be replaced.

This is not a reassurance if you have favored lines that feature old dragon sprites.

f, however, you are still worried, choose the best constructed dragons to invest your time in.  The ones with no anatomy flaws and skillful shading are essentially update-proof.  There's no real reason to update them, and so they are quite unlikely to get an update.  (You can never say never, so I'm not going to)

The problem with this idea is that not everybody is an anatomy expert or an art critic who will be able to judge that a piece needs updating to fix broken or out-of-date aspects. There's also the fact that artists frequently opt to ignore realistic anatomy in favor of conveying an idea or stylistic reasons.

This also does nothing for those who've already invested the time and effort.

Like the ice update that nobody ever knew happened, literally. It's not in the wiki because nobody noticed anything changed.

Just popping in to clarify this- the Ice update didn't prove an issue with users because it was done so fast after the release as opposed to being unnoticeably small. I can estimate that it was done within the same week it was released, because the first image to appear of it on the wiki was 27 Nov, 2009 (official release date being 22 Nov, 2009) and that one already had the fix included, so that's an unfair example to use smile.gif

That is true, Kage. But you didn't quote the part that said silvers are an anomaly in the form of updates, and it's silvers that have caused this fear. Most updates of individual sprites would not change the nature of lineages in a significant manner since they are of details that would barely show up in the shunken lineage tiles. I have learned from the previous updates and I hope the other artists have as well, meaning future updates are hopefully less likely to disrupt lineages.

You do not have to be an art critic or anatomy expert to be able to pick out the dragons that are less likely to have drastic updates, or any at all. Those that are less likely to be updated have more "realism", they have more detail in the sprite and the shading. If nothing else, look at the before and after of a few updated dragons and you'll get the idea of what to look for.

If you are specifically trying to pick dragons that are not going to ruin future lineages, a feature that could be a warning sign is if the dragon has only one adult sprite for both genders. Way back when, it was only silvers that had different sprites for male and female, and some dragons have been gaining dimorphism since. Even dragons that were released more recently with only one sprite can gain dimorphism, as the Nilias showed. Not all dimorphism has to ruin lineages, although it is always a risk depending on what feature was used to make the lineage "work" to the maker. If it's just the color of the dragon, dimorphic sprites are likely to use the same palate as the original. Although the balance of different colors could change, for example if the color of the wing membrane is different and the wings are more or less prominent.

Bluesonic, I don't remember the update being that quick, but what do I know. xP

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I personally like the update, the silvers fit in more now and at;east LOOK silver, before they just looked a dull grey to me, and I fell a few times for the "Oh look a silver egg! oh wait it's a white one" thing, least I will be able to tell now I grabbed a silver instead of a white, and the weird kneecap on the female is gone hallelujah! My eye was instantly drawn to that each time I looked my my silver ladies >> the males least look more comfortable now rather then being squeezed oddly with a broken neck.

I'm sad I missed out on the frills and I'm also sad I'll never be able to get a black sweetling, they looks so cool imo if it was possible I'd hoard them as much as I could. But alas I doubt I'll ever see frills or black sweetlings on my scroll :c admittingly don't care about the old pinks they look pretty ugly -shrug-

I can understand where some are coming from, if anyone is familiar with Dragon City, there was this dragon called the pure dragon, and its concept fitted the name very well, it looked like a unicorn dragon and very awesome. Then at some point they changed the dragon to look well....aweful, and well continues to look like that to this day I still miss the old pure dragon design but can't be helped I suppose

Though I'd be on board with this suggestion if it was like a toggeble option so people who want to see the old sprites will only see it on their account and those who want the new sprites can leave it off

Personally, I am torn on this issue. On one hand, I understand and respect the user's dismay about the changes to their lineages and to the images that they grew attached to. I really do get why that is a problem, and I empathize with the frustration that comes along with replacements and updates.

On the other hand, I really like the updates, and for most (if not all) of those that received the treatments, it (in my opinion) was wholly necessary. I really don't believe that an update to the silver could have gone much differently since the motivation behind it was to get the sprite to reflect (heh, pun) the original intention of the breed. I think the shininess was to be expected, especially for a breed said to "glow". They're suppoed to stick out, imo, because they're so dazzling. (Though, whether members think that of the updated sprite is not my place to say) But I know how I see the sprite does not necessarily extend to the views of others, though I wish it would because I think they are so lovely. Whenever people post lineages that have been "ruined," I can't help to think how fantastic they look!

There is such a wide range of tastes through our userbase, so I know the desire to create a compromise is strong and I would love to contribute in a way that will please or at least placate most of our members. Unfortunately, I don't think this is the way. This suggestion basically defeats the purpose of the entire update or any that will come in the future. The suggestions that I think would fit the best for scenarios where dragons are updated so drastically would be the "museum" idea in the encylopedia, or the full-stop distribution of old sprites in favor of the new ones. I know there are additional issues with both of those suggestions, but from what I can understand of the situation, those ideas represent the best solution to me. Just not this one.

><;

Edit: Oh, and for the future, for artists to update according to what the sprite already looks like. I know this has been repeated non-stop, but I agree that something along the lines of how Odeen did the splits is the best course of action.

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign