Andalusian

Option to view updated sprites differently

I don't think people are disrespectful to the artist(s) of the new silvers. I've seen how people are trying their best to avoid hurting the spriter's feelings, but we also want to express our feelings.

What's wrong with some suggestions? Some people like myself are truly nostalgic and love the old silvers. Maybe one day we will get used to the new silvers, but even a version for us to have a moment of the past would help to soothe the sudden change.

I respect and appreciate all of your hard working as artists, but as a player I also spend vast amount of time, and I love the old silvers. Personally, I feel hurt when I see some people want them to vanish and not be displayed anywhere.

Edited by CuteDragons

I vote a yes on this suggestion, even if it has strong opposition from the higher ups.

Personally, I -LIKE- the idea of sprite updates, but there's only so much you can update it without overdoing it. The problem with the recent updates, I think, is the sudden change in style overall. People like their lineages, and they have various things to consider. Pose. Color. Style. I imagine I'd be really frustrated with pose changes and dimorphism that looks too different from each other (I'm looking at you, nilias!). And then imagine people who are like, neck-deep in carefully made lineages that kept them playing for years. It's like invalidating the effort that they've given in choosing those pairings.

Anatomical correctness? Sure. Art quality? Sure. Design Quality? Yup.

I realize that the male silver's neck looks like it broke with that curve and had to be rectified to look more natural. And I agree that the old silvers looked kinda... flat. However, I can't help but to think that there's so much effort that it looks... overdone. As legend said:

Silver Dragons were my absolute favorite! But now that they're all "new and shiny" compared to literally every other sprite, they stick out like a sore thumb, and just seem out of place.

To me, the silvers actually look only a teeny weeny bit short of mini paintings. I understand what Fiona said too. If they're not proud of their art anymore, it feels like an eyesore having to see their really old art around. Same goes for having old sprites hang around with the new ones.

Top of the mind, when someone says "Sprite update", I think of the ones that look more basic than others. Swallowtails. Or Albinos. I've seen people toss Reds and Seasonals somewhere on the first sprite update page, too. We're at a point in which new players will see Silvers and say "shiny" and find very few dragons to match their art style (I tried Heartstealing, but it still looked kinda weird). Pretty sure if I saw a swallowtail on the front page, I'd say "Wow nope this site looks SO 90's" and go "Wow this site is awesome!" if I see a xeno.

I understand what Fiona said, but I don't necessarily agree on a whole.

The new sprite update stylistic changes looks like a blatant slap of change, and I think that, while it would be respectful to the artists to have new art that represents them better, I think there should also be the same kind of respect to its members to at least help them EASE into the change.

I saw TJ's post. Sure, it takes effort, but the fact that there are already a handful of established players and even more players voicing their disagreement makes me think that there will be a sort of compromise done between both parties if an option to view old sprites would be implemented. Like sure, updates doesn't happen frequently. Maybe only to a maximum of 10% of the total sprites are going to be updated. However, some of those breeds are insanely popular and loved for what they were.

Honestly, if there was to be a compromise of anything, I'd like to think that this suggestion could take the "skin retirement" approach. Give everyone options for a limited time, whether a user likes the old sprite or the new sprite. Once they pick wanting the new sprite, they won't be able to switch back to the old sprite. Those who initially had the old sprites, however, will be able to keep it until they want to.

Or if you really, REALLY don't want to because artists > normal members, at least put up an option to still view old sprites for a LIMITED time. While this doesn't solve the problem, at least it helps the members ease into the shift. And give them a few days to ogle and cry over their destroyed lineages. Hey, this doesn't even have to be an option. Just leave it there for a few more days and-- wait it already changed. Right. Somewhere along those lines, I suppose.

It's a lot of effort, probably less favorable than having an actual option to stay there for people to tamper. But, as a member, I'd like to see a little bit of compromise. I mean, we're TOLD that there'd be changes, but that... doesn't actually PREPARE us for a really drastic change.

effort > drama, i'd pick effort everytime

Edited by Pandalf

I am not a sprite artist but I am an artist. I feel there is a huge difference between putting my best work in a portfolio and putting something out for public consumption in a way that people are going to rely on the SPECIFIC look of the art in completing the goals that the art has been designed to allow them to do. There is a difference between giving my art to someone or a site to use versus acting like that person or site is the keeper of my own art portfolio.

Edited by diaveborn

I am not a sprite artist but I am an artist. I feel there is a huge difference between putting my best work in a portfolio and putting something out for public consumption in a way that people are going to rely on the SPECIFIC look of the art in completing the goals that the art has been designed to allow them to do. There is a difference between giving my art to someone or a site to use versus acting like that person or site is the keeper of my own art portfolio.

Oh my God, yes, this. I am an artist / writer too. I understand attachment to designs, regretting old mistakes, wanting your art to be the best it can be. HOWEVER. DC is a very simple game in which there's not much to do but collect dragons you like and make lineages with them that you like... all based on looks. So when artists update art just because they no longer like it, or feel it could be better, if the change is fairly drastic then you've literally just undone a ton of people's gameplay. I worked hard to get silvers and make lines with them because I liked their old looks, and now all that time has been invalidated in my eyes. I don't care about almost a dozen lineage projects now, and find them honestly ugly to look at because of how different in color the new silvers are from old. Feeling like our work can be instantly undone on an artist's whim is not cool at all. :/

Now I think some updates, like hollies and splits recently, are ok because they so carefully kept the old look and feel. But big changes like the nilias and silvers don't inspire confidence. Why should I work hard making pretty lineages if an artist can submit a radical change that totally destroys the look of what I built? Why collect lots of pretty dragons if they can suddenly look like something I don't like?

As an artist for this site, I'm going to come right out and say I'm completely opposed to this suggestion. It's not out of the question for Shadow Walkers or Coppers to get an update at some point in the future because my skills as a sprite artist grow. That means my standards for art that carries my name also grows. If a sprite carries my name I absolutely want that sprite to be something I'm proud of, not something I quietly wish I didn't have to look at anymore because I don't think it's up to my standards anymore.

And that means, simply, that if something I've done is not up to standards and I convince TJ to update the sprites, the old ones need to vanish. Not be seen at all. In my opinion, that includes everywhere they're displayed. It's not that I don't care about the users who like the old sprites. It's that I hope they have enough respect for me to support me in needing to have something that publicly carries my name be a good representation for me.

I know not all of the sprite updates have been done by the original artists. But if you apply that same thinking to the site as a whole - that it needs to be a good representation of the game - then what has happened falls into the same category.

I completely agree with this. I may not be an established DC Player, or an established artist so maybe I "don't quite understand".

But If I am to EVER put something out ONLINE for OTHER people to see if I want to improve, I don't want the original art out online. If a sprite gets updated online, there shouldn't be an option to just "opt out" of having that update.

For example (based off of experience):

I used to play this online game, an MMO. I had this adorable pet that I loved, a white Tiger, I loved the way it looked and the way it walked and I just loved it!

Turns out the designer of that certain creature wanted to change it because they had improved since it came out 5 years before.

So next update they changed that

Thing with most MMOs is, unless you update the client, you can't play it until you do.

So I had to update and I hated, hated, hated the new image. But it was either I quit playing, get rid of the creature, or deal with it. And I worked hard to get that pet. So I dealt with it. And I wasn't the only one upset. But the person who updated their artwork wanted to make it 1. more appealing to themselves and 2. try to please more people and didn't want any sort of version of the previous image in the game.

Artists improve their work for a reason, and that should be respected. And even if it isn't done by the original artist, look at it this way. TJ wanted the sprite updated for a reason, or the artist wanted it updated for a reason, and the older sprites shouldn't be on the site any longer.

This isn't an MMO. Literally the only thing we have aside from holiday events is

1) sprites on our scrolls

2) lineages

which means a change to one piece of art can affect way more here than in an MMO.

I respect artists, and the fact that they get better. I do not respect the idea that DC should function like their portfolios.

This isn't an MMO. Literally the only thing we have aside from holiday events is

1) sprites on our scrolls

2) lineages

which means a change to one piece of art can affect way more here than in an MMO.

I respect artists, and the fact that they get better. I do not respect the idea that DC should function like their portfolios.

See it didn't effect any gameplay whatsoever. The artist simply wanted to change his design to something more improved after becoming better

But see, without the spriter's, where would DC be at? If there is a spriter, who makes this beautiful sprite, and it gets released in cave. But they absolutely hate it from their own personal view, but they can't update it... would they really want to keep spriting for the cave? Or will they spend a year plus trying to perfect things and all releases get slowed? It isn't their "portfolio" they are trying to get the best out of them or get their best for the people on the site.

Things change, and honestly I feel like some people need to accept that. Not trying to sound harsh or blunt here, but I feel like this whole "opt out" is unnecessary. Not everything can or should be optional.

Edited by Clya

But see, without the spriter's, where would DC be at? If there is a spriter, who makes this beautiful sprite, and it gets released in cave. But they absolutely hate it from their own personal view, but they can't update it... would they really want to keep spriting for the cave? Or will they spend a year plus trying to perfect things and all releases get slowed? It isn't their "portfolio" they are trying to get the best out of them or get their best for the people on the site.

Well, I have to say, in the silver case, it is not the original spriter who made the update. smile.gif

Well, I have to say, in the silver case, it is not the original spriter who made the update. smile.gif

Yes but the same thinking applies:

I know not all of the sprite updates have been done by the original artists. But if you apply that same thinking to the site as a whole - that it needs to be a good representation of the game - then what has happened falls into the same category.

See it didn't effect any gameplay whatsoever. The artist simply wanted to change his design to something more improved after becoming better

Things change, and honestly I feel like some people need to accept that. Not trying to sound harsh or blunt here, but I feel like this whole "opt out" is unnecessary. Not everything can or should be optional.

No, you're missing the point. As diaveborn said, gameplay on DC IS collecting sprites and making lineages. Seriously, what else is there to do here? So when you change those sprites and lineages, you're directly affecting our gameplay. Sometimes in a good way, sure, but sometimes in a very bad way. I liked some of the updates we've had in the past (the new neglecteds are WAY better than the originals, I like male purples more than females, and I love updated golds), but the new silvers look so different to me--not in a good way--from the silvers I worked hard collecting / making lineages around that they feel like totally different dragons, like all the work I put into collecting the sprites I loved before and making lineages that looked good with them has been totally destroyed. I have spent years working on silver x tan ridgewing, shadow walker, and royal blue lineages that now look ugly to me. My gameplay HAS been affected--it's been all but undone, with no way to restore it, either!

Without spriters there would be no DC, but without users there would be no DC, either. Spriters have plenty of time to put their best foot forward in their sprites--sprites on DC take an agonizingly long time to get released, if you haven't noticed. And old sprites made with best talent that no longer is best talent simply have to be accepted. As, again, Diaveborn so aptly put:

I collect dragons and build lineages based on how they look NOW. When you change a dragon I love and lineages I love into something I no longer love, you have just undone all the time I spent collecting things and building lineages with those dragons, because 1) they are no longer something I would've collected / built lines with to begin with and 2) the looks I originally intended to collect, both sprite wise and lineage wise, are literally gone forever. I cannot get back the original sprites that I wanted to collect / work with. And, I'm sorry, but doing that to users is way more unfair than telling artists that, no, once they submit art and it's chosen, it's going to be kept on the site in that form.

Again, I AM an artist, too, I understand attachment, but personal feelings are not good enough justification to rip the rug out from underneath the feet of thousands of players who invested time into collecting / building with things because they liked how they already were.

tl;dr there's not much to do on DC but collect sprites I find pretty and make lineages with said sprites that I find pretty. When all that work I put in can suddenly be turned into something I find downright ugly, I feel much of my gameplay has been outright deleted. I don't think you can justify doing that to users just based on individual artists feeling their old art isn't as good as it could have been. Now, on the other hand, letting people choose between original released versions and updated versions allows BOTH parties to compromise.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

It's that I hope they have enough respect for me to support me in needing to have something that publicly carries my name be a good representation for me.

I'm sorry, I truly am, but I cannot respect the active attempt to remove proof that your work was at one point not on par with your current work by removing all traces of the older work and replacing it with newer versions once that work has been put out for public consumption and has, in turn, not been ignored but readily and actively consumed by said public for years. It is not that I cannot respect you, but rather I cannot respect this practice.

As an artist and a writer, I understand the cringing that comes with having older work going around. The powers that be only know how often I go "Oh my god SOMEBODY STILL THINK THIS ISN'T UTTER GARBAGE?!" when somebody comments favorably or favorites or follows a very old work of mine that's honestly just terrible. It makes me cringe every time it happens or that I think about it knowing that anybody could ever see it as worthy of enjoyment compared to the newer work that I've produced.

But, all the same, I refuse to deny where I started sharing with the public--that serves as a testament to just how greatly my work has improved, as a showcasing of what I managed when I first started putting my work out there vs. what I manage when I put my work out there now. It's a piece of my history, and one that clearly others enjoy.

I would also argue that things like this will be better for the artists--users become angry and upset when they lose their ability to continue working on things they spend a long time on, or when they lose their ability to collect what they enjoyed--both very big things to consider when you talk about a game where literally the only thing TO do is to collect things you enjoy. This results in things like sprite bashing, and lashing out at the artists. Which, in turn, naturally leads to the artists being upset--they have every right to be when their work and they are treated poorly by upset users.

Thus I argue that this would be beneficial because not all users upset and lashing out or saying they think the new ones are unappealing to look at inherently hate the sprite as a sprite.

Myself, I find the silvers to be distasteful as replacements. They alter the look of lineages too deeply and many that I thought looked nice before now look unattractive to me. But the sprites themselves? Had they been released without replacing the old ones, I would have no qualms as taking them as individual works they're rather lovely.

But the problem is that when a replacement comes it's impossible for the new work to be entirely taken on it's own merit, because by the nature of it being a replacement it will forever have the original to be compared and contrasted to. It will not be allowed to stand completely on it's own, because by it's nature it exists only because something else came before and prompted it's creation.

I won't deny that you have the right to remove older works and replace them with new ones. You absolutely have that right, as it is your work, even if I deeply disagree with the practice.

But just as you have the right to replace your older work with new ones, the users have the right to be upset that what they spent months or even years working on is now entirely invalidated because it has been changed into something they never would have spent the time on in the first place. They are justified in their being upset, just as you are justified in being upset that your older work is shown when you've improved over the years.

Yes but the same thinking applies:

It's true that "it needs to be a good representation of the game" as BlueFire said. However the question here again is that is the new sprite better than the old one, as itself, and in the lineage view. We cannot just assume that change means improvement.

Edited by sene

It's true that "it needs to be a good representation of the game" as BlueFire said. However the question here again is that is the new sprite better than the old one, as itself, and in the lineage view. We cannot just assume that change means improvement.

I've no doubt that the new sprites are better than the old ones and, for me, that's more than enough.

I've no doubt that the new sprites are better than the old ones and, for me, that's more than enough.

That is a matter of personal taste, and context.

It is very obvious that many users do not agree that the new ones are better as the sprite for the silvers--if they did there wouldn't be any discussion of this matter nor disagreement.

P sure the artists would say "it's more anatomically sound and more reflective of what was intended for their breed to be (aka glowing)". In that respect, I think they've actually succeeded.

Only that it also went overboard.

(I also have a massive difficulty seeing it on St. Patty's theme, they look like pink/blue streaks now >.<)

P sure the artists would say "it's more anatomically sound and more reflective of what was intended for their breed to be (aka glowing)". In that respect, I think they've actually succeeded.

Only that it also went overboard.

(I also have a massive difficulty seeing it on St. Patty's theme, they look like pink/blue streaks now >.<)

Probably the original spriter did it on purpose for the sake of lineage view - some anatomically mistake, less reflective. But it went perfectly well with others. Just guessing biggrin.gif

Well, it depends. I can't argue the updated hollies and silvers (even though the silvers, to me, have ruined dozens of lineages I worked hard on...) are improvements on the old. But did the nilias need an update? Did the horses really need dimorphism? Were the tweaks to the old GoNs necessary?

And even in the cases where the old art DID have fairly glaring examples of old age (bad anatomy and limited palettes, both things that were accepted in ye olden days because of the urgency of getting new sprites to fix the fog), care still has to be taken with updates because, well, careless updates can invalidate a lot of hard work. As said above, I can't argue that the new silvers look better than the old ones. HOWEVER, they also don't feel as much like the old ones, to such a point that many lineages I worked hard on over the course of years now look wonky, mismatched, or straight up icky in my eyes. Actually, I don't even enjoy looking at the normal sprites much: while they ARE beautiful they are, again, so different from what was there before that I still feel like something has been taken from me. I would've enjoyed the new silvers as their own thing, but they don't feel like a simply spruced up version of my dragons. I keep scratching my head and wondering where all my silvers went, and all these new shiny things came from.

So while I can understand updates for the really, really old sprites, if they happen I prefer they be very controlled. The changes to the hollies and splits, while drastic, kept the original appearance much more faithfully than the new silvers did... all the more disappointing when considering that silver lineages were quite a lot more prevalent than lineages with the other two.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

That is a matter of personal taste, and context.

It is very obvious that many users do not agree that the new ones are better as the sprite for the silvers--if they did there wouldn't be any discussion of this matter nor disagreement.

I think the situation is a bit more complex than that:

- I disagree that many users do not agree that the new ones are better as the sprite for the silvers, the ones that agree are just quite more vocal than the ones that agree

- Some of those (not) many users would not like any update because they are attached to the old ones; sorry there's nothing that can be done about that

- Some of those (not) many users would have wanted a different update (and I will not digress on the whiff of self/interest, jealousy of a couple of those)

- Some of those (not) many users are politely pointing to solutions: i.e. on the way the sprite should be cropped, etc

Summary: after spending time counting responses in the News thread the majority seems to be okay with the update.

Summary: after spending time counting responses in the News thread the majority seems to be okay with the update.

I did not say the majority of users. I said many users. These are not the same thing.

2 billion people, for example, would qualify as many people but would not qualify as the majority of the human population.

Edited by KageSora

I can understand where this is coming from, but I don't see it as a necessity. A few points for consideration/discussion, however.

1. If people set the old sprite right away they have no chance to "get used to" the new one. How many people were really off put by the new golds when they were first released but now really like them? If this had been available then those people with an initial bad reaction would have set it to "old" sprite and may very well have never looked at the new sprites again and never grown to love them. A few off growths of this point.

---1A Have the change only affect the user's view of his/her own dragons (for consistency's sake and to allow for trading for lineage components, make the lineage view of any dragon owned by the user contain the user's preference, even for dragons he/she doesn't own). This would allow the user to keep the dragons on his/her own scroll the way he/she wants and keep lineages intact, but it would also allow the new sprite to grow on the user as he/she views other people's scrolls and lineages.

---1B Don't allow the setting to be adjusted for new updates for a certain length of time, at least a few months. Think of it as a cooling off period for the initial reaction to the simple fact of change. If the user still hates the new sprite after 3 or 4 months or so he/she can change the settings and see the old ones. Ideally this would not be used alone, but would be combined with 1A.

2. Sometimes updates are driven by the group of artists seeing a sprite as needing update and doing it without active participation of the original artist(s), much like the silver update. Kitoxa approved, but as far as I remember did not actively participate (IE, she did not sprite the replacement, either alone or in cooperation with others). This is especially so with a replacement like the golds. However, sometimes the update is driven 100% by the original artist/creator/conceptor. I feel that this type of conceptor driven update is different and should be treated as such. IF there is an option for leaving an older version of the sprite at all it should still be an updated version, with what the conceptor feels is the absolute minimum update he/she is comfortable with (eg, fixes of major problems, tweaked shading, but no serious overhaul and no added dimorphism sprite if one is included in the update; although if the conceptor is comfortable leaving the original he/she can do so). This would keep both sides as happy as is reasonable, with the conceptor comfortable with both forms of the dragon and the essence of the original retained for the "no change" crowd.

--- An example of this second type of update is my own Guardian Dragon. I want it updated desperately and have for a very long time. I am working on an update that will hopefully be as good as the split update with the help of a very talented artist who is very good at making muscular dragons, which by all rights Guardian should be. I would be rather upset if the original, quite flawed, Guardian was still being displayed when my new version was out, but I could live with a minimally updated version that fixed only the most glaring flaws and did not include the more drastic alterations and so would be much less likely to upset the lovely people who fell in love with Guardian the way it is.

Edit to add responses as I read this thread so I don't double post:

I'm not sure this suggestion is the answer to that problem. I would prefer that dragons be considered finished when released and no further changes be allowed after that. But telling us to shut up and get over it is not the answer, either.

Maybe for all new releases, fine. All newly released dragons are going to meet a standard of at least "pretty awesome" if not true "awesomesauce" and are basically not to have any truly glaring flaws. But there was a drastically lower standard way back when some of the breeds were released, and I believe that at least if the original conceptor/artist of a really old breed wants a breed updated then it should be updated. (partially because the only in-cave breed that I can be called that for is one that desperately needs updating, and not just in my opinion. I have seen multiple people state plainly that they "don't collect guardians", which would make me sad if they didn't have a point, which kinda makes me more sad.)

Edited by Pokemonfan13

If you want my opinion -- and I know many of you do not -- I think we should learn to be more accepting of change, to be honest. So yeah, this shouldn't be a thing.

I did not say the majority of users.  I said many users.  These are not the same thing.

2 billion people, for example, would qualify as many people but would not qualify as the majority of the human population.

I know, I'm the one that referenced majority. My reply to you was to point out that people opposing the new Silvers not necessarily think that the old ones were better.

Going back to the topic:

The OP's proposal is about a "flag" that would affect only one particular sprite at the time. I'm 100% against that because that would be a coding nightmare and a maintenance nightmare. Considering cost/benefit, does not make sense and there are so many other features I would like to see implemented on the site.

Personally I would not vehemently oppose a toggle for all or nothing: "off"=you see all the latest sprites, "on"=you see the previous one for each sprite that has been updated. Still... there's quite a lot of "stuff" that I think should be prioritized before that feature.

Every time that one of us points to coding or maintenance efforts, we are told to leave that to TJ. Well... he was quite clear when posting on this thread, exactly like he was time ago when posting about "optional" features. Therefore, at this point, we are just beating a dead horse.

Edited by NotBambi

It is weird that people are talking about accepting changes - can't we make more changes to fix the problem? The problem to me is that no matter how fantastic new silvers look on their own, all the previous lineages look so odd now. Of course people can work on new lineages all the time and find new mates for new silvers, but silver is not easy to catch. Needless to say all the holiday lineages.

In the end I have to admit that working on lineage is a waste of time...we should all go back to real life. unsure.gif

Edited by sene

Going back to the topic:

The OP's proposal is about a "flag" that would affect only one particular sprite. I'm 100% against that because that would be a coding nightmare and a maintenance nightmare. Considering cost/benefit, does not make sense and there are so many other features I would like to see implemented on the site.

Personally I would not vehemently oppose a toggle for all or nothing: "off"=you see all the latest sprites, "on"=you see the previous one for each sprite that has been updated. Still... there's quite a lot of "stuff" that I think should be prioritized before that feature.

Every time that one of us points to coding or maintenance efforts, we are told to leave that to TJ. Well... he was quite clear when posting on this thread, exactly like he was time ago when posting about "optional" features. Therefore, at this point, we are just beating a dead horse.

If TJ genuinely thinks this is beating a dead horse, he will come and close it down. He certainly had ample opportunity to close it down with his posting as that being that.

Yet he left it open, and has continued to leave it open. This may be to allow us to discuss a feature he would be willing to consider implementing, or perhaps to allow users to work out WHY they are upset so that future updates can have a better scope of user feeling to take into account to lessen drama, or perhaps some entirely different reason I can't think of right now.

That said, I agree that flagging individual breeds--which I would love--would be a coding nightmare. It's simply not feasible at this point in time even for consideration. A blanket option would be a compromise.

I could also get behind PF13's idea of a "cooling down" period. Perhaps even just knowing the ability to switch the view is there could lessen the displeasure some users feel over the change.

I could also get behind PF13's idea of a "cooling down" period.  Perhaps even just knowing the ability to switch the view is there could lessen the displeasure some users feel over the change.

Considering how long ago some other features have been requested, there's the possibility that the new Silvers will be old by the time the "cooling down" gets implemented and we all would have cooled down by then smile.gif

Seriously now, I'm not saying that people should just cool down. What I'm saying is that there are alternatives to the OP's suggestion. I like the new Silvers as they are right now. If I didn't, I would be creating a poll to gather suggestions to present to LadyLyzar asking her to modify slightly the sprites. If she is not too displeased after reading certain posts...

Edited by NotBambi