TJ09

2015-09-27 - Encyclopedia Update (and more)

It took me 253 flamingoes to unlock everything, minus the 15 to unlock the picture, so about 240 adults.

Oh my. :C I've only viewed 106. Guess I have a long time to go. xd.png

Thanks for the numbers though! Sets a goal lol.

Oh Goodness! Cannot wait to see the updated sprites <3!

Thanks for the info/ update TJ.

I just woke up to a brief depressed note from someone saying that they feared the sprite updates to the Silvers and Hollies, which had also been my favorite dragons, as once the Golds were, came to look... I guess nothing's safe or sacred, not our scrolls, DC's 'living' history' or the dragons we treasure as they are...

On the plus side, this'll also take the imperatives out of the hard-to breed once-loved lineages I'd been trying to breed in recent years with various dragons and Silvers and Christmas Holly-hunting, so there's that; it'll certainly save a lot of time and scroll space.

At least three of those sad chickens you're counting there aren't chickens yet.

I just woke up to a brief depressed note from someone saying that they feared the sprite updates to the Silvers and Hollies, which had also been my favorite dragons, as once the Golds were, came to look... I guess nothing's safe or sacred, not our scrolls, DC's 'living' history' or the dragons we treasure as they are...

I really really really do not want to offend anybody but... sacred or not, there must be a compromise between outdated sprites and the way DC is nowadays presented to the potential users. Again, no offense, but there is an abyss between (intentionally not quantifying) older sprites and recent ones. I think that TJ is handling the situation with a cautious and respectful approach.

I pray to Arceus that the silver update is only tweaks.

This. I have checked topic with some update ideas and... all of them were interesting, but so much different from silvers I loved.

I really like them without any changes, and I really don't see the reason they should be changed. Add sparkles, change shading if you must- but their form was good in my eyes.

There is nothing I can do so I will just stay quiet when they arrive, but right now I just feel quite sad.

I really really really do not want to offend anybody but... sacred or not, there must be a compromise between outdated sprites and the way DC is nowadays presented to the potential users. Again, no offense, but there is an abyss between (intentionally not quantifying) older sprites and recent ones. I think that TJ is handling the situation with a cautious and respectful approach.

You have the right idea.

If I were a new user now considering joining, and I saw the old Silvers without my attachment and history, next to some of the art on other adoptables sites, which site do y'all think I'd sign up for?

They're not sacred. They're art, and art styles improve and shift.

Just hold yer horses. The updates won't kill anyone.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

ohmy.gif

Wow, didn't see that coming! New sprites for some of the classics? Cool. smile.gif

I am especially interested in the new mobile update; it looks pretty promising biggrin.gif

Oh, and not having a new dragon release for a month will definitely help me catch up with my own breeding projects. I'm sure others are out of breath as well with the plethora of dragons that were released in the last three months or so, phew! blink.gif

Sigh. I *finally* got holly dragons of my own and now they're going to be reshaded.

Yeah, I know that pillow shading is teh evil and all that. But it also makes hollies look rich and deep and velvety and special. I am still depressed that the sunset dragons (previously my favorite sprite) got their lustrous deep purple coloration all reshaded away. Now the same thing is going to happen to hollies. Bleah.

Yay for the new encyclopedia entries, though!

Sigh. I *finally* got holly dragons of my own and now they're going to be reshaded.

Yeah, I know that pillow shading is teh evil and all that. But it also makes hollies look rich and deep and velvety and special. I am still depressed that the sunset dragons (previously my favorite sprite) got their lustrous deep purple coloration all reshaded away. Now the same thing is going to happen to hollies. Bleah.

Yay for the new encyclopedia entries, though!

I have faith that the update will retain the shiny, velvety feel; it wouldn't really be a Holly without it. It's possible to fix the light source without getting rid of that awesome shininess.

I have faith that the update will retain the shiny, velvety feel; it wouldn't really be a Holly without it. It's possible to fix the light source without getting rid of that awesome shininess.

It would be possible, but that's not what happened to the sunsets.

It would be possible, but that's not what happened to the sunsets.

It must depend on POV because I'm not seeing a loss of texture or anything on old vs updated sunsets - just an update so the style of each gender matched each other and so that the details in the male were actually visible. =o

~

Anyway, everyone is allowed an option. Not everyone will like the updates and that's okay. Not everyone likes them as they are now. That's just how the cookie crumbles. I enjoy updates, myself. The only ones I found really shocking were the golds. The new sprites are certainly done with better technique, although it was sad pretty much nothing of the old golds was really retained (although it was a pretty boring pose, so understandable). We'll see what people think when the updates come out, though!

I'm hoping against all hope that the Horse dragon stallions will be red. So the lineages w/the Hellfires & Hellhorse offspring will look uniform. biggrin.gif

While I hope all the sprite updates are fairly subtle, I also know that the art style has moved on, generally for the better. Not gonna lie though, I quite like the older more cartoonish dragons and it's always sad to lose them! But small changes are ok, it's complete overhauls like the golds that I don't like.

My main disappointment (funnily enough) is that there is going to be a new MALE horse sprite. In my head the current sprite was 'male' so I wish we were getting a new female instead!

Any way, I am now even further behind on the encyclopedia than I already was; I really need to work on that at some point...

I pray to Arceus that the silver update is only tweaks.

me too D:

Curious about the new Nilias and Horses, hmm.

My main disappointment (funnily enough) is that there is going to be a new MALE horse sprite. In my head the current sprite was 'male' so I wish we were getting a new female instead!

Ha, me too! It's gonna be weird to get used to!

Edited by glamoursea2

History will be kept alive by the wiki. We can always go there and reflect on how far the site has come in its art evolution and standards, and newer users can look at the sprites they never got a chance to see before. Time marches on and we shouldn't hold the art back if definite improvements can be made.

While I can go to the Wiki, I rarely do unless I'm looking for information. I don't go there to reminisce. I like having the history on my scroll.

The main issue I have though comes in the fact that when a sprite changes it is no longer my dragon. It's not the dragon I caught. It's more of an issue for me when it concerns a rare because of all the time and effort I put into catching it. I was ecstatic when I caught myself first gold. I woke up sick at three a.m. and got on line to unwind. Instead a miracle occurred and I woke the house up. That dragon is special. Sadly, in my eyes she doesn't exist anymore. There is an imposter in her place.

There isn't a thing wrong with the new sprite. It's just not longer my dragon.

I have no doubt that the silvers will be beautiful, but they will also no longer be my dragons.

This is my issue with updated sprites, even if it doesn't make sense to anyone else.

It took me 253 flamingoes to unlock everything, minus the 15 to unlock the picture, so about 240 adults.

I really wish the stats needed to unlock information were more uniform. Some are so small while others are borderline ridiculous. :/

If sprites in the cave were never updated at all from the very first submissions, silvers would look like this right now:

user posted imageuser posted image

Juuuuuuuuust saying.

If sprites in the cave were never updated at all from the very first submissions, silvers would look like this right now:

user posted imageuser posted image

Juuuuuuuuust saying.

I'm glad they were updated in that case blink.gif

I looked at the dragon with the name "Hello World" and its an unltraviolet

that mobile site tho! I can't wait. I use mobile for DC 24/7 and its okay.

Edited by Stellaluna22