TJ09

2015-09-27 - Encyclopedia Update (and more)

Seems I stand corrected. tongue.gif Haven't seen anyone even mention the gold sprite in months so I figured people were finally cool with the new one. Oh well, rip.

When there is no hope, one has to move on, or end up bitter and twisted xd.png

Echoing PieMaster. You don't know if you'll like the updates until you see them.

You're right. I can't say I'll like the updates until I see them. But you guys have been doing such a great job with (/me bows to Coppers, bows to Desipis, etc.) quite-recent releases that only awesome sprites can be expected.

NotBambi, I was actually meaning the people who are upset about the updates. smile.gif

But it's true that if we haven't seen the updates yet. I'm sure I'll like them. smile.gif I know what these artists are capable of.

Fuzzy, if you haven't ended up bitter and twisted after so many years and so much experience, why would you think you could now? tongue.gif

I'm sure the new changes will be great! We have had so many awesome looking breeds come out recently, and I've no doubt the new sprites will be similarly awesome.

NotBambi, I was actually meaning the people who are upset about the updates. smile.gif

But it's true that if we haven't seen the updates yet. I'm sure I'll like them. smile.gif I know what these artists are capable of.

Fuzzy, if you haven't ended up bitter and twisted after so many years and so much experience, why would you think you could now? tongue.gif

I have to get on with this stuff. I won't live that much longer and there's a lot of bitterness I have so far failed to exude...

I know what the artists are capable of,. yes/ But even if they ARE capable of the amazing, I like to keep history alive. I LOVE my silvers the way they are. There was only ONE set of sprites in that thread I could have lived happily with. PLEASE let the update be those. And please let none of them be RADICAL. I am now worried about the Hollies.... LOVE the hangbutt...

I have to get on with this stuff. I won't live that much longer and there's a lot of bitterness I have so far failed to exude...

I know what the artists are capable of,. yes/ But even if they ARE capable of the amazing, I like to keep history alive. I LOVE my silvers the way they are. There was only ONE set of sprites in that thread I could have lived happily with. PLEASE let the update be those. And please let none of them be RADICAL. I am now worried about the Hollies.... LOVE the hangbutt...

The problem with keeping old sprites in use is that, by the very nature of DC as a site, each sprite serves as an advertisement to new players; people post their eggs and hatchlings all over the Internet, leading to potential new players discovering DC. If all they see is an outdated sprite that is misrepresentative of the site's current style and standards, then it could lead to said potential newbie losing interest and deciding against joining. Updating sprites encourages growth of the site and its userbase, something that, of course, is important for any website.

Edited by PieMaster

History will be kept alive by the wiki. We can always go there and reflect on how far the site has come in its art evolution and standards, and newer users can look at the sprites they never got a chance to see before. Time marches on and we shouldn't hold the art back if definite improvements can be made.

Edited by Tehya Faye

History will be kept alive by the wiki. We can always go there and reflect on how far the site has come in its art evolution and standards, and newer users can look at the sprites they never got a chance to see before. Time marches on and we shouldn't hold the art back if definite improvements can be made.

^ Very much this.

So, I'm getting this on the Val '09 encyclopedia page:

http://i57.tinypic.com/919enc.png ~Linked for size~

huh.gif

Still have to unlock Pebbles, Flamingos, Whiptails, Blunas, Ice, and Royal Crimson!

Re sprites: Guess I'll wait and see - not much else I can do! *peers slighly anxiously at Silver/Water Walker lineage*

(ETA: Does that pic look ginormos to anyone else? I'm using my new laptop and I haven't completely made friends with it yet. :/)

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Half empty:

No release in September? I'm so disappointed and bummed out.

* Tries to put together a furious and inspired rant. *

* Collapses midway under the truckload of Lunars and random AP stuff she has caught in September. *

Same. Neglecteds and Terrae still have three rows as well.

Terraes come from three different eggs, so that's where those extra rows come from.

I have reported the Val '09 issue and will go report the neglected issue.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Terraes come from three different eggs, so that's where those extra rows come from.

I have reported the Val '09 issue and will go report the neglected issue.

Thanks Socky. I'm guessing NDs have three rows because there are three different adult forms, but each row shows all three adult forms for a total of 9 adult sprites, so idk.

Still have to unlock Pebbles, Flamingos, Whiptails, Blunas, Ice, and Royal Crimson!

Re sprites:  Guess I'll wait and see - not much else I can do!  *peers slighly anxiously at Silver/Water Walker lineage*

(ETA:  Does that pic look ginormos to anyone else?  I'm using my new laptop and I haven't completely made friends with it yet. :/)

With a setting of 100 dragons per page on my scroll, dragongrrrl (with one more r,) pages 4 and 5 are all Royal Crimsons, and there are several hatchlings, 6 on the first page and another 13 on page 52.. There are well over 300 adults on the scroll. Otherwise, we're working on the same groups.

My Flamingoes are bottom of page 33 and top of page 34. I viewed a bunch but they keep resetting for further unlocks. dry.gif

Next unlock

Raise 5 more adults, or observe 24 more adults.

Stats

Eggs Owned: 21

Hatchlings Owned: 1

Adults Raised: 0

Eggs Observed: 0

Hatchlings Observed: 15

Adults Observed: 226

I've been going through the Encyclopedia, and it looks like I have lots of stuff to unlock now! .... And I thought I was (almost) done with unlocking. Dang. What the heck is up with the Flamingos?? "Next unlock Raise 20 more adults, or observe 100 more adults." 100? Really? This will take awhile!

I've been going through the Encyclopedia, and it looks like I have lots of stuff to unlock now! .... And I thought I was (almost) done with unlocking. Dang. What the heck is up with the Flamingos?? "Next unlock Raise 20 more adults, or observe 100 more adults." 100? Really? This will take awhile!

Oh gosh I know. I already clicked every adult on RubyShoes' scroll and I still need 19 adults. xd.png And that's assuming the next unlock won't require more adults.

I just woke up to a brief depressed note from someone saying that they feared the sprite updates to the Silvers and Hollies, which had also been my favorite dragons, as once the Golds were, came to look... I guess nothing's safe or sacred, not our scrolls, DC's 'living' history' or the dragons we treasure as they are...

On the plus side, this'll also take the imperatives out of the hard-to breed once-loved lineages I'd been trying to breed in recent years with various dragons and Silvers and Christmas Holly-hunting, so there's that; it'll certainly save a lot of time and scroll space.

I'm glad there isn't a September release, lets me catch some Xenos and trade for Halloweens so I can get a jump start ^.^

From the context of what TJ has said, it doesn't seem like the Hollys will be getting super updates... but the Silvers might.

However, several existing dragons are going to be receiving sprite updates over the coming weeks, including (but not limited to):

Horse Dragons (Receiving dimorphism with a new male adult sprite)

Silver Dragons (All sprites updated)

Nilia Pygmies (New dimorphic adults)

2007 Christmas Dragons (Small shading and anatomy tweaks)

*crosses fingers that there won't be super major changes*

I am so glad there is no release this month!

On the subject of Silvers - I am on the fence about this. Personally, being an old-timer here on DC, I feel the nostalgia and hope the changes are not radical and will keep most of the integrity of the old sprite. On the other hand I can understand the need for updated sprite updates to make the site more attractive to new players. I guess all we can do is trust and hope. At least the Wiki page will be there when I want to go visit the old sprites smile.gif

Oh gosh I know. I already clicked every adult on RubyShoes' scroll and I still need 19 adults. xd.png And that's assuming the next unlock won't require more adults.

It took me 253 flamingoes to unlock everything, minus the 15 to unlock the picture, so about 240 adults.