TJ09

2015-09-27 - Encyclopedia Update (and more)

If sprites in the cave were never updated at all from the very first submissions, silvers would look like this right now:

user posted imageuser posted image

Juuuuuuuuust saying.

Yeah, I'mma be honest, I was here before the fog. Sprite updates don't faze me.

If sprites in the cave were never updated at all from the very first submissions, silvers would look like this right now:

Juuuuuuuuust saying.

Hey now, the one on the left is a top quality awesome Final Fantasy V leviathan sprite! What are you trying to say? :'c

/s

but really, final fantasy sprites are awesome.

also everyone should play ff5, it's also awesome.

Edited by birdzgoboom

*shrug* I just don't see it as losing anything. Those Silvers I caught are still my Silvers, and they will always be my Silvers. Nothing can take that away.

FFV is definitely awesome. :3

Edited by Tehya Faye

Looking forward to the new male Horse Dragon sprite.

I'm glad they were updated in that case blink.gif

Looking at all the original sprites from dragcave back when it first started, there are some godawful sprites that were in place initially. Most were replaced due to copyright infringement I believe.

*pulls old sprites out of the dust*

Gold:

user posted image

Black:

user posted image

Bright Pink:

user posted image

Vine:

user posted image

Earth:

user posted image

Magi:

user posted image

Mint:

user posted image

Purple:

user posted image

Red:

user posted image

Stone:

user posted image

Grey:

user posted image

2-headed:

user posted image

Water:

user posted image

White:

user posted image

See what I mean? Updates are good. In some cases, updates are REALLY REALLY GOOD.

There is no need to panic. Sprites need to be updated to fit in better with newer dragons. DC's art style has changed DRASTICALLY over the years if you look at all these.

Although that original red sprite is pretty baller.

In all honesty I am happier with updated sprites. I /love/ the new golds and never really cared for the others and will be glad to see a brand new Silver design.

Juuuuuuuuust saying.

That was a copyright issue. There's a big difference between a necessary update and the current situation.

Edited by Sir Barton

From what I saw of the silver revamp thread, the sprites people were working on (if they are used) are very similar to the sprites we have now, just with tweaked anatomy (to make it more "correct") and better shading.

But we shall see which ones they went with.

I'm not too concerned, I'm sure the new sprites will look lovely.

That was a copyright issue. There's a big difference between a necessary update and the current situation.

Yeah. This. And I also agree about it not being "my" dragon any longer.... The dragons I specifically caught, the *reasons* I caught them, will be gone. Personally, I really, really, really like the silver's poses. REALLY like their poses. If the update includes different poses, they are no longer the same dragons I loved so much. I didn't collect my Silvers because they are rare, I collected them for the sprites.

Am I the only one a little peeved that this awesome Encyclopedia update *didn't* include entries for Lunars, Magelights, Hooktalons, and probably more that I'm forgetting? I mean, if we are going to get Encyclopedia updates, wouldn't it make sense to do all the updates at once? I'm.... Not understanding that.

Some of this is yay, some of this is very nay in my mind... Disappointed that the silver sprites in particular are being updated when there was so much dissension on the topic last time. :/ I picture there being a lot of drama over the next little while.

Yay for encyclopedia updates and the horse drags getting dimorphism, though!

Also, I see some comments about how people should wait and see before deciding, mostly coming from artists... That's all well and good (and makes me wonder if these updates were discussed in the artists forum) but it just highlights that maybe stuff like wholesale updates to sprites should be presented to the community at large to at least make sure that majority opinion is in favour before they're implemented. Especially when it comes to beloved rares like the Hollies and Silvers tbh. I'm pretty easy-going and adapt to change but this has me very wary.

Edited by kerrikins

Am I the only one a little peeved that this awesome Encyclopedia update *didn't* include entries for Lunars, Magelights, Hooktalons, and probably more that I'm forgetting? I mean, if we are going to get Encyclopedia updates, wouldn't it make sense to do all the updates at once? I'm.... Not understanding that.

My guess would be that all the updates aren't ready, and rather than withholding the one's they've finished until all of them are done, we have kindly been given 21 new entries to enjoy. There are many (many) breeds outside of the ones you mentioned that lack entries, and while it's unfortunate that they couldn't all happen at once, I think that would really be asking a bit much anyways.

Yaaaay new encyclopedia entries! And sprites! 8D

I hope that when and if albinos get updated it'll only be a touch-up. I rather adore the way they are now. ;u; Their charm would just diminish by a bit if they're completely renewed. Though I wouldn't be against an entirely new albino sprite. I mean come on.

Edited by Tsukoyami

To my most mind, updates aren't really an issue.. I catch most dragons only for scroll goals, even if I don't really care all that much for the sprites. And as time has gone on, the sprites have certainly increased dramatically in quality. I have no doubt whatsoever that whatever changes are brought about, will be for the greater good. I mean, let's be honest, there are probably, what, 2,000,000+ people that use DC? There are bound to be people that both like, and dislike the new sprites. I won't be getting rid of any of my dragons any time soon, and I doubt many other people will either. The anatomical and shading changes for the Hollies are very welcome, at least on my part. And the Silver update is awesome. I'm not an avid collecter of Horses, but that may change. I'm sure TJ wouldn't put any new sprites in the game unless they were top quality. smile.gif

I believe I mentioned this before in a different thread, long time ago (likely the Silver update thread), but I don't consider a sprite update to be 'replacing' the actual dragon.

Reason? Our 'scrolls' are full of pictures of the dragons we own. Whose to say we don't update said pictures now and then as our drawing/magic ability improves? I know one of my golds, Ramekozu, was quite happy with the update to the picture representing him.

(Ramekozu: Thank you! I no longer look like a dork on there!)

Apparently people don't care if the new sprites are awesome. It's different, therefore bad by default. D:

Edit: Not everyone, by the way. Most who are worried are concerned that they won't like the new sprite, and/or about their lineages...I trust TJ and the artists, though, so I'm not anxious. I bet a lot of the pessimists will be happy with the new sprites once they know what they look like, even if it does end up making a few lineages look worse in the process. ^^ A few will reject it regardless of how pretty they think the new sprite is, though, which is frustrating.

Edited by Tehya Faye

why is everyone being so pessimistic about the sprite changes what if they are super good?

*shrug* It's something of a tradition on DC to make uproar over every major change. The gold sprite change. Teleport. All but one egg in a holiday clutch being auto-AP'd.

If the sprite changes are "good" (keeping in mind that good is very subjective), some people will be happy; some will still complain because nostalgia, because the silvers have had these sprites for X years/since Y player started playing, because they're just not the same anymore. If the sprite changes are "bad", everyone will complain forever and for always. But at the moment, people are just worried about the unknown, and some are unhappy about losing the nostalgia.

I want to see what the new silvers look like.

I understand being worried for the unknown, and feel for people who built lineages that won't look as good after the change. I've never been one for nostalgia, though, so it's hard to relate to that particular mindset. I just end up feeling bad for the artists who really have to deal with those statements; it must be frustrating.

Edited by Tehya Faye

Apparently people don't care if the new sprites are awesome. It's different, therefore bad by default. D:

Edit: Not everyone, by the way. Most who are worried are concerned that they won't like the new sprite, and/or about their lineages...I trust TJ and the artists, though, so I'm not anxious. I bet a lot of the pessimists will be happy with the new sprites once they know what they look like, even if it does end up making a few lineages look worse in the process. ^^ A few will reject it regardless of how pretty they think the new sprite is, though, which is frustrating.

For me, it's not about the sprite itself. I am sure they will be lovely, possibly even more lovely than before. I am more worried about there being a drastic pose change or a shade change. Seeing some of the potential sprites, I saw a few that--while good art on their own--would definitely change checkers already in existence. One is much darker in colour and would definitely make some of my checkers look atrocious, one--though absolutely gorgeous would change the pose enough on the males that I am trepidatious about a few of my lineages. I am very picky about both colour and poses in my checkers. rolleyes.gif On the other hand, that one is so pretty that I would find it in my heart to forgive the change eventually. cool.gif

So it is really a wait and see. It's going to happen no matter what, obviously, so complaining is not much use. However, I can understand being nervous. blink.gif

Yeah, it's really the lineages that will suffer most. Some will be improved, others will look worse, a few will be outright ruined. I'm excited to see which new projects will open up after the change, however, so it's not all bad.

I've also never really understood why people automatically get upset when they hear of sprite updates.

I've been trying to get into the mindset of those who are concerned, but I am struggling. I think the only dragon I could ever see myself being bothered by an update would be if the Whites got updated, and even then I would only be upset if the Whites lost their staff. Though on the note of having the Whites updated, it would be wonderful if they could have more shades of color added eventually.

I mean, after how upset people got (and still are) over the Gold update, I can't imagine the Silver update will be as drastic. I'm sure the adult poses will, at the very least, stay the same.