Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

5 minutes ago, Deltice12 said:

Nope, that link takes me to the dragon not found page.

So like I checked some of my other dragon who have released offspring, and they still work:

Example: https://dragcave.net/view/NFHF5

Also, I found the wilderness link: https://dragcave.net/wilderness

It's just that Jester who is acting weird... It's not like I killed it. I just released it. It was an adult Jester. I'm so confused... 

Edit: Just released this Bauta, and it vanished too...

Edited by Shokomon

3 hours ago, Shokomon said:

It's just that Jester who is acting weird... It's not like I killed it. I just released it. It was an adult Jester. I'm so confused... 

Jesters are hybrids right? If you own its parents, do they still have the defunct link on their progeny?

4 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

Jesters are hybrids right? If you own its parents, do they still have the defunct link on their progeny?

I just went to check - the progeny link is indeed on the parent, and takes you to dragon not found. 

Maybe the hybrids haven't been coded to be wild dragons yet? @TJ09?

10 hours ago, Shokomon said:

Edit: Just released this Bauta, and it vanished too...

31 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Doesn't explain the Bauta, though.

Has anyone else released a dragon lately that they can check?

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Doesn't explain the Bauta, though.

I released a Crimson Flare Pygmy on Saturday 11th at 2:54a.m.

https://dragcave.net/view/UuCo9

Edit: oh I forget the action log :P Should be 2:54am. Maybe it's a bug that happened in a day or two? and I didn't remove it from group.

Edited by D-wing

My action log shows all my recent releases made it to the wild (magi and ghansers).

Weren't there issues with released dragons not removing from groups? Maybe the missing ones still think they're in groups?

Edited by Lagie

50 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

32 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Weren't there issues with released dragons not removing from groups? Maybe the missing ones still think they're in groups?

I happened to release some avatars (hybrids!) on 12th June and I don't think any of them has vanished. I didn't manually remove them from groups, or unname them all, before releasing.

I looked for them on my action log, which shows six releases. If there's something that doesn't show up on the log, it may have disappeared, because I can't remember how many they were. So there is that theoretical possibility, but at least everything seems to be working as usual.

I'm sure this is a silly newb question that has been asked a million times, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer on the wiki. What are the circumstances that cause dragon names to get freed up? Do the names only get freed when the scroll is completely burned, and in no other circumstance? If a dragon is killed or dies, or is released to the wild, does its name still stay taken?

3 minutes ago, Caliscurum said:

I'm sure this is a silly newb question that has been asked a million times, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer on the wiki. What are the circumstances that cause dragon names to get freed up? Do the names only get freed when the scroll is completely burned, and in no other circumstance? If a dragon is killed or dies, or is released to the wild, does its name still stay taken?

I believe names are freed if a dragon is released to the wild, since dragons in the wilderness show their codes not names. Unless something has changed super-recently, a named dead dragon will keep it's name (there's a suggestion in the suggestion area to be able to re-name or un-name dead dragons for that reason).

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

believe names are freed if a dragon is released to the wild,

I can confirm that! Names poof when you release them.

Unless you un-name a dragon before killing it, it stays named.

Not sure about names on burned scrolls.

The name poofing when released makes sense! Thanks for the info. I brought up the burned scrolls because I had seen posts here about significant names being released when scrolls get destroyed/removed, so was curious what circumstances release the names.

Names used to poof from burned scrolls, but I don't believe they do any more. I have some dragons whose parents were on a scroll that was burned many years ago and those dragons lost their names. Some from a scroll burned more recently have kept their names. It may also depend on the reason for burning the scroll. Obviously if the scroll was burned for offensive names, those dragons would not keep their names.

@Shadowdrake, @Fuzzbucket, @Lagie, @purplehaze

Thanks for jumping in to comment. Though, none of the two dragons I released were in groups. I wasn't keeping them so I never added them anywhere.

I just checked. The dragons are still vanished.

Has anyone released any dragons in the past day or two?

3 hours ago, Shokomon said:

Has anyone released any dragons in the past day or two?

Just released this frozen one--it was still in a group and named at time of release, it's navigable both from the progeny page of the parents and from the view link.

On 6/16/2022 at 12:43 PM, Lagie said:

There are certainly some hybrids in the wilderness - at least one Bluna, for instance... I'll try and find one to release....

ETA OK I just released a frozen Shallow water - worked fine.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

There seems to be a viewbomber about-I had to hide most of my hatchlings/eggs due to sickness. How do I prevent viewbombing in the future?

10 minutes ago, Shadowsearcher said:

There seems to be a viewbomber about-I had to hide most of my hatchlings/eggs due to sickness. How do I prevent viewbombing in the future?

Sadly, there is not much you can do. You can change your account to not show your name on your dragons' pages and/or hide your scroll, but those are far from perfect choices and have downsides. Attacks seem to be fairly random, although traders are often targeted. Sorry it happened to you. I hope your eggs/hatchlings will be okay.

On 6/16/2022 at 3:07 AM, Shokomon said:

I just released a dragon, but I can't see it??? Usually, you can still see the view page, but just that the dragon is listed as a "Wild Dragon." (This is the dragon btw: https://dragcave.net/view/Pkz7m)

i just checked the link and can see it just fine! same for the bauta :)

maybe it was some kind of temporary bug? :V

@Shadowsearcher  in addition to fogging your eggs and removing your profile from the egg view links, you might want to login to draghatch if you haven't done so already. that way at least this site can't be used to viewbomb you, though it isn't much...

8 minutes ago, milkbun said:

in addition to fogging your eggs and removing your profile from the egg view links, you might want to login to draghatch if you haven't done so already. that way at least this site can't be used to viewbomb you, though it isn't much...

A useful tip, thanks!

@Shadowsearcher do hope all your dragons recover.

1 hour ago, Shadowsearcher said:

though I'd like to keep my username visible.

I prefer that, too, so I only take it off when I know I am being actively stalked -- which has happened several times for unknown reasons.

I also can't be bothered hiding and unhiding my scroll all the time.

Of course, I am available to check my growing critters a number of times a day, so I usually catch it early when views spike.

It is sad that we have to worry about things like that!

7 hours ago, milkbun said:

login to draghatch

i'm curious, what advantage is there to logging into draghatch? i use it as one of my regular hatcheries. :D 

4 hours ago, trystan said:

i'm curious, what advantage is there to logging into draghatch? i use it as one of my regular hatcheries. :D 

If you log in and secure your scroll with draghatch then no one else can enter or remove your dragons on the site.  One less place a bomber can use against you if you are targeted.  You can use the site without logging in but then so can anyone else.  It's not a site I use much other than as an ER when I need it.  But I keep my scroll secure there so nobody else can mess with my scroll at that site.  Yes, I'm paranoid but then I've been on the receiving end of a bomber's attention before  - for weeks edging into months.

9 minutes ago, Dracaena said:

If you log in and secure your scroll with draghatch then no one else can enter or remove your dragons on the site.  One less place a bomber can use against you if you are targeted.  You can use the site without logging in but then so can anyone else.  It's not a site I use much other than as an ER when I need it.  But I keep my scroll secure there so nobody else can mess with my scroll at that site.  Yes, I'm paranoid but then I've been on the receiving end of a bomber's attention before  - for weeks edging into months.

ah that makes sense.  thank you! :D