Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

1 minute ago, trystan said:

I was asking about dragons that might be included in my Shiny group. :D 

Oops! Apologies, I didn't realize it was related to your question XD I'm still waking up.

Just now, IzzyCat91 said:

Oops! Apologies, I didn't realize it was related to your question XD I'm still waking up.

it's okay.... i'm good at that too.

g'morning :) 

On 11/7/2021 at 3:08 PM, Moriaty said:

I'm curious about Abby too! One of my lines just kind of died : /

*sobs* Mine too.  I don't even want to contemplate how may 2nd gen commons I've gotten from an Abby line that are now defunct... and I was especially looking forward to doing my Luxurious Kiss/Holly tin with my Abby/Holly holly to make pretty checkers again this year.

On 12/5/2021 at 7:42 AM, DragonLady86 said:

It can be influenced, but it will reroll the gender if so. Thus only 50/50  chance of being what it was influenced as before trading. 

I usually put need "female spitfire or influence- able egg" obviously that can be abbreviated if nessisary.

Thank you, DragonLady86! That is what I thought I remembered.

New question, folks:

NM

Edited by missy_

my turn for another question too:

Fire Gems drop in the cave based on the time.  does breeding work the same way as well?  the page at DDF says it's the Ruby dropping during the 7 p.m. hour - if i bred Fire Gems during the 7 p.m. hour, would they also be Ruby, then?

Edited by trystan

What is the best way for figuring out how to do a lineage? I'm not exactly sure what sort I want yet, but... I dunno. 

5 minutes ago, trystan said:

my turn for another question too:

Fire Gems drop in the cave based on the time.  does breeding work the same way as well?  the page at DDF says it's the Ruby dropping during the 7 p.m. hour - if i bred Fire Gems during the 7 p.m. hour, would they also be Ruby, then?

yes

2 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

What is the best way for figuring out how to do a lineage? I'm not exactly sure what sort I want yet, but... I dunno. 

heart of blue has a nice lineage builder https://heart-of.blue/dragcave/lineage there's also one made by 42 that I can't find the link to at the moment. Using these it's easier to plan out your lineages and see visually what gender offspring you'd need

A quick example of a bird shape (without the lineage builder there's no way I can remember what gender of each offspring I need lo

IMG_0832.thumb.jpg.9f92bf30413552c335f0f857a80932eb.jpg

It's just... usually I see people with only two types or something, but... I like mixing my breeds a bit for a few of my dragons, and I don't know if it's as pretty. lol

Like this: https://dragcave.net/lineage/DbPyb

Is there a name for something like this? :) 

3 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

Um, please don't get offended, but in my eyes that would be a "messy" (it's not starting from CBs in one generation and there is no discernable pattern).

But frankly - beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if you like that type of lineages - more power to you! :)

10 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

Hmm I don't think there's a specific name for this kind... Edit: well I guess it's just messy then, I was trying to think if there's another name for this X

In terms of lineages there's another helpful page, though the topic is on lyrical lineage it helps explain a bunch of lineage names and gave examples, maybe you'll want to check that out.

10 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

It's just... usually I see people with only two types or something

I believe you're referring to checkers in this, yes checkers are the most common form of lineage building, but you can do whatever you want with your dragon :D Aside from PBs I really like gradient colors and rainbows for example, two of my lyrical lineages I built (very rare honestly, I don't build things from scratch a lot) are gradient even gen and rainbow heart shape. As long as you like it it's good!

EDIT: here are the links to the two lineages I was talking about: https://dragcave.net/lineage/hIkI1https://dragcave.net/lineage/py740

Edited by Moriaty

4 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

It's just... usually I see people with only two types or something, but... I like mixing my breeds a bit for a few of my dragons, and I don't know if it's as pretty. lol

It’s called “messy.” 😉

I don’t care for messy lineages myself.  But some people do.  Structured lineages seem to be more popular, such as even generation, stairstep, spiral, checker, etc.  To each his own. :iraptor:

Personal note: when I was new to DC, I saw people breeding messies and thought it must be the cool thing to do.  So I did it for awhile.  Until I realized that I really don’t like messies at all.   XD  I realized that the most important thing in a lineage is to breed whatever makes us happy and whatever we enjoy, regardless of what someone else thinks. :)  (I still do have a couple of messies that I breed on rare occasion, mostly for their codes.)

19 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Those are both AWESOME! How long did the Frozen one take you?

I don't actually exactly remember, but judging by the dates it's about 2 months (started collecting batches of missing CBs around April 1, finished entire lineage May 31).

3 hours ago, missy_ said:

I realized that the most important thing in a lineage is to breed whatever makes us happy and whatever we enjoy, regardless of what someone else thinks. :)  (I still do have a couple of messies that I breed on rare occasion, mostly for their codes.)

This! There are sooo many different ways to make lineages, stuff like even-gens/checkers/stairsteps are the more well known 'clean' lineages people do but the possibilities are really just endless. The lineage preview/builder websites can be very helpful in figuring out what something might look like, although sometimes the best way to decide if you like something is to just do it and see! 

4 hours ago, AsymDoll13 said:

Like the others have said, follow your bliss! And don't be afraid to ask for help.

4 hours ago, Moriaty said:

heart of blue has a nice lineage builder https://heart-of.blue/dragcave/lineage there's also one made by 42 that I can't find the link to at the moment. Using these it's easier to plan out your lineages and see visually what gender offspring you'd need)

yes, and Here is 42's builder! I like this one better personally.

3 hours ago, Moriaty said:

Hmm I don't think there's a specific name for this kind... Edit: well I guess it's just messy then, I was trying to think if there's another name for this X

In terms of lineages there's another helpful page, though the topic is on lyrical lineage it helps explain a bunch of lineage names and gave examples, maybe you'll want to check that out.

I believe you're referring to checkers in this, yes checkers are the most common form of lineage building, but you can do whatever you want with your dragon :D Aside from PBs I really like gradient colors and rainbows for example, two of my lyrical lineages I built (very rare honestly, I don't build things from scratch a lot) are gradient even gen and rainbow heart shape. As long as you like it it's good!

EDIT: here are the links to the two lineages I was talking about: https://dragcave.net/lineage/hIkI1https://dragcave.net/lineage/py740

I vote we start calling them "Unstructured" or "Chaotic", messy makes me think of inbred dragons tbh.

Thank you! I think Chaotic describes my lineages that I have now perfectly. lol

My favorite way is to sit on the AP and watch what goes by. People breed lots of pretty things that inspire me. If I see an interesting pairing, I use a lineage builder to build out the lineage and see if it's still a pretty pairing with a full lineage (sometimes things look good when they're just a single 2g, but lose their beauty when you have a full 4 gens built out). I have over 100 lineage projects planned this way - it's almost a problem, because I plan them way faster than I can build them!

See AP finds as starting points and build off them. The lineage I'm most proud of started as picking up someone's 2g Fall x Winter egg in the AP, but it inspired me and the lineage grew from there. Rainbows can work like this too if you find a fragment of color you'd enjoy building from. Spriter's alts and Thuweds also provide good starting points because usually there's already some structure to the lineage and you just have to continue it. Experiment with color and pose variations: #1, #2.

Figure out what looks good to you and what your goals are. Use a lineage builder for this so you can plan and iterate quickly and so you can keep track of what you're planning. I like to build 4g EGs because they fit my needs - 4g is fairly easy for me to build, it's feasible for others to continue if they want to (I breed to the AP a lot), and I like the EG structure. I also do the occasional checker if the colors and shapes are right, and I sometimes like to do stairsteps with holidays so others can easily continue the lineage. Arrowhead, double arrowhead, and other unique shapes like Moriarty's bird lineage take a lot more work to plan, and they're nearly impossible for others to continue, but they're also really pretty.

Maybe I'll try that! Although...

Question~ Are Ameralds and Magi dragons easy enough to find in the Caves? :) I have an idea for a lyrical/poetic lineage. But I can't seem to find any of those, but they'd fit my theme so well. 

42 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

Maybe I'll try that! Although...

Question~ Are Ameralds and Magi dragons easy enough to find in the Caves? :) I have an idea for a lyrical/poetic lineage. But I can't seem to find any of those, but they'd fit my theme so well. 

they're both pretty common in cave as far as I've experienced (I just saw two Ameralds float by during the last five minute refresh, and magi are also easy to find). You might even find CB magis in AP. But you still might need to put some work into hunting for them though - even common breeds don't show up during every refresh, and usually building a lyrical lineage requires more than a couple CBs of the dragons you choose. Just keep an eye on their biomes!

Almeralds are proving really hard for me to find cb, in the AP I find them all the time, but they are bred and so I can't really use them for what I need 😕

Magi shouldn't be too hard.

Oh also, Almeralds apparently are really hard to breed (I think Long Before Sunrise told me that... maybe it was Trystan...anyway, is hard so I hear)

What happens when you breed a GoN to a standard dragon breed that has no associated element, such as Sinii Krai? Will the pairing only ever produce the partner breed, or straight up refuse?

2 hours ago, 0x08 said:

What happens when you breed a GoN to a standard dragon breed that has no associated element, such as Sinii Krai? Will the pairing only ever produce the partner breed, or straight up refuse?

I can tell you for sure they don't necessarily refuse, they can breed with prizes for example. The wiki says they can only produce the partner breed which has been my experience too so far.

3 hours ago, 0x08 said:

If the partner egg can be produced you will get that, no egg, or a refusal. If it can't such as Heartbreakers out of season it will refuse. In your example Sinii Krai eggs are the only kind you could get, yes.