Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

2 hours ago, 0x08 said:

How is Glystere pronounced? :unsure:

Gliss'-tear (rhymes with bear), maybe? (That's how my brain reads it.) Could be gliss'-tear (rhymes with here), though.

11 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Could be gliss'-tear (rhymes with here), though.

That's how I pronounce it in my head, but gliss-tear' (accent on the last syllable). I guess only the spriter/s could say for sure.

Gliss-tear, gliss-tere... They both make sense! Much more than what I had in mind. Thanks. :)

Edited by 0x08

I always pronounced it gl-AI-ster! Like with the long /ī/ sound for the y (think "my", "fly") and then a short "ter" ending for the tere part (emphasis on the first part). This is interesting XD I didn't know people pronounced it in so many different ways. Will we ever know what's the official pronunciation? I have so many head canons for the pronunciations of different dragon names

Can someone help me sort this out? I was looking for a refresher on how to breed Rosy-Winged Solstice.

The wiki entry states “Obtained when egg is bred between 18:00 EST and 5:59 EST.” 

Does that mean breeding between (after) 6:00 p.m. and before 5:59 a.m. Cave Time? 

I’ve stopped seeing images on the hatching sites, just x’s or codes. Any ideas? I can see images on other sites. I can see the images when I’m on the actual site. 

Two questions

1. Are CB Hollies still considered rare? I've seen a couple references to them being rare on the forum, but I got my two without really trying. Am I just lucky?

2. The Wiki says CB Hollies are always male, and all the other ones I've seen have been, but this dragon (link) exists. What's with that? 

Edited by w0rmg0d
grammar

1 hour ago, w0rmg0d said:

Two questions

1. Are CB Hollies still considered rare? I've seen a couple references to them being rare on the forum, but I got my two without really trying. Am I just lucky?

2. The Wiki says CB Hollies are always male, and all the other ones I've seen have been, but this dragon (link) exists. What's with that? 

1. Hollies in general used to be one of the rarest things in the game, because they were the oldest Christmas dragon and older players naturally leave the game over time, decreasing the available CB breeding pool. The update that brought back old holidays to the Holiday biome seems to have largely fixed that; I've never seen so many 2g Hollies on the AP in my life, and I watched a CB Holly sit in the Holiday biome for a solid 30 seconds last night. I think it's safe to say they're no rarer than any other holiday dragon at this point.

2. Back before CB holiday rereleases were a thing, back before monthly prize raffles were a thing, TJ ran one or two huge site raffles. Winners would get a CB tinsel with their choice of code, or could request a CB of something else. Some people took the opportunity to get CB Hollies, since at the time Hollies were absurdly rare and CB Hollies almost nonexistent. Others took the opportunity to get CB alt Blacks or Vines, which are usually bred-only. The CB Hollies you find in the cave today are all males, but these special prize Hollies could be influenced. You can also tell the Holly you linked is special because it has a custom code and it was laid well outside the Christmas breeding window.

Question about forced hatchlings:

1- Are they more prone to sickness or is it the other way around?

2- Do they need more views to gender at the same time left compared to normally hatched  hatchlings?

I know for certain that they need more views to grow up from experience (some of my forced dragons refused to grow up for a solid eight hours where normal ones with that view count would definitely have), but I never really paid attention to their gendering time and sickness count. Asking this for my sister who wants to calculate when is the earliest she can freeze a forced hatchling (she's waiting for it to gender, the hatchling is at 6 days 4 hours rn with 7000OV 700UV views and inserted in just about every hatcheries that exist, but she's also worried she'll kill it (it's sick already))

UPDATE: It gendered at 6 days 0 hour left (maybe even slightly earlier) with 8000 OV 800 UV. Not dead yet.

Edited by Moriaty

@Moriaty They can be more prone to sickness because they're usually younger than natural-hatched eggs, but if they were forced at usual ER times that won't apply. They do definitely need more views to both gender and grow though, mine usually won't gender till 4d something.

Got a neglected hatchie in a trade. Why cant i precog it to see how it will gender?

It says "unavailable for breed" but i know NDs can be either gender or none... 

Edited by Aniia

31 minutes ago, Aniia said:

Got a neglected hatchie in a trade. Why cant i precog it to see how it will gender?

It says "unavailable for breed" but i know NDs can be either gender or none... 

ND is just not precog-able, unfortunately. It might be because they have that special no gender category (thus far there is no breed that is ungendered and can be precogged by an aeon).

I don't know if you can precog an ND egg though. I would assume also no, but I never tried the few times that I did get a neglected egg

Edited by Moriaty

Haven't been playing for over a year. How do I get the new Xeno's? I fail to find any in the abandoned batch, and I haven't seen ANY xeno's in the biomes since I returned. Lineage doesnt matter, then I can atleast buy them from the market. Or are they that rare....

1 hour ago, Nokturna said:

Haven't been playing for over a year. How do I get the new Xeno's? I fail to find any in the abandoned batch, and I haven't seen ANY xeno's in the biomes since I returned. Lineage doesnt matter, then I can atleast buy them from the market. Or are they that rare....

Only the Staterae is extremely rare. The new Xeno's and the old Xeno's have same egg descriptions (except Staterae). It's random to get either old or new one.

Spoiler

Alpine--Aquilo/Astrapi      Coast--Thalassa/Aso      Desert--Mageia/Pharos       Forest--Chrono/Obidar       Jungle--Gaia/Umbra    Volcano--Pyro/Ke'maro

The other new Xeno's are Uncommon, but seem that the Umbra is a bit expensive then other in trade hub. I think you can't found them just because of Christmas, after holiday you could get them easily, but I'm not sure about 2G(+) Staterae.

Edited by D-wing

Do hatchies always reach adult at 4 days 0 hours left? Do some grow up earlier if they have enough views?

4d0h is the earliest they physically can grow up, but some can grow up later if they don't have enough views.

This is about the encyclopedia and breed limits page... does that not work correctly? Because I've had many problems with it... like with the holiday dragons according to my breed limits I have no 2009 dragons but the encyclopedia I have raised two adults but I have 3, I also run into the issue of clearly reaching the required number of views to unlock info and go to look and haven't even logged that I have in fact seen enough to unlock the images

44 minutes ago, Bopsie said:

according to my breed limits I have no 2009 dragons

Breed limits only limit the CBs you can have. You can have as many lineaged ones as you like, they won't count on the breed limits page. 

44 minutes ago, Bopsie said:

I also run into the issue of clearly reaching the required number of views to unlock info and go to look and haven't even logged that I have in fact seen enough to unlock the images

The encyclopedia can be a little finicky or outright glitched, but usually this means the entry has multiple sprites and you have to click 15 of each sprite adult (or own 3) to unlock each one properly.

Also, the encyclopedia only counts dragons that were raised after it was implemented.

Edited by Shadowdrake

On 12/19/2021 at 4:37 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

Most holiday dragons (except Hallowe'en) are one sex only. The only exceptions are BRED Hollies and Mistletoes. None of the CBs can be influenced. So any dragon that isn't a bred Mistletoe or a Holly will be its designated sex, no matter what. That Snow you have is male. End of, as you might say.

What fuzz said.  Reiterating for general interest, especially for newbies.  I’ve seen a number of misgendered bred Hollies and Mistletoes, likely because people didn’t realize they needed to influence them.

What I do, out of habit during the holidays, is always check whether any of my holiday eggs can be influenced by grabbing a random Pink, clicking on Influence, and seeing if any of my eggs are eligible.

On 12/20/2021 at 5:32 AM, 0x08 said:

How is Glystere pronounced? :unsure:

I pronounce it Gliss-tear (as in teardrop, rhymes with tears as in crying tears.)

Interesting to see all of the various pronunciations!