Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

After the variant update, do gold (iris) florets still breed purple (iris) florets and vice versa?

Edited by smartster4

OK which dragons are "sea serpents"- I didn't realize that was a classification????

Apparently:

Sea Serpents have long, snake-like bodies, and have flippers or fins in place of limbs or wings. These dragons are typically aquatic, though this group also includes Stratos Dragons, which are known to be unable to swim.

This category contains dragons classified as sea serpents on Dragon Cave.

Baikala Dragon

Deep Sea Dragon

Sapo Dragon

Shallow Water Dragon

Stratos Dragon

Water Dragon

And indeed, their encyclopaedia entries designate them thus.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

33 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Apparently:

Sea Serpents have long, snake-like bodies, and have flippers or fins in place of limbs or wings. These dragons are typically aquatic, though this group also includes Stratos Dragons, which are known to be unable to swim.

This category contains dragons classified as sea serpents on Dragon Cave.

Baikala Dragon

Deep Sea Dragon

Sapo Dragon

Shallow Water Dragon

Stratos Dragon

Water Dragon

And indeed, their encyclopaedia entries designate them thus.

thanks, shows you how much attention ipay to the encyclopedia!

I THINK they may once have been known as Leviathans ? ( looked it up in the wiki, but thought I'd best check the encyclopaedia for officialness !)

4 hours ago, smartster4 said:

After the variant update, do gold (iris) florets still breed purple (iris) florets and vice versa?

I'm pretty sure that behavior has not changed.

Did I understand this correctly that there is no way to make a pink or gold alt out of a cb sapphire egg? like making a cb sapphire egg get a lot of views or by abandoning a cb sapphire egg after catching one?

31 minutes ago, Cleo said:

Did I understand this correctly that there is no way to make a pink or gold alt out of a cb sapphire egg? like making a cb sapphire egg get a lot of views or by abandoning a cb sapphire egg after catching one?

no? no idea where you heard that, it's extremely easy to get cb yellow sapphs (a lot of people that had sapph hatchies suddenly got them turned yellow lol) pink ones are tougher but the ap will eventually chill out about them.

1 hour ago, Cleo said:

Both can be cb. The problem with pinks is they have to be willfully abandoned. So someone first has to abandon a cb for you to find one.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but here goes: what is the general view on breeding one dragon with multiple mates?

I'm familiar with the overall attitudes towards lineage aesthetics, for example that messy and inbred lineages are a no-no for many, so that part's clear to me. But I don't ever see any discussions related to breeding parents with 'stranger' dragons? I'll use a real life example: I bred a pair of peach Alstro Florets before it became known that they breed true and shouldn't produce any non-peach eggs. So now I'd like to breed each of the Florets from that pair with different Floret mates to have a chance at getting the alt colors. Would that be considered, I don't know, bad practice? Hope I'm making sense.

I know it essentially boils down to one's playstyle, but I'd like to know whether people pay attention to this and what the general public's opinion on this topic is. Like, if someone got an egg bred from my pairing, would they mind if the parents were cheating on each other? Oh, and I hope I'm not offending anyone who does this by implying it might be unacceptable or something. I've seen it happen, especially with the limited release dragons, so it might not be such a big deal after all. Would be a relief for me, too, haha.

14 minutes ago, BrownWolf said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but here goes: what is the general view on breeding one dragon with multiple mates?

I'm familiar with the overall attitudes towards lineage aesthetics, for example that messy and inbred lineages are a no-no for many, so that part's clear to me. But I don't ever see any discussions related to breeding parents with 'stranger' dragons? I'll use a real life example: I bred a pair of peach Alstro Florets before it became known that they breed true and shouldn't produce any non-peach eggs. So now I'd like to breed each of the Florets from that pair with different Floret mates to have a chance at getting the alt colors. Would that be considered, I don't know, bad practice? Hope I'm making sense.

I know it essentially boils down to one's playstyle, but I'd like to know whether people pay attention to this and what the general public's opinion on this topic is. Like, if someone got an egg bred from my pairing, would they mind if the parents were cheating on each other? Oh, and I hope I'm not offending anyone who does this by implying it might be unacceptable or something. I've seen it happen, especially with the limited release dragons, so it might not be such a big deal after all. Would be a relief for me, too, haha.

You can breed with whatever dragons you want. Having multiple partners doesn't effect lineages at all. And requires a few extra clicks to even see. Lots of people breed with multiple partners. Others perfer to mate for life. It really makes no difference.

This dragon, for example, has quite a few mates, but people still request offspring from him. https://dragcave.net/progeny/apjpi

Edited by DragonLady86

1 hour ago, BrownWolf said:

I have never seen anyone complaining about a dragon they got whose parents had multiple partners. So I don't think the offspring of such dragons are an issue at all.

Some people choose to have life mates for their dragons, and some lineage projects, like the Breast Cancer Hope lineage, require it for dragons from the lineage, but generally there is no stigma attached to a dragon having more than one mate. As DragonLady86 says, it is not something that shows in lineage view and requires actively looking for it, so shouldn't "spoil" a lineage for anyone.

1 hour ago, DragonLady86 said:

You can breed with whatever dragons you want. Having multiple partners doesn't effect lineages at all. And requires a few extra clicks to even see. Lots of people breed with multiple partners. Others perfer to mate for life. It really makes no difference.

This dragon, for example, has quite a few mates, but people still request offspring from him. https://dragcave.net/progeny/apjpi

23 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I have never seen anyone complaining about a dragon they got whose parents had multiple partners. So I don't think the offspring of such dragons are an issue at all.

Some people choose to have life mates for their dragons, and some lineage projects, like the Breast Cancer Hope lineage, require it for dragons from the lineage, but generally there is no stigma attached to a dragon having more than one mate. As DragonLady86 says, it is not something that shows in lineage view and requires actively looking for it, so shouldn't "spoil" a lineage for anyone.

I see, that's good news then. Thanks a lot to you both! 

I need help with putting egg and hatchling images in trade posts.

This used to be relatively easy to do. I say “relatively easy“ because this forum is a bit wonky. Still, I used to be able to copy egg or hatchling images from this thread, paste them into a new post, and then choose the “plain text“ option. This no longer seems to work for me. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong or how to fix it. I do see a couple of people who are still using egg images in their posts in the trading threads, so they have somehow figured out something that works.

4 minutes ago, missy_ said:

This used to be relatively easy to do. I say “relatively easy“ because this forum is a bit wonky. Still, I used to be able to copy egg or hatchling images from this thread, paste them into a new post, and then choose the “plain text“ option. This no longer seems to work for me. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong or how to fix it. I do see a couple of people who are still using egg images in their posts in the trading threads, so they have somehow figured out something that works.

I dont do that myself but I assume that you should be able to download the images on your computer and then upload them onto a forum post.  

2 minutes ago, Paradisiske said:

I dont do that myself but I assume that you should be able to download the images on your computer and then upload them onto a forum post.  

I am using mostly mobile browsing these days.

Even so, using the links in that thread used to be very easy. Much easier, IMO, than having all of the images of all dragons downloaded (but that’s just what has worked best for my situation).**

Regardless of where the egg/hatchling images are, they should still show up correctly in the post. Unless something has changed with the forum software? Still, there are people still able to use egg and hatchling images in their trading posts.

**I only upload posts from my photo album if they are screenshots of certain things like lineages.

21 minutes ago, missy_ said:

I am using mostly mobile browsing these days.

Even so, using the links in that thread used to be very easy. Much easier, IMO, than having all of the images of all dragons downloaded (but that’s just what has worked best for my situation).**

Regardless of where the egg/hatchling images are, they should still show up correctly in the post. Unless something has changed with the forum software? Still, there are people still able to use egg and hatchling images in their trading posts.

**I only upload posts from my photo album if they are screenshots of certain things like lineages.

Well idk maybe tj changed some of the forum settings. As I dont typically put images in my forum posts the only work around that I can think of for you is to download the images and then upload them onto the forum post. It will work on mobile too. 

7 minutes ago, Paradisiske said:

Well idk maybe tj changed some of the forum settings. As I dont typically put images in my forum posts the only work around that I can think of for you is to download the images and then upload them onto the forum post. It will work on mobile too. 

Thanks; I appreciate that advice; hopefully I will hear from some people who know how to post those images. :)  I saw a couple of players posting egg and hatchling images in their posts today, so some appear to have figured out something? If they are using the "old, tried and true" method or something else, hopefully someone can assist me.  

4 hours ago, BrownWolf said:

Yes, what DragonLady86 and purplehaze said. It is not seen as bad practice for a dragon to have multiple mates.  I personally like it when they do. I enjoy looking at various Prize, holiday and metals and viewing their mates and progeny.  It helps me visualize which pairings look good. :)  I have some with multiple mates, others with one mate (maybe it's a naming scheme or some other reason).

If a dragon only has one mate, it's possible the player doesn't want to use a Purple to fertilize a different pairing (to prevent/lessen chances of refusal**), so it's easier to stick with the one mate. In the "old days," (old for me; not very old for some of the true old-timers!) the refusal rate between dragons seemed pretty high. THAT was a great reason (back then) to stick with one tried-and-true mate that a player had found if the dragons didn't refuse each other. 

There was (still is) the dreaded "the dragons refuse to even go near each other" where they would never be able to mate again (I hear at one point--not sure when, but guessing it was long ago--dragons who had refused could mate again; would love to know more about that from the true old-timers.). Nowadays, refusals can still happen, but using Purple/Fertility has a high success rate of preventing refusals--I am not sure if it is guaranteed 100% but I haven't had any refusals using it--**maybe someone else can clarify--do we know if Fertility now has a 100% success rate at preventing refusals?

'... There was (still is) the dreaded "the dragons refuse to even go near each other" where they would never be able to mate again (I hear at one point--not sure when, but guessing it was long ago--dragons who had refused could mate again; would love to know more about that from the true old-timers.). .'

The only instance I can rather vaguely think of was that out-of-season Refusals didn't apply to Holiday dragons in (and only in) their appropriate seasons to reproduce their own kind - if that helps, lol.

1 hour ago, Syphoneira said:

The only instance I can rather vaguely think of was that out-of-season Refusals didn't apply to Holiday dragons in (and only in) their appropriate seasons to reproduce their own kind - if that helps, lol.

Thanks! That has been that way as long as I've been playing, I believe.  Although ... now I can't remember if holiday dragons x a mate they bred with during holiday season, if there was a way for them to have silently "refused" during the holiday breeding, so that when one tries to breed the pair out of season (using fertility), it would prompt a refusal (and by that, one can surmise there was a "silent" holiday refusal).  Can this happen? I can't remember ... 

2 hours ago, missy_ said:

(I hear at one point--not sure when, but guessing it was long ago--dragons who had refused could mate again; would love to know more about that from the true old-timers.)

I meant this: (from wiki)

Currently, once a pair of dragons has refused, the refused partner is moved to the bottom of the list of possible mates and is not available to attempt breeding in the future. In the past this was not the case, and it was still possible to breed two dragons who had refused each other already, only to of course have them refuse each other again.

Looks like at some point they could mate again, but would still refuse.  An interesting DC factoid.

'...  Although ... now I can't remember if holiday dragons x a mate they bred with during holiday season, if there was a way for them to have silently "refused" during the holiday breeding, so that when one tries to breed the pair out of season (using fertility), it would prompt a refusal (and by that, one can surmise there was a "silent" holiday refusal).  Can this happen? I can't remember ...  ...'

I suspect that that may involved cases where I can recall people hoping that a successful Holiday breeding might have enabled later breeding with a previously-Refused mate, to try it again, at least I can remember no instances otherwise. Refusals being shut off for Holiday dragons on their Holidays only.

'... Currently, once a pair of dragons has refused, the refused partner is moved to the bottom of the list of possible mates and is not available to attempt breeding in the future. In the past this was not the case, and it was still possible to breed two dragons who had refused each other already, only to of course have them refuse each other again.

Looks like at some point they could mate again, but would still refuse.  An interesting DC factoid. ...'

I suspect that they meant that you could TRY to breed again, to have another Refusal, because now they're just greyed-out as inaccessible on the breeding page, aren't they? And I think that may have why, due to people asking why one could make the attempt if it wouldn't work - because they certainly did, lol.

5 hours ago, missy_ said:

I think the new forum image thing is that images will only show from https addresses, not http. Many of the image codes in that thread still use http addresses.

Here I directly copy/pasted the image code from that thread for the aeria gloris hatchie:

http://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dragcave/images/8/87/Aeria_Gloris_hatchi.gif

Here I added an s after the http in the image code:

Aeria_Gloris_hatchi.gif

I hope this helps :)

11 hours ago, smartster4 said:

I think the new forum image thing is that images will only show from https addresses, not http. Many of the image codes in that thread still use http addresses.

Here I directly copy/pasted the image code from that thread for the aeria gloris hatchie:

http://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dragcave/images/8/87/Aeria_Gloris_hatchi.gif

Here I added an s after the http in the image code:

Aeria_Gloris_hatchi.gif

I hope this helps :)

Wow, thank you! so helpful.

I will test it. 

Here it is with an http link:

http://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dragcave/images/0/03/Black_Truffle_mature_hatchi.gif

Now with an https link:

Black_Truffle_mature_hatchi.gif

And ... the https link worked! Thank you! ^_^

what does 'I use decline' mean?

Does it just mean they regularly decline offers, or what? It seems like a wierd way to word that so i'm not sure.

I think they just mean that they will decline offers that don't interest them instead of keeping everyone waiting until they get an offer they like. So theoretically, if your offer hasn't been declined you can assume that they at least have some interest.