Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

1 minute ago, Roseora said:

wait... declining offers one declines isn't the norm...?

Depends on the person and situation. Declining offers you are *sure* you don't want is mostly the norm, I think, but sometimes if you get an offer but want to wait and see if you might get something better before accepting the first one... Also, there are times when certain people will offer things the exact opposite of what you want, and even re-offer the same thing immediately after you decline. In those cases I'll just let it sit there without declining, because why keep declining just to have them reoffer immediately?

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

s the exact opposite of what you want, and even re-offer the same thing immediately

Ok silly me for assuming people would be sensible. XD Thankyou

24 minutes ago, Roseora said:

what does 'I use decline' mean?

Does it just mean they regularly decline offers, or what? It seems like a wierd way to word that so i'm not sure.

Some people trade quickly, even within a couple minutes. Others take their time, and saying"I use decline" means that traders won't be left waiting hours or even days while they make up their mind. It means they show some consideration for those making offers. 

1 minute ago, Roseora said:

I don't know. I have been left waiting for days sometimes only to have the trade poof without being declined -- just no longer available. Did that mean they were considering my offer until they got one they couldn't refuse? Or does it mean that they were just letting all offers sit there whether they were interested or not? There is no way to know. Saying you "use decline" at least gives a clue.

13 hours ago, Roseora said:

No.  For some reason it's a courtesy that isn't used anywhere near as often as it could be.  It's possible that some people don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by rejecting their offer, but freeing up their eggs/hatchlings is really the kindest thing to do if you don't plan to keep them.

How do you make Overall Views go up? I've been refreshing my sapphire eggs and not getting anywhere, even after I log out of my account.

I'm not refreshing the egg page directly, but I have the eggs in a plain HTML page that I'm refreshing.

Edited by Arwen17

Actually, you can give multiple OVs to your own scroll by refreshing the /user/ link (found at the top of your scroll under 'Use this link to share your dragons'). But the autorefresher fuzzbucket linked is super useful to target specific eggs/hatchlings quickly, you can do multiple codes at once too. 

Thank you! I had a vague memory of Neglected hatchery having an auto-refresher many years ago, but it disappeared and I couldn't remember why that was special vs just refreshing yourself.

37 minutes ago, MissK. said:

Actually, you can give multiple OVs to your own scroll by refreshing the /user/ link (found at the top of your scroll under 'Use this link to share your dragons'). But the autorefresher fuzzbucket linked is super useful to target specific eggs/hatchlings quickly, you can do multiple codes at once too. 

Thanks for that - I had no idea !

@Arwen17 - looks like it all worked :blink:

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

YOU can only give one OV to any egg per 24 hours. You need to use hatcheries or a refresher.

Like this one/

http://dc-auto-refresher.herokuapp.com

I've tried this, it worked just fine on the first egg and quit on the second, is this normal?

5 minutes ago, Oddsoxdi said:

I've tried this, it worked just fine on the first egg and quit on the second, is this normal?

Stats are capped at a 15:1 ratio, meaning if your egg/hatchie has 15 times as many overall views as unique views the stats won't go higher until another unique view is given. Could that be what happened? 

Most probably. But I now have 2 yellow Sapph eggs - finally.

Is the market shard prices a good indicator of an eggs 'base' value within the community?

For example if two eggs cost the same shards would it be a sensible offer in a trade, not factoring in other things like lineage and stage..?

So if I want an egg thats 2000 shards, is 4 CB eggs worth 500 shards each, a fair offer?

Mine all turned yellow finally, but man this is really teaching EVERYONE how to viewbomb eggs. I don't know if this is a good thing or not.

5 minutes ago, Roseora said:

Is the market shard prices a good indicator of an eggs 'base' value within the community?

For example if two eggs cost the same shards would it be a sensible offer in a trade, not factoring in other things like lineage and stage..?

So if I want an egg thats 2000 shards, is 4 CB eggs worth 500 shards each, a fair offer?

The Market isn't really a great indicator of what is popular/valued among users. (See, Magmas being the *most* expensive thing, well above Golds and even Staterae...)  The Market is supposedly tied loosely to overpopulation/underpopulation. In general higher prices can be assumed to be more wanted than, say, 100-shard breeds, but when it comes to 'comparable value' like multiple lower-priced for  a higher-priced that's really iffy. It will depend largely on what exactly those 4 CBs are.

29 minutes ago, Roseora said:

I don't think there is really any such formula that would apply. Some eggs that are high priced in the market don't really seem to be that valuable in the hub. Plus each person probably has their own idea of which CB eggs would tempt them. The newest Xenos are only 100 shards in the market, but I would see them as more valuable than some of the eggs that cost much more. Others may disagree.

Ah ok, thankyou. So if someone doesn't put a specific 'want' on a trade then how would yal suggest going about making an offer they might like? 

5 hours ago, Roseora said:

It's not a good idea since the market focuses a lot on current population, meaning new things are less expensive than older things despite people being willing to hunt or trade more for them, and it also has several quirks like the disproportionately high price of unbreedables. When it comes to trading, 1) very new things are always relatively high in demand and price, 2) the lowest lineage possible (usually CBs or 2g prizes) is much more valued than any slightly higher lineage, and 3) hatchlings are much more tradeable than eggs due to more people having space for them. BSA hatchlings like reds, pinks and aeons have less emphasis on lineage, so they're also usually decent trading fodder if you're not good at hunting CBs. However, trading upwards for extremely rare stuff like cb golds, silvers and staterae are difficult because people are usually picky about what they'll accept.

4 hours ago, Roseora said:

Ah ok, thankyou. So if someone doesn't put a specific 'want' on a trade then how would yal suggest going about making an offer they might like? 

Probably first glance at their scroll to see if they have a group or something they collect, then if you still don't know or have anything suitable, make an offer of what you have on hand that you'd be willing to give up in exchange, prioritizing good cbs and cb or bsa hatchies. DC trading is very subjective, so if you can offer something they actually like or need they're more likely to accept than a bunch of random things that are approximately the same value as their trade.

Edited by Shadowdrake

1 hour ago, Roseora said:

If you are just starting to trade, I suggest you think of the market prices like those of a department store and the hub, or other member to member trading, like prices at a yard sale.  In the market you can only get what they have in stock and you have to pay just what they set their price on, just like say, Walmart.  In the hub, or in other private trades, you can get almost anything. (With the exception of Gardians of Nature, market bought creatures and new prizes.) The deals are highly negotiable. It all depends on factors like what the egg or hatchling is, but this might have little or nothing to do with the market price and more to do with it being a lineage someone worked hard to make or it could be a 2g prize they value highly, this kind of thing...  Some sellers will set their expectations high while others might treat this kind of trade much more casually and will trade the same thing for less. 

1 hour ago, Roseora said:

So if someone doesn't put a specific 'want' on a trade then how would yal suggest going about making an offer they might like? 

Shadowdrake gave you some excellent advice.👍  I've found that cave born hatchlings are good for trading because, while many collectors of lineages will take cbs, few cb collectors want lineages, although some will make exceptions for something nice.  What it's going to come down to, often enough, is that you will see something you would like and then look at what you have on your scroll that you could offer.  Then, well, the bottom line is always going to be that you take a guess and make the best offer you can without giving away anything you really need to keep. 

One more thing...  It might be hard to offer up your eggs and hatchlings and see them leave your scroll, but you'll get used to it.  Having your offers get rejected can hurt your feelings, but not every offer can be accepted, so be prepared for it and don't get discouraged.  Good luck with your trades!  :D

3 hours ago, Roseora said:

Offer and see what happens. Worst that can happen is you get rejected. Though offering 4 eggs for 1 can backfire. If they are scroll locked, they won't be able to accept your trade even if they want to.

1 minute ago, DragonLady86 said:

Offer and see what happens. Worst that can happen is you get rejected. Though offering 4 eggs for 1 can backfire. If they are scroll locked, they won't be able to accept your trade even if they want to.

This is a good point. Also, I've gotten some really good 3-4 egg offers in the past and passed them over in favor of 1-2 egg offers simply because those 4 eggs would egglock me and I still want to be able to hunt. (And sometimes, even if they are all eggs I totally would accept individually, sometimes I'm just not looking for that many right then.)

11 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

I wouldn't go by that exactly. A better indicator of value is rarity.  Someone offering a rare egg will often expect one in return, or more than one uncommon.  You can offer commons, if that's all you have, and you might, or might not, get lucky.  You never know because someone might just be looking for a quick trade and will take the first offer they've been given. On the other hand, they could have gone to bed for the night and won't get back online until tomorrow evening. By then they might have six offers, all as good or better than yours,  and you've tied up your commons all this time for nothing. Of course, it's also possible that no one else offered and your offer takes it.  

There are other categories to think about trading too.  Trading is active in codes, for example, all capitals, or numbers, or letters, or even words. And Thuweds, Dorkfaces, and spriter's alts are sought after too. There is no set exchange value for any of these.   I can only suggest that you spend some time browsing the hub trades to get a feel for what's expected.  But do remember that just because someone asks a high price it doesn't  necessarily mean they will get it.  The high priced egg might appear later as a hatchling going for "offers,' and if no one is interested, the last minute selling price might surprise you.  You just never know...    :D