Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

14 hours ago, purplehaze said:

@missy_ Sadly there is no dark mode for the forum.

There is a suggestion asking for a night mode.

7 hours ago, Tini said:

DC site is separate from DC forums. Names, passwords, settings, not connected at all. Yeah the forums hurt a lot. Unfortunately I only know how to help you on desktop

I don't know how this would work on iOS, but:

3 hours ago, dragongrrl said:

I was having problems on my phone with horribly offensive ads and found a browser called Brave to use instead of Chrome. It has a dark mode and turns both the Cave and Forum to a black background with white lettering. Solved both the ad and glare problem in one swell foop! :D

Does anyone know what font Dragcave uses? Specifically, the font for using actions on eggs and hatchlings. 

This one ?

image.png.8eb1d1f493215f0737db7d546913ca80.png

Looks like Times New Roman to me.

2 hours ago, GrimmyYA said:

Does anyone know what font Dragcave uses? Specifically, the font for using actions on eggs and hatchlings. 

Depends on your skin, actually.

In Firefox, If you right-click one of the action links and select "inspect element", you might find the font in the styles window.

E.g. with the Blackout skin, it seems to be "BebasNeue"

Oh wow thanks - I just did that and it was indeed Times New Roman in St Pat's. Inspect gives me:

font-family: "FQ","PT Serif","Times New Roman","Times",serif;

But in Dark Portal I get "DIN","Arial",sans-serif;

Which do you mean by the Blackout skin ? (or is this that I don't have BebasNeue installed so I get a substitute - or are you using iOS and that's different ?)

I LOVE fonts...

The Blackout skin is one of the two retired skins that you cannot choose anymore unless you used it at the moment of retirement.

AH ! Thanks. (Screenie ? What does it look like ??)

36 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

AH ! Thanks. (Screenie ? What does it look like ??)

image.thumb.png.a2c0612716a407c1861fbc038a8375c2.png

Since it's technically retired, it doesn't get any of the fancy updates like clock & shards on the front page.

The neutral background is actually quite easy and relaxing on my eyes, and I don't have to worry about background images needing loading all the time.

Wow - I've never seen that. I REALLY don't like that banner thing.

Thanks ! :wub:

I don't use the default either, myself, because of all the background images.

Yeah, I'm using the default skin and just did the Firefox trick. I thought it was Times New Roman, but it didn't match on Gimp (photo editor). I tried the other fonts too on the "Inspect Elements" and they don't match either for some reason. 

I have a silly question, lol. I had had absolutely no idea either that hatchies could even BE Precogged or that ungendered hatchies apparently can now change genders if moved from one scroll to another, so what I need to know is: if a hatchy that now Precogs the wrong gender is sent to my scroll and Precogs as the desired gender, wouldn't it change back to the wrong gender once returned to the owner - and when and why on Earth would such a change in hatchy gender when Teleported to different scrolls have been enabled in the first place? It seems not only pointlessly destructive of lineages and breeding plans but an unnecessary change.

6 minutes ago, Syphoneira said:

I have a silly question, lol. I had had absolutely no idea either that hatchies could even BE Precogged or that ungendered hatchies apparently can now change genders if moved from one scroll to another, so what I need to know is: if a hatchy that now Precogs the wrong gender is sent to my scroll and Precogs as the desired gender, wouldn't it change back to the wrong gender once returned to the owner - and when and why on Earth would such a change in hatchy gender when Teleported to different scrolls have been enabled in the first place? It seems not only pointlessly destructive of lineages and breeding plans but an unnecessary change.

Hatchlings do not change gender. An egg will change gender if it was influenced before teleported because the influence wears off and the gender is re-rolled.

19 hours ago, dragongrrl said:

I was having problems on my phone with horribly offensive ads and found a browser called Brave to use instead of Chrome. It has a dark mode and turns both the Cave and Forum to a black background with white lettering. Solved both the ad and glare problem in one swell foop! :D

Thank you dragongrrl (love your lowercase, hope you keep it), I had already tried Brave on my iPhone.

Unfortunately, it does not display dark mode on the forum.

~~~~~

19 minutes ago, Syphoneira said:

11 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Hatchlings do not change gender. An egg will change gender if it was influenced before teleported because the influence wears off and the gender is re-rolled.

What @DragonLady86 said. Also, I see people advertising on the trading hub that they have influenced an egg— they appear to not realize that that influence will immediately be wiped out by the teleport.

I also see traders that influence an egg before precogging it ... one cannot do this and expect a reliable gender result! Since teleporting wipes out influence. The only reliable precog, for an egg that is to be teleported, is on an uninfluenced egg, before teleporting it.

Hatchlings absolutely will not change gender, and teleporting a hatchling does not change its gender. 

Edited by missy_

Thank you both for the answers! I didn't think this made any sense but the person asking me to try ungendered hatchies on my scroll trades a fair bit and was quite positive about this, so I thought there must have been what struck me as a very weird change, lol.

So it seems likely that the trader had Influenced and shown a Precog without realizing; I know I've sent eggs to people who then forget to re-Influence them, if I don't remember to remind them, which might also be an easy thing to do when tired and in a rush. Quite a relief, considering the problems resulting, had that been true!

4 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

and the gender is re-rolled.

My corrections, crossed out and in blue:

Influence + teleport = gender re-roll 

Precog (no influence) + teleport = no gender re-roll

I just realized I don’t know your definition of the term “re-rolled,” @DragonLady86. To the best of my knowledge, the gender is not “rerolled”—I’m defining “re-rolled” as in “given a random new gender.”  (Maybe that is not what you meant by “re-rolled.”)  In my experience, the egg’s original gender  (original gender before influence was applied, if it was influenced), whatever that is, will stick.    Correction: If an egg has been influenced AND then teleported, there is a random “re-roll” and the gender is arbitrarily determined to be male or female. If the egg was NOT influenced, only precogged, then teleporting it will not result in a gender re-roll.  For example, when you precog an uninfluenced egg and it predicts the gender will be female, even if you teleport it to someone, that gender remains the same.  If the receiver of that egg wants it to be male, the receiver has to influence it. I do this with Prizes all the time. Whenever possible, I use precogs in trades. I use it on my uninfluenced eggs. That gender will stick, even though the egg is teleported. (If it will gender wrong, I don’t advertise precog with the trade, as I know they will have to influence it.)

By that same token, I would say “an egg may change gender if it was influenced before teleported” — true, but because of re-roll mechanic stated above. Crossed-out portion was true at one time, later changed due to glitch becoming feature. Original influence is overwritten if egg is influenced, then teleported. only because it is possible that the uninfluenced egg was originally female, for example, but that precognition was not performed on the uninfluenced egg. So if the egg was influenced female, then teleported, it would lose its influence, but the original, uninfluenced egg was destined to be female, anyway. So in this particular example, the egg would not change gender, even though it had been influenced and teleported.

3 hours ago, Syphoneira said:

I didn't think this made any sense but the person asking me to try ungendered hatchies on my scroll trades a fair bit and was quite positive about this,

Yes, I have seen people who trade “a fair bit” but still don’t seem to realize they should never use precog on an egg they have influenced.

So it seems likely that the trader had Influenced and shown a Precog without realizing;

Yes, this is very likely.

I know I've sent eggs to people who then forget to re-Influence them, if I don't remember to remind them, which might also be an easy thing to do when tired and in a rush.

In all fairness to you, people should know that when they receive an egg in a trade, they should influence it, if they care about the gender. You shouldn’t have to remind them. There are people out there that actually think that someone can influence an egg and then send it to them through a teleport and that the influence will hold, but those traders don’t know how the mechanics of influence and teleport work together. That is why we have the thread here for people to a erase an influence. 

Edited by missy_
corrections made.

41 minutes ago, missy_ said:

I just realized I don’t know your definition of the term “re-rolled,” @DragonLady86. To the best of my knowledge, the gender is not “rerolled”—I’m defining “re-rolled” as in “given a random new gender.”  (Maybe that is not what you meant by “re-rolled.”)  In my experience, the egg’s original gender (original gender before influence was applied, if it was influenced), whatever that is, will stick.  For example, when you precog an uninfluenced egg and it predicts the gender will be female, even if you teleport it to someone, that gender remains the same.  If the receiver of that egg wants it to be male, they have to influence it. I do this with Prizes all the time. Whenever possible, I use precogs in trades. I use it on my uninfluenced eggs. That gender will stick, even though the egg is teleported. (If it will gender wrong, I don’t advertise precog with the trade, as I know they will have to influence it.)

It means exactly what I said. The gender is randomly determined again. You have a 50% chance of it being the original gender. Precognition actually changes nothing either way. Influence no longer has a failure rate. So if you've influenced an egg, you do not need to precog it. And if you didn't influence it then yes, it doesn't change.

Edited by DragonLady86

29 minutes ago, missy_ said:

I just realized I don’t know your definition of the term “re-rolled,” @DragonLady86. To the best of my knowledge, the gender is not “rerolled”—I’m defining “re-rolled” as in “given a random new gender.”  (Maybe that is not what you meant by “re-rolled.”)  In my experience, the egg’s original gender (original gender before influence was applied, if it was influenced), whatever that is, will stick.  For example, when you precog an uninfluenced egg and it predicts the gender will be female, even if you teleport it to someone, that gender remains the same.  If the receiver of that egg wants it to be male, they have to influence it. I do this with Prizes all the time. Whenever possible, I use precogs in trades. I use it on my uninfluenced eggs. That gender will stick, even though the egg is teleported. (If it will gender wrong, I don’t advertise precog with the trade, as I know they will have to influence it.)

By that same token, I would say “an egg may change gender if it was influenced before teleported” only because it is possible that the uninfluenced egg was originally female, for example, but that precognition was not performed on the uninfluenced egg. So if the egg was influenced female, then teleported, it would lose its influence, but the original, uninfluenced egg was destined to be female, anyway. So in this particular example, the egg would not change gender, even though it had been influenced and teleported.

That's not how it works actually. IF you influence something, no matter what the previous gender was, if you then teleport it, the gender is randomized. It of course, has a 50/50 shot of maintaining the same gender. This is how ungendered NDs happen, because it doesn't know what to do when it changes species after an influence (because you can't influence ND eggs) and is then teleported, so it just says none. It was probably a bug at first but then it became a feature. (There's actually a few genderless vampires floating around from nd eggs that were influ-teleported and then biten) For example, you precog something a girl, you influence it a girl, you trade it, it can hatch a male now, without influence because the influence + the trade is all that is needed to shuffle it. Re-rolled is just meaning: the site flips the coin again. 100% of the time, influence-teleported eggs are re-rolled, but 50% of the time its the same as it was before. 

is there a way to ignore a user from one of their posts or is the only way to go to the ignored users page (through "account") and add manually?

4 minutes ago, miaou said:

is there a way to ignore a user from one of their posts or is the only way to go to the ignored users page (through "account") and add manually?

You can ignore just the signature and then edit the ignore from there instead of adding manually I think? 

1 minute ago, Tini said:

You can ignore just the signature and then edit the ignore from there instead of adding manually I think? 

thank you, i'll try that!

12 minutes ago, miaou said:

The options through Account are Post, Mention, Message and Signature. You pick the way you want to ignore them, one, more or all options. I don't know of any other method to ignore someone here.

41 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

It means exactly what I said. The gender is randomly determined again. You have a 50% chance of it being the original gender. 

Thanks. Tini clarified this is for influenced + teleported eggs, if I understand correctly. 

49 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

And if you didn't influence it then yes, it doesn't change.

Right—if an egg was never influenced, but was precogged, then teleported, the precog of the original, uninfluenced egg sticks. 

43 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Precognition actually changes nothing either way.

I meant precognition doesn’t “change” the original gender of the uninfluenced egg — it just “reveals” what gender that uninfluenced egg would be.

46 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

So if you've influenced an egg, you do not need to precog it.

Right. The only time I have done that is to get a male/female pair of red Cantormaris. 

47 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Influence no longer has a failure rate.

Right; influence no longer has a failure rate; it is 100%. 

41 minutes ago, Tini said:

That's not how it works actually. IF you influence something, no matter what the previous gender was, if you then teleport it, the gender is randomized. It of course, has a 50/50 shot of maintaining the same gender. This is how ungendered NDs happen, because it doesn't know what to do when it changes species after an influence (because you can't influence ND eggs) and is then teleported, so it just says none. It was probably a bug at first but then it became a feature. (There's actually a few genderless vampires floating around from nd eggs that were influ-teleported and then biten) For example, you precog something a girl, you influence it a girl, you trade it, it can hatch a male now, without influence because the influence + the trade is all that is needed to shuffle it. Re-rolled is just meaning: the site flips the coin again. 100% of the time, influence-teleported eggs are re-rolled, but 50% of the time its the same as it was before. 

Thanks, Tini.  So if an egg has been influenced prior to teleport (something I don’t do, since teleport erases influence—unless I mistakenly influenced it the wrong gender I had wanted for my scroll and I am asking someone to help me bounce an egg to erase the influence), the gender is re-rolled/randomized during teleport. Learned something new! I don’t make NDs and wasn’t aware of that “bug” that became a “feature.” 

I don’t influence EGGS unless I plan on keeping it on my scroll. If I am trading, I use precog only, no influence, on eggs. If I then realize I need to hatch an egg (maybe it hasn’t been traded, so I influence, then hatch it), the gender sticks, because it is now a hatchling.

But this does bring up interesting questions about Cantormaris. If, for example, I want to use precog to reveal their gender, but I want orange Cantors, so then I bounce them through teleport, can I rely on their original gender sticking, since I didn’t influence them?  

Is that correct?

7 minutes ago, missy_ said:

But this does bring up interesting questions about Cantormaris. If, for example, I want to use precog to reveal their gender, but I want orange Cantors, so then I bounce them through teleport, can I rely on their original gender sticking, since I didn’t influence them?  

Is that correct?

Yes, if they weren't influenced, the gender will not change.

Asking for a non-forum friend:

He EQ'd and killed 2 eggs 2 days ago now, and still can't use those egg slots, but the one he bit only a day ago has acted as usual and the slot is now available.

@TJ09 - Do deaths from Earthquake count as eggs for longer than other deaths ? That is going to be a real pain for the green cantors.

2 hours ago, miaou said:

You can hover over their avatar and then ignore from there.

image.png.dd973f9899486338e338ad9d774acb38.png

Edited by Fuzzbucket

The new Jungle Florets aren't showing in my encyclopaedia. I had for eggs, now four hatchies and I've clicked on may more in the sites, but still nothing but a grey shadow there.  I'm assuming it's a glitch? (done all the cache stuff).