Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

If an artist sprites a holiday dragon are all of their copies of that dragon SAlts or is it just their CBs?

8 minutes ago, Chaos Rider said:

If an artist sprites a holiday dragon are all of their copies of that dragon SAlts or is it just their CBs?

98% of the time its just the CBs (specifically first year CBs in relation to Halloween) but there's a few exceptions. A couple bred Pumpkins Marri had, and one of the snow angel artists has an alt-only scroll.

Edited by Tini

53 minutes ago, Chaos Rider said:

TJ turns all the to-be-salted holidays in one go when the artist is done collecting, so it's every cb currently on their scroll. (This means that if an artist wants, they can get an early batch of Halloween dragons salted, then pick up or trade for more and they'll be regular.) Otherwise, what Tini said is correct.

Is there a list anywhere of all the dragons that have gotten sprite changes over the years? The new sprite replacements got me thinking about building a lineage exclusively of dragons that have had their sprites replaced at some point and it would be handy to have a full list.

There's no list that I know of, but if you're keen, you can work through "Sprites no longer in use" on the wiki (though it doesn't show this last lot in full, as the individual's stuff is gone. But those you know about.) Are you counting things like whiptails that were not terribly noticeable ? Or just major changes - gold, silver, Aria, Frill...

Good point on the wiki, I'll go look through there! I think I'll probably try to stick with breeds that have had more major changes, but it'll probably depend on how many I find. I'm planning on making it even gen at this point, which will be a little more restrictive on the numbers, so I probably won't include everything. There's definitely some edge cases right off the top of my heads, like the Suns who had a relatively minor update, but they also had the update for dimorphism so they've definitely had more changes than most breeds.

On 5/8/2021 at 2:14 PM, pinkgothic said:

When adding dragons to a group (or in the Fertility dragon selection view, which uses the same code), you can put #cb into the search box (with the hashtag) and it'll show only those dragons that are CB. That also works for #2g, #3g, et cetera.

Wait really?? Someone please confirm!

Also

Are the new Holidlay 2011 really called Blizzards Wizards? I saw someone say that, but I don't know where it came from.

2 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

Wait really?? Someone please confirm!

Also

Are the new Holidlay 2011 really called Blizzards Wizards? I saw someone say that, but I don't know where it came from.

yes to filters and blizzard wizards. even the thuwed got renamed. it came from TCA

2 minutes ago, Tini said:

yes to filters and blizzard wizards. even the thuwed got renamed. it came from TCA

*tries it*

My gosh. 

This is revolutionary.

I can just put #cb, and add all my cb dergs to My 1st gen group in one swoop. Whaaaaaaat???

Why didn't anyone say anything?????!!!!

Also huh. When did they say that? 

5 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

*tries it*

My gosh. 

This is revolutionary.

I can just put #cb, and add all my cb dergs to My 1st gen group in one swoop. Whaaaaaaat???

Why didn't anyone say anything?????!!!!

Also huh. When did they say that? 

TJ's the one that accidently told us about the filters in reply to someone a few years back? People have been spreading the info far and wide since lol.

Like, within minutes of the new sprites being up lol.

1 minute ago, Tini said:

TJ's the one that accidently told us about the filters in reply to someone a few years back? People have been spreading the info far and wide since lol.

Like, within minutes of the new sprites being up lol.

Huh.

Thank you!

On 5/7/2021 at 10:52 PM, Tini said:

I've always loved the easy chart that gives you both 'days since creation' and 'time until death' with and without incubation. Makes it all really clear. Its very much a triple check your work. People made the same 'chart' in text form and posted it often within days of the release.

On 5/7/2021 at 7:55 PM, Stromboli said:

If you incubated your Siyat egg and then decide you want it to hatch into a purple Siyat, it means you need to wait until the "Time until death" reads 1 day or less for that egg. The Siyat colors are determined by the actual age of the egg, from time of creation, and incubate does not "speed up" the variation time the way it does hatching time. The egg must be five days old or older to hatch purple.

On 5/7/2021 at 5:54 PM, Lagie said:

Some people incubate right when they pick up their eggs so that would apply to their situation.

On 5/7/2021 at 7:12 PM, trystan said:

the "time until death" column and Fuzzbucket's time frames make the most sense to me for Siyats. 

all i know is that the purple ones i hatched were torture, seemingly taking forever.

I understand that incubate makes a difference in the timing, but please explain to me how the chart helps me reconcile when it is safe to hatch this egg.

When I took below screenshot, egg was at 2 days 22 hours.

Please explain to me how the chart (see attached; I am using the "Time Until Death" column) helps me reconcile when it is safe to hatch this egg. I want it to be a purple. According to this chart, I have to wait until 2 days 0 hours or under for it to be a purple without incubate. I do not believe that is correct. I believe the correct time is 2 days 23 hours to 0 days 1 hour. 

Unless I am mistaken and I have to wait until egg (unincubated) is under 2 days 0 hours old? I do not believe that is how I created my first Purple Siyat. I thought I hatched when it was 2 days 23 hours.

Two images are under spoiler.

Image of egg I want to make a purple Siyat:   And Wiki Siyat chart image.

IMG_4295.thumb.jpg.4982213a6cfe5fa913770c196e621d6f.jpg

Image of Wiki chart for Siyats:

IMG_4294.jpg

Edited by missy_

@missy_ it must be at 2d0h or under, not incubated, to get purple siyats. (if incubated, then it has to be 1d0h.)

Incubate does not make a difference in how long you have to wait, only what the text on the egg says.

You're probably misremembering, as in the DC chat there was a bit of an uproar around the time of release at having to wait so long for purples. The division of possible hatching times is perfectly even; 4-6 days left for green, 2-4 days left for blue, 0-2 days left for purple. (It is impossible to get a hatchling at 6-7 days left, so we shouldn't count it.)

1 hour ago, missy_ said:

egg I want to make a purple Siyat:

the time on your screenshot says 2d 22hours.

if you have not incubated it - in 22 hours - so it says 2d 0h, put it into hatcheries and hatch it and it will be purple.

Purple Siyats: an Exercise in Patience XD 

1 hour ago, Shadowdrake said:

@missy_ it must be at 2d0h or under, not incubated, to get purple siyats. (if incubated, then it has to be 1d0h.)

Incubate does not make a difference in how long you have to wait, only what the text on the egg says.

You're probably misremembering, as in the DC chat there was a bit of an uproar around the time of release at having to wait so long for purples. The division of possible hatching times is perfectly even; 4-6 days left for green, 2-4 days left for blue, 0-2 days left for purple. (It is impossible to get a hatchling at 6-7 days left, so we shouldn't count it.)

I must be misremembering. Maybe that is why I only have one purple Siyat on my scroll! XD Argh.

58 minutes ago, trystan said:

the time on your screenshot says 2d 22hours.

if you have not incubated it - in 22 hours - so it says 2d 0h, put it into hatcheries and hatch it and it will be purple.

Yes, I definitely have not incubated it. That is crazy! Exercise in Patience indeed! 

2 minutes ago, missy_ said:

That is crazy! Exercise in Patience indeed! 

yep, completely agree.  i want my eggs to hatch as soon as they can! XD the only reason i have two purple Siyat hatchies now is because someone send them to me already hatched! XD 

4 minutes ago, trystan said:

yep, completely agree.  i want my eggs to hatch as soon as they can! XD the only reason i have two purple Siyat hatchies now is because someone send them to me already hatched! XD 

Happy to help! :D

and @missy_, definitely 2d0h unincubated.

Edited by Lagie

The article on the wiki includes a citation to this post, which was pinned by moderators in the original release thread:

If there is evidence that those times are incorrect, then feel free to use the article's talk page to discuss it.

2 hours ago, Lagie said:

Happy to help! :D

:D 

also my grammar in that sentence was horrendous!

"the only reason i have two purple Siyat hatchies now is because someone sent them to me already hatched! "

yeesh.

i do speak english, honest.  it's my first (only!) language!

5 hours ago, trystan said:

Hahaha!!! When they first came out, I was busy in real life and kinda, just, forgot about them. So, with a panic, I rush back and get all purples without even trying. Hahaha!!!! I used to hatch and trade them, because I have room (and patience evidently :P ) but I haven`t done that in a while, maybe I should start doing that again. But everybody has theirs already, don`t they? The greens were worse for me, I guess I believe in benign neglect. :P 

Oh, and I did have a question. Is it terrible to keep the old sprites names on the new sprites, or should I just change them because, after all, the old sprites don`t exsist anymore? But then, it screws up the naming on the children, and sounds like too much work. 

4 hours ago, kzspot said:

Hahaha!!! When they first came out, I was busy in real life and kinda, just, forgot about them. So, with a panic, I rush back and get all purples without even trying. Hahaha!!!! I used to hatch and trade them, because I have room (and patience evidently :P ) but I haven`t done that in a while, maybe I should start doing that again. But everybody has theirs already, don`t they? The greens were worse for me, I guess I believe in benign neglect. :P 

Oh, and I did have a question. Is it terrible to keep the old sprites names on the new sprites, or should I just change them because, after all, the old sprites don`t exsist anymore? But then, it screws up the naming on the children, and sounds like too much work. 

I don't think your names will be a problem. The change in the sprites names likely had to do with that some were original names to the artist.

Will TCA have Spriter's Alt of 2011 Xmas(Blizzard Wizard) dragon now?    I hope so~

I think it has effectively been stated - no. Checkers with them are now regular checkers.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

That was regarding the old SAs though. What about TCA's CBs?

8 hours ago, kzspot said:

Hahaha!!! When they first came out, I was busy in real life and kinda, just, forgot about them. So, with a panic, I rush back and get all purples without even trying. Hahaha!!!!

heh, fair enough.

but when my eggs get to 4d23h or less, i like to incubate them to hatch them ASAP.

although it works out in this case, because the Siyat i have i want to be green.

8 hours ago, kzspot said:

Is it terrible to keep the old sprites names on the new sprites, or should I just change them because, after all, the old sprites don`t exsist anymore?

i thought about changing my Glory's names, because their last names are Daeglori and Niteglori. at first i said 'nah, they're fine' but now the names don't match the breed description.  so i need to think on this a little more.