angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Lift CB Valentine / Christmas Limit?

I believe the difference between Hallowe'en and the other holidays is Hallowe'en is a rather greed based one where get as many as you can, and the others are more charitable. I do recall TJ mentioning words to that effect.

I do not want to see the egg limits increased. Two is enough for everyone.

Two is enough for everyone.

Completely subjective, though. By the amount of users here supporting this, clearly two isn't enough for everyone. With upped limits, if you don't want more than two, then you wouldn't have to grab more than two. But with limits as they are, there is no compromise. There's no in between. You get to be happy but people who would like some more don't have any other options like you would if limits were upped.

~

As much as I enjoy how relaxed holidays typically are with a limit of two, I have to admit being able to grab four would be awesome so I could at least reach a gen 4 checker before needing to search or trade for specific eggs (things I usually don't do because I'm impatient and just want to grab or breed the eggs myself without having to be on for long periods of time and paying attention to search or trying to figure out the dern trade market so I know what to offer to get what I want). xP

I believe the difference between Hallowe'en and the other holidays is Hallowe'en is a rather greed based one where get as many as you can, and the others are more charitable. I do recall TJ mentioning words to that effect.

I remember that being TJ's intention too.

Which is why I think the limits should be raised. I still think a cap on the first 1-2 days that's lifted towards the end of the drop would be great.

1) less CBs this year means LESS dragons being bred next year to produce eggs for newbies/people that missed this year's dragon. Aegis were hard for me to get this year, the only reason this event was fun for me was because I have a fast internet connection and I could succeed most of the time, where slower players would miss out on the "rare" Aegis.

2) people that missed this years dragon and are trying to get CBs... are not very likely to get them because everyone else can only have two, and want to keep their two.

Really 2) should be a very compelling reason. If I had 6 CB christmases this year, I'd be happy to give a couple away to people who missed the drop completely. As it is, I know that if I gave mine to someone who missed the drop on the 25th - 28th, then I'll only ever have one, and that getting a second one for myself again would be close to impossible. If I wanted to gift two people, then I wouldn't have ANY.

Low limits limit gifting, they limit the dragons over all, they limit people's ability to get them. The people with slower internet or those who are busy are the ones losing out when there is a limit. Not the other way around. Yes many people would hoard them to themselves -- but people do that anyway... and more so when 2 is all you are ever gonna get. When things are scarce, people keep their valuable dragons to themselves.

Limits help players that are "rich". Limits inflate the price of 2nd Gens next year, it keeps next year's Snow Dragons rare and valuable. That's hardly in the spirit of giving -- I'll just trade my progeny away for rares, and those with a good connection will grab the handful that drop into the AP, while the slower players miss out or just get the messy leftovers that faster players don't want. If everyone had say, twice as many Snows this year, then next year it would be twice as likely for a new player to get a nice 2nd G Snow egg.

It's just sad seeing a few people post about how they couldn't be online and missed it. Those are still active players. If everyone had a ton of CB Snow Dragons, those people would be able to find someone to gift them or trade with them much, much easier... I would gladly give some away. But not when I just have two. That's why I'm posting.

Limits are supposed to be in the spirit of giving. :/ Except people cannot GIVE to others what they do not HAVE in the first place...

I'm against completely removing the limit since I don't like when "rich" players (those with cb prizes) hoard tons of cb holidays.

But I'm totally in to raise the limit to 4 (since I like even numbers). It is so sad to see the AP now, filled with eggs no one can catch

The holidays are unlimited at their time of release and there are scroll limits in place. Most "rich" players are trading for their large amounts of holidays or being gifted them just like anyone else. Also, I'm not sure how being a "rich" player is synonymous with hoarding tons of holidays.

I'd love any amount of holidays that I could have on my scroll.

The irony is that limits HURT generosity, rather than help it.

As myself and many others have mentioned, during Halloween we are very happy to breed CBs for others because we have enough to both work on our own projects and help people. With Christmas / Valentines? Nopeee. I only have two (or in many cases, one, as I froze CBs during the time they were limited to truly two ever), and that means I have to choose between creating or gifting. And, sorry, but creating wins. I gifted a good dozen CB Halloween breedings this year and offered more, even of the oldest dragons like Pumpkins and Marrows. I even gave away some CBs.

This Christmas? Not one. Valentines probably ain't happening, either. Why? Because I have so few to give.

And that's just on the charity front. Never mind that having 2 CBs only forces people to rely on others to make lineages, which opens up potential for dragons off your scroll to be killed and ruin the lineage. Especially we have Aegises now--a single Aegis going enraged in a 5g Pacified Aegis x Silver Lunar is going to totally spoil the whole line. And then at best we can only start two new lines for sure each year, and if your 2g prize dragon refuses one of your Valentines you only have one shot to replace it, etc etc etc.

Two is not enough for everyone or this thread wouldn't be here and filled with people in support. D.C. Is a COLLECTING game. I want to collect MORE dragons. The current limits not only shoot the proposed "these holidays are about sharing" idea in the foot, they also cause a host of other problems too. They're obsolete and need changing.

Actually - while I support upping it to four - there was a WALL of the new eggs for several hours last night. A lot of people DID gift to the AP.

Gifting to the AP and then catching more is the only way to gift, at least not without giving up precious eggs yourself. The people who missed out have to know to go to the AP and wait and watch for when those CB eggs appear. To some extent they'll be an easy catch because the majority of hunters got their two during the CB drop. But that wouldn't change if the limit was 4, and people would be more likely to personally give or trade away one or two after the drop was over. Especially people like Starscream, who apparently only want two, could specifically take four to give away two later.

I think four is a good compromise for now. Not too drastic, but lets us see what it would be like with more and maybe consider even more later.

I absolutely agree with the argument that limiting the winter and valentines holidays to two eggs hurts generosity overall. Other people have stated it very well, so I won't repeat them, just give my agreement.

4 would be nice. It would help avoid refusals and give more mate options, while keeping it from being as hectic as Halloween.

As far as gifting to the AP. A lot of that is code mining where people are trying to find a z code, or word code etc.

I don't agree with lifting the limit, but I think I'd like to raise the limit to 4. I'm already thinking about the kind of favors I'll need to be asking next Christmas in order to get a hold of the dragons I need with appropriate lineages.

Getting close to that time again, so bump.

As stated before I am very generous with Halloweens because I have enough to breed both for myself and others, while I very rarely offer up Christmas / Valentine breedings. Many other people are the same--it's hard to find what you need during those times as opposed to Halloween, where people actively seek out others to gift too. 

Even if a lift doesn't happen, a raise to 4 would be awesome. I think a raise to 8 with eggs dropping 3 days would work pretty well, too, but it could leave out some no trophy players without red dragons / the know how to ask for help incubating, whereas a limit of 4 runs no such gambles.

I strongly disagree with lifting the limits. I would be okay with raising the limit to 4, but fully removing it? No. Speaking as someone who 1) plays on mobile most of the time and 2) has slow internet, this would make hunting near impossible. Halloween is already enough of a challenge for me, and I only strive to catch 6 every year, which is far below the the numbers some people reach. The biomes are so laggy and busy during the holidays as is. 

I agree that being able gift CBs to those who missed them would be wonderful, but, as selfish as it might sound, that's not my main concern when I can barely catch enough eggs to complete my own scroll goals. I always give away any holidays I breed, but CBs hold a different spot for me. Sorry. 

Edited by The Dragoness

3 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

I strongly disagree with lifting the limits. I would be okay with raising the limit to 4, but fully removing it? No. Speaking as someone who 1) plays on mobile most of the time and 2) has slow internet, this would make hunting near impossible. Halloween is already enough of a challenge for me, and I only strive to catch 6 every year, which is far below the the numbers some people reach. The biomes are so laggy and busy during the holidays as is. 

I agree that being able gift CBs to those who missed them would be wonderful, but, as selfish as it might sound, that's not my main concern when I can barely catch enough eggs to complete my own scroll goals. I always give away any holidays I breed, but CBs hold a different spot for me. Sorry. 

Even with the conditions you listed, I don't think holiday hunting is that hard. Several times I've been visiting my dad on a mountain during Valentines day, hunting on a phone that takes a minute to load through his weak internet connection, and was still able to get holiday eggs. Alright, true, that's with limits... but during Halloween, without limits, there are still lots of times later in the day when you can just sit there and watch the eggs not move for 5 minutes because everyone is already locked. 

32 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Even with the conditions you listed, I don't think holiday hunting is that hard. Several times I've been visiting my dad on a mountain during Valentines day, hunting on a phone that takes a minute to load through his weak internet connection, and was still able to get holiday eggs. Alright, true, that's with limits... but during Halloween, without limits, there are still lots of times later in the day when you can just sit there and watch the eggs not move for 5 minutes because everyone is already locked. 

I'm busy with classes and work during the day, so I don't have a ton of time to watch the eggs sit in the biomes. Several times it's taken me up to an hour to catch just one egg on Halloween. Everyone has a different experience though. I'd also like to add that having three limitless releases back to back would put a lot of stress on players. It could be just me, but I find the holiday hunting and trading craze at Halloween to be tiring. Multiply that by three and you get a headache :lol:

8 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

I'm busy with classes and work during the day, so I don't have a ton of time to watch the eggs sit in the biomes. Several times it's taken me up to an hour to catch just one egg on Halloween. Everyone has a different experience though. I'd also like to add that having three limitless releases back to back would put a lot of stress on players. It could be just me, but I find the holiday hunting and trading craze at Halloween to be tiring. Multiply that by three and you get a headache :lol:

Ok, that IS pretty rough XD my sympathies! 

Unlimited definitely has stress (let me put it this way: I'm planning for Halloween NOW :P), but it's rewarding too. Although more and more I see a case for just higher limits. Christmas (and for some people, Valentines) tend to be much busier then Halloween, leaving less time for dealing with hunting and trading, and having a limit would also fit in with the generous themes of those holidays with not wanting to leave anyone out.

One big reason I could see to raise the limits for Christmas and Valentines but not remove them is the fact that Christmas and Valentines eggs drop for three days. Halloween eggs do not. If people could have a scroll full of Christmas or Valentines eggs, then come back two or three days later and get another scroll full, that's a lot of eggs in circulation. Halloweens are currently limited to one scroll full each plus whatever we can trade for (which is someone else's scroll full. So someone else ends up with less than a scroll full, because they chose to trade.) That would mean that I could theoretically have 16 CB eggs that I catch myself plus however many I chose to trade for as hatchlings. That's... a lot. I think if the limits were removed we'd lose the three day drops and that's not a good thing as those two holidays are busy for a lot of people.

Now the max scroll egg limit being upped to 8 (an even number that is also how many one needs for a proper checker, it's also exactly twice a no-tophy scroll) it just screams for the CB holidays (the 2 limited)  limits to get upped to a single platinum scrollfull (and exactly 2 no-trophy scrollfulls - possible with Incubation or pre-planned hatching aid from other user). Gives way more possibilities both in people's personal goals and in gifting. Players with platinum scrolls are likely to not hunt on the day 3 if they grabbed their 8 on day 1 and don't AP (and if they do, AP will likely be full of easy-to-grab CBs, a win-win anyway)

No matter if it's 4, 5 or 8 or whatever, 2 is simply not enough as people have shown... it's anti quite a bunch of goals, anti gifting, and unnecessary (eggs sit in the biomes even during the first drop day for these 2 holidays...)

No-limit is not necessary, but of 4 or 8 won't do any harm - most liekly it will benefit.

Edited by VixenDra

2 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

Now the max scroll egg limit being upped to 8 (an even number that is also how many one needs for a proper checker, it's also exactly twice a no-tophy scroll) it just screams for the CB holidays (the 2 limited)  limits to get upped to a single platinum scrollfull (and exactly 2 no-trophy scrollfulls - possible with Incubation or pre-planned hatching aid from other user). Gives way more possibilities both in people's personal goals and in gifting. Players with platinum scrolls are likely to not hunt on the day 3 if they grabbed their 8 on day 1 and don't AP (and if they do, AP will likely be full of easy-to-grab CBs, a win-win anyway)

No matter if it's 4, 5 or 8 or whatever, 2 is simply not enough as people have shown... it's anti quite a bunch of goals, anti gifting, and unnecessary (eggs sit in the biomes even during the first drop day for these 2 holidays...)

No-limit is not necessary, but of 4 or 8 won't do any harm - most liekly it will benefit.

Ooooh, you know, I hadn't even thought of that dimension! You're right--most platinum scrolls would get their full 8 on day 1, which means they could regift hatchies to noobies without reds on day 3 and then restock at no penalty to themselves. Heck, even bronze trophies would have 1 slot for regifting, if they chose! It would probably work out really nicely. (Yes, noobies who don't check the forums would still miss out on the extra 4... which is the main reason I can see going for 4 over 8... but still. Not too bad!)

And yes Fiona, you make a good point. The three days are very important and I'd stick with limits over removing them for sure. However I think a three day drop and a 4 egg limit (or 8 :P) would coexist quite nicely without letting anyone roll in mountains of holidays. :D

I really like the idea of the 8 limit. Not only does it allow for a good checker length, as well as lots and lots more gifting (with 4, I'd still keep them all myself, but with 8 I'd be willing to give some away) but I can just imagine incubate help in holiday news threads, or people incuhatching scrollfulls of eggs to gift away or dump to AP and recatch.

But whether the limit rises to 4 or 8, it can't stay at 2. Even 6 would be better. :P

I'd say this suggestion is mutually exclusive with the idea of CB holiday dragons returning, and if I had to choose between the two, it'd be bringing back CB Dragons for people who didn't get a chance to grab them.

But neither is confirmed for happening, so make of that what you will.

2 hours ago, TJ09 said:

I'd say this suggestion is mutually exclusive with the idea of CB holiday dragons returning, and if I had to choose between the two, it'd be bringing back CB Dragons for people who didn't get a chance to grab them.

TJ, I have to propose something. What if the few players who had CB Hollies all suddenly up and quit DC? Not saying that they wil, but what if they did? There's a lot of people who would love to get their hands on a 2g Holly but there's only so much those people who do have a CB can do. 

2 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Personally I'd love to see the return of past CB holidays, I'd rather see that over the limits lifted to be honest although I would be very happy to see that happen also. I think many of the older players have moved on for one reason or another and as Dalek pointed out, it's making it harder to get lower gen lines from the older breeds. Effectively the lower gens are becoming a dying thing which for players like myself means disappointment. I collect CB's primarily for all my dragons except where currently this is not possible like the holidays. I have to make do with 2nd gens from the years I missed which I don't like but it's the best I can make of the situation at present. If they were to return I think it would make many newer players happy because they have access to breeds they never did before and it would make older players who missed the events for whatever reason happy because they would get a second chance. I understand what your not committing to anything right now but I really hope that you think on this because I know it's something a lot of the community wish for. 

I don't see how this idea is mutual to the return of past holidays at all...  It's tricky to breed what you want with only 2 of them but when you can have only 1 like Aegies (Pacified/Enraged) what do you do when they refuse an irreplaceable mate?  

We really need to lift the limits or remove refusal entirely.

7 hours ago, TJ09 said:

But in what ways they are excluding one another? Except for your willing to introduce just one if any of course? I mean, in what ways ability to get let's say 8 CBs per holiday argues with ability to get CBs after initial release, except for your willing or not willing to give us both a less restricted limit and re-release of holidays (especially if it was via a shop or additional holiday biome instead of regular biome dropping, and even with regular biome dropping, and with limit of 2, there will be no way that 8 eggslots would filll with 2CBs of EACH past breed for new players + new breed anyway if that's the consern, people would have to prioritize anyway, why not let them have a wider choice spectrum depening on playstyle + encourage the gifting? Also if the past CBs dropped before the new breed, past breeds wouldn't have to go the new one into the way. Alternatively, past breeds could be limited to 2CBs PER YEAR - either up to the said 8CBs or even unlimited then with maximal numbers of CBs dependent on how many holidays a given player was there to take part in. I beleive there's more than 1 way to combine both upped limits and making CBs back in circulation)?

Edited by VixenDra

On 9/16/2017 at 7:16 AM, VixenDra said:

But in what ways they are excluding one another? Except for your willing to introduce just one if any of course?

There is nothing inherently mutually exclusive about the two, no, which is why I felt it important to chime in that yes, it is by my decree that I am indeed only willing to add one or the other.

If old Holiday CBs were to come back, it would be for the intended purpose of allowing "newer" players (or really, anyone who missed the original releases) to grab them. I could certainly just leave things without limits and then everyone could grab them (new or old), but the motive is better served by keeping demand (comparatively) low and ensuring that people who missed out in previous years have an easier time grabbing the limited eggs.

I generally try to be the source of as little stress around the various holidays as possible.