angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Lift CB Valentine / Christmas Limit?

I will echo those saying there's much more gifting during Halloween. I gifted over half the 2gs I bred this Halloween (~22 breedings gifted, I believe?), whereas this Christmas I gifted... one 2g. That's it. I also saw many more people offering Halloween breedings (often without success, as everyone had already gotten what they wanted!) then people offering Christmas breedings.

Aside from generosity, having higher CB limits really does make lineage building easier. As Cyradis said, most people only take lines out to a certain gen, and the more comfortably people can reach basic levels like 4g and 5g with things solely on their scrolls the better. I'm not sure why you don't see the newfound dilemma with Aegis dragons. Having two forms means that for those of us who want to keep a CB of each form, we HAVE to trade with other people to even make 3G even gen checkers. Trade knowing that someone could at any time change their Aegis form and drastically alter the look of the line--white and black aren't exactly interchangeable substitutes. And that's crazy! While you're right that for the IMMEDIATE future having CB limits raised wouldn't help with that, I still think it would help in the long run, either if 1) more spriters choose to make holidays with alt features or if 2) a way to obtain CBs of old holidays is someday added. Both of those things I think are realistic to see happening someday. And honestly? Even if neither case came to pass, extra CBs would still have their own merits both in increasing gifting and increasing ease of lineage making for future holidays.

That being said, I believe your main issue is the belief that more holidays = holidays being less special, which of course isn't related to the things discussed above. Obviously your viewpoint is your viewpoint, and that might not change. However for me, personally, holidays are special more because of their limited timeframe for collecting and their holiday themes, neither of which are going to change with CB limit increases or even old CB reavailability. CB Halloweens were never limited beyond breeding time, yet they have always been extremely treasured by me. They have awesome spooky designs and the frantic fun of trying to make as many great lineages with them as you can during a very limited once a year breeding week is a thrill average DC gameplay doesn't give me. It was also so nice to get together with lots of other people to swap eggs and gift. In contrast, for years and years Christmas and Valentines were godawful boring. You got your two new eggs and then you were done. No trading, no collecting, no real excitement or sense of community. Having the limits on bred ones lifted has made a HUGE difference in that (Valentine breeding week is my very favorite DC thing to do after Halloween!), and I think higher/lifted CB limits would make things even more awesome. So, again, while your viewpoint is your viewpoint, for me having more holiday dragons has made them far MORE special to me then having them highly limited ever did. My CB Valentines used to be little more than overblown scroll decorations, but now they are the living, breathing cornerstones of some of my most treasured lineages. smile.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Just to reiterate, again, that limits HURT charity--I've received several PMs asking for Valentines dragons that I've had to turn down because I have so few CBs and need them for my own lineages. In contrast, I give away dozens of Halloween breedings every year.

It's just silly that we're clinging to such a low limit for the sake of generosity when it has the opposite effect. >___<

Indeed. So many pretty lineage requests, so little chance to fulfill them ...

Well, I dunno. While I kind of support upping it to 4, I am getting loads of PMs just now, asking if I would LIKE anything bred, as the senders' CB Vals are all free for requests....

Edited by fuzzbucket

Well, I dunno. While I kind of support upping it to 4, I am getting loads of PMs just now, asking if I would LIKE anything bred, as the senders' CB Vals are all free for requests....

Omg, I'm jealus... I spent a week to arrange 2x Valentine 2g egg trades:/ Everyone who owned a CB Val09 and Heartseeker I could find got theirs spoken for before I asked. And it was still 2 weeks before the breeding period starts. And if I ask for a Val x Val egg (same with Christmas x Christmas), I need to trade 2 to 1 because 'this would waste 2 CB breedings'(meaning that normally they could get 2 eggs instead of 1 and it hurts because there are only 2 CBs per breed). So either you were extremelly lucky or I extremelly unlucky...

(While, for comparison, I got almost all 2x 2g Halloweens per breed for FREE, and nobody was repulsed by the 'CB breeding waste' for breeding 2g Halloween x Halloween.)

________

I'm for the lift to 4 or 8 (just simply not unlimited to avoid the Halloween fuss and greedyness) exactly for the reasons stated in OP.

I indeed had much less trouble getting 2g PB Halloweens for FREE than having TRADE offers accepted for 2g Val x Val and Christmas x Christmas (kind of pseudo PB)... It's all because of how little people have and most of the older breeds got spoken for before (and I'm looking for trades for those for about a week already)... And last CB Val.s (Heartstealings this year) are mostly open just for swaps...

While I personally need just 1 adult per breed (but grab 2 just in case if I needed to change the pairing in the future, and I keep all my dragons stricly monogamous as a scroll rule so can't re-use the other one) but I'm all for lifting the limits. Even though I will not need any other 2gens in the future... Even though I will not make use of that myself anymore, I'm totally for this suggestion.

the so tightly limited holidays cause greed, while were supposed to spread the opposite...

I'm surprised TJ din't rise the maximum number much earlier or at least for the Aegis release...

Edited by VixenDra

Just going to add in my support for a raised limit. I do agree that Valentine and Christmas dragons should have a limit, since it isn't a grab-everything-for-yourself kind of holiday like Halloween, but the limit of 2 is extremely small. 4 or 8, especially for alted breeds, would make a massive difference.

I'n not surprised. You've been around for at least 6 years, had a chance to develop your network. You're an exception, not the rule. The newer the players are, less chances they will have to get anything. Newbies have zero chance of getting anything decent, they will not get those loads of PMs offering eggs.

I'n not surprised. You've been around for at least 6 years, had a chance to develop your network. You're an exception, not the rule. The newer the players are, less chances they will have to get anything. Newbies have zero chance of getting anything decent, they will not get those loads of PMs offering eggs.

Honestly I'm not even sure it's that. I'm very active and have been around ages, and I still wasn't having luck getting 2g Valentine IOUs this year until I started to offer shinies for them. They're not easy to get paws on, dang it! >__<

No. It's sometimes hard enough as it is to get just two of them, considering they only drop for a day!

They drop for three days - or are you talking about Halloweens?

I don't have a NETWORK, really, and I don't half annoy people. But I guess you have a point ! But I tend to offer mine to new players, actually. For that very reason.

Honestly I'm not even sure it's that. I'm very active and have been around ages, and I still wasn't having luck getting 2g Valentine IOUs this year until I started to offer shinies for them. They're not easy to get paws on, dang it! >__<

Same here! And this is my first "real" Valentines as last year I literally joined 3 days before the event started...

And it looks like compared to Halloween and X-Mas that I won't be getting that many 2gs, and I was trading shinies and unbreedables. And I'm still not having much luck (just missing 2 or 3 dragons I want 2gs of >w<)

If that is because of the 2 dragon limit, I would definitely want it raised!

Both AP and cave are filled with new Valentines that no one's touching.

A limit of four would be nice... wink.gif

Agreed.

I could have 4 different breeding pairs and make a checker!

I certainly would not mind having a couple more of them. All of them really.

A limit of 4 would be nice, considering that eggs drop for three days and there are really no problems on catching the eggs.

On the contrary I'm against a higher limit, which would be not fair for new players with a lower egg limit on scroll.

And a limit of 8 eggs would basically mean that even players with a gold throphy (with a scroll limit of 7 eggs) will be in need to own a lowish gen prize or cb metals / other very rare things for trade to get the 8th egg and complete the group. Which would cause much drama to the others.

A limit of 4 would be nice, considering that eggs drop for three days and there are really no problems on catching the eggs.

On the contrary I'm against a higher limit, which would be not fair for new players with a lower egg limit on scroll.

And a limit of 8 eggs would basically mean that even players with a gold throphy (with a scroll limit of 7 eggs) will be in need to own a lowish gen prize or cb metals / other very rare things for trade to get the 8th egg and complete the group. Which would cause much drama to the others.

Not with a three day drop - all it takes to get 8 CB eggs is one Red dragon able to incubate.

I'd mostly like 2 breeds released for Valentines and Christmas... 2CBs per breed, which would give 4 eggs to grab, and even the begginer players can get 4 eggs, especially with a 3days drop. More interesting releases, a bit more CBs to get and more breeds! ^^

Then one breed could be female and the other male, and would be awesome if those would also somehow look good together if paired (e.g. 2 easterns, 2 westerns, 2 wingless or 2 serpent, 2 fluffy, etc. but with somehow different colors or sth), that would be a something. At least simply 2 breeds each year for those 2 holidays^^

I'd mostly like 2 breeds released for Valentines and Christmas... 2CBs per breed, which would give 4 eggs to grab, and even the begginer players can get 4 eggs, especially with a 3days drop. More interesting releases, a bit more CBs to get and more breeds! ^^

Then one breed could be female and the other male, and would be awesome if those would also somehow look good together if paired (e.g. 2 easterns, 2 westerns, 2 wingless or 2 serpent, 2 fluffy, etc. but with somehow different colors or sth), that would be a something. At least simply 2 breeds each year for those 2 holidays^^

That doesn't fix the underlying problem of having only two CBs of a breed, though.

Not with a three day drop - all it takes to get 8 CB eggs is one Red dragon able to incubate.

Even so - I'd like it to stick at 4 CBs. That's enough to make a checker from.

And no, PLEASE not a second breed. How does that help anything at all ? (Except one person's need for monogamy xd.png And for that - there are plenty of dragons who look lovely with all the holiday dragons.)

And no, PLEASE not a second breed. How does that help anything at all ? (Except one person's need for monogamy xd.png And for that - there are plenty of dragons who look lovely with all the holiday dragons.)

this has nothing to do with monogamy... sleep.gif (monogamy=1mate)

2 breeds is to make the releases at least a bit more interesting... with 2CBs and just 1 breed it's boring... a few seconds and you have your fill... And only one dragon breed a year... or 2 if you summ val.s+chris. while those are very different dragon types.

In addition to, you'd end up with two breeds of the opposite genders and you can plan lineages for both genders every year, not just one every 2 years. (now you're planning female mates for the newest holiday breeds)

For my need of monogamy I'd need an option to lock couples from breedign with other dragons, you know?

and for PB, Vals and Chris being both genders all the time.

2breeds releases don't do anything for the 2 above.

I'm pro DC growing.

Edited by VixenDra

this has nothing to do with monogamy... sleep.gif (monogamy=1mate)

2 breeds is to make the releases at least a bit more interesting... with 2CBs and just 1 breed it's boring... a few seconds and you have your fill... And only one dragon breed a year... or 2 if you summ val.s+chris. while those are very different dragon types.

In addition to, you'd end up with two breeds of the opposite genders and you can plan lineages for both genders every year, not just one every 2 years. (now you're planning female mates for the newest holiday breeds)

For my need of monogamy I'd need an option to lock couples from breedign with other dragons, you know?

and for PB, Vals and Chris being both genders all the time.

2breeds releases don't do anything for the 2 above.

I'm pro DC growing.

It's all a matter of perspective. I find holidays the most exciting time of the year, myself. Even if there's only one new breed, you also have over half a dozen old breeds that you can only collect once every year to stock up on. Plus, most normal releases only have one breed anyway... and I kind of like having one breed representing each holiday each year. Makes them feel like the definitive breed of that season rather than just one among two.

One possibility, though (which might actually fit your personal goals even better ^^) is if the limit were raised to eight then holidays could come in both genders like Halloweens do. I would rather not see both genders / two breeds if the limit was any lower than that, though, because then you run back into the "only two CBs of this specific breed/gender" problem, which while not a problem to everyone is a big one to me. Not sure how much you've browsed the thread (I'm home sick and not up to checking deeply, sorry!), but people have consistently said how they gift less during the "generous" holidays of Valentines / Christmas then they do during Halloween, because they have so few less CBs to go around and thus want to make lineages to keep for themselves. That wouldn't change with 2 breeds at a limit of 2 (I'd still only have 2 CBs of each type, and you can bet I could think of two pairings for each I'd like to have!) or with a two gender breed at a limit of 4 (then, again, I essentially have two male pairings and two female pairings, again making me want to keep). In contrast Halloween limits are so high that even with gender splitting I almost always have enough to both meet my needs and happily share with others.

Oh but it's HUGE fun collecting things like this from the AP....

http://dragcave.net/lineage/WIO1M

(I got loads of other good stuff there, too.)

There's LOADS of good stuff outside your few seconds and it's done.

ETA @ ADP - yes, but one of the wonderfullest things about holiday wall AP hunting like mad is not having to worry about influencing !

Edited by fuzzbucket

Oh but it's HUGE fun collecting things like this from the AP....

http://dragcave.net/lineage/WIO1M

(I got loads of other good stuff there, too.)

There's LOADS of good stuff outside your few seconds and it's done.

ETA @ ADP - yes, but one of the wonderfullest things about holiday wall AP hunting like mad is not having to worry about influencing !

Haha, I was actually thinking about the influence thing while writing. While I know it's a pain for some people, considering we already have to deal with it for Halloween and increasingly have to deal with it for Christmas (Holly & Mistletoe), I don't think it's a total deal breaker. xd.png although personally I rather agree with you, I'd prefer 4-8 of one gender than a split.

I'd only favor this in tandem with a longer breeding window. Double breeds = half the ability to build up lineages with each due to lack of time. Double breeds also = double the AP backlog, which is already a major complaint around every holiday.

One possibility, though (which might actually fit your personal goals even better ^^) is if the limit were raised to eight then holidays could come in both genders like Halloweens do.

Please no. I really appreciate that my Christmas/Valentine catches are (mostly - looking at you, Holly/Mistletoe) guaranteed to gender "correctly". It takes a ton of stress out of trying to plan a lineage. For example, I caught this and this with the intent of breeding the 2g pair to make a 3g Moonstone, then breeding the 3g Moonstone with the 3g Arsani to make a 4g. I would have been much less happy to make that kind of longterm plan if there was a chance Influence fails would ruin everything for a year+.

I'm down with bumping the CB limit though. The drop lasts 3 days; by the end of the first day the biomes are usually completely still. I hopped on in the last 10 minutes of Valentines Day to catch my two CBs; it took me all of 30 seconds, and that's because I opted to be picky about where I got them from. I don't think we need to worry too much about making holidays hard-to-catch just by raising the limit.