angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Lift CB Valentine / Christmas Limit?

Doesn't a thread like this already exist? This thread to be exact?

As far as I see it, extra limits make people more likely to hold onto their holidays and hinders gameplay, it may make catching slightly easier but there are other ways to do that, producing more eggs could do that without restricting everyone and the rush only lasts a few hours in the first place,after all the quick catchers fill up their egg limit then the eggs begin to sit longer and then it's relatively easy to grab em, I saw eggs sit for minutes before anything changed at one point and even then it was a 5 minute shuffle, not a bunch of catchers that caused the change. There is already a limit in place that dose it's job just fine, the egg limit.

Edited by blockEdragon

@DragonLady86

There are limits for the new holiday releases of christmas and valentines each year. You can only pick up 2, no matter how many slots you have. This is what is being talked about.

I would not mind raising the cap to 4, but I first want to ensure that old CBs are coming back like the Halloween ones have. That is more important to me.

I had a decent sized thing typed, but I'm very tired and not sure how much sense it made, so here are just the major points:

Unlimited catching

└►Everyone can breed to gift, but not many people want/need those gifts because they can now breed it themselves and/or only want CBs

####└►Multiclutch should be removed/lowered to spare the AP (Yes, I'm still betting it'll hit 0d 0h.) and give bred eggs some value.

Limited catching

└►People can now breed a bit of everything for themselves, but not all that they need/want

####└►Multiclutch still has a purpose, bred eggs maintain some demand/value

I personally think that the 2 CB limit is fine, but I wouldn't fight a small increase to 4 as long as there's some kind of limit that is not just growing space.

(Odds that I'll edit this post at some point tomorrow: Pretty high. Goodnight.)

Edited by 11th
Well, that didn't take long.

16 minutes ago, 11th said:

I had a decent sized thing typed, but I'm very tired and not sure how much sense it made, so here are just the major points:

Unlimited catching

└►Everyone can breed to gift, but not many people want/need those gifts because they can now breed it themselves and/or only want CBs

####└►Multiclutch should be removed/lowered to spare the AP (Yes, I'm still betting it'll hit 0d 0h.) and give bred eggs some value.

Limited catching

└►People can now breed a bit of everything for themselves, but not all that they need/want

####└►Multiclutch still has a purpose, bred eggs maintain some demand/value

I personally think that the 2 CB limit is fine, but I wouldn't fight a small increase to 4 as long as there's some kind of limit that is not just growing space.

(Odds that I'll edit this post at some point tomorrow: Pretty high. Goodnight.)

Why make an unnecessary limit? so a few Halloween eggs flood the ap, it's only for a week or so before the eggs evaporate into the code-void so it won't create a horrible year long clogging and even if the AP is full of eggs, once it becomes more then what the AP shows it doesn't really matter if the AP gets a ton of eggs, and if any of them die at 0 (which never happens, once something hit's ER it's almost automatically taken by SOMEONE, because it's basically a free hatchling) then they are dying on the ABANDONED pile, "Abandon the egg to -->die<--. Others may claim the abandoned egg and take it as their own.", it's all just more for the hunters on the AP.

I don't see a reason the eliminate something good purely because something else that was good came along unless it actually hurts game-play.

Edited by blockEdragon

I think the AP clog is why I've seen suggestions in the past that call for 'AP only egg slots'. Like.. say you have space on your scroll for 10 eggs actually, but only 8 of them can be CB, or whatever. Something like that. Probably has its own faults, though.

5 hours ago, Kyath The Dream Worker said:

I agree with raise CB christmas/valentine limits to 4 and re-release past CB christmas/valentine.

If this come true, we can have CB male Mistletoes, Blue winged solstices, Aegis(2 true form, 2 enraged form). And maybe able to get CB holy, Yulbuck, 09 Val..

Re-releasing past CB holidays were my one of daydreams XD

I don't think you will ever get CB male mistletoes. Their creators said influencing was only for bred ones, when the opportunity was first spotted.

I like that the limit is only 2. Sure, it would be nice to have another pair of Aegises to enrage, and another pair of Solstices in another color, but if there were no limits, catching Hollies would be nearly impossible for people with below-average internet connections. I guess I'm not too against a limit of 4, though.

I'd be in favour of increasing limits either to 4, or by 2 every year. I honestly don't think it'd create too much stress, all Halloweens are quite easy to grab from a single biome right now despite being unlimited. Only Hollies would be an issue but that should eventually even out a bit too if they were brought back multiple times. Now, TJ did mention quite recently it would be a one or the other kind of deal between bringing back old holidays and lifting limits completely:

I'm not entirely sure if that applies to raising limits as well, but if it does I would rather see CBs return than the limits raised.

36 minutes ago, Luxrayx said:

I like that the limit is only 2. Sure, it would be nice to have another pair of Aegises to enrage, and another pair of Solstices in another color, but if there were no limits, catching Hollies would be nearly impossible for people with below-average internet connections. I guess I'm not too against a limit of 4, though.

Hm, I don't know if the CB limit would apply to older breeds the same why it applies to newer breeds. I was under the impression that this was to raise the total for the new Chirstmas/Val of that year, and all previous years would be unlimited.

3 hours ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Hm, I don't know if the CB limit would apply to older breeds the same why it applies to newer breeds. I was under the impression that this was to raise the total for the new Chirstmas/Val of that year, and all previous years would be unlimited.

Well, it used to be that the limit didn't distinguish between bred/CB at all, because the cave itself did not; limits were lifted in their entirety back when we gained the ability to collect umlimited bred Holidays. I don't know if that lack of distinction is the case anymore, though. It's not like we have any way to tell.

3 hours ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I hope not; there would be pandemonium. I'd be fine with a limit of two CB on older ones.

29 minutes ago, fuzzbucket said:

I hope not; there would be pandemonium. I'd be fine with a limit of two CB on older ones.

This. Can you imagine the fits that people would throw it they saw a scroll of CB hollies and they had a hard time catching? Right now, the Halloween biome is pretty calm since most people are locked, but the Valentine's and Christmas breeds (especially the hollies) are even more sought after because their CB numbers are limited. I'd rather not have to fight 100's of people in the Christmas or Valentine's biomes just to be able to get my missing CB holidays--let alone any extras. Two is fine. Maybe a few more (like four or six) are fine. But no unlimited. 

2 hours ago, Jazeki said:

This. Can you imagine the fits that people would throw it they saw a scroll of CB hollies and they had a hard time catching? Right now, the Halloween biome is pretty calm since most people are locked, but the Valentine's and Christmas breeds (especially the hollies) are even more sought after because their CB numbers are limited. I'd rather not have to fight 100's of people in the Christmas or Valentine's biomes just to be able to get my missing CB holidays--let alone any extras. Two is fine. Maybe a few more (like four or six) are fine. But no unlimited. 

I wouldn't. I'd be happy enough knowing that I could eventually get one. Just because Hollies are rare, I would not want to have to impose a limit on them, because if we do, we have to limit all the  not-rare Christmas and Valentines Holidays.. and I don't want that.
(Plus if someone has all Hollies, that's a good bet they're a scripter. That or a Prize owner.. which is still overpowered).

I'm not going to lie. I would be one of those people who would feel bad if they saw a scroll full of CB Hollies. Not because I would be mad at that person for being lucky, but because I know I probably won't ever own one, and it bugs me to not have CBs of every breed for scroll completion reasons. My internet and reflexes are just too slow. I was extremely lucky to be able to catch multiple CB Pumpkins this year, which is why I gave many of them away. Most people are not and will never be lucky when it comes to catching super special limited CB rares. Plus those things take time, which a lot of us don't have, especially during the holidays.

I don't care if the limit is 2 or 4. I just want limits. I already stated my reasons for why a few posts up. I don't intend to sound grouchy here, so I'm sorry if I come across that way. I just feel that Christmas and Valentines events should never turn into what Halloween was this year, as fun as camping in the Halloween biome was. It doesn't make sense for them.

19 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I wouldn't. I'd be happy enough knowing that I could eventually get one. Just because Hollies are rare, I would not want to have to impose a limit on them, because if we do, we have to limit all the  not-rare Christmas and Valentines Holidays.. and I don't want that.
(Plus if someone has all Hollies, that's a good bet they're a scripter. That or a Prize owner.. which is still overpowered).

If they were unlimited, it would be pretty easy for a person to fill their scroll with CB hollies without being a scripter or a prize owner if they have a super fast computer/device or enough trading power (just like people have filled up on predominantly old CB Halloweens now). We have a two-CB limit in place now and that's fine for old CB (non-Weenie) holidays. It should stay that way or increase minimally. I'm not sure which CB holidays you think count as uncommon or "not-rare" as you put it, but I don't like biome camping to get what I need. Think of the people who are new players who have all of the old breeds to get. 

@Jazeki I have 60mbps internet. Having faster internet does not make it easier to catch. That is a myth. But as far as needing to biome camp, just cause you don't like doing it, doesn't mean they have to stay limited. I don't like the mentality a lot of old players seem to have, that just because they don't like something, it can't be put in. Even if it wouldn't hurt them. Would it hurt me if someone can get 8 CB Hollies? No. I probably won't be able to get one even if the limit stays 2.

The only thing on this site that has ever hurt the average player was the raffles.

And I'm not going to ump through hoops and try to think of the newbies and how they would feel. I'm going to think about what I want. I want to be able to get what I want to be self sufficient over time. I don't want to have to depend on trades with anyone anymore.

It does make it slightly easier to catch, just like having faster reflexes does, because you're loading the page slightly faster and are less likely to have to have the biome hang for a minute because your internet threw a temper tantrum (My internet is, ah, not so stable? And it's still the better option because lolmonopolies??).

That said, it's not so much of an advantage as people make it out to be... And more importantly, we have no way of knowing if it's even possible for limits to exist only for CBs; after all, both CBs and bred dragons have lineage pages, so the current gen counting system could be doing something related to that, in a way that isn't interacting the the basic cave stuff.

e: For the unaware, current CB limits are to the best of my knowledge done with temporary limits that are removed after the last becomes and adult but  before the next breeding season rolls around.

Edited by Guillotine

57 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

@Jazeki I have 60mbps internet. Having faster internet does not make it easier to catch. That is a myth. But as far as needing to biome camp, just cause you don't like doing it, doesn't mean they have to stay limited. I don't like the mentality a lot of old players seem to have, that just because they don't like something, it can't be put in. Even if it wouldn't hurt them. Would it hurt me if someone can get 8 CB Hollies? No. I probably won't be able to get one even if the limit stays 2.

The only thing on this site that has ever hurt the average player was the raffles.

And I'm not going to ump through hoops and try to think of the newbies and how they would feel. I'm going to think about what I want. I want to be able to get what I want to be self sufficient over time. I don't want to have to depend on trades with anyone anymore.

Is there a reason this is in bold? For emphasis? Your internet experience is different than mine. Mine is different than yours. I said that it would be easy for some people to get a scroll full of CB hollies without cheating or being a "prize owner." I own two 2nd gen  prizes. Does that mean I can trade and get my hands on whatever I want? No. I'm entitled to my own opinion about biome camping and after living through the single cave of Valentine's 2009 and getting nothing for my efforts, I stand by the idea that wasting hours in a biome is not worth the trade off of unlimited CB dragons. Sure, it doesn't hurt anyone that a person could have 24+ CB hollies at the end of their Christmas season, but it's nicer to not have to worry about planning the holiday around how much scroll space I may or may not have.  

Also, IDK why it even matters how long I've been playing. I like to consider how new players feel because I'm nice and I was once new, too. It's hard to get your hands on so many breeds with four or five slots.  My first holiday was a gift from a generous older player. I don't want to have to depend on trades, either and I usually don't because hey, I am an old player and apparently that comes with perks. Still I'd rather not have to contend with two additional "unlimited CB  holiday" event biomes  because I have a life outside of DC. 

Edited by Jazeki

@Jazeki It's in bold because the new forum software is trash and bolded it automatically after doing @'name'. In fact it did it again and clicking bold to try and make it go away just makes it more bold. Good job forum.

And newbies now can count themselves lucky they can even get these dragons as CBs if the Halloween changes are kept for christmas/Val. Why even complain that it might be difficult for them to get when before they couldn't even get them at all? DC has finally made a step in the right direction to be more accommodating to its players.
Never mind that some nice people have been throwing a lot of CB halloweens into the AP. I've even picked up a few. I doubt anything but Hollies will be hard to get. And if I can't get one this year, I'll live with it, because eventually I will be able to when the hype dies down.

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

@Dragon_Arbock By that logic, if newbies should count themselves lucky, all players should count themselves lucky that we have the Halloween biome (and possibly future holiday biomes) and be grateful that we can get anything at all. Why should anyone ask for increased limits or unlimited CB dragons at all? We should feel lucky and grateful ( which I do feel because I could get more dragons I missed out on). And I wasn't complaining anywhere in any of my posts. I'm not sure how citing my experiences counts as complaining, but okay. You can have your opinion and I'll have mine. I still don't want unlimited CB Valentine's or Christmas dragons.  

Edited by Jazeki
grammar bleh

@Jazeki I am counting myself lucky that we have the Halloween biome. Honestly if this kind of change didn't come to the game, I was going to quit. you know why? It's no fun having to depend on other people to make the kinds of Lineages I want.With the names I want.
I think it makes no sense for there to be no limit on Halloween CBs, but to have limits on Christmas and Valentines. Everything should be equal.

*pastes your name in  after so message doesn't bold*

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

A long time ago TJ posted quoting a Halloween-dragon spriter as saying that the reason CB Halloweens are unlimited and CB Christmas/Valentines are not is because

"In the words of the pumpkin dragon's creator, Christmas and Valentine's Day are about giving, but Halloween is about grabbing as much candy for yourself as you can".

Honestly that sounds like a good enough reason for me. The other holidays have a spirit of giving to them, you give presents, candy, your time, love, etc. Halloween is about taking, grabbing all the candy. I completely support the other holidays continuing to have a CB limit for that simple reason.

I would love to see a *raise* in the CB limits, though. A limit of 4 would mean that even people at the current limit would be able to get two more, so no one would be left out, no one would be unable to get more. I would also support a by-year limit, like maybe you could get 2 more CBs each year. But since TJ has been quoted as saying it's either re-releasing CB holidays *or* increasing limits, I'd much rather have the re-release.

And many, many members have pointed out how the limits just induce[/i] hoarding behavior of those holidays while the lack of limits reduces it during halloween, at least as is. I still think that's a bad reason for such strict limits.

But again, that's irrelevant to the issue of we don't even know if old Holidays CAN have limits anymore, not without releasing all the dragons on your scroll. There's still no evidence that the cave can distinguish between CBs and bred dragons on a basic level.

Edited by Guillotine

11 hours ago, blockEdragon said:

Why make an unnecessary limit? so a few Halloween eggs flood the ap, it's only for a week or so before the eggs evaporate into the code-void so it won't create a horrible year long clogging and even if the AP is full of eggs, once it becomes more then what the AP shows it doesn't really matter if the AP gets a ton of eggs, and if any of them die at 0 (which never happens, once something hit's ER it's almost automatically taken by SOMEONE, because it's basically a free hatchling) then they are dying on the ABANDONED pile, "Abandon the egg to -->die<--. Others may claim the abandoned egg and take it as their own.", it's all just more for the hunters on the AP.

I don't see a reason the eliminate something good purely because something else that was good came along unless it actually hurts game-play.

I don't care if the eggs die, that itself is not the issue. The issue is that it means that those eggs are blocking the AP for up to two weeks. The issue is that it means that there aren't enough players to pick up the ever multiplying number of eggs that are bred every year as more and more Halloweens come into existence. Halloweens are almost worthless outside of CBs, Spriters' Alts, and Prizekin right now, and it's only going to get worse every year.

All of this is going back to an earlier point: Everyone would be able to gift, but almost no one would need/want most of those gifts because things will be too easy to access. I don't recall ever gifting any holiday eggs from my Halloweens outside of three SA pairs and one Pumpkin because I've never seen the demand for the rest. (Heck, most of them have never been bred in season.) I do breed and gift a number of my common x Winter Holiday and Valentine's checkers every year, though, because the limit means that people will need them for lineages, even if that just means hunting on the AP for certain pairs.

Edited by 11th

34 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

A long time ago TJ posted quoting a Halloween-dragon spriter as saying that the reason CB Halloweens are unlimited and CB Christmas/Valentines are not is because

Honestly that sounds like a good enough reason for me. The other holidays have a spirit of giving to them, you give presents, candy, your time, love, etc. Halloween is about taking, grabbing all the candy. I completely support the other holidays continuing to have a CB limit for that simple reason.

I would love to see a *raise* in the CB limits, though. A limit of 4 would mean that even people at the current limit would be able to get two more, so no one would be left out, no one would be unable to get more. I would also support a by-year limit, like maybe you could get 2 more CBs each year. But since TJ has been quoted as saying it's either re-releasing CB holidays *or* increasing limits, I'd much rather have the re-release.

I'm with you here. Absolutely.

8 minutes ago, 11th said:

Halloweens are almost worthless outside of CBs, Spriters' Alts, and Prizekin right now, and it's only going to get worse every year.

Worthless ? How so ? Having loads more means we can build more exciting lineages and so on. I do wish this place would stop thinking of everything in terms of trade value and "worth".