angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Lift CB Valentine / Christmas Limit?

personally I've never had trouble getting halloween CBs, especially by the time I wake up in the morning. I think the limits on CB holidays definitely need to go up- valentines, personally, I think should be unlimited, and I can understand the limit of 4 for Christmas to make sure other people get them- but I don't think it will be that much of a problem. Perhaps jsut make it a limit that you can only pick up 2-4 and that you can get more, but you have to trade for them. if other people want to trade them they're welcome to, but no one is forcing them. That might cause a whole shlew of other problems, but its a thought, I suppose.

ADP, I do see your point. Valentines isn't a big family holiday. But for the people who do celebrate it, it can mean dedicating the day to your SO. I can imagine quite a few people being rather severely peeved if their SO takes any significant amount of time away to catch pixel eggs. Yes, they don't have to, but it's an unnecessary temptation. The only way to remove that temptation would be to have it be unlimited, but only two days drop so they can pick up their eggs on the 15th without losing out on anything. One day means it has to be the 14th or nothing, three days means you have to pick up a first batch on day 1 if you're going to be able to get batch 2 on day 3.

The best way to remove that temptation you are talking about is making the holiday dragons not drop on the holiday they are based on, but rather 1 or 2 days after that holiday (or before, but I think after is better, because you often prepare the days before to celebrate with the people you want to celebrate to). So, for example, the Valentine dragons will not start dropping on the 14th day of february, but in the 15th or 16th day of february. Christmas is still an oddball, since a week after Christmas there is often New Year's Eve, which is another family-gathering celebration. I still think there should be some limits, but they should not be too restrictive.

Just make everyone's limit go up by 1 per year if you don't want no limits.

You mean that people who have been here since 2007 could pick up 11, while people who just got here would have the base limit of 2? That seems....unfair. (the only other way to interpret it is that your CB limit for each breed increases by one per year for each breed, that would only work with CB releases of old breeds) And based on what TJ said about math in the old "let us have more xmas/valentines holidays" thread, he wouldn't go for it anyways. (he basically didn't like any limit other than "you can have X" or "you can have as many as you like")

Personally, I think the limits are fine as they are right now. My CB Christmas and Valentine dragons are more special for it. If anything were to change, I wouldn't mind the limits being raised slightly, but definitely not removed altogether. Call me sentimental but it would be sad seeing Christmas and Valentine eggs/hatchlings being traded around the way CB Halloweens are. The limits actually make these seasonal events feel different.

So even though I love the concept of unlimited, I am strongly against it for Christmas. But I'd love the limit bumped up to 8, with the 3 day drops.

If that's all we can get... support.

I think that slightly lifting the limits would make them easier to get second gen's and such so i think that is a good idea, but not lifting it entirely as that would make them too common.

Considering that the current maximum scroll limit is 7, I'd suggest keeping the limit to 6; otherwise, we have an odd number (would annoy some people, I think) or more CBs than we could have as eggs on one scroll. I don't like having to rush through hatching things so that I can grab more; it feels greedy.

Christmas draws ever closer, and all I want for Christmas is this!

*sings*

All I want for Christmas is my..... 8 Dragon limit

xd.png

Cheers!

C4.

Even if we can't get 8 this time, how about an increase to 4? I can understand not wanting to quadruple the limit all at once, but going up to 4 can't hurt anything.

Yes, seriously. I'd love the limit to be raised to four; having it last year would have been a godsend...

Specially with the darn form changing Aegis >___< such a cool mechanic, such a PITA with a highly limited holiday breed. :/

The limits are ok.

The current limits??? The suggested limits??? What does okay mean - you're okay if things change and okay if they don't? You don't want things to change? What?

I like the CB limits. I've actually never been a super huge fan of Halloween CBs being unlimited, and if I had my druthers there would be like an 8 or 10 CB limit on Halloweens as well.

Ultimately though it doesn't really affect me negatively for Halloweens not to be limited, but I think that the other two holidays being so much more limited makes them feel by far more precious.

I love my [non-Halloween] CB holidays and it does make it easier in terms of breeding and collecting to have them limited to two. But then the following year, I can load up on an "unlimited" amount of them if I so choose. They just happen to not be CB the next year. I don't think that the number of CBs that a person can have affects how special they are to the whole DC userbase. I have two CB marrows. Are they more special than my 11 Desipis dragons? No. Are they less special than my one CB snow angel or CB sweetling. No. The number that we have doesn't always correlate with how special they are. I chose or was only able to catch those few dragons on that holiday. The fact that they are CB does make them special. Giving a user the ability to have four or six or eight holiday dragons does not do anything to make your dragons less special. It does give people more chances to have more CB dragons that they love. These eggs often just sit by the 3rd day. Also, the Christmas holiday is the time when spriters usually get "frisky" with their spriting. Because of my playing style and current limits, I can only have one of each Aegis kind. I would have liked more than one of each. The creativity is starting to bleed into other holidays as well (blinky witchlight eggs). Why not make it easier for the user base as a whole to have more than two dragons to accommodate creativity or be able to do more than wait for the return of regular eggs?

Edit: You/your is general. Excuse typos as this was a mobile reply.

Edited by Jazeki

Honestly I find limits make things more annoying than special.

Halloween is my favorite of all the DC holidays because there's so much to be done. Breeding for people... trying to trade for extra CBs... planning out big lineages... these are all things that are possible (or at least, far easier to do) because of a lack of limits.

Christmas / Valentines, in contrast? I don't usually breed CBs for people because I need those precious two (or one, in many cases, as I used to freeze when we had a two-per-breed limit) for my own projects. Trading for extra CBs isn't a thing, I just grab my two in a minute and we're done here. Planning big lineages? Again, a total pain because 1) I only have two CBs and 2) OTHER people only have two CBs, which limits how many lineages are being created and how willing people are to share them.

Plus, as Jazeki mentioned, Christmas in particular is becoming extra crazy on top of the already-existing craziness of being a limited once-a-year breed. Aegis effectively give people 1 CB of each form, while posing a risk that someone could change their Aegis on your 5g checker and change the whole look. An awesome mechanic that becomes maddening with such low CB limits. Then there's now-both-gendered Mistletoes, Hollies already had that as a thing, multiple Snow Angel colors, multiple Solstice colors... all really cool mechanics that are exhausting on limited once-a-year breeds. A higher CB limit would help these mechanics become the awesomesauce they're meant to be as opposed to the often frustrating chaos they are right now. And, while Valentines don't have any weird mechanics, many of my favorite breeds are in their ranks and I would love to have more CBs so I could start more than one or two new lineages a year with them.

Also to reiterate... while I would love a really high limit or no limit, I think raising the limit to 4 is a first step that would displease next to no one. So let's start there and see how it goes. If nothing else, it's helping to keep all the CB Christmas / Valentines dragons that sit in the cave unclaimed from going to waste. Everyone in the cave can get 4, so newbies won't be excluded, and with a three day drop still in place things should be as easy to get as ever.

I would like the limit raised to 4, particularly if we're going to get more breeds that can be either gender. Plus right now Christmas holiday and Valentine's day breeds are never dimorphic. I had had a thought for one but chose not to make it because it would just be frustrating to only get one of each CB. Raising the limit would allow a little more flexibility for the artists.

As for the argument that lots of them "just sit there going to waste" toward the end of the drop - I would expect to see that no matter how many we are allowed. We want everyone to be able to get their limit. The three day drop plus flood ensures that if they log in and start clicking they'll get their dragons. So they aren't really "going to waste", the cave is just making sure a surplus is generated so that everyone can get theirs. If they were coded in a way that there were none left at the end of the three days you can be sure there would be some people who missed out.

I'd like to run with four - but not more than that.

As for the argument that lots of them "just sit there going to waste" toward the end of the drop - I would expect to see that no matter how many we are allowed. We want everyone to be able to get their limit. The three day drop plus flood ensures that if they log in and start clicking they'll get their dragons. So they aren't really "going to waste", the cave is just making sure a surplus is generated so that everyone can get theirs. If they were coded in a way that there were none left at the end of the three days you can be sure there would be some people who missed out.

Ah no, I totally get that we need that surplus and that no amount of limit raising would ever 'save' all the eggs.

But at the same time, it seems silly to have CB eggs sitting there basically untouched for the extra two days after the holiday while there are tons of us who would love to get and use them. A higher limit would let people get a bunch of those tasty extra eggs without hurting anybody.

Also in terms of "max" limit I think I'm still leaning 8, especially if an extra slot for being around a long time is ever added. As Cyradis has said many times, even newbies could get all 8 if they had a mere 4 incubates, or other players willing to help out. Even if some newbies didn't get the max, that's already the situation often enough with Halloween, missing new releases due to being unaware of them to begin with, and so forth. And at the same time 8 would be a reasonable amount to both justify keeping a three day drop and making people not feel compelled to spend all their holiday time trying to trade for even more CBs, which would help keep that nice calm feel we have now.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

But allowing more CBs wouldn't help that.

The CB limit argument was to make it easy for people to get the dragons.

Clearly it's dead easy at present and would be even with higher limits / no limits.

So annoying to have all these CB lovely Christmas dragons sitting in the cave not moving when people would love to collect them.

I hope to see the day limits are lifted. Accompanied by the re-release of past Holiday CBs. Both would be a real dream!