TJ09

2014-10-22 - Dragon Encyclopedia

For some reason no matter how many ice dragon eggs I click the observed # for that count stays at 0...

EDIT: It appears no eggs count if I access the lineage links first before the view page. Perhaps it is something to do with direct links.

Edited by Ashywolf

I have noticed a small increase in views on my dragons that aren't in incubators at the moment.

I love DC and have been playing for a long time. I think 2007 since. Most of the time I really like what goes on with this game. I see the advantage for new users but as a longer time member it is kind of disappointing.

I have not started collecting since I am not sure if there will be a Halloween release. I have a feeling that the catch, click and abandon method may catch on as people get tired. I don't want to add to the dumping. If the release (or lack of) is covered, my apologies, the real world does not always allow me time to read everything here.

Instead of numbers could we get a check or X by dragons we already own? I understand how the numbers could be a problem and this would be a kind of reward for our work. It took me to this day to get the ones I have and I am still short a Coastal, Holly, and all of the reward, summons, and neglected. I don't want to start from scratch just to open the book.

I'm not sure I get the "even the playing field" thing. If I become a knew player in a game like this I expect to work up the ladder.

I've been a DC player since Summer of 2009 and even though I do love this new feature, I wish the dragons I collected over the years would count.

The only thing I wish my dragons counted towards is allowing me un-shadowed pictures and maybe a bit of basic information. All the extra information I wouldn't have minded clicking to find out. But, I'm sure that's another mater entirely as far as coding. So I guess I understand.

As it stands... I'm at scratch. The encyclopedia is a good idea... However, since we are starting from scratch and click, click, clicking for even the basics it is more like a new game rather than an addition to this one.

I appreciate the time spent putting it together and I do enjoy the extra info.

As it stands... I'm at scratch. The encyclopedia is a good idea... However, since we are starting from scratch and click, click, clicking for even the basics it is more like a new game rather than an addition to this one.

This is how I understand it. To me, it's a new mini-game. With that in mind, it makes sense to start everyone at 0 but with the ability to observe all the dragons you've raised previously to count toward getting information. I do wish that the stats were accurate - that is, I've raised X number of the breed, but X since 10-22-14 that count toward the encyclopedia. The little inaccuracy there drives me nuts.

However, since I see it as such - a mini-game that is meant to take a long time to complete - I'm happy with it. I'd rather my old dragons didn't count toward unlocking information other than through observation. I understand the folks that aren't pleased with that, though.

This is how I understand it. To me, it's a new mini-game. With that in mind, it makes sense to start everyone at 0 but with the ability to observe all the dragons you've raised previously to count toward getting information. I do wish that the stats were accurate - that is, I've raised X number of the breed, but X since 10-22-14 that count toward the encyclopedia. The little inaccuracy there drives me nuts.

However, since I see it as such - a mini-game that is meant to take a long time to complete - I'm happy with it. I'd rather my old dragons didn't count toward unlocking information other than through observation. I understand the folks that aren't pleased with that, though.

This pretty much sums up how I feel on the matter. Yes, the dragon count's ambiguously-worded, but ultimately the Encyclopedia isn't about counting the dragons you have - it's about finding out more about dragons (and chickens). It does bug me a little too that the stats don't reflect my total dragon count, but it's mostly just me being obsessive-compulsive. The Encyclopedia does do what it was originally intended to do - tell us more about dragons - and I'm glad that it managed to do that, even if most people would like other features as a part of it not to look like it offers other features and then not deliver on them after all.

Edited by Ponystar17

CuteDragons  Posted on Oct 23 2014, 04:56 PM

Can't own or observe a bright pink egg sad.gif

GO BRIGHT!!

Click on a pink and go to lineage cause a lot have the Old Pinks in the lineage

Click on a pink and go to lineage cause a lot have the Old Pinks in the lineage

That doesn't help unlock eggs, though. Frills have the same problem.

In other news, I have observed 31 ND hatchies and 280 ND adults! xd.png That's not enough, though - apparently I need to raise 34 more hatchlings (or observe 169 more hatchlings). Challenge accepted...

Great idea, it's quite fun. The only thing I really don't like is that it doesn't count the dragons I already have. I would have been cooler if I could see their count. Now everywhere says I have zero from this breed. I could observe, no problem, but I want a counter, too.

"You have raised 0 Nhiostrifes" ....*dies a little inside* ;_;

BUT this is a COOL NEW FEATURE! I love it! Can't wait until more info is added for some breeds.

And what would even be even more awesome is if they added like real artwork of the dragons and not just sprites. Like niceee computer-painted detailed pics right above the sprite line-up. NOW that would just make it. I don't expect it tho. ^^

As far as I can gather many users think like me - that there should be a working counter. This is just too tiresome. My hand literally hurts from clicking and I've really gathered nothing. I don't see why I have to click 60 times Black dragons (just adults) when the counter can just take the stats from my scroll. Or to click Stripes 150 times (just adults). There is no point it this. I'm not planning to breed all my dragons again in order to get the counter working. Most of all Halloween is coming and no-one will risk not having space for the new release. I think that this feature should be reconsidered because it's simply not worth it to start from scratch when you've played DragCave for years. The new users will have fun catching dragons for a first time ever and seeing their stats but when you already have hundreds of dragons you are not going to start making hundreds again. And clicking is not really an alternative. It becomes quite time-taking and tiresome.

Meh. If I ever get it filled in, great. If not, no skin off my nose. I wasn't too hyped about this in the first place. I'm not going to recollect/click thousands of dragons just to fill it in either.

I do wish there was a breed tracker/counter though. It would have been a cool feature with the encyclopedia, but since it's not, I hope it gets released as a separate feature or an add on in the future.

Is there a reason some breeds aren't showing up? I've clicked all of my Brute dragons and like 10 or 15 hatchlings/eggs in the last 24 hours but my encyclopedia keeps saying it's locked. (Unless I'm mistaking the silhouette of another species for a Brute)

Is there a reason some breeds aren't showing up? I've clicked all of my Brute dragons and like 10 or 15 hatchlings/eggs in the last 24 hours but my encyclopedia keeps saying it's locked. (Unless I'm mistaking the silhouette of another species for a Brute)

Brutes should be between Brimstones and Canopies (third or so row from the top). If they aren't showing, make sure you're logged in, and make sure you're actually clicking on dragons and going to their view page rather than looking at lineages?

Otherwise you might want to check the following thread, as a few other people seem to be having similar issues: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=164309

It's cool and all, I suppose, though it hasn't made me excited enough to start clicking and raising a bajillion dragons once more. Maybe I'll give it a look every once in a long while.

I do hope this doesn't create more constringent rules on descriptions, though. I prefer having the option to reject specific 'canon' lore, and it'd be extremely off-putting to see constant rejections like:

"Rejected because Black dragons have acidic saliva and therefore can't lick popsicles."

It's cool and all, I suppose, though it hasn't made me excited enough to start clicking and raising a bajillion dragons once more. Maybe I'll give it a look every once in a long while.

I do hope this doesn't create more constringent rules on descriptions, though. I prefer having the option to reject specific 'canon' lore, and it'd be extremely off-putting to see constant rejections like:

"Rejected because Black dragons have acidic saliva and therefore can't lick popsicles."

Nooo, not the popsicles! D8

But Sock, at least, has said that mods will likely just continue approving based on breeds' on page info. Which is only fair--punishing someone for not following information they might not have access to yet (or even know existed!) would be rather unreasonable xd.png

Phew, that's a relief then =o Now I can take my sweet time coming across the new lore (psh yeah right).

One of the ... oddities I find is that it's supposed to be an Encyclopedia. When has there ever been an encyclopedia that needed to be "unlocked"? These are volumes that simply present information, so the function just seems a little off to me.

As stated before, I've never been wild about this addition. If I need info, I'm happy to head to the Wiki, and I have my own canon that some of this may conflict with. *shrugs*

For those who like a challenge, I'm thrilled this will keep them busy for a while. I like my game simple and will just stick to doing what I already do. No worries.

This is not fair... I have a rather exact scroll goal which I have met for nearly all breeds. I do not want to raise/breed more of those dragons. All I would wind up doing is dumping them into the Wilderness because I do not want them on my scroll.

Is there any way for someone who already has adults to get the encyclopedia for their dragons unlocked? I'm willing to hatch eggs from the AP to hatchlings ad nauseum while awaiting new egg types, can that count toward it?

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

This is not fair... I have a rather exact scroll goal which I have met for nearly all breeds.  I do not want to raise/breed more of those dragons.  All I would wind up doing is dumping them into the Wilderness  because I do not want them on my scroll.

Is there any way for someone who already has adults to get the encyclopedia for their dragons unlocked?  I'm willing to hatch eggs from the AP to hatchlings ad nauseum while awaiting new egg types, can that count toward it?

Yes, you just have to "observe" them... so - just visit other people's scrolls, perhaps the wilderness, and click away... smile.gif

I personally think this is neat! I really love the new "Breed" link that shows up once you have observed enough!!

Edited by LadyAmlaruil2

Yes, you just have to "observe" them... so - just visit other people's scrolls, perhaps the wilderness, and click away... smile.gif

I personally think this is neat!

I guess I missed that part! That makes this soooo much more fun!

Agreed.... I also like the fact that eggs / hatchies count for you even if you give them away.... Being an active "gifter" - I don't necessarily have to raise them all the way to get credit for them! Lovin this! smile.gif

Can't please everyone, to be sure - but I think this is a neat addition! Thanks TJ - and all who worked on it!