TJ09

2014-10-22 - Dragon Encyclopedia

One thing that is slightly troubeling me:

i've 2 Tsunami hatchies and a Tsunami egg on my scroll right now, but the stats for Tsunamis say, i've one hatchy only and no egg? blink.gif

Not that it doesn't matter much for me....if i want to know how many of a specific breed i own , i can always count...yeah i know...a bit inconvinient

I had the same exact thought when I read that. Hopefully we'll eventually get an option to add the dragons we currently have to the encyclopedia but if that doesn't happen I don't see myself using this. <:/

THIS!! Just so very much THIS!! I've been here since '08 too, and have better things to do than go click the approximately 150 different dragons on DC a5 bleeding times before they show up in my Encyclopedia. Sorta frosts my cookies that all my collecting is apparently worthless according to the Encyc.

So mmmyeh, nice.

Thanks for a new toy to play with when I have nothing else to do. I will take my own sweet time to unlock information during my stays in Valkemare.

Raise 38 more hatchlings, or observe 187 more hatchlings.

I have no idea where to find 187 or more ND hatchlings though - I better start working on my ND army.

This has been a great (if incomplete) feature so far, and I am very thankful for some of the tips that others have posted.

Thanks TJ, for this feature. I was upset at first that my dragons I'd raised prior to this feature didn't count, but now I look at it as a game. It's fun going through scrolls and fansites to find the dragons I need. It's just something I'll take my time with and complete as a side project.

I think if it didn't list the number of a breed at all, people would be less upset. It seems to be the 0 that is bothering them. It bothered me a bit at first, too, but I have decided to ignore it. Maybe TJ should just remove that particular line.

I am puzzled about people saying that they thought the purpose of the encyclopedia was to tell them how many dragons of each breed they had. I don't know where that idea came from. I didn't get that from anything I read before it came out.

I would like to thank TJ and the beta testers and everyone else who was involved in putting together the tidbits of information we are being offered. I think it will be fun opening it all up, but I am not rushing to get it all at once and I am very glad that my large number of dragons already owned didn't open everything for me.

Apparently different people had very different expectations for what this would be like. Not everyone can be pleased, I guess.

^ this.

clicking on the dragons on your scroll opens it for you if you have enough of them. for me i love the fact that i have an easier place to go snag the images for eggs for the trading section xd.png until now i had a photo bucket folder dedicated to this, now i dont have to worry so much about it.

i do have one question.

i have two CB blue bannded hatchies caught from the AP on my scroll. both of them have this on their info pages (the red box), it even hyper links to the breeds encyclopedia page, which is awesome (i cant recall if it had this as an egg though, though i think it was tbh)

user posted image

yet the CB Pyralspite hatchie or adult i caught in the cave, nor the bred shimmers (which i have unlocked) and tinsels at different stages dont have that attached to their info page. (nor can i see it on my adult dragons that were on my scroll before the encyclopedia was implemented)

is this a glitch? will the hyper linking be adopted to all the dragons pages eventually? is it only for AP eggs?

personally having this added to the info page of dragons with the hyper link to the encyclopedia page for them is wonderful and should be kept if its a glitch smile.gif

edit - i just snagged a 2G nilla Pygmy from the AP and it also has the breed hyper link on it unsure.gif

is this an incentive to catch AP eggs and hatchies? will it carry over to the adults?

edit 2 - my encyclopedia is also having an issue with keeping track of the eggs i've had and hatched.

stats for my Shimmer

Eggs Owned: 1

Hatchlings Owned: 4

Adults Raised: 0

Eggs Observed: 0

Hatchlings Observed: 2

Adults Observed: 5

yet if you look at my scroll you'll see i have

Eggs Owned: 5 (two gold, two silver, one bronze) not counting the ones i've bred and traded btw

Hatchlings Owned: 5 (two gold, two silver, one bronze)

Adults Raised: 0

and looking at my page for the images i have no adults unlocked, all S1 hatchies unlocked, only and only the silver egg & S2 hatchie unlocked.

Edited by Red2111

I really do like it so far, but it would be nice for the number owned to be reflective of everything on the scroll. I still like the idea of everyone needing to complete it, but that inaccuracy bothers me.

I also think of it as a game to complete the encyclopedia. And I'm not to fond of games that I am able to complete within a day or two. So, I'm actually glad that the dragons I already own don't count for unlocking the info of the encyclopedia. <3

I don't know what you're talking about. Dragon Cave only has female hens, no roosters anywhere to be seen.

user posted image

thats not a rooster?

yes, is that a rooster >:) inquiring minds want to know and this post seems to have been buried

It's right in the OP, kinda wondering why more people haven't talked about it.... :u

After clicking around and unlocking some things, I'm probably going to just be doing this as a side thing when I really want to procrastinate on doing things that I should be doing in real life. Thank you, TJ, for adding the feature. I'm sure it will really help new people get into the game, but as an old player, I do kind of wish that it reflected my years of game play.

In one of the threads asking for the dragons we already have to count, TJ stated that the problem was the number never goes down. So any dragon that is abandoned, released, or killed would still be part of that total. Meaning an accurate count will still not show. (Zombies would also mess it up as they still register as the original breed)

Just something to keep in mind for those complaining that the encyclopedia was supposed to give us this feature.

I think that is what is bothering me the most. It's like TJ is totally ignoring all the players that have kept the game going all these years. Without us, the game could have died years ago. But it's like our loyalty and dedication are being trivialized in favor of so-called 'fairness'.

Doesn't seem fair at all to me for my 3k+ dragons to not count.

It's NOT all the clicking that needs to be done.

It's NOT about the time that I'll need to put in to unlock everything.

It IS about the six years I've already dedicated to this game not counting. THAT is what ticks me off and makes this so totally worthless.

In one of the threads asking for the dragons we already have to count, TJ stated that the problem was the number never goes down.  So any dragon that is abandoned, released, or killed would still be part of that total.  Meaning an accurate count will still not show.  (Zombies would also mess it up as they still register as the original breed)

Just something to keep in mind for those complaining that the encyclopedia was supposed to give us this feature.

Then the numbers shouldn't be there at all. They will NEVER be accurate and should be totally removed.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

Why, when there is a choice, are all the silhouettes on the master page the male version of the dragon?? Don't females count?

This is a good idea. But... I have more than 3000 dragons. I have a project - 50 dragons of every species. And I see good instrument for my project. There is I can see how many dragons of this species I have in "stats". But I see "0" in "stats". This is no true. I think, the starting from scratch is the good idea for information and pictures, but for"stats", as for me, the real information is more better.

I'm sorry for my bad English.

Oh no... The desert has been named. sad.gif All of my descriptions have different names for each biome because my dragons were specifically described to live in another land.

Well there isn't "the" desert. There are more than one.

In one of the threads asking for the dragons we already have to count, TJ stated that the problem was the number never goes down.  So any dragon that is abandoned, released, or killed would still be part of that total.  Meaning an accurate count will still not show.  (Zombies would also mess it up as they still register as the original breed)

In true OCD fashion I have all the images on the 'front' page unlocked, it is not that easy to unlock the different breed pages though . . to get all the info and images for some it requires a Loooooottta clicks - as someone else said where do we find so many ND eggs, hatchies .. in fact, where do I find an Old Pink egg, or a Frill egg to observe? @.@

As for the count not going down, that holds true for the way it is structured now anyway - meaning that it already says "Eggs Owned" etc - to get the credit it's easy enough to collect from AP, click and then abandon .. the count still remains the same, it doesn't go down either way.

So I love the "Unlocking" feature, it's kind of fun getting to know all the different species again, but I would have liked to see my true Owned count for each respective breed once I had the breed fully unlocked.

Yay! I've been looking forward to this update! Thank you for making it happen!

This is a pleasant surprise to come to right after exams ended smile.gif

*goes off to scroll through shadowed encyclopedia*

I love the encyclopedia. But I do have a question regarding discontinued breeds. I have three of the frilled dragons. I can breed these dragons but will never have a new one. So I can not observe any eggs of this type. I might be able to stumble on some frozen frilled hatchlings, but will not be able to own any. Is there some plan to unlock the items that are needed by owning or observing eggs of discontinued breeds?

Also, is their any kind of an estimate when more information (observations) will be added? I ask because the frilled dragon does not have any of this information.

Thank you,

Trucky

Some goods and bads here.

Good: It /does/ give me something else to do on dragcave than build neglecteds, song armies, gifts, and lists of AP Snatches and biome blockers.

Bad: As has already been covered, I am also quite upset that my dragons collected pre-encyclopedia don't count. C'mon! YEARS of dragon collecting, and not a single one of those buggers count? Now that is a disservice to the older players.

Second - Frills and Bright Pinks require eggs to be collected or observed in order to close out their pages. Those eggs haven't been available for years. Kind of wish the egg sprite would just be given (or the shadow removed) when the hatchling and adult sprites are closed out.

Third - Let me just throw out there that the number of hatchlings to unlock the Neglected information is ridiculous. I don't think there are that many frozen hatchlings (or in-process successful Neglected experimentation hatchlings) in all of dragcave.

So... this is an interesting project, but it's still flawed (ie: discontinued breeds and the player's scroll not counting for owning things) despite al the beta testing.

Yeah, this is a fiasco, and I will just ignore, ignore, ignore. Didn't need it before all these years, I don't need it now. It doesn't effect the game, so I'm not going to get worked up about it. I have enough to do with breeding my dragons without wasting precious time trying to open information about them that should have just been open in the first place. Since when is an encyclopedia locked? I don't even want to go an LOOK at this thing after reading all the comments.

Seriously, where do they come from?

Quote of the day.

Edited by Ashywolf

Third - Let me just throw out there that the number of hatchlings to unlock the Neglected information is ridiculous. I don't think there are that many frozen hatchlings (or in-process successful Neglected experimentation hatchlings) in all of dragcave.

Adults will work to fill out the info even when it says hatchlings (albeit more slowly), but I agree the number should be dropped. It's just way, way too high right now.

Chickens are a thousand times worse: I only have six bullets of info and I'm being told to "Raise 80 more adults, or observe 400 more adults." I know a certain user (cough cough) who probably HAS that many chickens, but that's just... an absurd amount of time spent clicking. That number should be dropped too. :l

Debating starting a "Suggestions for the Encyclopedia" thing in suggestions (which would address the above things and others).

I wasn't actually expecting how this would affect the eggs and hatchies I'm raising: I suddenly am getting MASSIVE (for me) numbers of clicks on the growing babies. 33 clicks on an ungendered Moonstone! 21 on a Golden Wyvern that just hatched! I'm used to seeing an average of 3 or 4. biggrin.gif

I am totally okay with this; it's just a goofy little consequence that I hadn't thought about.