TJ09

2014-10-22 - Dragon Encyclopedia

Yay! Finally its here!

For those who need/want flamingos I have plenty on pages one and two and on the last two pages of my scroll.

I have this egg and it is labelled as a sunrise in my view. As far as I know, the sun rise/set is determined by the time it hatches, so it's not known with an egg. Is this not so any more?

There are different images for the Sunset and Sunrise dragons. The egg sprite is only added for the Sunrise dragon, no egg sprite for the Sunset. So this is why it shows as Sunrise. Same is for Glory Drakes: no egg sprite available for Night Glory, so every egg gets the link to the Day Glory.

Very minor annoyance, it just triggers my OCD- Zombie "locations" are set to Unknown until "owning one egg or observing five eggs".

Zombie eggs don't exist.

tongue.gif

Very minor annoyance, it just triggers my OCD- Zombie "locations" are set to Unknown until "owning one egg or observing five eggs".

Zombie eggs don't exist.

tongue.gif

Since Zombies don't have a habitat, their location (place of origin) IS unknown, so it's correct, right? wink.gif

I unlocked all the pics expect for discontinued and holiday dragon eggs.

The amount of adults/hatchlings you sometimes have to observe seems a bit ridiculous, though. 180 ND hatchlings, 65 Silver hatchlings? Seriously? blink.gif

Edited by Idril

Since Zombies don't have a habitat, their location (place of origin) IS unknown, so it's correct, right? wink.gif

Exactly, but on pages for dragons that just can't be caught in the cave, the "Location: Unknown" thing doesn't say anything when you mouse over. Zombies do.

So do Bright Pinks and Frills, actually.

Oh no... The desert has been named. sad.gif All of my descriptions have different names for each biome because my dragons were specifically described to live in another land.

Also why don't your stats that you already have in owning the dragons already exist? Won't people that have spent their whole DC career collecting one breed in abundance be a little annoyed by this?

Also I was mostly looking forward to this encyclopedia because I thought it was going to tell you exactly how many of each breed you have which would have been extremely useful. But it does not do that.

Edited by Earth Gurl

Thanks so much!

I love this update, it's surprisingly fun to learn more facts about my favorite dragons, and it's actually a pretty good way for me to pass the time between raising dragons. Also gives me an incentive to click around on other scrolls, besides just helping them out. 83

Also why don't your stats that you already have in owning the dragons already exist? Won't people that have spent their whole DC career collecting one breed in abundance be a little annoyed by this?

It certainly is weird to have 2700+ water dragons only for my water's encyclopedia page to say that I have 5. wink.gif

I made a suggestion thread for that here, so that it would be less weird to have it say you own 1 dragon of the species while you have a bunch.

I am however still for having to fill in the Encyclopeadia, whether you have 10.000 dragons or 1 dragon.

I personally think it's bull. My opinion is that the encyclopedia should be updated in accordance to our accounts and the dragons we already have or just not 'count' our dragons at all. Unlocking? really.. I mean that is fine and all for newer players trying to collect one of each breed.. but what out the older payers who have been here since the cave was a hole in the wall? dry.gif

Sadly, I thought the feature might be fine, but it's technically useless unless it does what it's supposed to do and count all the dragons located on our scrolls.

With all due respect, you have a horseshoe.. almost there.. but pointless. sad.gif

I personally think it's bull. My opinion is that the encyclopedia should be updated in accordance to our accounts and the dragons we already have or just not 'count' our dragons at all. Unlocking? really.. I mean that is fine and all for newer players trying to collect one of each breed.. but what out the older payers who have been here since the cave was a hole in the wall?  dry.gif

Sadly, I thought the feature might be fine, but it's technically useless unless it does what it's supposed to do and count all the dragons located on our scrolls.

With all due respect, you have a horseshoe.. almost there.. but pointless.  sad.gif

Uh... have I missed something? I thought the point of the Encyclopedia was to let you learn more about the dragons on DC, not count how many you have? I'm not trying to discredit your point here, I'm just confused.

Uh... have I missed something? I thought the point of the Encyclopedia was to let you learn more about the dragons on DC, not count how many you have? I'm not trying to discredit your point here, I'm just confused.

Yeah, that's what the Encyclopeadia is for, but basically 50% of the members of DC have decided it should show their total dragons or the whole thing sucks.

I think the holiday dragons should unlock with the two that we're limited when they are first released. I find it a bit of a pain in the behind that I can't see the latest holidays because I need more to bring them out. But, the encyclopedia is not and never has been high on my to do list, so the info will just unlock as it comes along.

Edited by Sir Barton

I think if it didn't list the number of a breed at all, people would be less upset. It seems to be the 0 that is bothering them. It bothered me a bit at first, too, but I have decided to ignore it. Maybe TJ should just remove that particular line.

I am puzzled about people saying that they thought the purpose of the encyclopedia was to tell them how many dragons of each breed they had. I don't know where that idea came from. I didn't get that from anything I read before it came out.

I would like to thank TJ and the beta testers and everyone else who was involved in putting together the tidbits of information we are being offered. I think it will be fun opening it all up, but I am not rushing to get it all at once and I am very glad that my large number of dragons already owned didn't open everything for me.

Apparently different people had very different expectations for what this would be like. Not everyone can be pleased, I guess.

As a long time Dragon Cave fan, I think it's a great new feature. I'm sure there will be some tweaking, but over all, nice! I don't understand all the complaining and it happens every time there is something new. It's a game, relax & enjoy it.

Love it!

I'd love to be able to be given links from people so I can see what they clicked on. Eventually I see it as a "Dude, really? You never helped click anyone's anything?"

But I like the silhouettes all over before they get unlocked. It's like actually playing the "Who's that pokemon!?!?" at the beginning of episodes.

still love it

but hope Alt Sweetlings will be added...

Thanks to ainisarie I can now see all 3 adult Neglected pics, Need a few more hatchies and eggs for the others

Thank you to everybody who offers their scrolls for clicking - you can click on my Dragons whenever you like - but I don't have a lot of rare stuff unfortunately - no Neglecteds, only 2 adult Zombies, 1 hatchling Zombie - but that will Change in a few days I hope

I think if it didn't list the number of a breed at all, people would be less upset. It seems to be the 0 that is bothering them. It bothered me a bit at first, too, but I have decided to ignore it. Maybe TJ should just remove that particular line.

Yes I think that would be the simplest solution, remove it or simply change the wording. The really ill conceived phrasing is I guess what started this whole thing. That is probably where the idea came from that it would count all dragons.

Fun fact: the first dragon I caught was an Undine from the alpine biome, my very first from there, so when I saw the whole thing my first impression was: "Oh yeah great, finally an accurate easy count for all my species!"

That quickly turned into a huge disappointment, first when it seemed the feature was broken, then a second time when I discovered that was not the point at all of this feature.

An overall count for each dragon species would be a wonderful thing and I get that in terms of the encyclopaedia it makes from one POV sense to have it start from 0 for everyone, just as I get that others feel it sucks to have to click so many dragons to get everything unlocked, when they spend years clicking everything already.

But a lot of eyerolls and anger would certainly disappear if the wording was changed to reflect what it stood for. For example if the hatchies and egg counts do not go down then it also makes no sense. As you do not own 10 eggs of one species, because you raised them. So shouldn't it be more like "Raised eggs/hatchies/aduts" counting:" to make clear for now and later that it reflects only what was raised for the completion of the encyclopaedia game?

Does clicking your own dragons help with the totals or do you have to click other people's only? And why do we have to click the adults? They don't need the clicks once they've attained adulthood. Seems like a silly waste of time.

Does clicking your own dragons help with the totals or do you have to click other people's only? And why do we have to click the adults? They don't need the clicks once they've attained adulthood. Seems like a silly waste of time.

Yes, clicking your own does count.