TJ09

2014-10-22 - Dragon Encyclopedia

Is there a topic where we can discuss the problem that a few of us posted about a few pages back with clicking dragons and our observation count not changing?

Is there a topic where we can discuss the problem that a few of us posted about a few pages back with clicking dragons and our observation count not changing?

I'd suggest Help - I don't think there's a thread yet there.

wait.

so literally my give or take 4 years here has been completely disregarded, as has my roughly 1000 dragons? they count for literally nothing?? on the 'basis' of 'fairness'??

mad.gif

I was extremely pumped about this. But now? Now I'm just user posted image.

All the work I've put into my scroll, and others have too, is completely being ignored.

It took me 3 years to reach gold trophy. Not because I don't hoard every dragon I see, but because I have extremely slow internet at home that doesn't allow me to play most nights.

It's taken me ~4 years to reach nearly 1000 dragons. Yes, a pathetic amount compared to others, but for someone who basically has dial up? A flippin' miracle.

If it's a thing with coding being unable to record, fine, I get that. But if that's the case, SAY SO. please.

If that isn't. Just.

Mixed feelings about this now. I'm irked my ~100 hellfires account to ZERO somehow. and if youre going to say just go click them all, when I've barely been able to get 4 hours of sleep a night this semester, yeah, no. I dont have time for that.

I'm happy it was implimented. Yes. But I'm ticked about how our scrolls mean nothing.

Equal playing field? Bull. Those with good internet and time are going to SOAR above others who have dial up and no time when it comes to this encyclopedia.

.... whatever. im probably going to ignore this until either my dragons count for something, or i get over the stab-in-the-back that is my loyalness to this game = nada.

**start rant**

OMG why are you so upset? TJ and Co. have put months and months of time and effort into creating the Encyclopaedia, and you're complaining that you have to give a few extra clicks to use it?

TJ explained in the first post why existing dragons were not going to be recognized. It it's got nothing to do with fairness. It's about keeping the essence of discovering the contents! How boring would it be if it was all filled in already? And it wouldn't be appreciated as much either.

"Oh, TJ's made an encyclopedia?"

**click click click**

"Ok, that was fun. Now I'll....."

**never looks at it again**

Appreciate what's been given to everyone on DC and give some clicks to earn your right to see the contents.

**end rant**

On a completely different (and much happier) note....

I dare say TJ will work out a way to get discontinued breed eggs to show up, now that the problem's been pointed out. Actually, does TJ keep copies of all the eggs released on his own scroll, or is it just from S1 hatchling up?

I also believe that if there is a way to "adjust" the count on our copies of the Encyclopedia to match with out scroll count, TJ will offer it - just further down the track so it don't spoil the fun of discovering the contents.

Edited by rendragyn

The encyclopedia is a nice addition to the site. I like it.

BUT, those stats are pretty useless if they don´t count all the dragons I already have. It would have been nice to see how many dragons of a breed I own and would definitely spare me some manually counting. sad.gif

Why not let the stats count all the dragons but you´ll still have to click all the stages to unlock the pics?

Well, I just clicked on everything on my scroll to unlock everything except for the dinos and zombies. Yay. mellow.gif

I, too, would like to see how many adults/hatchlings of each dragon I already own. I really don't care about how many I've observed, unless it has to be there for the unlocks.

And count me as another that's frustrated that my current collection counts not one whit towards the encyclopedia. I'm so so close to completing my scroll goals, so I'm not interested in raising yet more dragons merely to unlock the encyclopedia. This means that I'm stuck clicking, clicking, clicking, clicking, which is not very fun at all. sad.gif

Well this is exciting, it's always fun to learn more about our dragons. It bugs me a little to see "Adults Raised: 0" when I've already raised a bunch, but I understand why it's like that. Still looks weird.

Well, I just clicked on everything on my scroll to unlock everything except for the dinos and zombies. Yay. mellow.gif

I, too, would like to see how many adults/hatchlings of each dragon I already own. I really don't care about how many I've observed, unless it has to be there for the unlocks.

And count me as another that's frustrated that my current collection counts not one whit towards the encyclopedia. I'm so so close to completing my scroll goals, so I'm not interested in raising yet more dragons merely to unlock the encyclopedia. This means that I'm stuck clicking, clicking, clicking, clicking, which is not very fun at all. sad.gif

Wait. Do you mean you've unlocked every single piece of information or just the adult sprites? If the former is true, after the 200 hatchling views do you need anymore hatchling views? Or is it different for each breed? Cause right now I'm trying to completely fill NDs, but need 192 more hatchling observations. That won't be fun. LOL I just noticed for the whites, I'm done with the adult observations (i think), but need 15 hatchling observations. Not sure if the hatchling observation will continue... xd.png

I "unlocked" as in unlocking the breed to open the page, not completing the breed's page.

ETA: I wonder how we're going to be able to unlock both pairs of alt blacks. How are we going no know which adults came from which version of the hatchling? blink.gif

Edited by Moranna

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I only skimmed the last few pages.

When I do clicks on the eggs and hatchlings in the hatcheries, they don't count at Allure of Neglected Dragons (for the encyclopedia). The clicks I do at Valley Sherwood do record in encyclopedia. Seems very strange that one hatchery works and the other doesn't.

FINALLY! Can't wait to get my first entry. I hope the number of observations to get an entry isn't too low. As much as I want to fill up the encyclopedia first, I also don't want to do it too fast. Thanks TJ! laugh.gif

yay! I am excited! I really wanted to get on the Beta, but I didn't, but now it is finally here! Yay!

Ok, I've been only collecting Dragons for my collection which are Ice and Pebble + 1 adult+hatchling of each species (you could say 'sprite collector') and I don't want to 'clutter' my lair with a ton of 'unloved' dragons so..... views are the only thing I can do to bring this foreward.

It's a nice addition and when I've got time and maybe a lot of nothing to do, I'll click hundreds of dragons to get some mor info, horray!

(please read further before you have to disagree)

No really, no sarcasm here,it's a really nice addition! (a little laggy though), but It would be better if the ones that we already have would count. Startig from scratch is so... discouraging, and on every other site new members always have the disadvantage, it's just normal.

(read on!)

And then there's the problem with the discontinued breeds...

Plus, I don't want to make another Zombie dragon just so that it counts...

not that it's suuper easy to even make one.

Plus, I really, really don't care if others have more info in their dragonwiki o_O isn't it just for personal enjoyment?

(Ok, this is the point that makes everything above meaningless! )

Okay, I see, that if you have a really full lair with a lot, and I mean A LOT of dragons, you may have gotten everything and there is nothing left to 'try out' that new feature. It's like starting a new game and getting all the archievments ever existed at once. Suddenly you have no goals anymore, nothing to do.... and you haven't even started!

I just discovered that if you're using a browser extension like Linkclump, which allows you to highlight as many links as you like and open them all at once, it doesn't count those as views. DC has an issue with links opened in that style, I'm not sure if it's intentional or not. So that might be why some of you are having trouble (definitely frustrating to know that all those links I opened were for nothing, but I'm glad I figured it out fairly early).

Theres nothing we can do regarding the encyclopaedia not recording prior information to its release, unless TJ answers our troubles and works even more on this release than he already has.

I'm rather upset that I can't see the number of each species I owned as well but I don't mind starting from scratch again.

Then just click the breeds you're not REQUIRED to re collect clicking 15 adult dragons will unlock information about the breed and if you can't click 15 dragons then you're just plan lazy that's my opinion and you guys need to read the OP better....

Anyways I unlocked vampires, falconiforms and tinsels but then I got tired and went to sleep lmao loving it so far considering how EASY it is to get the information about the breed since you're not REQUIRED to re-collect them....laugh.gif

Tried that as I said before, all 500+ & nothing! I have all the stages of some minus the egg so why aren't they showing up? And I did actually click them not just the multi-link application!

Edited by BethFroggy

**start rant**

OMG why are you so upset? TJ and Co. have put months and months of time and effort into creating the Encyclopaedia, and you're complaining that you have to give a few extra clicks to use it?

TJ explained in the first post why existing dragons were not going to be recognized. It it's got nothing to do with fairness. It's about keeping the essence of discovering the contents! How boring would it be if it was all filled in already? And it wouldn't be appreciated as much either.

**click click click**

Appreciate what's been given to everyone on DC and give some clicks to earn your right to see the contents.

**end rant**

-snip-

you missed the part where i stated i have essentially nothing for internet at home. the only reason i have internet now? college. (which is laughable considering i don't have time to use it anyway)

a few extra clicks for most people turns out to be about a weeks worth of clicks for me. thats why im PO'd. ive dealt with and collected for four+ years on crappy arse internet, gone thru god knows how many headaches and near missed holiday releases (you know, when eggs are OH SO EASY to get hafriggenha), and what do i get for that loyalty? nada. zilch. just a slap in the face "your dragons count for nothing."

the essence about discovering the contents? Mm... No. I would prefer having at least some of the encyclopedia filled in to start with based on the dragons you own. EVEN if it was just "hey! you own at least 3 Albinos! You know what an albino dragon is!" instead of going into it and seeing that I apparently know none of the dragons on my scroll at all.

also, that "earn your right" comment.... i'll bite my tongue. leave it at it is not appreciated. I shouldn't have to "earn my right" anywhere for anyone. I do appreciate this, yes. don't get me wrong. encyclopedia = yay. but how it's been executed = not yay.

... that all being said. i guess i'm going to have to somehow find the time to go through every single dragon on my scroll to 'relearn' what they all are for the encyclopedia. which will definitely take a good week to week and a half.... ugh. i am happy for the release of this feature. just wishing it meant something besides what it does.

I'd suggest Help - I don't think there's a thread yet there.

Yeah, there wasn't...

So I started a help topic about it.

Hope that's not a problem.

Yeah, there wasn't...

So I started a help topic about it.

Hope that's not a problem.

Seems like a good idea to me smile.gif

Okay, I've only just started playing with this, but a few comments so far:

Everyone starting at 0 and having to actually do the work to unlock it is FAIR.

If you don't want to, don't. I would have hated to have the whole thing unlocked without doing anything. Where's the fun in that? The sense of achievement? A thing is only worth what you put into it. That is life.

Okay, ASSUMING, owned totals could be shown without auto unlocking everything, I'd be okay with that. It might even be a nice thing to have. But as I can go: I have 2 adults and 3 hatchlings of almost every species (and that's it for most) Do I really need a count? Nope. I ONLY want to see this if it doesn't count for unlocking. Maybe anything that is already fully unlocked can give you a full count or something.

But seriously, so many complaints when it's only just opened for everyone. At least take some time to play with it first. It's not meant to be "here's everything, enjoy" you supposed to work for it. The whole point is something new to do. Why can't we appreciate the effort that went into this and look at all the new stuff to find out, when we have some time?

Okay, I've only just started playing with this, but a few comments so far:

Everyone starting at 0 and having to actually do the work to unlock it is FAIR.

If you don't want to, don't. I would have hated to have the whole thing unlocked without doing anything. Where's the fun in that? The sense of achievement? A thing is only worth what you put into it. That is life.

Okay, ASSUMING, owned totals could be shown without auto unlocking everything, I'd be okay with that. It might even be a nice thing to have. But as I can go: I have 2 adults and 3 hatchlings of almost every species (and that's it for most) Do I really need a count? Nope. I ONLY want to see this if it doesn't count for unlocking. Maybe anything that is already fully unlocked can give you a full count or something.

But seriously, so many complaints when it's only just opened for everyone. At least take some time to play with it first. It's not meant to be "here's everything, enjoy" you supposed to work for it. The whole point is something new to do. Why can't we appreciate the effort that went into this and look at all the new stuff to find out, when we have some time?

I agree!

Also, I am having fun finding info about dragons! Already unlocked white completely and eager for more!

Thanks TJ and everyone involved! This will be fun!

**click click click**

Unfortunately it isn't just a few "extra clicks." I had some free time today and went and clicked over 85 Black Dragons. I still don't have all their info. Or even their hatchling pictures. You multiply that by how many breeds there are, and it becomes a staggering amount of clicks (not to mention all the extra time spent actually finding ones to click in the first place).

Personally I wouldn't have minded at all if it was already filled in; it would have made for some good reading. That being said, I do enjoy the discovery part of DC. But I've already done that! I've collected at least two CB pairs of every breed you truly can collect, and many hundreds more beside that. And now I'm being told that I have to go and do that all over again, or waste hours clicking on things I already own / have seen countless times. I'm not kidding when I say hours, either. I had a free hour at work today when no students came in and did nothing but click and I still only have a super tiny amount of data in the encyclopedia unlocked.

So right now, unfortunately, it does feel like using it is going to be more tedious than thrilling. Collecting everything once was fun; being told to start from scratch (or spam click) is not fun. :c

---

On another note, I wonder (hope!) that Frills and Old Pinks might be brought back. With over 100 beta testers, surely the unavailability of them would've been pointed out by now, and some other way to get them put in then "see an egg" if there were no eggs...?

Also kinda bummed about how many breeds don't have info. I knew it was going to happen for some breeds, but there are plenty on there who still have their owners around that are lacking in info. Some (like the Radiant Angels) even had their creators give extra info at the time of release, but their entries say no data... e___e

And on a COMPLETELY unrelated note, hope TJ announces Halloween plans soon; we're getting low on time! xd.png;;

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

For those of you with good internet who are slowly going and opening individual tabs, i suggest just going down your scroll clicking a dragon of every breed if only to "unlock" the dragons.

Also, what's in between the pygmies and radiant angels???

For those of you with good internet who are slowly going and opening individual tabs, i suggest just going down your scroll clicking a dragon of every breed if only to "unlock" the dragons.

Also, what's in between the pygmies and radiant angels???

The newest release; Pyrope dragons