TJ09

2014-10-22 - Dragon Encyclopedia

All from the scroll.

I won't be surprised if this is a browser related thing (I use an old version of Opera) and I have long learned that reporting bugs while using an old browser gets answered with "update it" (and I can't; my PC is old and recent browsers just aren't compatible) so I don't see the point.

If other people are experimenting the same issue on other more recent browsers, then it'll be worth to report it. But since no one is saying anything, I have to assume it just doesn't work for me because my browser so even if I wanted to fill the encyclopedia by observing dragons, I can't.

This is just another reason for me to not care about the encyclopedia...

Edit: It seems it's happening to other players too now? (There weren't any post about that while I was writing this) Then I guess it's worth to report it.

I have the same problem. It's counting some clicks, but not others (so far, I've only counted from my own scroll). I've clicked two hellhorses, but the silhouette hasn't darkened yet; I've clicked two of other breeds and received the picture.

I'm using a current version of Chrome.

Edited by LibbyLishly

So cool! Thanks TJ for letting us know it's now live! smile.gif

I had wondered why the Cave was lagging for me when other pages weren't. Now I know! laugh.gif

Well, in theory new players are still trying to complete collections, and would be doing a lot of this stuff naturally. They can spam click now, like you said, but they don't have to. As they go through the game naturally raising things (like we did!), they'll get everything.

Whereas I did collect all these things, but I don't want to collect them again. For example (just using them because they're convenient, haha), Whites. I love Whites. But I already have a few dozen and don't really want more right now. I don't have any specific goals or projects with them. Going out of my way to grab / click more is tedious. Whereas for a new player who doesn't yet have many (or maybe even any!) White dragons, they already have great motivation to go out there and get more and so on. It's not adding extra work, it's encouraging them to do something they were probably already going to do anyway.

Which I think was the point of the encyclopedia: to have things fulfill themselves as you go about your normal way of playing. But being told you have to essentially do the entire game again to get what you already did...

I mean, I see where you're coming from as well (that new players might feel THEY have to go spam click), but I also think it's even more unfair to ask older players to do all the work twice (since we already did it once) while newer players only have to go through the process once. Newer players also presumably already have motivation to go out and grab one of everything, because it's their first time doing so. But I already did that (several times over!), and thus what was once exciting becomes a repetitive chore when I'm told I have to do it again. ;___;

Good point lol

Idk I feel like the only problem I have is that it doesn't show how much you own of each breed xd.png

Honestly I would prefer to fill the info in by raising/clicking because it gives me something to do besides breeding and trying to trade for things no one want tongue.gif but if it's magically filled in one day that wouldn't bother me either laugh.gif

I agree with the people saying that the page should actually tell you how many of a certain type of dragon you already own. I see nothing wrong with having to unlock everything, as long as it tells you how many of a breed you already have.

Yes. This.

Otherwise I'm always going to be annoyed that the 49 dragons I got before this are going to not show up... the numbers will always be something slightly less...

Why would it be bad if we still had to unlock it?

After re-reading the first post, it says that only actions that would increment clicks count as observing... but for months I have seen that most "clicks" on my own dragons (as well as clicks given to other dragons) very rarely count, so I'm guessing this is the same old issue?

I am having the click issue too. I clicked on all my pyralsprites (8 adults) and the encyclopedia page says I've only observed one. I'm running Firefox, not sure what version but I think it updated itself in the last week or so. Also, the adult pyralsprites don't have a link to the encyclopedia on their view page, but the egg I grabbed from the AP this morning does. Anyone else seeing that?

For the numbers, what if a new stat was simply added?

At the bottom of the stats list, it could say "Total owned", followed by the total number of that breed that actually lives on your scroll.

The "Adults raised" section could just add the date: "Adults raised since 10-22-14" or "Adults raised since Encyclopedia introduced".

This would make the stats accurate and useful for more than just the Encyclopedia, and help people feel like the dragons they've raised prior to today are still being 'counted' even if it won't help unlock entries until they go click them again.

Edited by LibbyLishly

At the bottom of the stats list, it could say "Total owned", followed by the number.

The "Adults raised" section could just add the date: "Adults raised since 10-22-14" or "Adults raised since Encyclopedia introduced".

This would make the stats accurate and useful for more than just the Encyclopedia, and help people feel like the dragons they've raised prior to today are still being 'counted' even if it won't help unlock entries until they go click them again.

I made a suggestion thread for that, figured the same smile.gif

I made a suggestion thread for that, figured the same smile.gif

I'll go lurk there, then. laugh.gif

Also, the adult pyralsprites don't have a link to the encyclopedia on their view page, but the egg I grabbed from the AP this morning does. Anyone else seeing that?

Yep, I've seen that with my Blacks.

Yep, I've seen that with my Blacks.

I wonder if it's supposed to be that way. I hope not.

Regarding some of the actual information uncovered in the Encyclopedia (SPOILERS AHEAD):

I want to know more about Waterhorses' apparent fear/disapproval/hatred/whatever for seastars. xd.png

In the Water dragon info: There are SEABEES? WHAAAAAAT?

Edited by LibbyLishly

At the bottom of the stats list, it could say "Total owned", followed by the total number of that breed that actually lives on your scroll.

We need this.

Definitely.

Overall, I think this is a pretty cool feature. But I agree with what many people have already said: I don't mind unlocking stuff by observing or raising new dragons, but it should definitely tell how many dragons of a certain breed we already have.

Also, this probably has already been asked but, how are we supposed to unlock the egg sprites of bright pink and frilled dragons? A bit hard to find eggs to observe when they're discontinued breeds...

Well I adore the encyclopedia, it's something more to do here :3

I Will unlock them as I go do my usually things.

Its not going anywhere.

It would be Nice to know the Total amount of dragons of each breed, but I dont really mind either way,

The lag is so extreme for me, i cant even hunt. I really hope thats going to be solved.

With my own scroll and about three or four other really big scrolls, I've got all but zombie dragons unlocked. Now the big project will be getting all those evolution line pictures unlocked too. First up: skywings because yay they have observational data!

Waaaait a moment, isn't unlocking all the images going to take at least half a year from now, considering we can only see the eggs of holiday dragons on their respective holidays?

And oh Holly, trying to find neglecteds to observe and click...

Waaaait a moment, isn't unlocking all the images going to take at least half a year from now, considering we can only see the eggs of holiday dragons on their respective holidays?

And oh Holly, trying to find neglecteds to observe and click...

Thats the idea. Its not really meant to be done all at once over a couple of days. The holidays will end up completed really easily when they come around.. I mean, people tend to hunt the AP like crazy and throw eggs back, so there wont be much thought to that.

There are nd hoarders, who keep their scrolls unlocked.. I unlocked what I needed pretty quickly ..hatchy was the harder one of the series. Whatever breed you need.. theres at least one user that hoards it in one form or another. I'm sure there will be a thread or something at some point of people requesting scrolls to view for specific breed hoards (my balloon hoard can unlock most of the balloon section, but im lacking hatchys to do a full unlock.. however, one of the other balloon hoarders has plenty of hatchys to poke at.)

Its not a race. Stressing over it kills the fun of actually learning more about the dragons you already have smile.gif

Overall, I think this is a pretty cool feature. But I agree with what many people have already said: I don't mind unlocking stuff by observing or raising new dragons, but it should definitely tell how many dragons of a certain breed we already have.

Also, this probably has already been asked but, how are we supposed to unlock the egg sprites of bright pink and frilled dragons? A bit hard to find eggs to observe when they're discontinued breeds...

Everyone is welcome to come click on my scroll. I have all dragons in the game, including discontinued ones.

Ahah, was wondering what that new little "Breed: ____" thing was underneath a dragon. Pretty dang sweet, thanks TJ!

I still want to know what's with that rooster. Will there be a rooster released at some point, so we can actually breed chickens?

Well, in theory new players are still trying to complete collections, and would be doing a lot of this stuff naturally. They can spam click now, like you said, but they don't have to. As they go through the game naturally raising things (like we did!), they'll get everything.

Whereas I did collect all these things, but I don't want to collect them again. For example (just using them because they're convenient, haha), Whites. I love Whites. But I already have a few dozen and don't really want more right now. I don't have any specific goals or projects with them. Going out of my way to grab / click more is tedious. Whereas for a new player who doesn't yet have many (or maybe even any!) White dragons, they already have great motivation to go out there and get more and so on. It's not adding extra work, it's encouraging them to do something they were probably already going to do anyway.

Which I think was the point of the encyclopedia: to have things fulfill themselves as you go about your normal way of playing. But being told you have to essentially do the entire game again to get what you already did...

I mean, I see where you're coming from as well (that new players might feel THEY have to go spam click), but I also think it's even more unfair to ask older players to do all the work twice (since we already did it once) while newer players only have to go through the process once. Newer players also presumably already have motivation to go out and grab one of everything, because it's their first time doing so. But I already did that (several times over!), and thus what was once exciting becomes a repetitive chore when I'm told I have to do it again. ;___;

This x1000.

Not allowing our current dragons to count for anything towards the encyclopedia took what would have been an exciting new feature and made it into a tedious chore.